Bond films that you love, but most others dislike?

Comments

• DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    edited November 2012 Posts: 260
    People are way too hard on TWINE. Yes Denise Richards was a horrible casting Choice, the pipeline scene with bond riding on top of a bomb was very outlandish. M being captured was alittle too much but overall TWINE holds a special place in my heart as cheesy as that sounds. Perhaps its because I saw it back in 1999 when I was only 8½.

TWINE definitely had potential to be more than what it was. The overall story was good but directed not to it's full potential , Renard was great and I enjoyed the subtle conversations between Elektra and Bond, especially during the bedroom scenes between them. This was Brosnans best attempt at humanizing bond. I think TWINE is miles ahead TND . But who can forget the scene where brosnan fixes his tie under water while submerging in the Q speedboat. dear god that was so unnecessary to show.

I still get a kick hearing brosnan yell, "I CAN PROTECT YOU ! I CAN PROTECT YOU!".
    TWINE was alright, I prefer it to DAD and TND, and I think Brosnan was at his best.

My biggest gripe is the story. Bond convinces Elektra he has to stay and protect her. When she finally agrees, he just says "okay, peace out homedawg", and leaves.
    Im happy that a lot of you are defending TWINE means a lot. Its my favorite Bond film of all time and I don't think there will ever be a Bond that surpasses TWINE for me (at least in my opinion). Now Im gonna go out and defend another Bond film that a lot and i mean a lot hate and I love and thats Moonraker.

I just love Moonraker there something about this film that I love so much. Locations, villains, girls, I thought were amazing. I loved the plot I thought it was the plot of a true super villain, And I love the music score. I think Moonraker has the best Bond score of all time. I just love the soundtrack.

So how about all you any Moonraker fans out there?
    Without a doubt, A View to a Kill. Such a classic, a legend, a timeless masterpiece that Bond fans shamefully forget! It has so many plus points! Who cares if the plot is recycled from Goldfinger? In my opinion, AVTAK out-does GF's plot by miles, and Max Zorin is ten times the better villain than the cheesy Auric Goldfinger, who quite frankly, gets on my nerves and is quite over-rated like the movie named after him, honestly. Goldfinger doesn't even hold a candle to Zorin! Now henchman-wise, yes, even I will admit that Oddjob is clear and away the winner than May Day, I mean let's be honest there. But that's about the only plus I'll give GF over AVTAK. Everything else- soundtrack, pre-title sequence, title song, 007 (ROGER MOORE!!!!), and finale- slays Goldfinger, and a lot of other Bond movies too, quite frankly. The only Bond movies AVTAK does not surpass is LTK, GE, TND and possibly TWINE also. Such a legend! 1985 did Bond justice, no matter what anyone says about Roger's age or Stacey Sutton!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I really enjoy QoS.

