SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes but it's only a film and the series is hardly realistic.

I would like it if Bond 24 contained no earpieces and no MI6 other than the post PTS scene (unless the Bond girl is an MI6 agent).

They aren't "only films" to me.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    You've missed my point. My point is, a film isn't real life, especially a Bond film. So reality hardly matters.

So it doesn't really matter if in reality MI6 would be heavily involved. I think it's more entertaining if M stays in the office and if Bond doesn't have an earpiece on all the time.

Just like it's more entertaining that Bond drives around in a machine gun equipped Aston battling a British agent turned camp super hacker terrorist instead of him doing paperwork most of the time.

Same with the new Q (although I did like him). I'm not bothered if in reality, MI6 would employ some geeky computer whizz. I liked it better when Q was the old gadget master.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,425
    You've missed my point. My point is, a film isn't real life, especially a Bond film. So reality hardly matters.

So it doesn't really matter if in reality MI6 would be heavily involved. I think it's more entertaining if M stays in the office and if Bond doesn't have an earpiece on all the time.

Just like it's more entertaining that Bond drives around in a machine gun equipped Aston battling a British agent turned camp super hacker terrorist instead of him doing paperwork most of the time.

Same with the new Q (although I did like him). I'm not bothered if in reality, MI6 would employ some geeky computer whizz. I liked it better when Q was the old gadget master.

Exactly, people talk about the need to keep up with the times and stay realisitc as if Bond was ever remotely realistic. John Le Carre who actually worked for MI6 slated Fleming and his books for being fantastical nonsense.

There is no need to depict Bond as some gizmo laden cyber warrior unless the screenwriters decide that is what's needed. Bond exists in a parallel universe, not the 'real world'. In SF the last part of the movie actually strips away all the ear pieces and modern communications stuff - it sort of goes from one extreme (too much technology getting in the way of the story) to another (a world where people don't even have mobile phones any more). There's a happy cinematic medium between these two that most films manage to find - one where technology is subordinate to the story the film makers want to tell and not the other way around.
    Hopefully this is the case now with Wishaw revealing his thoughts?!!! Fingers crossed!
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Jeeze, February was a busy Bond month. On to March....

In the BBC News article on Mendes' departure, they apparently got hold of John Logan, but only managed to get him to report that the script was 'coming along very well'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21687612
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, that's excellent news to take away. Thanks for the heads up.
    I wonder whether Logan has a say about who could get hired?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I wonder whether Logan has a say about who could get hired?

I'd like to think he would.

This is good news at least. Something worthwhile for director's to read as well.
    Guy Ritchie, Ang Lee, and Martin Campbell are all said to be considered as 'follow-ups' to Skyfall's Sam Mendes backing down from Bond 24.

More here:
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/07/guy-ritchie-named-as-favourite-to-direct-skyfall-follow-up-3532062/

Interesting, though:

1. Ritchie is not known for his drama, but for his eye. I think the producers know they could get another left-fielder like Mendes, and Ritchie isn't that.
    2. Ang Lee is not from England, or any European country, so history says he won't make it (but Never Say Never).
    3. Martin Campbell has clearly stated he's done all he wants with Bond, though he is my personal pick to make a return.

But the main point, #4. that is, is that it is pointless to speculate. I'm sure the producers have at least contacted those they are considering, and may even have one singled out by now.

It should only be a few months until we know, at least mid-summer. Why? Because the film will be out in 2014, so production will start relatively soon. Why? Because if they were going to wait until 2015, Mendes would be directing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @JWESTBROOK, I agree: Campbell is my personal pick to make a return, as well. Has it been confirmed for a 2014 release, then?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @JWESTBROOK, I agree: Campbell is my personal pick to make a return, as well. Has it been confirmed for a 2014 release, then?

Well of course no confirmation, but why would Mendes turn down 2015? He said he needed to focus on his projects for the next year, meaning (I'm assuming) pre-production would have to be in late 2013. If they delayed pre-pro until 2014, why couldn't he return?

I'm thinking 90% Holiday 2014, and the 10% is really something happening from now to the start of production that would be unexpected for Eon, like an actor dropping out, etc.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Campbell returning would be fine by me. I think he is a great director and would welcome him with open arms. I am curious though: did he shoot the action in CR himself or did he have a 2nd unit director? Either way, hopefully with his return we can get some more amazing fisticuffs that made Dan's Bond that much cooler. I like the fights in Skyfall, but I can admit that it wasn't as rough and brutal as I expected it to be. Plus, another Campbell Bond film would offer some further development of Bond in a more intimate sense, something I love about the Craig era. And it is great to see that things on the script end are going well for Logan. I like what I am seeing, and I think the Bond 24 gears are moving very very nicely!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I want to say Campbell shot the action himself. I agree with you, as well, in the comparison between the brutality of CR and SF's fights. I preferred CR's fights to SF - the only one I truly enjoyed was Bond and Patrice in SF - and I absolutely loved the ones in QoS. Bond vs. Slate? Give me another one of those, please.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I want to say Campbell shot the action himself. I agree with you, as well, in the comparison between the brutality of CR and SF's fights. I preferred CR's fights to SF - the only one I truly enjoyed was Bond and Patrice in SF - and I absolutely loved the ones in QoS. Bond vs. Slate? Give me another one of those, please.
    I think I love the train fight with Bond and Patrice more, simply because that was really going on and there was a real danger for Dan. It is insane to think that it actually happened with him doing his own stunts, and that is why I think it is so cool.

