SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

doubleoego wrote:
    I think Summer 2015 is highly unlikely.

Firstly, Summer that year is pretty much booked-up with tentpole studio pictures. 3 huge movies are coming out that summer, Star Wars, The Avengers 2 and Pirates 5. Each will be huge, and in the case of Star Wars and Avengers we're talking about potential films that could crack the top 3 box-office earners of all time. All 3 films will play all summer long and there will be the additional crop of counter-programming adult comedies etc. Bond 24 would fare well, it's likely that the film would have the strongest legs internationally over the other films, but domestically it could take a hit. Not a big enough hit to sink the entire ship but the sheer crowded nature of the marketplace will make things difficult for Bond to really stand out.

Secondly, Bond and SF in particular have done wonders in their November slot for over 17 years. Why change? There is a lot of precedent that the films work in that release window. Creative risks should be encouraged but in terms of business it would be foolhardy to ignore such clear evidence, Bond is a proven hit during these months.

I would put money for November 2015. I'm with you guys though, I'd love to see Bond 24 sooner rather than later. But you only need to look at this board to see the admiration for CR compared to the general disdain of QOS. Imagine if QOS had a year to work through it's script issues; the likelihood is that people would have different opinions. I think we'd all rather wait and get a better film (like SF) than have EON rush something out and have it be sub-par (QOS).

The difference is, Bond 24's script got a massive head start. Work began on it about a year ago, that's already given it a significant advantage over the script for QoS. I think the script for Bond 24 is in pretty good shape already and if the cameras were to start rolling in the first quarter of next year, that's still another 6 to 7 months at least to still work on the script and enough time to get the film out at the back end of 2014 without the film suffering the handicaps of QoS.

Remember though that in the wake of SF, Eon have eyes on an auter type director. Odds are that whatever work had gone into Bond 24 by Logan would likely be changed radically. Remember Eon's statement made to Mendes: "We're not interested in any Bond film, we're interested in your Bond film".

Ang Lee types are not going to direct any old script, there going to want to put their stamp over it. Just look at Marc Forster - Forster was very much a higher-brow director than the series usually sought and when he was given the script he overhauled it to match his own tastes. We know for fact that the original script by P&W was pretty much thrown out for QOS (there was talk their draft features a ghost of Vesper stalking Bond, its all in the 007 Archives book) but none of that is to be seen.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    doubleoego wrote:

The difference is, Bond 24's script got a massive head start. Work began on it about a year ago, that's already given it a significant advantage over the script for QoS. I think the script for Bond 24 is in pretty good shape already and if the cameras were to start rolling in the first quarter of next year, that's still another 6 to 7 months at least to still work on the script and enough time to get the film out at the back end of 2014 without the film suffering the handicaps of QoS.

This is a good point and if there was a will to get the film out for 2014 then it could be done and theres no reason to expect it would suffer from the same problems as QOS.

However it seems EON are far more keen to get Mendes back and if thats the case then we are talking 2015 earliest as its not about throwing money at him its about letting have a rest and do some other projects. The only way they could sweet talk him into doing it is by saying forget 2014 and we'll go 2015 or 2016 instead.

My worry is after B24 is Mendes going to demand another rest before starting B25? I guess we are just going to have to get used to the fact that 3 years is the minimum gap we have to wait these days.
    @Risico007 When Bond is 'dead' London was rainy, after then it was grey and dark, but at the end the sky was completely clean and sunny. The real atmosphere was intented to go along the emotional 'atmosphere' or mood of the movie.
    0013 wrote:
    @Risico007 When Bond is 'dead' London was rainy, after then it was grey and dark, but at the end the sky was completely clean and sunny. The real atmosphere was intented to go along the emotional 'atmosphere' or mood of the movie.

Exactly. Also, when Bond was 'dead' he was in a full beard and street clothes, when he came back he was in a suit but unshaven, by the end he was "Bond" again - fully shaven and dressed sharply.

I find it amazing how many people don't catch on to those very common elements of story telling.
    I caught on. I just don't like it I prefer looking at pretty pictures over dark and dreary ones is that a problem?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Risico007 wrote:
    I caught on. I just don't like it I prefer looking at pretty pictures over dark and dreary ones is that a problem?

Your preference is your preference, but being a Bond fan, you must notice that the world of 007 himself is not always pretty.
    Risico007 wrote:

Of course it's not a problem. We're all allowed our preferences. But little signifiers like the weather, Bond's attire, etc, speak to the level of filmaking, or (dare I say) 'artistry' that people like Mendes are able to bring to the table that other directors can't or don't. For those of us who appreciate a deeper, more multi-layered story, it was a very welcome addition to the Bond heritage. It's also why we tend to think Skyfall was a better movie than those who don't catch on to those subtleties, and why we'd welcome Mendes back in a heartbeat.
    @Quarrel, precisely. It's little things like that that can make films so much better to certain viewers.
    True but even metaphorically bond is "dead" far longer then he needed to be. Just my opinion. Like I said Skyfall is ok and I have no problem with Mendes returning I just am not super excited or willing to wait till 2016 to wait for Bond 24 by Mendes when Refn's Bond 24 in 2014 could be just as amazing
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd rather have another Skyfall instead of another Die Another Day.
    Risico007 wrote:
    I have no problem with Mendes returning I just am not super excited or willing to wait till 2016 to wait for Bond 24 by Mendes when Refn's Bond 24 in 2014 could be just as amazing

Same here. I like Mendes, SF is in my top 10, but there are plenty of other talented directors and I'd sooner have one of them in 2014 than Mendes in 2015/16.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2013 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote:

This is a good point and if there was a will to get the film out for 2014 then it could be done and theres no reason to expect it would suffer from the same problems as QOS.

