If Blofeld were to return to the modern Bond films...who would play him well?

Comments

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I've already said but my first choice is Sir Ben Kingsley ; my second is Patrick Stewart. BTW, Daniel Day Lewis as a villain is a great call too (probably not Blofeld) IME.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I agree with the first choice of the OP. Gary Oldman can play anything. And why should he be bald? He was bald in YOLT,OHMSS and FYEO. In the other films he was not, nor was he in the books. If not Oldman, then Montgomery Burns.
    RC7 wrote:
    It's a new timeline, so in regard to the earlier comments about SPECTRE, they could just re-introduce Blofeld as the head of Quantum.
    Personally i think Christian Bale would be a great Blofeld. This may be due to the fact that I'd like to hear his actual voice before I die, but my statement stands.
    Or I like the idea of Robert Downey Jr as blofeld

No offence, but I'm glad you're not John Logan. That said, still not as bad as suggesting Patrick Stewart.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Bale is too young looking and too good looking. Anybody has an actor in mind that is not associated to a popular franchise and/or bald?

I still love the idea of Day-Lewis as the OHMSS (Novel) Blofeld.

Bale is a great method actor. That said, my only reason for casting him is to give him just one big role where he uses his normal voice! Downey Jr was a joke.

Too handsome, too young still, too Bond looking and, Blofeld being Polish, if the actor playing him is British or Anglo-Saxon, he'd have good chances to use something else than his natural voice. But I do think there's a strong chance that Blofeld, if he is ever to reappear, will be played by a non native English speaker.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 316
    Ludovico wrote:
    Too handsome, too young still, too Bond looking and, Blofeld being Polish, if the actor playing him is British or Anglo-Saxon, he'd have good chances to use something else than his natural voice. But I do think there's a strong chance that Blofeld, if he is ever to reappear, will be played by a non native English speaker.

You forget Charles Gray's English Blofeld of DAF! Also, my suggestions were only half-serious.

My best choice for Blofeld of the modern age would be Stellan Skarsgard
    StellanSkarsgard.jpg
    I think he's a great actor who has the right level of menace but retains likability. He's also worked with Craig before in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
    I didn't forget Charles Gray, in fact that's why I think they will avoid British actors as villains! I am skeptical about them being cast as villains, mainly because it is so cliche and such a safe bet. I was never convinced by Cumberbatch as Khan.

Oh and good call about Stellan Skarsgard. He's also got a good face to mold, so to speak: it has interesting features and he's not easily recognised.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My choices:

Michael Wincott
    633259-count.jpg

Doug Bradley
    STORE_TEE_LRG.jpg
    Good call on Michael Wincott! Another suggestion-Peter Fonda.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited January 2014 Posts: 152
    David Straitharn palying a well read mercurial Blofeld to challenge Bond mentally. Has so much going behind those eyes, like Dan.
    Simon Russell Beale is playing King Lear right now on stage. Directed by... Sam Mendes. It just struck me that he looks very much like the novel's Blofeld, circa TB.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Patrick Stewart if he hasn't already been mentioned.

And he has been mentioned, I'm still going with Patrick Stewart.
    Stewart is getting old and bald, which would bring unnecessary comparisons to the spoof.
    Anthony Hopkins would nail it.
  • If they don't want Dr. Evil and Austin Powers to become popular again, they might want to consider hiring Mike Meyers. He could use the career boost either way. If they don't hire him, he's got more credibility to re-establish the Austin Powers franchise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If they don't want Dr. Evil and Austin Powers to become popular again, they might want to consider hiring Mike Meyers. He could use the career boost either way. If they don't hire him, he's got more credibility to re-establish the Austin Powers franchise.

You want the man who played Dr. Evil (a spoof of Blofeld) to play Blofeld?

You must be joking.
    Anthony Hopkins would nail it.

Too old now.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    If they don't want Dr. Evil and Austin Powers to become popular again, they might want to consider hiring Mike Meyers. He could use the career boost either way. If they don't hire him, he's got more credibility to re-establish the Austin Powers franchise.

You want the man who played Dr. Evil (a spoof of Blofeld) to play Blofeld?

You must be joking.

No kidding. Ugh.
    Hell, Mike Myers in ANY Bond film sounds like a terrible idea to me.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 107
    Farmers Insurance guy? (J.K Simmons) He was evil in that prison show Oz.

JKSimmons07TIFF_%28cropped%29.jpg
    Why do people always bring up bald actors?
    Ludovico wrote:

Because there's no such thing as shaving an actor's head or applying bald caps, obviously!
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Kevin Spacey would be a good Blofeld IMO. If, of course, he isn't typecast as the villains from films such as
    The Usual Suspects, Se7en
    and Superman Returns
    Bryan Cranston. He could have a henchmen called Vlad (no, not the DAD one!) and then we can see Bond breaking Vlad! I thank you!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Because there's no such thing as shaving an actor's head or applying bald caps, obviously!

I guess my question is: why do people want a bald Blofeld? Because it seems to be what's behind many casting suggestions here: they are looking for a good bald or balding actor, or an actor who had a shaved head in the past. Why? Why, why, why?
    Yes. He is Blofeld. Not Baldfeld.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    I guess my question is: why do people want a bald Blofeld? Because it seems to be what's behind many casting suggestions here: they are looking for a good bald or balding actor, or an actor who had a shaved head in the past. Why? Why, why, why?

It's people who haven't read the novels.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I realise he's known more for his comedy, but comedians can also play straight and dramatic characters. So I'm going to suggest.
    radioreview_1424072c.jpg
    Stephen Fry.

And as we've got some Fry, how about an alternative in...
    1164761-hugh-laurie.jpg
    Hugh Laurie.

As I said comedians can and have made some great dramatic roles. Certainly gets away from the bald, cat stroking chap of old.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    My choices:

Michael Wincott
    633259-count.jpg

That would be awesome. He was amazing as Top Dollar in The Crow.

RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

It's people who haven't read the novels.

I guess so. But not only that would bring the new Blofeld into the spoofed version's territory, it shows superficial understanding of the character.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 172
    Well if the audience were to except an older actor to be Blofeld I'd choose Ian McDiarmid or John Castle.

Ian I know played the Emperor in Star Wars but without the make up even back in the 80s could have been a contender for Blofeld.

Same idea for John Castle but I don't know if he still acts these days.

My only other choice as said many times before is British actor Gareth Marks. I know he'd make a great Blofeld if given the opportunity.

• SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Well if the audience were to except an older actor to be Blofeld I'd choose Ian McDiarmid or John Castle
    What a brilliant pick!