If Blofeld were to return to the modern Bond films...who would play him well?

Comments

JJMC wrote:
    If bald headed actor is the only criteria then it has to be Sean...

Don't you give anyone any idea.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    If he was to return he should work for Quatum,that whould be good.
    Ludovico wrote:
    JJMC wrote:
    If bald headed actor is the only criteria then it has to be Sean...

Don't you give anyone any idea.
    Didn't mean it seriously but point taken

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Has anyone mentioned Philip Seymour Hoffman yet?
    He could a great Blofeld. He's a very gifted actor.
    Has anyone mentioned Philip Seymour Hoffman yet?
    He could a great Blofeld. He's a very gifted actor.

As a TB Blofeld maybe, but a bit too Philip Seymour Hoffman for my taste and already associated with Mission Impossible.
    Alan Rickman
    Alan Rickman

A bit too obvious, and he is getting old I think. He does look like the OHMSS Blofeld though.
    Repeating myself here but Christopher Eccleston. Incredible actor that's a Bond fan.
  • I'll still go with Tim Curry, very few can play a villain like he does.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Patrick Stewart make it so. Great if he would take the part.
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    I think Michael Emerson could be a wonderful Blofeld.

lost-ben1_1238188564.jpg
    walter1985 wrote:
    I think Michael Emerson could be a wonderful Blofeld.

lost-ben1_1238188564.jpg

Too close to Pleasence in look, I think. I could see him as a Bond villain, just not Blofeld. Not if they want to start anew with the character anyway.

One other name came to my mind: Lorcan Cranitch. Lesser known veteran actor, very competent, and furthermore he seems to have a "malleable" face: he looks very different from say Cracker to Rome. Blofeld of course was in the novels (and in the movies) a shapeshifter of sort, changing radically his appearance. And he is about the right age, 53, the same age Blofeld was in OHMSS.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 14,824
    Or, just a thought, maybe Ken Stott? He might be getting a bit old now, sadly. And he is not as ''malleable'' as Cranitch. That said, he does have something of TB's Blofeld.
  • Viggo Mortenson would be great as a long white haired Blofeld.

I also am not a fan of chair bound Blofeld.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    doubleoego wrote:
    Idris Elba as Blofeld.
    this would be a great choice. I've always thought it would be interesting if Quantum is a branch, or rival, of S.P.E.C.T.R.E. Because they have been revealed, at the opera in QoS, all involved are being eliminated. This does not go unnoticed by Mi6.

• I can't really think of a good one off the top of my head but he shouldn't be an uber popular actor like Bruce Willis.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 316
    It's a new timeline, so in regard to the earlier comments about SPECTRE, they could just re-introduce Blofeld as the head of Quantum.
    Personally i think Christian Bale would be a great Blofeld. This may be due to the fact that I'd like to hear his actual voice before I die, but my statement stands.
    Or I like the idea of Robert Downey Jr as blofeld
    Bale is too young looking and too good looking. Anybody has an actor in mind that is not associated to a popular franchise and/or bald?
  • RC7RC7
    It's a new timeline, so in regard to the earlier comments about SPECTRE, they could just re-introduce Blofeld as the head of Quantum.
    Personally i think Christian Bale would be a great Blofeld. This may be due to the fact that I'd like to hear his actual voice before I die, but my statement stands.

No offence, but I'm glad you're not John Logan. That said, still not as bad as suggesting Patrick Stewart.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Bale is too young looking and too good looking. Anybody has an actor in mind that is not associated to a popular franchise and/or bald?

I still love the idea of Day-Lewis as the OHMSS (Novel) Blofeld.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    If at some point Blofeld does return, then I hope the character does have hair. We have the opportunity now to move away from old cliches and Austin powers spoofs. Actors who I think should play him? Sam Niel? He missed out on being bond, why not? He's just someone I like and trying to throw someone else in the mix :))
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,399
    going to post some of my ideas - going for not only acting ability, but actors with interesting faces..

Brian Cranston
    best known for his lead performance in the show Breaking Bad, I think he has the right like and acting ability to pull a solid Blofeld - but he's primarily a tv actor, and could he make the jump into a big budgeted action flick like Bond?
    cranston_zpsec2ccb3a.jpg

Ted Levine
    call this my out of left field choice, but Ted Levine is an actor who everyone forgets about - best known for his role as Buffalo Bill in The Silence Of The Lambs.. He has foreboding presence to him, and has the ability to put on the charm essential for a Bond villain - but also can give you that crazy stare that could send chills right down your spine.
    levine_zps489858c9.jpg

Daniel Day Lewis
    safe choice... what is there to really say about the man? he's a world class actor and always demands the best out of a script. If brought on board, both he and the other Daniel would light their scenes on fire.
    daylewis_zpsc752994a.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix
    an interesting choice.. He has grown a lot as an actor, and has a few Oscar nods to prove that. He would bring an interesting dynamic to the role, and he's versatile enough that he could play the character in a number of ways, and give him tremendous depth.
    pheonix_zpsa0cf757f.jpg

Michael Fassbender
    everyone's favorite Craig successor, but I would love to see him as the anti-Bond in an upcoming film.. I think he has all the talent in the world, and wouldn't mind seeing him step into the tux as Bond one day - but since that seems to be too obvious of a choice, I would rather see him as a baddie. ((just like when Ralph Fiennes was signed on, everyone thought he was going to be a villain or Blofeld - too obvious - as I was one of, if not the first to peg him on this site as being Dench's successor as M))
    fassbender_zpsf06c1ed0.jpg
    RC7 wrote:

No offence, but I'm glad you're not John Logan. That said, still not as bad as suggesting Patrick Stewart.
    Ludovico wrote:

I like the idea too, and at least he's not bald.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,052
    Perhaps if we narrow down who is the greatest bald living actor today and then we will find the answer?
    Perhaps if we narrow down who is the greatest bald living actor today and then we will find the answer?