It is no CR, but what other Bond film is? Many pick about the editing, and I understand that, but QoS is so much more. It is a great continuation of the Vesper arc, with spectacular characterization. The cast is wonderful and the acting top class (especially Dan's). In this film Bond is broken, and that comes across over the entire course of the film as we feel the pain too. Mr. White is great in his small scenes (and is the only Quantum member smart enough not to get out of their seat during Tosca and get snapped in a photo by Bond), and though Greene isn't a standout villain, there are great scenes with him and he is a well acted real world villain for the Craig era. Camille is a very good Bond girl. She is tough and can take matters into her own hands if need be. Her past connects her to Bond, and that is an important relationship that keeps them together. I love that Camille and Bond don't sleep together. It makes her more than just some body that accompanies Bond, but a meaningful character that really grows to like Bond through their similar past struggles. It would be cool to see her return in the Craig era. Mathis is amazing, and wonderfully acted. The scenes between him and Bond are part of the heart of the film, and when he is taken away, it hurts (I wish they didn't do that). Felix is also a brilliant edition. I love the dichotomy between him and Beam, and how you are curious about how much of a good guy Felix is if he is in talks with Greene. At the end of it all we see that Felix is a man of honor, and that is great to see him always remaining loyal to Bond no matter the costs. I want a return from him too, and Jeffrey Wright is hands down one of my favorite actors in the role of Felix right up there with Hedison. QoS has some of the greatest scenes in the franchise. Vesper herself continues to have a posthumous affect on Bond, and the moments where Bond drinks himself into a stupor and his talks with Mathis are some of the best we have seen. The Tosca scenes are drop dead gorgeous and seeing Bond share glances with Greene and his boys as they come down the stares while the music peaks is chill inducing. The ending is the best scene of the film. It exemplifies Bond's growth as a human and agent that many try to rationalize as absent in the Craig era. When Bond is given the chance to kill Yusef, he backs away and leaves him to the police. He knows that Vesper wouldn't want it. The Bond of CR, hot off his betrayal would have taken that shot, but he has matured from that. His willingness to drop Vesper's necklace symbolize to me both his respect for what she did for him, but also his readiness to move on. The last words spoken are with Bond and M, and further exemplify Bond's character. He has and never will go rogue. He is with MI6 whenever they need him, and will never leave them. This relationship with M continues into Skyfall, where Bond is again tested. All in all, QoS is by no means a perfect film. It isn't half of what CR was, and many things could have been improved. But at the end of the day, I am happy to call it a Bond film because it is a worthy follow up to the film that can't be topped and continued the emotive plot and deep characterization that made CR so good.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Well written on Quantum of Solace, my friend! I agree with you to the full. It's kind of ironic, at first viewing when I got QoS on DVD, I really did not enjoy it. I remember when the ending rolled around, I thought to myself, that was it? It's over now? Seriously, what a short movie! The time constraint bothered me then, and does now only a slight bit, and I also wasn't a fan of the fact that it just felt.....well.....empty, is the best way I could put it. Not full of any real substance. After rewatching it several times, I actually am really pleased with it. Now yes, SF did surpass QoS, but I thought 2008 left us with a great Bond movie to hold onto until SF was released. I actually highly enjoy it now, and don't see a lot of reason for its criticisim now. I think you have to look for the little things in QoS in order to receive its maximum enjoyability.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Well written on Quantum of Solace, my friend! I agree with you to the full. It's kind of ironic, at first viewing when I got QoS on DVD, I really did not enjoy it. I remember when the ending rolled around, I thought to myself, that was it? It's over now? Seriously, what a short movie! The time constraint bothered me then, and does now only a slight bit, and I also wasn't a fan of the fact that it just felt.....well.....empty, is the best way I could put it. Not full of any real substance. After rewatching it several times, I actually am really pleased with it. Now yes, SF did surpass QoS, but I thought 2008 left us with a great Bond movie to hold onto until SF was released. I actually highly enjoy it now, and don't see a lot of reason for its criticisim now. I think you have to look for the little things in QoS in order to receive its maximum enjoyability.
    Great points, and I wholeheartedly agree.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 9
    A View To A Kill was Moore's weakest and has many other flaws, but it was made in and around my home town and has Christopher Walken and Grace Jones to redeem it. Certainly not the best Bond film but I love it for personal reasons. They burned down my City Hall and that tickles me to bits.
  • Wow, finally TWINE gets some love!

It was the second Bond movie I watched and I was always amazed how hated this movie is among fans!
    I am pretty sure it's still im my top 10 (after being long in my top 5!), though I just have finished DAF on blue ray. Still need some time before I arrive at the Brosnan era.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I also love QoS and liked your analysis very much. I would go further and say there are less things I dislike about QoS than CR (controversial, I know).
    But my Bond-guilty-pleasures are YOLT and OP. I know they're not very good (FRWL and FYEO are my favourites by SC and RM) but I can't resist them for some reason I can't exactly explain, maybe the fact that they are set in two countries I am very curious about helps.
    I love GE but sometimes it seems that if you love any of Brosnan's films here you are a moron.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    chrisisall wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    TMWTGG. It's a tragically underrated film and is probably in my top10.
    By stating that, some might say that you've lost your charm...
    ;)

Lol I just think it's a fun and enjoyable movie. It's by no means great but I find it entertaining.
    TMWTGG I love it it will always be in my top 10. I only hate the whistle in the car stunt
    MWTGG is undermined by it's own silliness. There are some really good scenes (like the stuff with Bond and Scaramanga at the dinner table) but the "comedy" with a frustrated Bond and an inept Goodnight is piss poor.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Double post
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Anyone notice this isn't news?
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    MWTGG is undermined by it's own silliness. There are some really good scenes (like the stuff with Bond and Scaramanga at the dinner table) but the "comedy" with a frustrated Bond and an inept Goodnight is piss poor.

