If Blofeld were to return to the modern Bond films...who would play him well?

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Brent Spiner would be a decent Blofeld, now that he is older and a bit massier:

Wrong colour. Blofeld should never be sort of pale green
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSS3PLJ8J51WfzClxpZK6CL8seUzUr6lh7VuEpTb2Igt05DWCGkTA

What about Patrick Stewart?
    Mark Strong?
  • Bruno Ganz would also be a good shout
  • Brent Spiner would be a decent Blofeld, now that he is older and a bit massier:

brentspiner.gif

Or Ciarán Hinds:

IA.30-34-528x347.jpg

Richard Sammel (Gettler in CR) would also deserve a main villain role:

422275_411475852250288_10566698_n.jpg

Good call on Brent Spiner - he hadn't entered my mind - that pic looks like he would be a great Blofeld.

I still stick by Gary Oldman as a great Blofeld for a Nolan directed Bond film.
    I'd love it if Fiennes as Mallory = Blofeld with a posh accent! Incidentally I've just met a cricket commentator called Henry Blofeld on an "evening with" night whose family actually knew Ian Fleming and donated the use of hisfamily name to Bond's arch nemesis. Very nice chap too. Henry that is not Ernst Stavros obviously!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Patrick Stewart's the best option.

Look at the - not perfect - edition i made on his face:

PatrickStewartBlofeld.jpg
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Patrick Stewart's the best option.

Look at the - not perfect - edition i made on his face:

PatrickStewartBlofeld.jpg

Lol! Nice job!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Thank you @RogueAgent :D

Anyway there are plenty more options. as above listed, Brent Spiner's a good one.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 17,275
    Hamilton_-_Men_inte_om_det_g-ller_din_dotter.jpg

Mikael Persbrandt could be a great Blofeld - given that he is a bit younger than in the older Bond films.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    doubleoego wrote:
    Eccleston could be interesting. I believe he's a villain for the new Thor film.

I picked him because think he's just a brilliant actor, who looks like Blofeld, and he's a Bond fan.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/newsdetail.asp?id=14206

And he looks more like Ralph Fiennes in that shot.. Hahaha!
    I really want it to be this guy

Season_4_-_Walt.jpg
    dragonsky wrote:
    I really want it to be this guy

Season_4_-_Walt.jpg
    He´s too exposed lately, it would look like a parody.

• I think it all depends how Blofeld is played/introduced. I doubt they would reintroduce him as a Pleasance/Savalas/Grey type Blofeld...I can envisage a younger Blofeld, one that is every bit as smart, daring and dashing as 007 but the darker side of Bond (almost how Scaramanga was in TMWTGG). You can keep all the Blofeld mannerisms i.e. the white cat and the fighting fish...but go with a great looking evil genius if you get me?

Just my idea, but I think Michael Fassbender, in this sense and in my idea, would make a good Blofeld
    I think it all depends how Blofeld is played/introduced. I doubt they would reintroduce him as a Pleasance/Savalas/Grey type Blofeld...I can envisage a younger Blofeld, one that is every bit as smart, daring and dashing as 007 but the darker side of Bond (almost how Scaramanga was in TMWTGG). You can keep all the Blofeld mannerisms i.e. the white cat and the fighting

fish...but go with a great looking evil genius if you get me?

Just my idea, but I think Michael Fassbender, in this sense and in my idea, would make a good Blofeld

Fassbender would make a better Blofeld IMO than a future Bond.
  • LeChiffre wrote:
    I think it all depends how Blofeld is played/introduced. I doubt they would reintroduce him as a Pleasance/Savalas/Grey type Blofeld...I can envisage a younger Blofeld, one that is every bit as smart, daring and dashing as 007 but the darker side of Bond (almost how Scaramanga was in TMWTGG). You can keep all the Blofeld mannerisms i.e. the white cat and the fighting

fish...but go with a great looking evil genius if you get me?

