SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

From Nov. 2 - he is a truck driver

Sammy Boy Rogers ‏@sammy_boy100 Oct 29 South East, England
    @achrisevans I'm on the way to pinewood studioswith 29t of steel for the new James Bond set :-)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Great find, Germanlady! I find it completely ridiculous that they are incapable of finding a screenwriter who is capable of writing a Bond screenplay from start to finish completely on his or her own, without any help. Here is what I would to if I were the producer of a Bond picture: I would hire 5 talented newcomers to write 5 screenplays separately. (This would probably cost even less than one screenplay by someone more well-known.) Then I would choose the best script and throw the other 4 in the nearest rubbish bin. DONE.

Anyway, the fact that this guy was tweaking the script in early September is great news as it confirms the screenplay is in a really good shape. (Remember, QOS barely had a script when shooting began.) What I find interesting is that Butterworth also worked on Skyfall, yet we never heard of him back in 2011/2012.
    Anthony Burgess was disgruntled about the Bond franchise and his screenplay was a sort of Apocalyptic one where Bond and civilization would be destroyed.

Anyway, interesting about Butterworth. Mendes has a theatre background, I wouldn't be surprised if wed see more of this influence in Bond 24.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Anthony Burgess was disgruntled about the Bond franchise and his screenplay was a sort of Apocalyptic one where Bond and civilization would be destroyed.

Anyway, interesting about Butterworth. Mendes has a theatre background, I wouldn't be surprised if wed see more of this influence in Bond 24.

Well, Mendes' last Bond film was certainly quite theatre-esque. For him the use of full-depth complex characters with elaborate dialogues and interwoven themes is quite his style. Just think of M's Tennyson-speech in front of the committee. I loved it.

BUT, I think this kind of theatre-esque acting/writing is a bit too "intellectual" for certain Bond fans to like. I love it by the way.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yes, very interesting. Jez Butterworth is a very talented and smart writer, plays and films, (I saw his play Jerusalem which was superb) and he has even directed two of his own screenplays, Mojo, and then later on Birthday Girl with Nicole Kidman.

Barbara Broccoli is an avid theatre goer and I imagine, along with Mendes, she would have had a say in hiring Butterworth.

ColonelSun wrote: »
    Barbara Broccoli is an avid theatre goer and I imagine, along with Mendes, she would have had a say in hiring Butterworth.

Why didn't they hire him in the first place? Or once it was clear they needed someone to rewrite Logan's screenplay? Why do the need 4 (four!!!) writers to write a damn Bond script?

• RC7RC7
    I find it completely ridiculous that they are incapable of finding a screenwriter who is capable of writing a Bond screenplay from start to finish completely on his or her own, without any help.

Logan will have delivered a finished screenplay - but how you imagine one individual knocking out a screenplay without input from elsewhere and somehow still managing to satisfy the needs and whims of the studio, the producers etc, all of which are constantly in flux, I don't know. These things always pass through various hands and will continue to.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,619
    RC7 wrote: »
    These things always pass through various hands and will continue to.

Only until Christopher Nolan gets to make a Bond film. Nobody will rewrite his script that's for sure.
  • RC7RC7
    These things always pass through various hands and will continue to.

Only until Christopher Nolan gets to make a Bond film. Nobody will rewrite his script that's for sure.

We'll see.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I feel much better now if true. Really didn't want it to stop with P&W or even start with Logan but I think all those guys have enough talent to mesh a good script given the alignment if the moon.

But a talented new guy polishing and finalizing that's awesome. And wow peeps will gripe about anything...who cares his many as long as we get a great script. And I'm banking on Mendes and company whom are forever learning even from Skyfall to know when they have the right story.

..and his new play "The River" starts now with Hugh Jackman, who certainly can afford to be choosy...
    In one of his interviews on his production of King Lear, Mendes said he is the first one who did a read through of the script with the actors.

I wonder if there will be a few thespians cast.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Thank God none if us are part of the creative process in making these films.

I disagree. I've read so many good ideas on these boards that if they were applied to movies such as QoS and DAD they would easily be in everyone's top 10.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Why didn't they hire him in the first place? Or once it was clear they needed someone to rewrite Logan's screenplay? Why do the need 4 (four!!!) writers to write a damn Bond script?

