Music Composers you would like to see score a Bond film

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Good or less good composers ...kinda hard to guess how they would do with Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I really think we need new blood. Even if it's a new guy for every film. I've always liked the 'one off's', since they bring something interesting to the table. Only Barry really shone with multiple tries. Although Arnold improved during the Craig era compared to his Brosnan outings, those prior tries left too much of a bad impression on me, so I'm afraid I do not advocate for his return.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    edited June 2016 Posts: 189
    As unusual as it may seem, I choose Ennio Morricone. That man can spin magic with his conductor's baton alone.

Aside from him, I choose Yuji Ohno. Who is he, you ask? He's the guy who gave us...

As unusal as it may seem, I choose Ennio Morricone. That man can spin magic with his conductor alone.
    I'm open to it, although he is getting up there in age. Ripley's Game is wonderful, especially the ending track.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm not adverse to Arnold returning as my friend said above QOS was a great score and in my view his best.

I think EON like keeping it in house and as long as we don't get a director like SM imposing a composer on the film then I see DA returning.

I'm open to new options but not generic mood music like Newman gave us, his SF score was adequate with some great moments but is SP score just recycled his SF score and not with a great deal of imagination, must of had his mind on Bridge of Spies more.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I want to hear Arnold's music in a Bond film again. Simple as that.
    Is Gabriel Yared still in the game? His score for The Talented Mr. Ripley is one of my favourites. Brilliant work and highly recommended (both the film for absolutely magnificent old school visuals and also the score).
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Good or less good composers ...kinda hard to guess how they would do with Bond.
    That is a very good point.

bondjames wrote: »
    I really think we need new blood. Even if it's a new guy for every film. I've always liked the 'one off's', since they bring something interesting to the table. Only Barry really shone with multiple tries. Although Arnold improved during the Craig era compared to his Brosnan outings, those prior tries left too much of a bad impression on me, so I'm afraid I do not advocate for his return.
    I liked the one-offs too, but I believe Salzman and Cubby had a clear vision of where they wanted to go with the films in all respects. Babs and Michael have no clear vision where they want to go with the films, and they shurely have no clue about film music. So with one-off composers we wouldn´t have anything remotely tying things together musically after a few movies. I´m not sure I would like that.

Birdleson wrote: »
    All my favorite film composers are dead (Hermann, Barry, Bernstein, and several much further into the past than those), except for Morricone and don't know if he's up to writing a full score (very old).
    Well, he did put quite some stuff together for The hateful 8, didn´t he? There´s no need anyhow to stuff every minute with music. I love Arnold´s Bond music, but in TND and DAD, half of it is background filler sounds. 60 min of music for a 120 min film would be absolutely sifficient.

boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I liked the one-offs too, but I believe Salzman and Cubby had a clear vision of where they wanted to go with the films in all respects. Babs and Michael have no clear vision where they want to go with the films, and they shurely have no clue about film music. So with one-off composers we wouldn´t have anything remotely tying things together musically after a few movies. I´m not sure I would like that.
    I agree with you. I think Barry had a clear vision for the films too, and it showed. his cues blend so beautifully with the Bond films he scores, that it almost seems like a second skin. Interestingly, I sometimes felt the opposite with his non-Bond scores, like they sat outside the film.

I still say they should consider someone like Gabriel Yared. Playful, jazzy, melodic, haunting, all in one:

Or for a more intense treatment, I recommend Johann Johannson.

Let's shake it up a bit.
  • Martin Phipps. After an excellent haunting and dramatic score to Brighton Rock. Mr. Phipps could do us proud with a bond score.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Martin Phipps. After an excellent haunting and dramatic score to Brighton Rock. Mr. Phipps could do us proud with a bond score.

Hi and welcome @rogeerabbit ...I almost expected you to say "pblblbllllleeezzz, Eddie!!" Lol Jk :D

Watching yt videos of Joe Kraemer interviews I would like to see him given a shot.

He's about as American as they come but unlike Newman Kraemer seems to have an appreciation for the vision of the movie he is scoring.
    I'd like to see Christopher Lennertz get a crack at a Bond film. He's scored a couple Bond games, QoS and FRWL, and there are moments in the latter that arguably capture the Barry sound better than Arnold ever did in his scores (which perhaps makes sense, given FRWL adapts a movie that Barry scored in the first place). I also like Lennertz's work on Agent Carter - good mix of retro, playful, and some electronica. Here's one of the few FRWL tracks I could find on YouTube:

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Another really good piece by Lennertz.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
    +1. It will be edgy, and modern. A sort of updated GE (ducks for cover).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ramin Djawadi would absolutely kill it scoring a Bond film. He'd bring back that missing magic.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Ramin Djawadi would absolutely kill it scoring a Bond film. He'd bring back that missing magic.
    I fully agree

This one is haunting

And this shows potential in the action dept

Also Alexandre Desplat. Ever since I heard this track (Bond all over it), I've wanted him on the job.