When Bond gulped that bullet down is the first time i said to myself something is going badly wrong with these films
  • I love Diamonds Are Forever, Never Say Never Again and Moonraker, which everybody seems to hate with a passion. :P
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,924
    YOLT - It lacks the gloss of the first 4 films, however I tend to overlook the uniqueness of this film with it being almost fully set in Japan, and an awesome villain/finale set in an epic lair.
    OHMSS - Lazenby's acting could be better. Guess we'll never know. His accent distracts me from the film. To me, all Aussie accents come across very strong on film- especially in a non-Australian film. Other than that little niggle, the film is excellent.
    DAF - Too camp- just okay. In fact, I don't watch it unless it's during a marathon.
    LALD- Seen this at the bottom of a lot of people's rankings, but I just love this sucka. A fine debut from Sir Rog'.
    TMWTGG - A bit daggy here and there. Awesome villain, though. During the bridge jump, I want to hear the engine rev... and nothing else.
    AVTAK - Same as DAF. Both at the bottom of the list, I'm afraid. We'll see where they rank after next week's pre-SF marathon.
    TWINE - Not a bad entry. Gets a bit slow at times. For me, it's pretty much on par with TND.
    QOS - pretty good now I've seen it a dozen times. Was just okay at first.

I love DAD, MR and NSNA. Nowhere near the top of my list, but still highly entertaining. I want my Bond universe to include both serious/realistic and fantasty/sci-fi Bond adventures. The good thing about the OTT fantasy Bonds is that over time, the technology and situations seen in these films become more plausible. Basically, 100 years from now DAD will reek of ultra-realism... :-O
  • Quantum of Solace. I don't find that film anywhere near as bad as many people seem to find it.
    Do not look at the Bond films this way, i just enjoy some more than others.
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    Do not look at the Bond films this way, i just enjoy some more than others.

For the most part I agree, though Moonraker is so off-putting to me I can't sit through it.
    00Beast wrote:
    Without a doubt, A View to a Kill. Such a classic, a legend, a timeless masterpiece that Bond fans shamefully forget! It has so many plus points! Who cares if the plot is recycled from Goldfinger? In my opinion, AVTAK out-does GF's plot by miles, and Max Zorin is ten times the better villain than the cheesy Auric Goldfinger, who quite frankly, gets on my nerves and is quite over-rated like the movie named after him, honestly. Goldfinger doesn't even hold a candle to Zorin! Now henchman-wise, yes, even I will admit that Oddjob is clear and away the winner than May Day, I mean let's be honest there. But that's about the only plus I'll give GF over AVTAK. Everything else- soundtrack, pre-title sequence, title song, 007 (ROGER MOORE!!!!), and finale- slays Goldfinger, and a lot of other Bond movies too, quite frankly. The only Bond movies AVTAK does not surpass is LTK, GE, TND and possibly TWINE also. Such a legend! 1985 did Bond justice, no matter what anyone says about Roger's age or Stacey Sutton!

Agree with you.

Also for me Christopher Walken made this movie for me. His performance in this film is out of this world he played the role so well.
  • I really enjoy all of the John Glen-directed Bond films. Yes, even AVTAK.

IMO, FYEO & OP are Moore's 2 best outings.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Anyone notice this isn't news?

No? That's certainly is news to me. Well, I'm off to the presses.
    Moonraker. The best Sunday film in the world.
  • Matt007 wrote:
    Moonraker. The best Sunday film in the world.

Opinions vary.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, completely forgot about QoS. I heavily enjoy that film, and just never witnessed the major criticisms it received from so many. Sure, I had my complaints, but I love watching it.
    I really enjoy QoS.

Nice, well articulated post. I agree Brady, and you raise some convincing points. I think the Camille-Bond relationship is often overlooked in this film. The empathy, <i>or solace</i> Bond conveys for Camille, is very real, because she is dealing with something he has also faced. The conversation he has with her right before she is to kill the General, is one of the most powerful ones of the movies. The revenge on the General, is the symbol of the pain she felt at the loss of her parents, and now she must face it. QOS continues the theme established in CR, which addresses the inner conflict of the business of killing; beginning with Bond's look in the bathroom scene PTS of CR and ending with his stern look he gives Yusef. There is a nice arc to this theme across both films.
  • JBFan626 wrote:
    Nice, well articulated post. I agree Brady, and you raise some convincing points. I think the Camille-Bond relationship is often overlooked in this film. The empathy, <i>or solace</i> Bond conveys for Camille, is very real, because she is dealing with something he has also faced. The conversation he has with her right before she is to kill the General, is one of the most powerful ones of the movies. The revenge on the General, is the symbol of the pain she felt at the loss of her parents, and now she must face it. QOS continues the theme established in CR, which addresses the inner conflict of the business of killing; beginning with Bond's look in the bathroom scene PTS of CR and ending with his stern look he gives Yusef. There is a nice arc to this theme across both films.

Very much agreed. Nice post! :)>-