Spectre wish list

1303133353650

Comments

  • Posts: 14,890
    How often, in the whole franchise, did the plot revolved about world domination? I can only count three, YOLT, TSWLM and MR. And they are all recycled plots.
  • Posts: 14,890
    Birdleson wrote:
    Time to do it through the filter of Craig sensibilities.

    It has barely been done before, and twice during the Roger Moore's era, and I would argue it was never believable to begin with. Yes, in DN there is mention of world domination, but it is entirely Bond's assumption.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Posts: 7,314
    Ludovico wrote:
    How often, in the whole franchise, did the plot revolved about world domination? I can only count three, YOLT, TSWLM and MR. And they are all recycled plots.
    That sounds about right although you could make the case that SPECTRE's end goal was world domination so everything they did prior to YOLT was all leading up to that moment. Perhaps we could even say the same about QUANTUM but we don't have enough information about them.
  • Posts: 14,890
    pachazo wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    How often, in the whole franchise, did the plot revolved about world domination? I can only count three, YOLT, TSWLM and MR. And they are all recycled plots.
    That sounds about right although you could make the case that SPECTRE's end goal was world domination so everything they did prior to YOLT was all leading up to that moment. Perhaps we could even say the same about QUANTUM but we don't have enough information about them.

    Even in YOLT, Blofeld was working as China's contractor. As for the previous movies, we don't know how literally SPECTRE had this as an ideal. In fact, it was Bond who used the word in DN. That is not to say that SPECTRE, or even Goldfinger, if successful in their plot, would not have turned the world upside down. But they were not scheme to concretely, explicitly create a world dictatorship.

    Now the only way I could see it working then and now, is for an international criminal organization to become the power behind the throne, so have a scheme akin to the one of QOS, but on a larger scale and in a more important country.
  • Hopefully it will delve into some new thematic material with Bond.
  • My musings:

    Bond films tend to be topical/zeitgeisty, so I wonder if surveillance/Edward Snowden won't be involved, even if not by name. Also, given that Russia has been in the news so much lately, maybe Bond 24 could involve the Russians.

  • I've said my wishlist before (I think?) but here it is again.

    - Quantum!
    - Bond gets the girl
    - this time it's NOT personal
    - keep the lightness of touch from Skyfall
    - No Ben Wishaw (lol)
    - Moneypenny and M don't get involved
    - A HALF DECENT HENCHMAN
    - A proper climax. We haven't had one since TND imo.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,336
    Birdleson wrote:
    I've said my wishlist before (I think?) but here it is again.

    - Quantum!
    - Bond gets the girl
    - this time it's NOT personal
    - keep the lightness of touch from Skyfall
    - No Ben Wishaw (lol)
    - Moneypenny and M don't get involved
    - A HALF DECENT HENCHMAN
    - A proper climax. We haven't had one since TND imo.

    I like all of that. I wouldn't count on Quantum, though. EON wants to distance themselves from what they see as a damaged name.

    When did EON say Quantum was a damaged name?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,336
    Just because Quantum wasn't mentioned in Skyfall doesn't mean they won't be returning. SPECTRE wasn't mentioned in Goldfinger and they returned the following film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,336
    None of those things say they won't return. I for one want to see Quantum return. It started an arch that was left open. It needs to be closed.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,257
    Murdock wrote:
    None of those things say they won't return. I for one want to see Quantum return. It started an arch that was left open. It needs to be closed.

    That's kind of how I see it. I don't think anyone is looking for a rehash of QOS but IMO, there is still plenty of meat left on the Quantum bone. I wouldn't be particularly heart broken if Quantum didn't return, but I would appreciate the continuity (something this franchise doesn't embrace) if they did.

    On a similar note, I'm seeing some share the same type of aversion towards the return of Quantum that I have for the return of SPECTRE and Blofeld
  • Posts: 14,890
    Birdleson wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Just because Quantum wasn't mentioned in Skyfall doesn't mean they won't be returning. SPECTRE wasn't mentioned in Goldfinger and they returned the following film.

    The point is, it wasn't popular with the general public. I don't see EON wanting to revisit it.

    the movie was the least popular of the Craig movies, but that says nothing about Quantum, which is the same unnamed organisation in CR, a very popular movie.
    Birdleson wrote:
    EON isn't concerned with you're compulsion for closure.

    You must be very well connected about their plan if you know what they are concerned about.
  • I think the best thing to do would be to bring back SPECTRE, which is far more iconic that Quantum, and give Quantum a throw-away line for closure, i.e., they collapsed or morphed into SPECTRE or Quantum was just a code-name for SPECTRE all along.
  • Posts: 14,890
    I'd be happy with something like that, if done properly. A bit like SPECTRE took over SMERSH in the novels, while taking some of its former members.
  • Posts: 14,890
    I don't find it obvious at all. QOS' title was not liked very much, neither was the movie popular, relatively speaking, but I don't remember anyone rejecting Quantum, the organization or its name after the release of the movie. Anyone in the production, that is.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Birdleson wrote:
    I think it's obvious that they wouldn't want that connection with the word Quantum.

