If Blofeld were to return to the modern Bond films...who would play him well?

Comments

Mitt Romney should be perfect
    Any return of Blofeld will require a complete make over and that means he will look nothing like the Donald Pleasance portrayal. (Mike Myers ruined that look so let's stay clear of bald, scarred actors) He will have to be re-invented, a post cold war figure dissatisfied with the wall coming down perhaps? I still think Qantum was weak and SPECTRE is where it's really at. Maybe Qantum is a subsidiary organization, a front, a ruse perpetrated to throw MI6 off the scent until SPECTRE is fully operational. In any case Blofeld can be modernised with a new background and new terrorist agenda. How about economic terrorism and he attacks all nations? Nothing like the world's master criminal being sort after by everybody? I hope he makes a return at some point, he is after all Bond's real arch enemy, they can't re-do the books again, but they could re-work some of the characters and modernise them with Blofeld at the helm. Why not re-invent him as being British? British father east German mother? Age approx 50-55, he needs to be highly intelligent, extremely arrogant, tall with a look that can convey no empathy whatsoever. Accent, Mid-Atlantic British with slight eastern European inflection. Ruthless in all manner of things. Could they interest Daniel Day Lewis? He is the one actor guaranteed to make an audience forget totally about every other portrayal of this famous character in any Bond film.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2013 Posts: 10,512
    Glenn wrote:
    Could they interest Daniel Day Lewis? He is the one actor guaranteed to make an audience forget totally about every other portrayal of this famous character in any Bond film.

I always loved the idea of Day Lewis as the OHMSS (literary) incarnation. I'm all for lesser known actors, but Day Lewis with long white hair and green tinted lenses conjures up images of a great Bond villain, and an authentic cinematic take on Blofeld.

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Brendan Rodgers
    RC7 wrote:
    Glenn wrote:
    Could they interest Daniel Day Lewis? He is the one actor guaranteed to make an audience forget totally about every other portrayal of this famous character in any Bond film.

I always loved the idea of Day Lewis as the OHMSS (literary) incarnation. I'm all for lesser known actors, but Day Lewis with long white hair and green tinted lenses conjures up images of a great Bond villain, and an authentic cinematic take on Blofeld.

Any return of Blofeld will require producers to re-ivent the character, he could easily be modernised, but in keeping with one of Fleming's descriptions i think you're right the long white hair and green tinted glasses would still work. One thing is for certain any return of Blofeld sends the box office through the stratosphere providing they get the right actor to make us all forget who came before him. I think producers want to do it, but still face legal challenges with the character which is a shame for us fans.
  • Sean Connery :p
  • I prefer Blofeld to be more than chair-bound, a villain who isn't averse to getting physical if need be -- like Telly Savalas in OHMSS.

I nominate South African actor Arnold Vosloo (HARD TARGET, 1999's THE MUMMY).
    Definitely Mark Strong, or Mike Myers! JK but seriously think Strong would be a great choice, especially if he could link up with Guy Ritchie again :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Mark Strong would be great as well. Give us a Telly-like Blofeld that isn't afraid to do some real scrapping with Bond. That is how their relationship should be, not with Blofeld letting his guys try and take care of Bond every time.

I wish we had three Bond films with Dan to set up Blofeld as the Quantum head. One to introduce him, one for him to cause massive destruction to Bond, and a final one for Bond to have a big face off with him in one final brutal battle. I would love to see Bond have to take a team of SAS and shoot his way to Blofeld, and they would face off against he and the Quantum agents with guns. Bond and the team would blast and shoot their way through the defenses, where at the climax they have a brutal one on one fight. That would be the perfect send off to Dan's era, him being "the last rat standing" over his biggest enemy.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    600full-bruce-willis.jpg
    yeh him

Brad Friedel , even though he's a footballer he might do well
    I am not convinced Mark Strong would make a good Blofeld. Too predictable a casting I think.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 16
    If you watch Mark Strong in Sherlock Holmes, he exudes evil, also while he's not quite a physical match for Dan he's not exactly a weakling either.
    samainsy wrote:
    Love it :)

No double posts please.
    Willis has become a caricature of himself. He never seems new or fresh, just the same character with a different name. Hopkins has lost the subtley he had. His Hitchcock turn was cheesy. He'll alwlays be compared to Hannibal L. I'm sure there's no shortage of great character actors without much name recognition who could play Blofeld. For me it's less about the name than an actor who projects a threatening intelligence. Pleasance and the clown who played Blofeld in FYEO were cartoonish at best.
    CrabKey wrote:
    Willis has become a caricature of himself. He never seems new or fresh, just the same character with a different name. Hopkins has lost the subtley he had. His Hitchcock turn was cheesy. He'll alwlays be compared to Hannibal L. I'm sure there's no shortage of great character actors without much name recognition who could play Blofeld. For me it's less about the name than an actor who projects a threatening intelligence. Pleasance and the clown who played Blofeld in FYEO were cartoonish at best.