Or we can narrow down our search by cutting out every bald actor from it, good or bad.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:

Or we can narrow down our search by cutting out every bald actor from it, good or bad.

Agreed.

I'm hoping @identigraph was being sarcastic.
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed.

I'm hoping @identigraph was being sarcastic.

I was indeed, although would a bald actor with a suitably terrible wig be allowed, I think it would be baldist to exclude.
    I am watching Game of Thrones and I thought how about Stephen Dillane? He looks a bit like the OHMSS Blofeld and only has a receiding hairline. Although I do have some reservations: he is British (so far the Craig era has favoured non Anglo-Saxons for villains) and I would rather see a TB-looking Blofeld, brutish and large.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,043
    As much as I liked the idea of Fassbender as Bond long before it became popular, (been following this guy since Hunger was theatrically released). I actually went off the idea as it was becoming the in thing to say plus he's far too big now to be considered as Bond but Blofeld, I really see it.

Cranston would not be a good choice look how uninspired Michael Shannon ( amazing in Boardwalk Empire) was in Man of Steel as General Zod. Why do we assume that as Cranston did WW bold he would be right for Ernst?

I second @thelivingroyale that Eccleston would be a great choice. Although I wasn't hugely impressed with Lucan on over Chrsitmas in the UK despite a great Rory Kinnear it was worth it to see Chris steal the program with his extraordinary performance as Lucan's toffy nosed best friend. Nothing like I've seen him play before if he could channel that into Blofeld, we could have something special, or maybe Mads big brother Lars, if not EB maybe a future Bond villain.

As for Bruce Willis as Blofeld, I believe the Brosnan era has ended.
  • There are so many great actors who could take the part of Blofeld. There is also a lot of things they could do with the character, they could make him more of a cerebral threat to Bond or maybe even a more physically imposing villain. After Bardem I think it's clear that Mendes will gun for a big talent to take on the role (that is if Blofeld does return, which I think is likely)

Daniel Day-Lewis

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Faf%2F1a%2F1d7937a347229e3f7e06ab28e757%2Fdaniel-day-lewis.jpg

DDL is famously picky but what a great talent he is. If they could get him he would be ideal. I think the incentive of Craig, Mendes, Deakins and Logan could entice him but he has never been in a big-budget tentpole before. If DDL was ever to go 'mainstream' I really hope he chooses a Bond villain role. He'd have made a great Bond back in 1995 and for those reasons would be perfect playing the darker side of 007. He's my dream casting for Blofeld.

Joaquin Phoenix

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fc6%2F720ad0fadb11e1baf122000a1d0930%2Ffile%2Fmaster-star-joaquin-phoenix-says-making-im-still-here-damaged-his-career.jpg

Another great choice for the part but like DDL is unlikely to attach himself to a big-budget film. He gave one of the best performances I've ever seen in 'The Master' but I can't see him wanting to do a Bond movie. However, I would say the same about Bardem before SF. There is talk he will be in 'Batman vs Superman' which I really hope is not true, Phoenix shouldn't slump it in a Zach Synder film, once again if he does go 'mainstream' I hope it's with Bond.

Denzel Washington

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F8f%2Fe68210520811e197b6123138165f92%2Ffile%2Fdenzel-washington-says-theatre-is-his-19323-edit.jpg

He would nail Blofeld. He has the gravitas, the screen presence and he's not afraid to chew the screenery. I think Denzel could definetly bring a similar flavour to the villain role that Javier bought. He can be twisted and macarbe but also charmismatic and playful.

Bruno Ganz

bruno-ganz.jpg

Anyone who has seen 'Downfall' knows that Ganz is a great actor and I think he'd make a terrific Blofeld if they were planning on making the character older.

Gary Oldman

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fc9%2F6d5bc0aa9211e1bcc4123138165f92%2Ffile%2Fgary-oldman.jpg

Pretty much a staple on any 'potential villain' list but Oldman has been playing the avunlar role in films of late so it's time he became evil again. Blofeld would be the ideal role.

Leonardo DiCaprio

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F90%2F6190a0b09e11e1bcc4123138165f92%2Ffile%2FLeonardo_DiCaprio-Django-Unchained.png

Hear me out here. He may not seem the perfect fit for Blofeld and he probably isn't. But if the character was cast as a younger man he could work. He proved how good he was being bad in 'Django' so I hope if it's not Blofeld he plays a Bond villain plus he has a history with Mendes which could help.

Philip Seymour-Hoffman

philip-seymour-hoffman-to-direct-period-ghost-tale-ezekiel-moss-20120917

He's pretty much perfect for the role.
  • RC7 wrote:

Ludovico wrote:

Bale is a great method actor. That said, my only reason for casting him is to give him just one big role where he uses his normal voice! Downey Jr was a joke.