Because writing a screenplay isn't something that is a easy job. It isn't often that a single person writes a screenplay alone. Even people like say, Paul Thomas Anderson and Richard Linklater gets input from other people in their scriptwriting. Just because that they are 4 people composing a script doesn't mean the quality is lacking. Its quite the opposite in most cases.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    Seems someone else has polished wha N&P wrote. Never heard of him, but from what you can read here, he is quite in demand: These is what's ond related in the aticle, but read the whole thing to get an impression of the man.

On returning to London, he would start on a rewrite of the forthcoming James Bond movie.

It was early September, and Butterworth, who divides his time between London and a farm in Somerset, had spent the week in conference with Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig, tweaking story lines for the new Bond movie. (He hates corporate limos and had been conveyed every morning to Pinewood Studios, outside London, on the back of a motorbike.) This was Butterworth’s second Bond; he worked on “Skyfall,” too, making the kind of script changes that his twelve-year-old self, watching the movie at the St. Albans Odeon, would be pleased to see. “You know, like Bond doesn’t have scenes with other men. Bond shoots other men—he doesn’t sit around chatting to them. So you put a line through that.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/10/nothing-2

credit DTD

Oh great! The guy that helped to make Skyfall what it is is back so we can have more of flawless logic and great original storytelling. I am so excited!
    Its telling, that you only have to read the name Matt Helm and you just KNOW, whatever he has to say will be negative.

Its always a big ? for me, why people spend their leasure time in any surrounding, that is so incredibly terrible for them. If everything is so flawed, why not just move on and find something, that is more positive? Seriously...why making yourself miserable by free will?
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Well, Mendes' last Bond film was certainly quite theatre-esque. For him the use of full-depth complex characters with elaborate dialogues and interwoven themes is quite his style. Just think of M's Tennyson-speech in front of the committee. I loved it.

BUT, I think this kind of theatre-esque acting/writing is a bit too "intellectual" for certain Bond fans to like. I love it by the way.

Yeah,sure. The dumbest script in the history of the franchise is just too intellectual for us morons out there,that still dare to demand logic and originality in a Bond movie.
    I find it completely ridiculous that they are incapable of finding a screenwriter who is capable of writing a Bond screenplay from start to finish completely on his or her own, without any help.

Logan will have delivered a finished screenplay - but how you imagine one individual knocking out a screenplay without input from elsewhere and somehow still managing to satisfy the needs and whims of the studio, the producers etc, all of which are constantly in flux, I don't know. These things always pass through various hands and will continue to.

Absolutely. It's quite rare for a screenplay to be written by just one writer. Just look at most screen and tv credits - generally two, three or more writers are credited. It's more common for independently produced films (with less money to spend on writers) to stay with a single writer, but on big budget studio pics there is so, so much intense pressure on the Producers and Execs to deliver a hit film (on schedule and within budget) that they tend to jump to a new writer if they feel the present writer isn't delivering what they want or need. In tv this is extremely common - I have personal experience of it.

Also, a writer can become, after months or sometimes even years working on a project, just too close to the material to be truly objective when changes are required or complete re-thinks are asked for. A fresh set of eyes can be the answer, hence getting talent like Jez Butterworth to come in to (objectively) polish a (very developed) script which is close to going into production like Bond 24.

And then there are the writers' professional schedules. Many writers have other projects going on or lined up, so they might have a window of say 4 - 6 months in which they can dedicate most of their time to a specific script. (Logan has many projects to juggle). This is always happening to me and writer friends. Two months back I delivered a first draft of a script to the producers who had hired me for the job. I had two weeks still free to do some revisions for them, which I did, but then I had to start work on a previous project (for which I was already contracted to do a 3rd draft). So it means I was simply not available to do further work on the first project and so the producers hired a new writer to take over from me - in fact someone I know well and recommended to them. Happens all the time.

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    Its always a big ? for me, why people spend their leasure time in any surrounding, that is so incredibly terrible for them. If everything is so flawed, why not just move on and find something, that is more positive? Seriously...why making yourself miserable by free will?