What he said.

Beside, what kind of Blofeld do we want? A carbon copy of the past ones, with bald head and scar? Or a Blofeld we have not seen before? Like, I don't know, the one from the novels.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    samainsy wrote:

Do I detect Touchmybuttons is back?
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    Beside, what kind of Blofeld do we want? A carbon copy of the past ones, with bald head and scar? Or a Blofeld we have not seen before? Like, I don't know, the one from the novels.

I keep saying this, yet people insist on suggesting bald men as appropriate for the role. If, and that's a very big if, they ever being him back, he won't resemble any of the film incarnations whatsoever. They'll completely reinvent him.

RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I keep saying this, yet people insist on suggesting bald men as appropriate for the role. If, and that's a very big if, they ever being him back, he won't resemble any of the film incarnations whatsoever. They'll completely reinvent him.

I always wondered why people keep thinking bald actor=Blofeld potential. I mean surely the character is more than his spoofed image.
  • JRRJRR
    Wait for it, as this may sound like a wild card; Jean Reno could be a really sinister villain, possibly even a new version of Blofeld; he also has the espionage film background with films like Leon & Ronin to his credit.
    JRR wrote:
    Wait for it, as this may sound like a wild card; Jean Reno could be a really sinister villain, possibly even a new version of Blofeld; he also has the espionage film background with films like Leon & Ronin to his credit.

But I doubt Jean Reno can have another accent than a French one, and he is getting old and he is, well Jean Reno.
  • JRRJRR
    Some times an older villain is even more ominous and twisted, they have time riding against them and it has probably taken them to that point in their scheming lives to manoeuvre into a position where they can really start to manipulate the world into employing their devious ploys.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 199
    samainsy wrote:

Do I detect Touchmybuttons is back?
    what?
    JJMC wrote:
    samainsy wrote:
    he looks like him though and he should retire ina few yers or months as he's 41

JRR wrote:
    Some times an older villain is even more ominous and twisted, they have time riding against them and it has probably taken them to that point in their scheming lives to manoeuvre into a position where they can really start to manipulate the world into employing their devious ploys.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I prefer older, more mature villains, in general, for Bond movies. In their late 40s or early 50s, ideally. And as I mentioned, Jean Reno is Jean Reno.
    samainsy wrote:
    JJMC wrote:
    samainsy wrote:

Oh please! You are not serious.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote:
    samainsy wrote:
    JJMC wrote:
    samainsy wrote:

I think the guy might be playing you Ludovico. In another thread he suggested Bond should drive that Aston Martin Cygnet which also seems like an attempt to wind people up to me. He also sent me an abusive e-mail when I criticised him so definitely needs monitoring.

Now Jonjo Shelvey as Blofeld I can certainly see in about 20 years! :))
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Him being Buttons would explain some things...

On topic though, I'm no fan of Blofeld returning. I wouldn't want to cast him!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Ludovico wrote:
    samainsy wrote:
    JJMC wrote:
    samainsy wrote:

I think the guy might be playing you Ludovico. In another thread he suggested Bond should drive that Aston Martin Cygnet which also seems like an attempt to wind people up to me. He also sent me an abusive e-mail when I criticised him so definitely needs monitoring.

Samuel001 wrote:
    Him being Buttons would explain some things...

On topic though, I'm no fan of Blofeld returning. I wouldn't want to cast him!

I myself find him to be a fascinating specimen. He appears to have undergone a lobotomy, yet is still functioning enough to type and form sentences, though the grammar is lacking. :-B
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just to stop any finger pointing an IP check would suggest this is not Buttons or any other recent problem...I mean member.
    One of the things that goes with being the #1 Bond forum I suppose.

On topic, I'm indifferent for a return of Ernie.B.
    He's not a character that needs to make a comeback. But it would put a wry smile on my face if he did methinks.
    Ludovico wrote:
    samainsy wrote:
    JJMC wrote:
    samainsy wrote:

What message?And know I wasnt joking about the Cygnet I mean if it did happen he would be given it just to to through London but gets blown up and gets given a better Aston Martin like a DBS.
    If bald headed actor is the only criteria then it has to be Sean...