    They released a 'Quantum' fragrance, not long ago, so I'm not sure they are that fussed about distancing themselves from the word.
  • Posts: 14,890
    Yes they don't seem to be hostile to Quantum. It's not like the name was the Scottish play.
  • Posts: 9,806
    Hang on

    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jamesbond22.htm

    Quantum of Solace nearly made 600 million world wide how is that a disappointment

    Skyfall was Craig's Goldfinger Quantum will return.

    I hope
  • Posts: 14,890
    I think he meant critical. But even.then it is relative.
  • Risico007 wrote:
    Hang on

    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jamesbond22.htm

    Quantum of Solace nearly made 600 million world wide how is that a disappointment

    Skyfall was Craig's Goldfinger Quantum will return.

    I hope

    It was a massive hit, but (at least from the professional critics POV), it was seen as a disappointment and letdown from CR. Although if you go to amazon and read the reviews, more people like it then don't. I don't think it's regarded as being a Phantom Menace type of letdown.

    All that said, my sense is that the general public would be happy if EON moved on and won't care if Quantum is not revisited.

  • Posts: 9,806
    Not exactly both my ex gf and my fiancé were annoyed quantum was carried on in skyfall and neither is a huge bond fan mind you that is a small point of the general population but I find it easier to believe hardcore bond fans who want spectre/blofield back want quantum to disappear.

    I think until proven other wise quantum will come back
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I don't think the Goldfinger comparison works because it was an adaption of the book (and they were actually planning to adapt Thunderball but all the Mcclory legal stuff got in the way), so of course SPECTRE weren't in it.

    With Skyfall they had an original story, they could've done whatever they wanted, and they didn't even mention Quantum. Maybe they were just giving them a film off but since most people don't give a shit about them, and QOS was seen as a disappointment, I think a Quantum return is unlikely.

    Also, I think when we're having to ask "do people care about Quantum?", that shows that not many people do. If the majority wanted Quantum back then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
  • Posts: 14,890
    If a majority was hostile to the return of Quantum, nobody would be talking about it either. Asking a question is not answering it.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Risico007 wrote:
    I think until proven other wise quantum will come back

    'I think until proven otherwise, Quantum will not come back'. Neither really have any basis in fact do they? Let's see what happens before constantly spouting baseless platitudes.

  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:
    If a majority was hostile to the return of Quantum, nobody would be talking about it either.

    I'm not saying the majority don't want Quantum to return, I'm saying the majority don't care/don't remember them, and I doubt EON will bring them back just to please the big Bond fans.

    We'll have to wait and see but I don't think they'll return.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2014 Posts: 45,489
    RC7 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    I think until proven other wise quantum will come back

    'I think until proven otherwise, Quantum will not come back'./quote]


    They are both right. All I have to say.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Birdleson wrote:
    Yes. If I'm wrong next Nov., I will say, "Boy, was I wrong."

    The Quantum argument has turned into rather a funny one. There are those that are completely ambivalent, myself included, and there are those that feel we're missing out on something so seminal it must return, at all costs. I personally don't see how you can come to the latter conclusion. Above all else EON will be aiming to make the best film possible. If that includes Quantum, so be it, if it doesn't, fine. Either way, they won't feel obliged to tie up the fabricated annoyances of some fans. QoS left no loose ends. It tied up Bond's personal story and left Quantum, to some extent, out there. You overthrow a Government, another pops up. Quantum don't seem like the kind of organisation that can be 'defeated' per se. Logic says Quantum will not return, but I didn't think SF would make $1bn, so what do I know?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,336
    I want Quantum back because they are full of potential. They are the SPECTRE of this generation. God forbid we have some continuity in the Craig movies. Also, Where's Mister White? He's gotta be dealt with too. [-(
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Murdock wrote:
    I want Quantum back because they are full of potential. They are the SPECTRE of this generation. God forbid we have some continuity in the Craig movies. Also, Where's Mister White? He's gotta be dealt with too. [-(

    They are full of potential because we discuss them endlessly. In reality, nothing happened at the end of QoS to really warrant closure. Yes, White was a great character, but there wasn't anything specific to tie up. That's not to say he can't feature again, but it would have to be a superior story for him to feature. No one writing a Bond wants to hamstrung by that which has gone before. It was different in the 60's. Right now, John Logan will surely be wanting to put his stamp on the franchise and you don't do that by inheriting the work of others.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,336
    Logan's writing the next 2 so we'll just have to wait and see. This is a Wish list thread after all.
Sign In or Register to comment.