Fassbender would make a better Blofeld IMO than a future Bond.

Great call!
    I was thinking recently that Tom Hardy would actually make a brilliant Bond - and Fassbender would instead make a great rogue agent turned bad guy!

• liam neeson
  • RC7RC7
    Personally I'd like to see Blofeld as described in OHMSS, not the Dr. Evil parody version.
  • I certainly think people are too quick to write off the notion of an established Bond franchise villain such as Blofeld coming back. I see Blofeld as more of a Joker character - it's how you interpret and reinterpret the character to make the character fresh that counts. For instance; Heath Ledger took elements from Nicholson's previous portrayal then added his own twists, as well as Nolan's new look for the Joker and a couple of mentions of the Joker's ambiguous background and his mythical standing as a figure in Gotham already - the agent of anarchy.

I'd make Blofeld a man of action and a pseudo-terrorist as he was in OHMSS, but keep the sinister aspects of his nature from YOLT as a man who has become the head of one of the arms of Quantum or some predecessor to SPECTRE. I'd also keep his origins ambiguous making his intentions even more ambiguous also e.g. he could for instance talk in stark received pronunciation and yet openly show contempt for England and MI6. So I'd cast someone who is a chameleon actor - so someone like Gary Oldman - though if I was directing I'd get him to get fitter - perhaps a younger actor could be cast.
  • The bottom line of this issue, and it's been said before and no mistake, is that Ernst Stavro Blofeld should never return to the James Bond series. The character is archaic and obselete from a 21st century perspective and I strongly feel, should never be brought back or seen again and I hope it never occurs

Furthermore wasn't he killed at the end of Diamonds are Forever, or if not that, then For Your Eyes Only ?

The guy's having more comebacks than Frank Sinatra it seems, but it's something I hope never sees the light of day
  • Anyone who says Blofeld is unrealistic and won’t work needs to go watch The Dark Knight and then try to tell me that the Joker is unrealistic and doesn’t work. The fact of the matter is that almost any character can work, so long as they are tailored to fit a plot that makes their existence feasible.

Personally I cannot wait for the return of Blofeld and SPECTER in the Bond franchise because they are as timeless as M and Q. What I do not want though is a meager Donald Pleasance with a scar type Blofeld, but rather a return to the original as he was described by Fleming in Thunderball: tall, heavy, strong, black cru-cut hair, and with features like Mussolini. That said, I would like the character to be re-imagined a bit as well. For instance perhaps he could be Russian, or even American. At any rate, he needs to be a physical match for Craig’s Bond, despite being probably 10 years older.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    What about Patrick Stewart?

He did something similar in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (BBC) when he played Karla, which isn't a rejection, just a trivia.
  • Daniel Day-Lewis.... for ANY Bond villain.
  • RC7RC7

Furthermore wasn't he killed at the end of Diamonds are Forever, or if not that, then For Your Eyes Only ?

Craig's timeline is separate to the previous 20 films so would therefore make it theoretically possible. Whether it's a good idea remains to be seen. I can't see them doing it during his tenure but perhaps if they need a great hook for the next actor and have a decent reason for it, then I'm all for it. At the end of the day, the mere mention of the name would suffice.
  • Anyone who says Blofeld is unrealistic and won’t work needs to go watch The Dark Knight and then try to tell me that the Joker is unrealistic and doesn’t work. The fact of the matter is that almost any character can work, so long as they are tailored to fit a plot that makes their existence feasible.