The fighting in CR was so clever. The staircase fight had some great shots in it that really kept the intensity high with help from Arnold's score, so more of that would be great. Mix that with the brutality of the Bond and Slate fight and we have a winner.
    I think the only thing that holds back the Bond/Patrice fight is that CGI with Patrice falling; why, oh why did they remove the slow-mo shot of him falling, and replace it with CGI instead? It doesn't make sense.

But yes, that CR scene is genius. There's actually one part where Bond dives over Obanno's machete swing, and you see him land (it slightly slows down here) right on his neck on a step. It looks so painful.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,399
    i wouldn't mind Campbell returning - i dont mind the guy, though sometimes i don't appreciate his attitude towards the franchise once he is done filming, as if he is suddenly "too good" for Bond films - maybe he thought on both occasions (after GE and CR) that he'd move on to bigger and better things, and both cases that turned out to not be the case.. after GE, he achieved moderate success with the 2 Zorro films... but after CR, his film 'Edge Of Darkness' faded into obscurity, and Green Lantern was pretty much a bomb... it seems the only thing this man does do right, is Bond films... he should embrace that, instead of constantly scoffing at the idea of doing more of them - especially how with this current run of films, they aren't being viewed as a cliche' driven popcorn machine anymore... they seem to be taken more seriously now than ever by the film community.

but i bet Lee Tamahori is in need of work - lets let that psychopath have another crack ;-)
    i am betting on a 2014 release for bond 24 as well. that is why sam bowed out. mgm/sony wants to move fast with the success of sf and who can blame them. i am sure eon will annonce the director by may!
    Hoping for news by the summer hopefully? [-O<
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think it will be June, but May would be a bonus. The sooner our director is on board the better.

Could we receive a release date and director announcement at the same time?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I think it will be June, but May would be a bonus. The sooner our director is on board the better.

Could we receive a release date and director announcement at the same time?

Yep i agree with all the above! Guessing Daniel will be heavily involved in picking the Director now?!!!
    I just created a whole timeline on the sam mendes thread about Hooper being director now i see this new little rumor pop up.....

Ang Lee shouldn't be allowed to direct traffic after the hulk that film was such a mess

Guy Rithcie well it depends if its this Guy Ritchie
    (spoilers for Game of shadows)

YES definitly

If its lock stock and barrel Ritchie NO NO NO

That said Zimmer doing a bond score yeah I am happy with that :D

Campbell won't do it so I won't consider him but if the impossible happens Loved Goldeneye Loved Royale would be ok with him directing another.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    @0Brady Campbell had a second unit who did the fights and the action scenes, the Second Unit Director was Alexander Witt who also had the same job in Skyfall.
    Nolan has been out of the running for months if not years now.....

Gilroy is free though :D

sigh why do i keep rooting for a director who will never do bond?
    MrBond wrote:
    @0Brady Campbell had a second unit who did the fights and the action scenes, the Second Unit Director was Alexander Witt who also had the same job in Skyfall.

Really? The action in CR and Skyfall does feel kind of similar, but as it has been said, it lacked the brutality that was in the previous Craig films. Maybe Witt went by what Mendes told him when shooting the action? None of us can be sure, but the action was well shot. The bike chase, wide shots of Bond and Patrice fighting on the train, Bond grabbing onto the elevator Patrice is in in Shanghai and then their fight after are well composed and gorgeous and the Skyfall climax is beautiful. Do you know who the 2nd unit director was for QoS, @MrBond?
    Dan Bradley. Though he did the shaky-cam Bourne films, he also did the latest Mission: Impossible and that really worked out well.

He has also done Spider-Man 2 & 3 as well as Superman Returns and Indy IV.
    Why not bring back Martin Campbell, get one last film from him as he is around 70 now?
    Campbell doesn't want to do another, he's said so many times in the past. At 70 I doubt he would have it in him anyway.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dan Bradley. Though he did the shaky-cam Bourne films, he also did the latest Mission: Impossible and that really worked out well.

I don't know if you saw the new Red Dawn but it was awful. So I'm not to keen on Bradley getting the job
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I don't know if you saw the new Red Dawn but it was awful. So I'm not to keen on Bradley getting the job

I didn't but I don't think we have any need to worry as Alexander Witt will most likely be back again. :D