Music Composers you would like to see score a Bond film

Comments

@bondjames, definitely potential, thanks for bringing him to my attention! Just klicked on the first link out of boredom, and couldn´t switch it off. The second one is just as good. He´s got very beautiful arrangements. No computer effects at first listen. Very natural sounding instruments. Very emotionally gripping. Great stuff! With that intensity, he wouldn´t even need to come up with loud action cues for action scenes.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Whoever did the soundtrack for 'The Way Back' (the WW2 survival film with Ed Harris and Colin Farrell) made a pretty good job:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I have mentioned on a few threads, I had the privilege of seeing Zimmer live in concert earlier this week. He played this track from Sherlock Holmes which I haven't seen. I thought this sounded very unlike him and believe it uses Cimbalons. Impressive imho. It's not like his usual stuff and perhaps could give some indication what he would do for Bond.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Both Zimmer and Giacchino could be great if they only toned it down a bit. They both have a tendency to turn it up a notch during certain scenes that are strong enough in themselves, they might as well be silent.
    Both Zimmer and Giacchino could be great if they only toned it down a bit. They both have a tendency to turn it up a notch during certain scenes that are strong enough in themselves, they might as well be silent.
    I agree. Zimmer in particular tends to overshadow the scenes on many occasions, especially on his more recent collaborations with Nolan.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No thanks. Newman was bad enough. Giacchino yes. Zimmer never.
    I've mentioned this before, but The Talented Mr. Ripley score by Gabriel Yared is one of my favourites. So moody, suspenseful, romantic and atmospheric. I've often wondered what he could do with an epic Bond outing. He is quite versatile.

Speaking of which, I really have to see that film again. One of my all time favourites, with an incredible cast and out of this world cinematography. Just wonderful.
  • Murdock wrote: »

None of the above. But I'd take Zimmer first. Giacchino has stretched himself over too many franchises. His style is beginning to lose its punch.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

None of the above. But I'd take Zimmer first. Giacchino has stretched himself over too many franchises. His style is beginning to lose its punch.

I'd say the opposite were true. Zimmer practically composes everything these days. His style is stale and boring. Nearly every score he does today sounds the same with minor alterations. Giacchino's earned a Bond film. He should do one for his work on The Incredibles alone.
    I only have 5 main options:

- Thomas Newman
    - Murray Gold
    - Joe Kraemer
    - Alexandre Desplat
    - Fernando Velázquez

You might not know this last one. Here a few examples of what he's capable of:

• Zimmer has a style/styles, but he's constantly reinventing himself. That's the difference. Giacchino's action scores all follow the same model, the same tricks, spun around different themes. Zimmer certainly has more range and ability as a composer.
    0iker0 wrote: »
    I only have 5 main options:

- Thomas Newman
    - Murray Gold
    - Joe Kraemer
    - Alexandre Desplat
    - Fernando Velázquez
    I had not heard of Velazquez before but his work seems quite impressive based on what you posted (especially the last track). I don't know much about Gold either.

I like the rest of them, especially Desplat (I think he would be perfect).
    Zimmer has a style/styles, but he's constantly reinventing himself. That's the difference. Giacchino's action scores all follow the same model, the same tricks, spun around different themes. Zimmer certainly has more range and ability as a composer.
    I was surprised at how many films he had scored and how versatile he is. I heard a lot of the tracks at his concert for the first time and they were all impressive.
    Zimmer has a style/styles, but he's constantly reinventing himself. That's the difference. Giacchino's action scores all follow the same model, the same tricks, spun around different themes. Zimmer certainly has more range and ability as a composer.
    Zimmer has good access to exotic instruments, but hardly any range and ability as a composer.

I'm advocating for Henry Jackman. Watched The Winter Soldier again and his action scoring when Cap takes out all those thugs on the ship (Lemurian Star) at the start and when The Soldier (Winter Soldier) arrives is first class. Kingsman is superb as well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @bondjames, couldn't agree more. He also did a marvellous job with X-Men First Class and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I know I've suggested him several times, but Antonio Pinto:

I vaguely remember X-Men First Class @DarthDimi. May be time for a rewatch. I've not seen the Vampire Hunter film and will get to it soon.

