SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Logan makes great dialogues I think. Sometimes great characters. His plots are often mediocre however. I'm actually glad his script has been rewritten.
    i am assuming that P&W just re-structured the plot and left the dialogue and other stuff the same. that is the only explanation for the quick turnaround.

i agree with ludovico. john is good with dialogue and charaters but plot is not his thing ... evidence penny dreadful!
    mnhettia wrote: »
    i am assuming that P&W just re-structured the plot and left the dialogue and other stuff the same. that is the only explanation for the quick turnaround.

i agree with ludovico. john is good with dialogue and charaters but plot is not his thing ... evidence penny dreadful!

You can't make story and plot changes without changing the dialogue. The characters' dialogue is intrinsically tied in with what they are experiencing in the story, the action, the drama, how they react to situations and to other characters.
    true colonelsun, maybe they jazzed up the action and the humor then?
    mnhettia wrote: »
    true colonelsun, maybe they jazzed up the action and the humor then?

It's hard for anyone outside the production to say for sure, but reports suggest P&W did a substantial re-write.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    What did Logan do then, have Bond sitting in M's office, listening to M prattle on about his IRA ordeal for the whole movie?
    I'm just annoyed we had to wait this long to get a working script completed. Furthermore, had Mendes not come back, would Babs and Michael have green-lit Logan's script for whichever director to shoot? I don't know, I'm not as confident as I'd like to be with the producers' decision-making. Too many variables and random luck flying around.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    What did Logan do then, have Bond sitting in M's office, listening to M prattle on about his IRA ordeal for the whole movie?
    I'm just annoyed we had to wait this long to get a working script completed. Furthermore, had Mendes not come back, would Babs and Michael have green-lit Logan's script for whichever director to shoot? I don't know, I'm not as confident as I'd like to be with the producers' decision-making. Too many variables and random luck flying around.

As I've said on much earlier posts, script re-writes are very, very, very common in the film game.

For whatever creative reasons, the producers and the director, Mendes, have all decided, as is their right, the Logan draft/script would develop better (and perhaps faster as the production deadlines closed in) if they hired the experienced Purvis and Wade team.

That's what they did. All that matters is that the script has advanced in a positive way, and with the green-light now flashing, it appears that is indeed the case.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ColonelSun wrote: »

As I've said on much earlier posts, script re-writes are very, very, very common in the film game.

For whatever creative reasons, the producers and the director, Mendes, have all decided, as is their right, the Logan draft/script would develop better (and perhaps faster as the production deadlines closed in) if they hired the experienced Purvis and Wade team.

That's what they did. All that matters is that the script has advanced in a positive way, and with the green-light now flashing, it appears that is indeed the case.
    I totally agree. We outside don't know ..only speculate. Everybody involved seems pumped and ready ...studio ..producers ..director ..actor ..everybody.

Mendes job is to know and tell a good story. He's the helm here. Craig k owns a goos s a good story. The producers trust and waited for Mendes. So breathe and don't panic lol.
    Typing on phone ..sorry typos
    I would be more nervous if it wasn't for the fact that the same source reporting the 'substantial' rewrite also said everyone is excited by it.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited August 2014 Posts: 108
    How long does it take to write a Bond screenplay roughly? Over the years, particularly with SF, all this talk about the script being this and that and having the 4 year gap to iron out the script to make it super-duper great (yeah right) and yet for Bond 24, Logan's been working on it pretty much since mid to late 2012 only for people involved to be unimpressed after he spent well over a year working on it and then P&W come along and pretty much allegedly give us a brand new and better script in about a month?
    I only know one thing: Any studio exec who claims that "Logan's script was put aside" is exaggerating. There is no way that P+W crafted -- from scratch -- a "wholly new," "superb," "finished," "production-ready" script in the time-crunched ~28 days between the initial "Logan is out" gossip circa late June and the "script is done" gossip circa late July. That is less than a month and the script quality would suffer as a result.

In reality, P+W likely did a significant rewrite of Logan's last draft, yes, but they didn't start from scratch. Furthermore, P+W "starting over" would mean discarding most of Sam Mendes' ideas and input that he has put into Logan's various drafts over the past year. Mendes was quite hands-on with the Skyfall script and, in his latest interviews, Mendes indicated he was also knee-deep in Logan's script revisions for Bond 24. I don't think Mendes would tolerate all his ideas thrown out with the bathwater. In fact, Mendes asking P+W to rewrite Logan's script seems to indicate Logan wasn't meeting Mendes' standards.

It will be interesting to see what the film's credits will show in terms of script accreditation. I think the "Logan's script was put aside" gossip might be a classic example of rumor outrunning reality.

Strelik wrote: »
    How long does it take to write a Bond screenplay roughly? Over the years, particularly with SF, all this talk about the script being this and that and having the 4 year gap to iron out the script to make it super-duper great (yeah right) and yet for Bond 24, Logan's been working on it pretty much since mid to late 2012 only for people involved to be unimpressed after he spent well over a year working on it and then P&W come along and pretty much allegedly give us a brand new and better script in about a month?
    I only know one thing: Any studio exec who claims that "Logan's script was put aside" is exaggerating. There is no way that P+W crafted -- from scratch -- a "wholly new," "superb," "finished," "production-ready" script in the time-crunched ~28 days between the initial "Logan is out" gossip circa late June and the "script is done" gossip circa late July. That is less than a month and the script quality would suffer as a result.