I guess I'm witnessing applied women logic at work here?
    I have been a bond fan long before the Craig era and I will be one long after Craig Groupies like you have moved on. So I guess it is as much my good right to care for my favourite franchise as it is yours to completely focus on Craigs abdominal muscles and not trifle things like storylines.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »

I guess I'm witnessing applied women logic at work here?
    I have been a bond fan long before the Craig era and I will be one long after Craig Groupies like you have moved on. So I guess it is as much my good right to care for my favourite franchise as it is yours to completely focus on Craigs abdominal muscles and not trifle things like storylines.

I don't see this woman logic you speak of. It's you complaining.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Turning to the Adele and FKA Twigs (is that a name?) story. With a bit of good will one may speculate that
    - it is becoming ever more likely that Adele will compose or has already composed and will sing the title song
    - with this being done early, the Bond 23 composer can finally incorporate the theme consistently into the soundtrack.
    But what will be FKA Twig's role? End credits? A live performance as part of the movie (thinking "Stand By Your Man", but done properly)? Or as music accompanying the plot (as "Boom Boom" by The Animals and Charles Trenet)?
  • re: multiple writers. Asking the question -- is Live And Let Die the only Bond movie that didn't have multiple writers? I'm not sure about Die Another Day, which has a credited writing team.

Dr. No: Richard Maibaum, Johanna Harwood, Berkely Mather (credited), Wolf Mankowitz (uncredited)
    From Russia With Love: Maibuam and Harwood (credited), Len Deighton (uncredited)
    Goldfinger: Maibuam, Paul Dehn (credited), Wolf Mankowitz (uncredited, actually just sold Harry Saltzman the idea of the car crusher)
    YOLT: Roald Dahl and Harold Jack Bloom (credited, the latter for "additional story material," but was the first writer on the project.
    OHMSS: Maibaum and Simon Raven (later credited for "additional dialogue")
    DAF: Maibaum and Tom Mankiewicz
    LALD: Mankiewicz
    TMWTGG: Maibaum & Mankiewicz
    TSWLM: Many. Maibaum and Christopher Wood (credited), Mankiewicz (uncredited), others uncredited turning in drafts, including Stirling Silliphant, Cary Bates, etc., etc.
    Moonraker: Wood (credited), Mankiewicz (uncredited)
    FYEO: Maibaum and Michael G. Wilson
    Octopussy: George MacDonald Fraser, Maibaum, Wilson
    AVTAK, TLD, LTK: Maibaum & Wilson
    GE: Michael France, Jeffrey Caine, Bruce Feirstein (credit of some sort), Kevin Wade (uncredited)
    TND: Many, only Feirstein getting a credit. Uncredited included Daniel Petrie Jr.
    TWINE: Neal Purvis, Robert Wade, Feirstein (credited)
    DAD: Purvis & Wade. I don't know if there were other writers or not.
    CR and QOS: Purvis, Wade and Paul Haggis (credited). Quantum included Joshua Zetumer (sp?) uncredited.
    Skyfall: Purvis, Wade and John Logan (credited), Jez Butterworth, Peter Morgan (uncredited).

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Please don't waste time arguing with @Matt_Hell ...not worth it.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Please don't waste time arguing with @Matt_Hell ...not worth it.

True enough. Thanks for the reminder.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Let's just ignore and move on, shall we? Thanks for the finding @Germanlady, you really seem to have people everywhere and we are lucky for that ;)
    @ggl007 and @Marketto007 interesting. I don't know her (will look into it). A couple of months ago the official 007 account welcomed Labrinth into 007. I think that is probably the closest thing to a hint we've had so far but it still confuses me as they have never done that before. What do you think?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Sandy wrote: »
    Let's just ignore and move on, shall we? Thanks for the finding @Germanlady, you really seem to have people everywhere and we are lucky for that ;)
    @ggl007 and @Marketto007 interesting. I don't know her (will look into it). A couple of months ago the official 007 account welcomed Labrinth into 007. I think that is probably the closest thing to a hint we've had so far but it still confuses me as they have never done that before. What do you think?
    As @zebrafish has commented, perhaps we'll have two singers this time with at least two different songs...
    As I said before, I'm glad there's creative inputs from someone else than Logan, who writes great dialogues but who is often rather weak with plotting.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Sandy wrote: »
    As @zebrafish has commented, perhaps we'll have two singers this time with at least two different songs...

I've been thinking and Labrinth could very well be in line to produce the title song or even write it.