When I saw the first trailer for Kingsman 2 and heard his theme play again I realized he had created something potentially iconic for that franchise. Something which is instantly recognizable. That's impressive. It's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to the film.
    --

@DaltonCraig007, I'm due for a rewatch of Collateral again soon and will listen out for Pinto's sound. The clips you posted are quite distinctive and melodic but also a bit mellow so it's difficult for me to opine yet.
    @bondjames About Henry Jackman's work on 'First Class':

Impressive @DaltonCraig007. It's that sort of epic soaring orchestral sound which I miss in the Bond films of late. Arnold overdrummed the hell out of it for the most part (with exceptions), and Newman avoids this sort of climbing (for lack of a better word - forgive me as I'm not musically trained) yet light sound normally.

The only time I remember it of late was in Chimera (in SF) and in the Zimmer-esque sound when Bond grabs the elevator in SF and when Madeleine shoots Hinx in SP.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,721
    He's passed away now, but Wojciech Kilar had an interesting style of scoring films; simple and very effective. I would've liked to have seen what he would've done with a Bond film. I wanted to highlight this brief suspense piece:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JFN9o2YbFuo&t=3m36s

Elliot Goldenthal would be an interesting choice, as well.

@mattjoes, excellent choice. I've championed Wojciech Kilar many times in the past prior to his passing. A genius. His work on The Ninth Gate & Death and the Maiden is brilliant (the latter is a magnificent film too). The man had a lot of Barry in him. A minimalist with haunting melodies.

• edited August 2017 Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm advocating for Henry Jackman. Watched The Winter Soldier again and his action scoring when Cap takes out all those thugs on the ship (Lemurian Star) at the start and when The Soldier (Winter Soldier) arrives is first class. Kingsman is superb as well.
    Both scores have some very cool action tracks, but a lot of boring mediocrity in between. Not unlike Zimmer, actually.
    X-Men First Class is thus far the only Jackman score I´d endorse in its full.

bondjames wrote: »
    @mattjoes, excellent choice. I've championed Wojciech Kilar many times in the past prior to his passing. A genius. His work on The Ninth Gate & Death and the Maiden is brilliant (the latter is a magnificent film too). The man had a lot of Barry in him. A minimalist with haunting melodies.

The perfect summary of Kilar's style. That track you posted reflects it perfectly; two chords and a single phrase on top of it, that is gradually overlaid with transposed versions of itself. That's all it takes.

I also enjoy the film of Death and the Maiden very much. Makes me wish we'd see more of Stuart Wilson these days. He didn't care for the movie, but he was very good in it, playing the least showy, most complicated character.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    It's probably been mentioned before, but can we get Morricone?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2017 Posts: 11,139
    RAMIN DJAWADI!

Been saying it for the longest time. People were praising Zimmer for that clock ticking....yeah Djwadi was doing that long before that. Listen to tracks like hardhome part 1. The guy knows how to do escapism wonderment, melodies that don't sound like elevator music or action sequences more befitting of Tom and Jerry cartoons. He knows how to deliver on the quieter moments, moments of suspense and tension build up, sadness and loss; moments of absolute triumph and all out action.

Tracks like, Against all odds, Dance of dragons, feed the hounds, Bastard, blood of my blood, light of the seven, hear me roar, the winds of winter...the list is endless. Plus he knows how to incorporate his main themes and weave them into new melodies without it being some lazy; half arsed copy and paste job. We'd be incredibly fortunate to have him.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    RAMIN DJAWADI!
    He'd kill a Bond score. He could deliver something better than what we've gotten in the last 20 years in his sleep.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Abso-freakin-lutely!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »

It s been mentioned and it would be a dream come true.
    mattjoes wrote: »

It s been mentioned and it would be a dream come true.
    Legend. He's still got the goods.

EDIT: Or for something really memorable, get Lalo Schifrin, if he's still working. I'm sure he'll come up with a killer theme.