SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Risico007 wrote:
    Gilroy has nothing coming up and inspite of its flaws The Bourne Legacy is a decent Action films.
    With a better writer (logan) Gilroy could give us a decent bond film.

The Bourne Legacy was awful.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Babs dialed up Kathryn Bigelow. I don't think she's busy in the immediate future and she's a damned good director. The only negative I see is that Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker both, stylistically, reek of Bourne so she'd have to prove she can capture the elegance of the Bond universe, even in the midst of the grit and darkness. Something that Campbell, Mendes, and to an extent, even Forster managed to do.

Yes, I really do think Babs would love to have the first woman director on board. Bigelow must be the hottest property in town right now - she could probably get almost any project she wanted. But Bond is also a more enticing prospect for a successful director than it used to be.

I have to 'fess up to not having got round to seeing any of her films though...
    Getafix wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Babs dialed up Kathryn Bigelow. I don't think she's busy in the immediate future and she's a damned good director. The only negative I see is that Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker both, stylistically, reek of Bourne so she'd have to prove she can capture the elegance of the Bond universe, even in the midst of the grit and darkness. Something that Campbell, Mendes, and to an extent, even Forster managed to do.

Yes, I really do think Babs would love to have the first woman director on board. Bigelow must be the hottest property in town right now - she could probably get almost any project she wanted. But Bond is also a more enticing prospect for a successful director than it used to be.

I have to 'fess up to not having got round to seeing any of her films though...

I feel her Bond film would end up the darkest of them all. Bond would be alcoholic, disarming Bombs in a t-shirt, and water-boarding Q for taking the last doughnut.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is brilliant that Logan is doing the next two scripts. We get to have him continue to integrate the old characters he helped to freshly introduce in Skyfall and really give Bond some more great continuation in regards to delving into his psyche and what makes him tick.
  • RC7RC7
    Very interesting. Whether the plots intertwine or not (I assume not) I think it's safe to say Logan has a character arc figured out for at least the next two. This is good news.
    Ithink there are 2 possiblities we can strive from this

1 Quantum will be back in both bond 24 and 25

2 cliff hanger ending?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, they said both films will be standalone films, shooting down the rumors.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Risico007, they said both films will be standalone films, shooting down the rumors.

I would argue Skyfall was stand alone yet had a cliff hanger ending same with Royale
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote:
    Ithink there are 2 possiblities we can strive from this

1 Quantum will be back in both bond 24 and 25

Why? Surely Logan wouldn't want the shackles? I don't understand why one would assume this.
    Risico007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I would argue Skyfall was stand alone yet had a cliff hanger ending same with Royale

How was it a cliffhanger ending?

Creasy47 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

ok really? I am the only person on the planet that wondered what was in the folder M gave Bond really?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think the rumours being shot down were of back-to-back filming. I'm sure the next two will be connected in some way, story wise. This should also mean releases in 2014 and 2016, so at last some pattern again.

It's great to read Logan read Fleming, by coincidence, the year before he was hired to work on Skyfall. I wonder if this helped at all?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

ok really? I am the only person on the planet that wondered what was in the folder M gave Bond really?

That wasn't really a cliffhanger, though. It was just there to show us that Bond was back and would be doing missions again and we would meet him again in Bond 24 with other missions under his belt in between the time frame. I got nothing else from it, and I don't think it was meant to mean anything.
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I think the rumours being shot down were of back-to-back filming. I'm sure the next two will be connected in some way, story wise. This should also mean releases in 2014 and 2016, so at last some pattern again.

It's great to read Logan read Fleming, by coincidence, the year before he was hired to work on Skyfall. I wonder if this helped at all?

I'm sceptical they'll link the stories. There will definitely be some character continuation but after the financial success of SF will they really put all their eggs in one basket? By that I mean if 24 for some reason doesn't hit the spot, they don't want to be tied down to resolving it in 25. I imagine they'll leave it as malleable as possible.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 40,465
    Samuel001 wrote:

Oh, is that so? I had no idea. I thought it was for both of the films to tie together somehow.

