Bond misses David Arnold

18910111214»

Comments

• I say bring back Eric Serra lol
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It's obvious to anyone who has seen the film why Newman has reused a few cues from Skyfall.

I've seen the film and can understand why Newman uses the musical cues for M and MP and I havent got a problem with that.

But I'm rather ignorant as to why the PTS climax for example features identical music to SF action scenes so given its so obvious to you I'd love if it you could enlighten me why he does this, because to a musical troglodyte like me it just seems like Newman has nothing new in his locker to bring to the table.
    Not just the climax to the PTS but the scene when the building collapses, the car chase in Rome and escaping from the lair in Morocco, all features cues from SF.

Thats heresy in @PeterGreenhill's eyes! We are blessed remember. Hope he doesnt put out a fatwah on you!
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    ..A Fat What???????!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 6,396
    It's obvious to anyone who has seen the film why Newman has reused a few cues from Skyfall.

I've seen the film and can understand why Newman uses the musical cues for M and MP and I havent got a problem with that.

But I'm rather ignorant as to why the PTS climax for example features identical music to SF action scenes so given its so obvious to you I'd love if it you could enlighten me why he does this, because to a musical troglodyte like me it just seems like Newman has nothing new in his locker to bring to the table.
    Not just the climax to the PTS but the scene when the building collapses, the car chase in Rome and escaping from the lair in Morocco, all features cues from SF.

Thats heresy in @PeterGreenhill's eyes! We are blessed remember. Hope he doesnt put out a fatwah on you!
    Even the cue of Bond and M driving to Skyfall is reused and despite only watching SP again this morning, it's completely slipped my mind as to which scene it appears in.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Re: the thread title. Bond doesn't miss David Arnold in fact David Arnold more than outstayed his welcome. A few decent cues were more than negated by a tendency to produce loud, aimless, crash bang wallop noise whenever he ran out of ideas. Newman has transformed Bond music into classy, gorgeous thrilling scoring. We are blessed.

We're not blessed. We're deaf, remember?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm not sorry Arnold is gone, but I agree that perhaps the 'blessed' comment regarding Newman may be taking things a little too far. He has plenty of room for improvement too.
  • I've grown to like Newman's score for SF, I can pick out a fair few favourites on that score. I also feel he did well with SP as well.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Newman had his chance and blew it. There's no excuse for recycling cues and barely using the Bond theme. He's not fit for Bond. Love him or hate him. Arnold can get the job done at least.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Allied dis a great job with CR and QoS. Newman has been 'ok'.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I've grown to like Newman's score for SF, I can pick out a fair few favourites on that score. I also feel he did well with SP as well.

I can pick a few out, too. The PTS of both films in particular being highlights. Tennyson and Enquiry from Skyfall are great, too.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 102
    Murdock wrote: »
    Newman had his chance and blew it. There's no excuse for recycling cues and barely using the Bond theme. He's not fit for Bond. Love him or hate him. Arnold can get the job done at least.

I thought him recycling the same cues from SF in SP made sense as they were connected in terms of the SPECTRE organisation pulling the strings, no different from when Arnold used cues from CR for QOS.
  • The plots for Skyfall and Spectre are connected so no surprise that Newman reuses some music just as John Williams did in Jaws 2. This isn't rocket science.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Even classical composers reused their themes all the time.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Murdock wrote: »

Exactly.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Having watched it last night, I didn't miss Arnold.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Just saw it. Score fits the film very well, like a glove. Only the action scoring is too loud in places.

The pretitles score was magnificent as were several other pieces throughout the film. I did not miss Arnold one darn bit. Be gone with him I say.