Spectre wish list

Comments

• edited January 2014 Posts: 107
    Bond flipping his hat perfectly onto the coat rack.

Mr. White back in the fold somehow.

Bond forced to do blow while undercover in a drug cartel.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,929
    Chang wrote:
    Bond flipping his hat perfectly onto the coat rack.
    I wonder if this could work today if done very subtly. Perhaps Craig could walk in with hat (out of frame) and casually hooks it on the rack as he flirts with Moneypenny- taking some of the attention away from it. TBH I don't care whether we see the hat throw again- although I'm keen to see Craig in his naval uniform, and that could provide an opportunity to throw his Commander hat. However, I remember Moore never wore a hat, and he throws one on the rack in FYEO, IIRC.
    When do we wear hats still? I would love to see it, but a hat is now associated with elderly men or very formal events.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2014 Posts: 16,330
    How about instead of Bond tossing a hat on a rack, he throws a scarf? Not the same but the reference is still there. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    How about instead of Bond tossing a hat on a rack, he throws a scarf? Not the same but the reference is still there. :)

Or simply an overcoat? He was wearing one of the roof in Skyfall and then walked into Moneypenny's office.. the perfect opportunity!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Or simply an overcoat? He was wearing one of the roof in Skyfall and then walked into Moneypenny's office.. the perfect opportunity!

Well I tried doing that with my own coat once. Knocked the coat rack right over. :))
    The closest we got was Craig wearing a hat as a disguise in the Shanghai airport scene in SF, although there was no rack in sight. At least not the kind you'd cover with a hat ;)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Qbranch I was not aware that CMDR Bond was in the USN.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,929
    Fixed. ;) Colours were never my strong suit.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yes! Bond wearing a hat/trilby in this day and age doesn't work at all. This isn't the 60s. However, Craig's Bond has some very nice overcoats and pea-coats and on too of that, he's always throwing/tossing things, wether they be car keys, hotel keys or even hard drive-free laptops! Bond expertly throwing his coat onto a coat stand or something wouldn't seem out of sorts, however, I can take it or leave it.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yes! Bond wearing a hat/trilby in this day and age doesn't work at all. This isn't the 60s. However, Craig's Bond has some very nice overcoats and pea-coats and on too of that, he's always throwing/tossing things, wether they be car keys, hotel keys or even hard drive-free laptops! Bond expertly throwing his coat onto a coat stand or something wouldn't seem out of sorts, however, I can take it or leave it.

He could wear a hat if he was in his naval uniform. Just saying, Mendes.
  • Now that Mr. Mendes has agreed to make Bond 24. Does anybody know if he will call on his old friend Thomas Newman to create the score?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    It's likely that Mendes would want him to but according to @JamesPage, things may not have gone so well. Maybe this will signal Arnold's return.
  • It's been a while since I've posted! I'd say my first wish would be a Hans Zimmer score:

My second wish would be Mark Strong as Blofeld. In my mind he's absolutely perfect for a modern re-envisioning of Blofeld in the Craig era and my thoughts were reaffirmed by the new Jaguar ads featuring him:

• Zimmer's scores can be good in the right movies and places, but his sound wouldn't really fit with Bond. Too generic, and none of Barry's feeling (or Arnold's reasonable facsimile).
  • Zimmer's scores can be good in the right movies and places, but his sound wouldn't really fit with Bond. Too generic, and none of Barry's feeling (or Arnold's reasonable facsimile).

Really? I found the Inception score to be very Bondian. Honestly, I'm ready for a departure from a Barry-esque score. Time after time composers try to inject his style but I feel they'd be better off if they took their own path. I found in Skyfall especially that the best tracks were the most Newmanesque ones which didn't resemble Barry. It's a new chapter in the franchise and I think it's appropriate to have a fresh take on the music.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's likely that Mendes would want him to but according to @JamesPage, things may not have gone so well. Maybe this will signal Arnold's return.

The score of Skyfall is the first Bond score to be nominated for an Academy Award since 1977, the first Bond score ever to win a BAFTA and the first Bond score ever to win a Grammy. I will be really suprised if Thomas Newman doesn't return, no matter what JamesPage says.