@Risico007, that's not really a 'cliffhanger' when you know it's just another mission. It's not like it was something set up that others know about, but we don't. At the time of filming that scene, the script wasn't even started yet for 'Bond 24,' I'm sure.

It's the same as saying 'JAMES BOND WILL RETURN' is a cliffhanger.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Tomorrow, MGM has a board meeting and an investor call. This is intresting, because last time when MGM had a similar event. They did announce the return of John Logan. So we may or may not get something about Bond 24 tomorrow, and if we get something. I think we get a release date. So, keep tuned.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,745
    MrBond wrote:
    Tomorrow, MGM has a board meeting and an investor call. This is intresting, because last time when MGM had a similar event. They did announce the return of John Logan. So we may or may not get something about Bond 24 tomorrow, and if we get something. I think we get a release date. So, keep tuned.

Well they also released their annual figures just recently, this being the first year in awhile they managed a profit with the success of Skyfall and The Hobbit. So it may just be about that. But I'm sure we'll get something about Bond 24 soon now that awards season is done.

In other news, John Logan himself has confirmed he's back for the next two Bond films:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21799563

and
    Skyfall box office updates on major sites end March 10th at $1,108,348,855.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Well they also released their annual figures just recently, this being the first year in awhile they managed a profit with the success of Skyfall and The Hobbit.

It's a nightmare to try to map such holdings reports on intuitive concepts (like, earning or loosing money :) ), in particular when you have a debt contracted not because of losses year after year, but because the buyers didn't expect the credit crunch when they bought it almost 10 years ago... Other reports (including Mgm's own available on their site - for a few hours yet ?) report positive net incomes for the previous years, for instance.

You can hear one conference call from a few months ago on mgm.com (in which we learn nothing new obviously), it's 30 minutes long, and the Q&A session are the last 10 minutes. One stockholder asked if Bond would be back to the every 2 year release format, and the answer was to care about the script before, but the goal is 2014, and surely 2015 otherwise. It was also explained the Danjaq financials results are confidential, which prevents MGM from giving their own with respect to Skyfall, as elementary mathematics would then reveal Danjaq's !

Tomorrow this conference call may be replaced by the new one.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    So it may just be about that. But I'm sure we'll get something about Bond 24 soon now that awards season is done.

Well if they want to make their IPO a success, they may start making promises, and that could impact Bond. Don't forget that the news John Logan was working not on the next Bond, but on the next two Bonds, came out in the same period of time when we learnt the Hobbit would be made of three films, not two. All this could be well related : promises of steady, and not "exceptional", profits for a few years.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Skyfall officially ended its box office run March 10th at $1,108,348,855.

Tell that to the theaters still selling tickets for it :) It's still playing three times a day at its "home" (Odeon Leicester Square) you know ! In France, I'd say there's a dozen theaters (of the 100/300 seats category) selling tickets for Saturday viewings. I know I'm preaching in the desert here, but IMO you should remove the 7 last digits mininum, and use the word "estimates" ( of 1,11$bn then) (CR's "final" figures were updated just recently !).

Now about Boyle, still from the last issue of Empire :

"Boyle is surprised how much he liked Skyfall. He's such a traditionalist when it comes to Bond - Sean Connery's his man. (...) "I really enjoyed it". [About the Olympics bit] : "We did them a favour, but they did us a favour as well. It was mutual. Barbara Broccoli was very good to us, because they were right in the middle of it. In fact they were behind. It looks easy now it is such a success, but they needed money". Mendes admitted to Boyle that the budget was tight. Foreign locations had to be scrapped, limitations were being enforced on 007's new director. Boyle could sympathise, but he needs restrictions. "You do better work, and he did a really good job of it. I was really proud, because Naomie Harris was in it. He rang me up about Naomie and asked about her (...) The most wonderful thing for me is that Craig is such a good actor" Boyle gives the words a trademark intensity, speaking in italic."

