SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

I believe we will all be pleased when the casting announcements are formally made. I have complete faith in Eon and Mendes after the brilliance of Skyfall.
    Has Sam Mendes said he was directing Bond 25 as well? Also I don't want them remaking any Bond film except 1. Thats YOLT I would not mind them remaking that AS LONG as its a true adaptation of the novel.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    They have not said much about him returning after B24. But, I do recall that there was some article were he said he wouldn't do more Spy movies. Who knows if he will change his mind and do it.
    I love Sam Mendes and I trust he will make a great film in Bond 24 and the same if he did Bond 25 but I don't want the producers to delay Bond 25 for him like they did Bond 24 because I would like Bond 25 to be out in 2017
  • I'm pretty certain that after Mendes.....Christopher Nolan will be hired. Epecially now his movie "Interstellar" did not receive that highly anticipated reviews he was hoping for.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Has Sam Mendes said he was directing Bond 25 as well? Also I don't want them remaking any Bond film except 1. Thats YOLT I would not mind them remaking that AS LONG as its a true adaptation of the novel.

Then that would not be a remake, but an adaptation from the same source. So would be MR.
    I'm pretty certain that after Mendes.....Christopher Nolan will be hired. Epecially now his movie "Interstellar" did not receive that highly anticipated reviews he was hoping for.

This is what Nolan said two years ago about possibly directing a Bond film: "It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things."

I think it is obvious that he would like to cast a Bond actor himself rather than work with someone who was chosen by someone else. What I think is likely is that Nolan will be the director of Bond 26, the first Bond movie with the new actor.
    I also think that Nolan will direct a Bond film at somepoint? But just not sure when? Especially seeing as EON are recruiting more people that Nolan likes to work with.

On a seperate note, is their anyone else out there hoping for some fresh Bond 24 news to wake up too tomorrow? ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 10,588
    Is it just me or would Lupita Nyong'o be a perfect Bond girl?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I think Interstellar is getting mixed reviews - but the positive parts sound quite excellent. I do look forward to seeing it. I'd like Nolan to direct a Bond film at some point, yes.

I highly doubt Mendes will direct Bond 25, but who knows? Too far off and doesn't seem to fit his past stated intent. I think he likes variety.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    I'm pretty certain that after Mendes.....Christopher Nolan will be hired. Epecially now his movie "Interstellar" did not receive that highly anticipated reviews he was hoping for.

This is what Nolan said two years ago about possibly directing a Bond film: "It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things."

I think it is obvious that he would like to cast a Bond actor himself rather than work with someone who was chosen by someone else. What I think is likely is that Nolan will be the director of Bond 26, the first Bond movie with the new actor.

Sam Mendes said 1.5 years ago "No 2nd Bond film!". A few months later, late 2013, he was signed up for Bond 24.

Things can easily change. And perseverance, prospect of enhanced creative freedom with good screenplay, and loads of money....can do the trick really. So again, facts and quotes from the past are by no means guarantee for future acts. EON Productions have been eyeing Nolan for a long time already. And Barbara and Nolan have had some lunches over it. Just look at the crew manifest for Bond 24.....Lee Smith, Hoyte van Hoytema....
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Remake of YOLT movie. True adaptation of Fleming's novel. Pick one. It's not possible to do both in one single movie.
    And perseverance, prospect of enhanced creative freedom with good screenplay, and loads of money....can do the trick really.

Good screenplay? Nolan is a writer-director. There won't be any screenplay when Nolan signs up to direct a Bond film as it will be written by himself.