However it seems EON are far more keen to get Mendes back and if thats the case then we are talking 2015 earliest as its not about throwing money at him its about letting have a rest and do some other projects. The only way they could sweet talk him into doing it is by saying forget 2014 and we'll go 2015 or 2016 instead.

My worry is after B24 is Mendes going to demand another rest before starting B25? I guess we are just going to have to get used to the fact that 3 years is the minimum gap we have to wait these days.

What's all the more frustrating is, Mendes has boasted about how much of a fan he is of the series and he clearly is but as someone who is literally being begged to direct another Bond movie, he can pick and choose when he wants to come back. That being said, If there's a possibility to get a Bond film in 2014 with another director, then Mendes as a fan, should step aside and come back for Bond 25 where he would have gotten his rest and not denied the rest of us an earlier release of a Bond film that for all we know could be the Best Bond film ever.(slight exaggeration there but you catch my drift).
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    That's the most important point I think: if Mendes is that bothered about having a rest, why can't he just miss this one out and do Bond 25?

That seems like a win win situation to me. Mendes eventually returns and we get a Bond film in 2014. Seems unlikely now though :-<

I suppose I'll have to get used to the fact that a 2 year gap between Bonds might be a thing of the past.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 96
    I wonder if getting a Bond film every 2 years is just a pipe dream for us. I'm no Hollywood insider, but it seems the entertainment business in general has grown very wary of saturating the market on a continuous basis.

Look at the music biz (something I'm intimately involved in). It wasn't that long ago that artists were expected to release something at least once a year, if not more often. Even the biggest band in the world, the Beatles, released an album every 8 months. Nowadays you're lucky if an artists records an album every 2 or 3 years (unless you're Ryan Adams or Robert Pollard, but that's another story......). And it's not uncommon for an artists to wait 5 years or more inbetween projects (see Justin Timberlake).

Never mind the fact that writing and recording 12 songs takes far less time and money than a major motion picture.

I really think the powers that be have caught on to the fact that the more product you release into the market, the quicker the public 'burns out' on what you offer and sales decline. Give 'em what they want, then hold back a little, then give 'em what they want again. Keep them wanting more.

Hey, it works for women and drug dealers, why not Hollywood?
    @Quarrel, that's how I feel in terms of music and films. Granted, you do see the occasional continuous release with some items in the latter category, but I know the bands I listen to that are still making music seem to release an album every three to five years, which is a tragedy because I end up enjoying the newest album at the time so much that I play it too much and tire myself of the songs, and I then know it's going to be another waiting game with the next one.

With Bond, ever since it started the release dates have changed, whether it was just the next film in an actor's sequence or an actor's change altogether, anywhere from a year to six years. Look at Craig now: four years in between DAD and CR, then a quick two to QoS (which many thought was heavily rushed), then another four for SF, and now we're looking at two to four again. I just hope more news is thrown on the table shortly so we have an idea of when the next adventure begins. Waiting for me isn't as bad when I am fairly certain of what year the film will arrive.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Did anyone notice the last photo released by 007.com on Facebook and Twitter? I wonder if it means something:
    485521_648457985169116_397589956_n.jpg
  • Quarrel wrote:
    Even the biggest band in the world, the Beatles, released an album every 8 months. Nowadays you're lucky if an artists records an album every 2 or 3 years
    Of course marketing is key here, but on the other hand the Beatles' albums were half the duration of today's albums. But less fillers then ;)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @Sandy, you almost gave me a heart attack. I thought that was an official press release for a moment there.
    Just saw that. I wonder if they're timing that photo with these constant director rumors.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote:
    @Sandy, you almost gave me a heart attack. I thought that was an official press release for a moment there.

:D I just question the timing, they have been releasing lines from SF and now they come out with this. I wonder if it is some sort of sign, like white smoke.

• http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/may/29/sam-mendes-james-bond-director

Interesting article about why MENDES should return to the directors chair for BOND 24.

Also I have a feeling that we are going to get some news shortly about the status of BOND 24, particularly with that picture posted above from the 007 website.

Sandy wrote:
    Did anyone notice the last photo released by 007.com on Facebook and Twitter? I wonder if it means something:

when did this happen?

• edited May 2013 Posts: 6,601
    12 hours ago.

But there are more, like these, so maybe it means nothing in particular
    http://ow.ly/i/2dFGg
    http://ow.ly/i/2dFCE
    http://ow.ly/i/2bpIM

etc
    https://twitter.com/007
    Risico007 wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

when did this happen?

They have posted lots of various ones on facebook for a while now.
    wow ok I am looking forward to Bond's return

I think everyone who saw Skyfall all will agree the end scene left all of us wanting Bond 24 sooner rather then later (Perhaps the File M gives bond at the end is what the PTS is about)
    @Risico007, the mysterious/ambiguous file/note/mission at the end of a film is just a way to signify that there will be another one. I doubt they had a clear cut idea of how they'll tackle 'Bond 24' when doing the ending sequence in M's office. Though, regarding MI:GP:
    As Ethan leaves his team and walks away in the finale, you can hear quite a few details of what his next mission is. I wonder if they're going to go off of this for M:I-V or not.
    I love the ending for Legacy Ghost Protocol and Skyfall all 3 films left me wanting more.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 136
    pachazo wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

I also really miss the films being released in the summer. I have such great memories of it and would love to see a Bond movie in the summertime again someday.

Me too! When was the last summer Bond - LTK?

Still, October/November seems the tradition now and there seems to be less competition.
    Not getting the hang of this quote feature am I ?!
    Not getting the hang of this quote feature am I ?!

If you're trying to reply to someone via quote, simply click 'Quote' next to their comment, and then enter your comment below everything of theirs that is in quotes. For example:

(quote="Username")Comment[/quote]

My Comment