Personally I cannot wait for the return of Blofeld and SPECTER in the Bond franchise because they are as timeless as M and Q. What I do not want though is a meager Donald Pleasance with a scar type Blofeld, but rather a return to the original as he was described by Fleming in Thunderball: tall, heavy, strong, black cru-cut hair, and with features like Mussolini. That said, I would like the character to be re-imagined a bit as well. For instance perhaps he could be Russian, or even American. At any rate, he needs to be a physical match for Craig’s Bond, despite being probably 10 years older.

exactly!!! :) I feel the problem is that Austin Powers and Dr Evil have sort of whitewashed the character of Blofeld and painted him as passe or pastiche in peoples minds. For instance; if Myers had done a parody of Batman, and portrayed the Joker as a character called The Evil Clown, and then embodied the character with all the shallow elements of what the Joker has e.g. laughing, evil, dressing as a clown etc then maybe he would have tinted that character with a sort of air of passe-ness. Whereas Nolan has taken the likes of Scarecrow, the Joker and Bane and transmuted them into a more complex set of villains.
  • Daniel Day-Lewis.... for ANY Bond villain.

I agree with this as well...sorry to double post
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    No baldies please! Let's have Blofeld as written, get away from the DP bald pussy stroking pantomime villain!
  • They shouldn't change him too much. He can keep his cat.

I want Blofeld to return, but I don't want SPECTRE back unless they ditch Quantum. No point having 2 evil organisations.

So either ditch Quantum or have Blofeld working solo.
  • I actually have elaborated on my Blofeld idea;

I would reintroduce Quantum and show that the organisation has expanded and infiltrated MI6, as well as co-opting many crime syndicates and reinstating them under Quantum's leadership.
    But then I'd show that there is a large group within Quantum who want more overt action and want a dangerous criminal called Blofeld to lead Quantum.
    I'd explain via flashbacks how Blofeld tried to stage a coup, but the heads of Quantum had him taken out of the picture by having him shot, and imprisoned in a large Quantum complex (why they wouldn't just kill him, I haven't quite worked out lol). I'd iterate that Blofeld was so dangerous even the head figures of Quantum feared him and his ever increasing brotherhood/following.
    Then I'd have a core of Quantum operatives storm the complex where Blofeld is held and set him free - freeing Blofeld to take over Quantum, ultimately making Quantum in to the larger organization SPECTRE.
    I'd have Blofeld as more of a terrorist than a scheming Dr Evil-genius - I'd cast Gary Oldman/Daniel Day Lewis as a balding Blofeld who commands more like Telly Sevalas or Bane rather than sat in a chair stroking a cat. Though I would have Blofeld still have a cat as well as other strange eccentricities that mystify those who follow him. In all...Blofeld would be rather a Hitler-esque figure mixed with Bane's terrorist sensibilities.

lewisblake wrote:
    I actually have elaborated on my Blofeld idea;

I would reintroduce Quantum and show that the organisation has expanded and infiltrated MI6, as well as co-opting many crime syndicates and reinstating them under Quantum's leadership.
    But then I'd show that there is a large group within Quantum who want more overt action and want a dangerous criminal called Blofeld to lead Quantum.
    I'd explain via flashbacks how Blofeld tried to stage a coup, but the heads of Quantum had him taken out of the picture by having him shot, and imprisoned in a large Quantum complex (why they wouldn't just kill him, I haven't quite worked out lol). I'd iterate that Blofeld was so dangerous even the head figures of Quantum feared him and his ever increasing brotherhood/following.
    Then I'd have a core of Quantum operatives storm the complex where Blofeld is held and set him free - freeing Blofeld to take over Quantum, ultimately making Quantum in to the larger organization SPECTRE.
    I'd have Blofeld as more of a terrorist than a scheming Dr Evil-genius - I'd cast Gary Oldman/Daniel Day Lewis as a balding Blofeld who commands more like Telly Sevalas or Bane rather than sat in a chair stroking a cat. Though I would have Blofeld still have a cat as well as other strange eccentricities that mystify those who follow him. In all...Blofeld would be rather a Hitler-esque figure mixed with Bane's terrorist sensibilities.

You had me at "reintroduce Quantum"! Brilliant suggestion. Not sure DDL would ever be interested but perfect casting if it ever happened. They could call the film " The Spectre of Quantum"!