Music Composers you would like to see score a Bond film

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    David Newman. This reorchestration is amazing.

@Murdock, the link won't play here. You might delivering the goods to me in another shape or form? :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Here's an alternate link @DarthDimi. :)
    http://picosong.com/iC8f/
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Very impressive.
    That whole album is pretty good. I'd be curious to see what David Newman would do differently from his brother.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thanks, @Murdock! Great track this.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    If Arnold doesn't return, how about Jed Kurzel?

He did the score for both Babadook and Assassin's Creed. His next movie is the new Alien coming out this month. I saw A.Creed and the score was surprisingly good, especially during any action scenes. In fact, Kurzel was at his best whenever the protagonist was brought back to Spain and so I think he'd be good at giving locations a great recurring melody, because he captures the atmosphere very, very well.

I've risked a quick listen to his Alien score (I tried my best :) ) and woah is it tense. Now, I know that Bond films usually stick with atmospheric/grand melodies and they only skim lightly on suspense music, but maybe it's about time that we get a darker and edgy-er score. One that focuses on the build-up more than anything else.

In any case, he's got a good track record so far and I think he'd be able to fine tune his capabilities to suit a Bond film. It would be quite different from what he's mainly done before though. So it's a risk.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 5,767
    That whole album is pretty good. I'd be curious to see what David Newman would do differently from his brother.
    David Newman who did Ice Age and Galaxy Quest, among so many others? I´d expect him to sound completely different from his brother.

I wasn´t initially sold on Daniel Pemberton, but after hearing what he did for Steve Jobs and King Arthur Legend of the Sword, I cannot help it but admire his work immensely.

Abel Korzeniowski.

Just finished Nocturnal Animals. Sublime.

That was pretty good. Any action cues?
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 6,844
    boldfinger wrote: »
    David Newman who did Ice Age and Galaxy Quest, among so many others? I´d expect him to sound completely different from his brother.

David Newman would indeed sound completely different from his brother. He's adept at writing big fun themes and pulse-pounding action, so he'd actually be a great contender for Bond. I've posted some of his work from The Phantom (1996) before when suggesting him. Here's another great track:

edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    No, unfortunately not. The film is actually underscored, but this track opens it up with some pretty memorable visuals, and it made an impression on me. I can see potential in this guy. There's a bit of Bernard Herrmann in him. Could breakout at some point.

David Newman would indeed sound completely different from his brother. He's adept at writing big fun themes and pulse-pounding action, so he'd actually be a great contender for Bond. I've posted some of his work from The Phantom (1996) before when suggesting him. Here's another great track:

That's a great track. Here's another good one.

bondjames wrote: »
    No, unfortunately not. The film is actually underscored, but this track opens it up with some pretty memorable visuals, and it made an impression on me. I can see potential in this guy. There's a bit of Bernard Herrmann in him. Could breakout at some point.

That's too bad. I can see the potential though. I hope to hear what Korzeniowski can do with action.
    Those David Newman tracks are not bad at all. I'm impressed.
    I really need to see The Phantom now.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Action movies (and their scores) were just plain fun in the 90s.

Action movies (and their scores) were just plain fun in the 90s.

That I can agree with.
    I wasn´t initially sold on Daniel Pemberton, but after hearing what he did for Steve Jobs and King Arthur Legend of the Sword, I cannot help it but admire his work immensely.
    I feel forced to correct my above statement to a degree. Pemberton has brilliant moments, but tends to drag over the course of a film.

I´d be careful.
    I once watched Rambo 3 because I like the soundtrack CD so much. The film more or less made me fall asleep.
    Cherry 2000 is one of my absolute favorite film soundtracks. The film is unbelievably bad. Melanie Griffith says her lines as if she would read them from paper for the first time.

I feel forced to correct my above statement to a degree. Pemberton has brilliant moments, but tends to drag over the course of a film.
    Agreed. Pemberton tends to come up with interesting motifs but also reuses them and doesn't get mood right. I've normally found his score to compete with and overwhelm the narrative, rather than compliment it. A bit of a showboater.
    I´d be careful.
    I once watched Rambo 3 because I like the soundtrack CD so much. The film more or less made me fall asleep.
    Cherry 2000 is one of my absolute favorite film soundtracks. The film is unbelievably bad. Melanie Griffith says her lines as if she would read them from paper for the first time.

Shouldn't be a problem. I loved Rambo 3. :D

Haha, then try Cherry 2000 next!

That's also one I've been wanting to see.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Thomas Newman

Again
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767

By the way, Poledouris´ soundtrack sounds much better on CD. The mix in the film is not to its advantage.
    But enjoy anyway :-)!

By the way, Poledouris´ soundtrack sounds much better on CD. The mix in the film is not to its advantage.
    But enjoy anyway :-)!

Sounds great I'm a huge Poledouris fan. :-bd
    @Murdock, I strongly recommend the CD to you then, IMO it´s one of Poledouris´ best scores, beside Conan, Robocop, Red October, and Flesh and Blood! There are several different CD releases, try to get the one that also contains the brilliant score for No Man´s Land.
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into nabbing them. I have his work for Robocop and Conan. :D
  • As a fan of 90s action music, @Murdock, have you looked into Poledouris's score for Starship Troopers? It is wall-to-wall sonic brilliance:

And here's a badass electric guitar cover I found while searching for that other clip:

:D
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, I haven't heard the full score for Starship Troopers but there was a suite from it on The Science Fiction Album by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. I will be checking it out though.
  • Cool, I actually have that album from the City of Prague Philharmonic too. Great compilation of classic themes.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Just discovered Dario Marianelli on account of sensing some sonic quality in the Darkest Hour trailer in the Coming Soon thread. Did a bit of research and see potential.