Or Henry Jackman

Or Joe Kraemer

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Lately I've been leaning on Michael Giacchino. I recently got a few scores from him. The newly released scores for Star Trek Beyond and Rogue One. I really love how he gets inspired from source material. With the Incredibles he was inspired by Barry. Star Trek, the Brassy bombastic music that came with the Original Series as well as hints of Inspiration from Jerry Goldsmith. Especially with Beyond's score. Rogue One was a great listen too. He does a good job doing a John Williams esque score without being a copy of him. I'd love to see his take on a Bond film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree with everything you say, @Murdock.
    Giacchino can handle existing material well and do something fresh with it. His scores for such films as M:I III, Ghost Protocol, the recent Star Trek triplet, Rogue One and Jurassic World are fresh and interesting, referencing the old but not vulgarising it. Giacchino's early video game work gave him some recognition and after trudging up a long flight of steps, he's now one of the more desired composers in the modern film industry. I'm confident he would turn a Bond score into an avalanche of geek-out moments while maintaining a cohesive, original quality.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    1 David Arnold, and I believe that is possible once Mendes takes his Newman and bunks.

2 Alexandre Desplat, there is not really any other choice than him after Arnold

3 Should the unthinkable happen and neither choice 1 or 2 are available, let it be someone who actually cares about Bond and not some spoiled famous composer who only does it because the even more spoiled director wouldn't do the film without him.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Rogue One let me lose every vestige of reservation I might have had before about Giacchino. I understand that some parts were taken from John Williams, but every minute of music from that film was absolutely worth it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,009
    Rogue One let me lose every vestige of reservation I might have had before about Giacchino. I understand that some parts were taken from John Williams, but every minute of music from that film was absolutely worth it.

And quite an achievement, too - considering he only had 4 weeks to compose the score.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Glad to see some love for Rogue One's score. I feel it was a lot better than The Force Awakens'.

I also would love to hear a Bond score by Giacchino.

I'm also curious to what Abel Korzeniowski would write. Penny Dreadful had some beautiful music, although admittedly action pieces were not his best. Still, he should be given a chance.
    I didn't mind the Rogue One score, but much preferred The Force Awakens. There is something epic about Williams' work.

I'm open to Giacchino. His Incredibles score is close to being the best non-Barry Bond score of all time (and also incorporates a lot of 60's spy film jazz sounds and also a bit of Danny Elfman imho). If folks haven't heard it, they are really missing out. I preferred Kraemer's work for MI5 to Giacchino's for MI4, but wouldn't be disappointed if he got the gig.

Can we imagine if Goldsmith had scored Moonraker? Moonraker is Barry, and wonderful, and I wouldn't replace him, but just for a minute envision some First Contact-type cues. Like if Barry in an alternative universe was unavailable for Moonraker.
    Can we imagine if Goldsmith had scored Moonraker? Moonraker is Barry, and wonderful, and I wouldn't replace him, but just for a minute envision some First Contact-type cues. Like if Barry in an alternative universe was unavailable for Moonraker.
    @StirredNotShaken, I have listened many times to Goldsmith´s Total Recall score, imagining it as a Bond score.
    In fact, as you say, I wouldn´t want to replace Barry, but I think Goldsmith would have been the best choice for any non-Barry Bond film.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @StirredNotShaken, I have listened many times to Goldsmith´s Total Recall score, imagining it as a Bond score.
    In fact, as you say, I wouldn´t want to replace Barry, but I think Goldsmith would have been the best choice for any non-Barry Bond film.

I would have loved that. He'd have done a really good job. Always been curious as to what a Williams' Bond score would have sounded like, too.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. I've always loved Goldsmith. Like Barry, he elevated the films with his compositions and was particularly well suited to the thriller genre. The Recall score is a work of art.
    Haha, great to see the names Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna once again.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,400

I would have loved that. He'd have done a really good job. Always been curious as to what a Williams' Bond score would have sounded like, too.

I adore John Williams but I think he's a bit too... orchestral?... for Bond. If that makes sense.

EDIT: Er, let me actually add to this. He'd be perfect for the majority of the score, you know all the incidental pieces, I just worry what his take on the Bond theme would be like, or the theme song for the film for that matter.