The return of David Arnold would be a joke.
    Samuel001 wrote:

The score of Skyfall is the first Bond score to be nominated for an Academy Award since 1977, the first Bond score ever to win a BAFTA and the first Bond score ever to win a Grammy. I will be really suprised if Thomas Newman doesn't return, no matter what JamesPage says.

I'd agree and like to know what the disagreements, if any, were over. Only then could we gauge if this affects his chances.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

So by that logic all of Barry's scores are lesser than Skyfall because they didn't win a Grammy or get nominated for an Academy Award? They are popularity contests and nothing more.
    @PanchitoPistoles is giving his reasons for why he believes Thomas Newman will return. Nothing more.
  • RC7RC7
    Zimmer's scores can be good in the right movies and places, but his sound wouldn't really fit with Bond. Too generic, and none of Barry's feeling (or Arnold's reasonable facsimile).

Really? I found the Inception score to be very Bondian. Honestly, I'm ready for a departure from a Barry-esque score. Time after time composers try to inject his style but I feel they'd be better off if they took their own path. I found in Skyfall especially that the best tracks were the most Newmanesque ones which didn't resemble Barry. It's a new chapter in the franchise and I think it's appropriate to have a fresh take on the music.

Have you ever noticed the similarities between the following...

Not the first time Zimmer has been pulled up for 'borrowing'.
    The Jag advert illustrates why I am reluctant about a Brit playing a villain. I certainly would not want to see Mark Strong playing Blofeld. If Blofeld shows up, I want him to be played by anybody but a bald man.
    pachazo wrote:
    So by that logic all of Barry's scores are lesser than Skyfall because they didn't win a Grammy or get nominated for an Academy Award? They are popularity contests and nothing more.

They are more than popularity contests... Anyway, all I'm saying is that even of the producers didn't really like the score by Newman I'm sure they are more willing to let Mendes work with him again now after the score of Skyfall received this much acclaim.
    Jesse Eisenberg for Blofeld anyone? wink wink
    LeChiffre wrote:

I've actually seen that brought up in one of these threads before.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:

I've actually seen that brought up in one of these threads before.

What is the world coming into? I was already fed up of all the bald actors people were bringing forward to play Blofeld. But a kid?
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,619
    My only wish:

174194414.jpg

She is a great actress even in mediocre movies.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    1. Gunbarrel at the beginning
    2. David Arnold as composer
    3. Quantum/SPECTRE
    4. Fleming unused elements or Live and Let Die FAITHFUL adaptation.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I am happy if Arnold returns; he was improving over the years.
    I am also happy if Newman returns (I think it likely) as long as he gives us more this time.

Skyfall is a rather lovely soundtrack, but for me middle of the road overall. What is truly outstanding or memorable? Where is the theme song woven in besides the gorgeous piece Komodo Dragon? Where is the full Bond theme during an action moment? There is no reason any composer could not have those very Bondian elements in a score and still make his or her (Rachel Portman, anyone?) impact and personal creative contributions. A composer could have these key elements, ones that for me as a lifelong Bond fan I really want (it is part of the uniqueness of a Bond film and adds to the Bond atmosphere/ambiance), and still be creative and not feel constrained to mimic Barry or Arnold or anyone else to a large extent.

I do love the score for Inception, but I feel that even there Zimmer hammers home a certain set of chords too much. He really overdoes that, like all the time.

If Newman has not burnt his bridges with EON, then he will probably return due to:
    1) association with Mendes
    2) Oscar nomination/BAFTA and Grammy wins

I want Newman to gives us more in his next Bond film, I really do. And I don't mean copying or aping Barry completely. He is obviously very talented with a long and varied scope of experience scoring films. But I want to feel that he loves (and respects) doing a Bond film; I want more exciting, haunting, and memorable pieces from him this time. If things got acrimonious like apparently they did, how could he feel real excitement/respect/love/desire to score another Bond film?
  • LeChiffre wrote:

I hope not. He's a good actor, but far too young, IMO.

Philip Seymour Hoffman would make a great Blofeld.