He then adds the Queen asked Craig to stay around so he could have his picture taken with her household staff.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-investors-no-ipo-filing-429773

Bond24 will be released within three years. Some say that the shooting will perhaps comence at the end of the year.
    Why was the budget so squeezed on SF?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    First Bond film after MGM exited Chapter 11 and Quantum Of Solace not doing as well as hoped are the reasons, I think.

Bond 24 could have some big money spent on it though, if need be.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Skyfall officially ended its box office run March 10th at $1,108,348,855.

Tell that to the theaters still selling tickets for it :) It's still playing three times a day at its "home" (Odeon Leicester Square) you know ! In France, I'd say there's a dozen theaters (of the 100/300 seats category) selling tickets for Saturday viewings. I know I'm preaching in the desert here, but IMO you should remove the 7 last digits mininum, and use the word "estimates" ( of 1,11$bn then) (CR's "final" figures were updated just recently !).

Noted and edited my original post. What I meant was there were no official numbers on the major sites past that date. You could say I meant 'box office run' as 'weekly updates' from the major sources.

In other news..
    Ben Wishaw hints at possibly getting out in the field in Bond 24:
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=10843&t=mi6&s=news
    MrBond wrote:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-investors-no-ipo-filing-429773

Bond24 will be released within three years. Some say that the shooting will perhaps comence at the end of the year.

Looks to me that 2014 is the plan. I think the prods are just trying to hammer the script together and are likely talking to directors now. If 2014 is the release date I'd expect an announcement very soon revealing it. Tentpoles have to mark their territory very early on.

But I think the prods are not committing to 2014 until they have the script in good enough strength and have a director they have faith in attached, and if that means a 2015 release then I think the project will take longer coming out of the gate.
  • RC7RC7
    But I think the prods are not committing to 2014 until they have the script in good enough strength and have a director they have faith in attached, and if that means a 2015 release then I think the project will take longer coming out of the gate.

I agree. The Hobbit will keep MGM ticking over for the next two years. It's no skin off their nose if Bond doesn't hit in 14. I would say they need to avoid the big guns in 15, but given SF's performance I don't think they really need to worry. The appetite will be there, as long as they can follow up with something great, they'll be laughing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond is a big player and he gets autumn releases but still, 2015 is a rampacked year fir movies and also, Avatar 2 is released in the backend of 2015. On top of that, to credibly get as much out of Craig we need the next release in 2014. Get in!!
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    Bond is a big player and he gets autumn releases but still, 2015 is a rampacked year fir movies and also, Avatar 2 is released in the backend of 2015. On top of that, to credibly get as much out of Craig we need the next release in 2014. Get in!!

Craig's got two left in him. I don't see them going beyond that. I reckon his tenure will be wrapped up within the next 5 years.
    RC7 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Craig's got two left in him. I don't see them going beyond that. I reckon his tenure will be wrapped up within the next 5 years.

Agreed. I know Babs can't stop gushing about him but Craig has 2 films left in him, maybe a 3rd depending on when the films gets going. No actor is bigger than Bond not even Daniel Craig.

The highest priority for the prods is that Bond 24 is a good movie, mediocre fair won't cut it after SF, the bar was raised to high. Another QOS or Brosnan-type effort which divides opinion won't cut it otherwise the goodwill of SF would have been for nothing. If the film is second-rate then they would have essentially made a rod for their own backs and we'll have another post-QOS fallout.

All the press interviews from when SF came out said that the extra year developing script was what made SF work and I can see the prods making the decision to take the time and work on the script regardless of how much MGM want to move forward with the film. If you ask me its the main reason why EON haven't revealed a release date, if 2014 was set in stone they would know by now and would have said something, I think its likely the release will be Nov 2015.
    NO there is no need for a third year!
    I am cautiously optimistic on 2014... whilst I agree that EON would want a firm director and solid script, they've certainly got the latter! I would also imagine that there is (at least) a shortlist of very capable directors lined up - any of which they'd be happy to do B24 with.