Anyway, I really hope that Nolan does a Bond film only after Craig leaves. I would want his Bond movie to be his vision as much as possible instead of a continuation of Craig's previous movies.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm happy with him directing Craig. But all is so much speculation, too far away.
    I'm happy with Nolan doing most of the writing - but I'd still feel better if others looked at it, worked on it a bit, too.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,456
    I hope there asking earlier Peter Weir then Nolan. With remours DC whant a Bond movie with him taking place in Australia and Peter Weir en Lee Smith are Australian. You don't need John Logan because also help writing on the movie. Also Dennis Gassner work with Weir before on Truman Show. Gassner started on QOS before there ask Sam Mendes for Skyfall, where work with on couple of movies. Sympley said: Crew member preview before a directer going to work with him together on Bond movie and this time that be Lee Smith. Lee Smith edit Truman Show and Master And Commander for Peter Weir.
    Russell Boyd DOP of Master And Commander and The Way Back wil be Cineamatopgraher in that case because his style is more closer to QOS with The Way Back (based on pictures) and light parts of Skyfall (Bond go Silva island) with Master and Commander. If he already going to be in Bond movie, Mark Strong also play in The Way Back. As said before about Hoyte van Hoytema i have doubts about his Skyfall/ TDK side, but there also pictures in QOS style. I think we already can be sjure there wil ask new cinematographer for next movie and Hoyte van Hoytema wil not return. Peter Weir wil be much closer to personal-shaken not stirred Bond/John Logan (Sam Mendes). I don't like Silva's joker part, but he whas more then that and with ''We Have People Everywhere'' in mind...
    I want Craigs run as bond to end with Bond getting killed and I would love Nolan to make that happen. I trust him to kill off Bond the right way.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    To kill of Bond would be very risky. That would mean a new reboot. I personally think it's better to continue the series and let it evolve. The death of the main character would surely be at a point where they would not do more films after.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    God I hope not. That would kill the franchise for sure. 8-|
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,844
    Bond should never be killed off in the films. I know Fleming considered the idea with From Russia With Love, but that was literary Bond (and fairly early on in literary Bond's career, too). The cinematic Bond is too legendary to die. Killing Bond off (presumably just to bring him back in a reboot) would be like making Superman pervious to bullets. It would go against what the character has come to represent: triumph in the face of death, perseverance without fail, always having an escape route.

Regarding Nolan: Part of me is interested in seeing what Nolan would do with the character. He knows how to pull off style and can craft a perfectly enjoyable action flick with well-fleshed out characters and meaningful moments (Batman Begins is a favorite of mine). On the other hand, with The Dark Knight, Inception, and The Dark Knight Rises his style has grown so stoic that his characters, his plot developments, and his style have almost begun to self-parody (e.g. Michael Caine's overly emotional, overly involved, story-telling mentor characters). He also has trouble shooting action, which is kind of a big thing with Bond, and with Nolan onboard there's a 95% chance we would get a Hans Zimmer Bond score, which I'd rather not get.

Nolan would need a very tight leash—someone like Purvis and Wade to help Bondify the script, a second unit to shoot action, creative oversight—and like @Birdleson said, I don't see that happening. But Nolan clearly loves the franchise and has impeccable taste in cinema (Blade Runner and On Her Majesty's Secret Service are two of his favorite films—and mine ;) ), and he does have mass appeal and some level of artistic cred, so it wouldn't be all bad if he helmed a Bond film.
    IMO I feel that they are going to kill off Bond one day or should I say one film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    No they won't... makes no sense. That's their bread and butter...and alot of others including the novels.

I really don't get that reasoning. Everything they are doing now is to reinvent not kill off. Maybe non fans may strongly advocate that....but no doubt it. The movie would bomb and no studio would in their right mind greenlight that.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,844
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    No they won't... makes no sense. That's their bread and butter...and alot of others including the novels.

I really don't get that reasoning. Everything they are doing now is to reinvent not kill off. Maybe non fans may strongly advocate that....but no doubt it. The movie would bomb and no studio would in their right mind greenlight that.

