Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    There's talk about the film being set in the 1960s. All things considered, should it not be set in the late 70's, mid at best?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I have a bad feeling about this... Oh wait, that's the wrong one.
    How about... Ford belongs in a museum? I'm sure someone's used that already.
    Seriously, what is the point of this? Didn't we learn our lesson last time? We all thought we wanted another Indy movie until we saw Crystal Skull. I can forgive them for that one. They tried, they failed, let's move on. Now they're really pushing it.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 832
    I don't agree, I think that indy is a very compelling character and think that after how many years since the last successful movie should have a reboot. I would have preferred a soft reboot with a younger actor forgetting about crystal skull and taking place in the 30's again sometime between indy's current 3 movies set during that period, but like not stated exactly when. However if they want to make another with ford so long as he's devoted to the role and gives a similar performance as in the force awakens it could work much better than the crystal skull did. Also didnt spielburg say he would have done another indy with ford? I think one of the reasons crystal skull wasnt that successful was because spielberg didnt really want to do it. If he wants to, he can do indy 5 with ford and then at a later point they can move on with a new actor and director.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The Indy fan in me is immensely excited, while some part of me wishes they'd have stopped after The Last Crusade.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,013
    jake24 wrote: »
    The Indy fan in me is immensely excited, while some part of me wishes they'd have stopped after The Last Crusade.

Yes, I agree 100%

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    there are always more adventures to be had.... i don't subscribe to this elitist way of thinking of "how dare they make another one." - that sort of thinking would've ended the Bond series long ago..... i have absolutely no qualms about an Indy 5 - provided that it sets the series back on course, and doesn't bog itself down with the same crap that bogged down Crystal Skull...

I also believe the series can live beyond Ford.. they can easily recast and set the series back where it belongs - in the 30s/40s, and have Indy fighting Nazis again - and the adventures can continue, without having to worry about rebooting anything.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Indy can't be killed, right? Doesn't he drink the 'elixir of life' in the 3rd film?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Indy can't be killed, right? Doesn't he drink the 'elixir of life' in the 3rd film?

eternal life was only granted if he didn't cross the holy seal on the ground - once he did that, he became mortal again.

a lot of people say 'then shouldn't his father have died then from his wounds?' - no.. the cup healed his wounds, but didn't grant him eternal life unless he drank from it.. which he did.. but like Indy, once he crossed the seal, he was mortal again.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Thanks for the correction, @haserot. :)
    :)>-
    Looking forward to this Harrison Ford vehicle, I loved his recent Han Solo so he gets the benefit of any doubt.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,694
    'Crystal Skull' was quite bad compared to the original 3 films, but I'll gladly take it against other Indy-inspired films of the 2000's like 'The Mummy' or 'National Treasure'. I do enjoy Brendan Fraser as Rick and Nicolas Cage as Gates, but they are no match to the charisma level that Ford can show, even in a film not on par with his best.
    my personal problems with Crystal Skull..

1.) film relies too much on dumb humor........ indy films always had it's share of humor - but like how Lawerence Kasdan said about the "poopy humor" in the star wars prequels vs the humor in the original trilogy - i feel the same about Crystal Skull in regards to the other 3 films... Crystal Skull seemed to pander too much to the lowest common denominator..

2.) too many nostalgia driven callbacks..... what i mean by this, is that this film does so much in trying to pay homage with not-so subtle nods and winks to the other 3 films, that this film never gains a true identity on it's own..

3.) i just couldn't get behind the Russians as a serious threat - not like how the Nazis were.. and it didn't help that at times, it seemed like Indy was more than happy to lend them a hand...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I will be happy if the next is anywhere near as good as KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139
    RC7 wrote: »
    Does this film need to happen? They should've left it as the excellent (seminal in the case of Raiders) trilogy that is was. Indy isn't Bond, it doesn't have the scope, it's intrinsically tied to Ford and is it's era specific. With every film they'll diminish the legend.

This.

As much as I love Indy, they just left things too late. It was bad enough KoTcS came out so long after TlC but this is just frustrating. They should leave it alone. Period. However, Hollywood being Hollywood there's a quick buck to be made and although I'm not the biggest fan of rebooting things but I think I'd rather have Indy rebooted with different adventures than to see a 76 year old Ford poncing about in his iconic getup.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I have no problem with more Indy's ...not like the original films were any type of story arc.. (pun intended).

I'd rather have something better more fresh than CS and casting Ford isn't really necessary.

Besides they'll have to poke out his eye for continuity.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited March 2016 Posts: 754
    I love Indiana Jones, so I can't help but be excited... cautious, nervous, sure. Just like for Force Awakens. The focus of how they do it will be everything obviously. Indiana Jones is based on action serials. At least that was its original intent and execution in Raiders and Temple of Doom. Action set pieces, one after the other, played straight with humorous moments. Crusade and Skull mostly play everything for laughs and have all those painful family story lines that no one actually cares about.

I find it very interesting that Spielberg is doing this. It makes one wonder about his feelings about working with George. They're friends, he loves him, he helped make these movies, but there was always a reluctance on his part to go back to them and now, he's back! I think we can all agree that no Lucas will help and they can learn from Skull the way they learned from the Prequels.

My main concern is Disney wanting to make it an ongoing franchise and how do you do that without replacing Ford. They can't do Mutt. They can't do some other Junior character, so how do you pass the baton. All I really want is a great scripted movie with great action set pieces, with Ford front and center, one last time and then ride it all off into the sunset.

If Spielberg and Ford can make up for the abomination that was Crystal Skull then I'm all for it. And without Lucas's involvment I hope that's what they can do. It was a real thrill to see Ford back in action in Star Wars Vlll and I see no reason why he can't play an older, wiser Indy. Just please, PLEASE no lousy CGI.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I hear that there is supposed to be an Uncharted movie coming out in 2017. Maybe that can take the place of Indie in the adventure genre.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @BMW_with_missiles, highly doubtful, considering it'd be a game-to-film adaptation.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jake24 wrote: »

Agree with this.

Really can't see how any of the action can be credible given Harrison's age. We really don't want to see a repeat of the risible OAP warehouse fight from AVTAK do we?

Just have to hope that Spielberg is intelligent enough to realise this and comes up with an original idea on where to take the character (and that had better not mean Mutt tagging along to do all the action).
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BMW_with_missiles, highly doubtful, considering it'd be a game-to-film adaptation.

Yeah. If it is any good, it would be a first.
    I have ZERO interest in Mutt. Send his ass to Vietnam for Indy 5
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I have ZERO interest in Mutt. Send his ass to Vietnam for Indy 5
    Or just have a casual mention that he's in some random country studying or died in a vine swinging accident. =))

Here is a pretty good list; most suggestions, such as a great script, are obvious but are they achievable?

http://screenrant.com/indiana-jones-5-things-want-to-see/
    That is a great list indeed talos7! If they can manage to pull together all of that, then we've got ourselves a movie!

I wonder, is 'old Indy' from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles still canon? It's fishy that he was removed from all the DVD releases. It would be cool to see Harrison lose an eye to transition into this:

Old_Indiana_Jones_by_George_Hall.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The tv series was referenced in Crystal Skull, so I guess it is/was canon, but I wish Disney ignores it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well, I'LL see it! :)>-
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Young Indy belongs to the category of "why in God's name was it ever allowed to produce that let alone show it to the public, were they crazy or what"
    I liked the series.....In other news

http://screenrant.com/indiana-jones-5-writer-david-koepp/