In reality, P+W likely did a significant rewrite of Logan's last draft, yes, but they didn't start from scratch. Furthermore, P+W "starting over" would mean discarding most of Sam Mendes' ideas and input that he has put into Logan's various drafts over the past year. Mendes was quite hands-on with the Skyfall script and, in his latest interviews, Mendes indicated he was also knee-deep in Logan's script revisions for Bond 24. I don't think Mendes would tolerate all his ideas thrown out with the bathwater. In fact, Mendes asking P+W to rewrite Logan's script seems to indicate Logan wasn't meeting Mendes' standards.

It will be interesting to see what the film's credits will show in terms of script accreditation. I think the "Logan's script was put aside" gossip might be a classic example of rumor outrunning reality.

Thanks for this. This sounds like the most sensible explanation and what may very likely be the case here in how things went down. I just hope the same mistakes with SF's script hasn't been repeated here this time around.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I hope casting news is forthcoming, but we may have more location info for a while.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

That's very well put, @ColonelSun. Thanks again.
    So not just a small addition of humor/action/etc. as needed. Not just tweaking of dialog (but yes, it would change as the script changed). But also not throwing out Logan's script entirely; no.
    This is very good news - that all the major parties in charge of the film are now happy and excited to move forward, satisfied with the script now.

I know the script is critically important, but for sure so does Mendes. So now I'm looking forward to news on different fronts: location, cinematographer, and surely we should hear something (even if only strong rumors) about casting within a couple of months.

Just think - in 5 years or so, Logan's original draft may be online for us to download - another Bond collector "what could have been?" artefact, like Anthony Burgess' TSWLM, or the Connery WARHEAD, or the Feirstein TND (all of which I have read).

I also have a copy of P&W's first TWINE draft and it is terrible. Dana Stevens and Feirstein actually improved it, believe it or not. They don't get the Bond character (see how gloomy and unfunny he is in DAD, their only solo effort), or his world. Let's hope their input has been exaggerated by gossip columnists.
    Is Burgess' TSWLM available? According to his autobiography he had not finished it.
    I don't not have that one but like other "Spy Who Loved Me The Script Wars" material, there must be copies out there. Details of the plot have surfaced.

I have copies of Warhead and Purvis and Wade TWINE. Both are terrible BTW ... but Connery's effort is better believe it or not. Perhaps they should have hired Sir Seane to revise Logan's scrip!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    StoneShi wrote: »
    I don't not have that one but like other "Spy Who Loved Me The Script Wars" material, there must be copies out there. Details of the plot have surfaced.

I have copies of Warhead and Purvis and Wade TWINE. Both are terrible BTW ... but Connery's effort is better believe it or not. Perhaps they should have hired Sir Seane to revise Logan's scrip!
    Just briefly, why the TWINE draft is terrible?
    It's basically identical to the final movie, only with duller action scenes (Bond keeps hitting people over the head with his gun - it gets repetitive). It reads like fan fiction. It uses the "F word" like they think they're the next Tarantino. When Bond kills Renard, he says "The heartless killer" ... that's the whole line of dialogue. How is that a one-liner?

The script for DAD as it appears onscreen is better than the first draft of TWINE.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks, @StoneShi

That's a reason why all drafts need a phase of rewriting...

Yes I know about the plot of Burgess TSWLM, he talks about it a good deal in You'be Had Your Time. Close to zilch was used, after all he was writing something akin to the anti Bond.
    It's basically identical to the final movie, only with duller action scenes (Bond keeps hitting people over the head with his gun - it gets repetitive). It reads like fan fiction. It uses the "F word" like they think they're the next Tarantino. When Bond kills Renard, he says "The heartless killer" ... that's the whole line of dialogue.

What source are you using? In this draft it's "She's waiting for you":
    http://www.universalexports.net/scripts/twine.shtml
    That is the Dana Stevens draft - the only version available online for years. The P&W first draft opens in Cuba, and Mr Bond uses a jet pack during the Thames chase, not a boat. None of it gels.
    Why are we stuck on TWINE?? Mendes is directing P&W not Apted.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Why are we stuck on TWINE?? Mendes is directing P&W not Apted.

Agreed. Richard Maibaum may have said that "Bond films are not written or directed, they are produced", those times are fortunately over.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 503
    Good to hear that the script is finished now in the immortal words of monty python... get-on-with-it.png
    http://schmoesknow.com/hot-scoop-bond-24-enlisting-blue-is-the-warmest-color-actress-2/27660/

Schmoes Know (who have a very good track record when it comes to scooping news) have confirmed that Lea Seydoux is the frontrunner to join Bond 24.

lea-seydoux-saint-laurent-photocall-2014-cannes-film-festival_1.jpg
    I broke that news in the bond girl rumor thread and @Samuel confirmed it was a load of bollocks.
    Hopefully its bullocks. This is just too girly. Where are the beautiful women?
  • Google "Lea Seydoux Lui". It was not unnoticed here when it was on the walls of Paris :)