The trouble is that in this age of reboots they could easily kill Bond off in an actor's last film and then start all over again without consequences. They could even end the very film in which Bond dies with "James Bond Will Return." And just why would they do this? To be daring, to different, to be artistic, or simply because the current trend in cinema is to make every franchise darker, grimmer, and with more gravitas. We certainly don't have to worry about this with Bond 24, and personally I think they'll opt to end Craig's tenure on a grand, optimistic note considering the way his films have been arcing, but the possibility exists.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Thank God none if us are part of the creative process in making these films. Killing off Bond, to what end and why? Because it would be different, cool, interesting?? If that be the case then the well of ideas and imagination has truly run dry. If anybody wants Bond dead, by all means conjur up a piece of fan fiction and go crazy but I for one think killing off Bond cinematically is ridiculous
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Thank God none if us are part of the creative process in making these films. Killing off Bond, to what end and why? Because it would be different, cool, interesting?? If that be the case then the well of ideas and imagination has truly run dry. If anybody wants Bond dead, by all means conjur up a piece of fan fiction and go crazy but I for one think killing off Bond cinematically is ridiculous

Agreed...
    Unless they have the intention to go Sherlock Holmes in it. But it won't happen right after SF.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,313
    I am doubtful if there is anything to this bit of "news" on the involvement of singer FKA twigs in the Bond 24 soundtrack, but since there is no other news, I guess I should post it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,456
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FKA_twigs (Dutch: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/FKA_twigs )

She is English. In August and October this year she visit my country and Belgium. She have something with Robert Pattinson (Harry Potter 4)

• edited November 2014 Posts: 6,601
    Seems someone else has polished wha N&P wrote. Never heard of him, but from what you can read here, he is quite in demand: These is what's ond related in the aticle, but read the whole thing to get an impression of the man.

On returning to London, he would start on a rewrite of the forthcoming James Bond movie.

It was early September, and Butterworth, who divides his time between London and a farm in Somerset, had spent the week in conference with Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig, tweaking story lines for the new Bond movie. (He hates corporate limos and had been conveyed every morning to Pinewood Studios, outside London, on the back of a motorbike.) This was Butterworth’s second Bond; he worked on “Skyfall,” too, making the kind of script changes that his twelve-year-old self, watching the movie at the St. Albans Odeon, would be pleased to see. “You know, like Bond doesn’t have scenes with other men. Bond shoots other men—he doesn’t sit around chatting to them. So you put a line through that.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/10/nothing-2

credit DTD
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,400
    It's no wonder Mendes has gone out to Butterworth, he's a very respected playwritier in London and has a few Hollywood credits to his name including the really enjoyable 'Edge of Tomorrow'. It's a great sci-fi concept and a good action movie which is surprisingly funny and really entertaining. Do we think he'll get a screen credit for working on the script, clearly whatever he contributed to SF was not enough.

• Germanlady wrote: »
    Seems someone else has polished wha N&P wrote. Never heard of him, but from what you can read here, he is quite in demand: These is what's ond related in the aticle, but read the whole thing to get an impression of the man.

On returning to London, he would start on a rewrite of the forthcoming James Bond movie.

It was early September, and Butterworth, who divides his time between London and a farm in Somerset, had spent the week in conference with Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig, tweaking story lines for the new Bond movie. (He hates corporate limos and had been conveyed every morning to Pinewood Studios, outside London, on the back of a motorbike.) This was Butterworth’s second Bond; he worked on “Skyfall,” too, making the kind of script changes that his twelve-year-old self, watching the movie at the St. Albans Odeon, would be pleased to see. “You know, like Bond doesn’t have scenes with other men. Bond shoots other men—he doesn’t sit around chatting to them. So you put a line through that.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/10/nothing-2

credit DTD

Hmmm, Jez Butterworth wrote the screenplay of the marvelous sci-fi movie "Edge Of Tomorrow". He also co-wrote "Fair Game" with Sean Penn and Naomi Watts.

Nice bit of research journalism @Germanlady :-). This could be a "ghost writer" for Bond 24 then? Many screenplay writers who contributed to the Bond films end up as uncredited, which is kinda unfair. Anthony Burgess' treatment of "TSWLM" was kind of ridiculous. But his idea of an entire underwater city -Atlantis- where nuclear submarines could be hidden -Liparus- was entirely his invention. Or what about Peter Morgan, whose idea of an ex-MI6-operative out on revenge for "M" (treatment had as working title "Once Upon A Spy") was copied completely in the final screenplay for "Skyfall".