Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    GoTG is perfect and Chris Pratt was fantastic in it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sark wrote: »
    GoTG is perfect and Chris Pratt was fantastic in it.
    If you had to pick one, should he take over the Indiana Jones role, or be young Han Solo in the 2017 film?
    Indiana Jones and Hans Solo have a lot of overlap as characters due to Ford. I like Indy more than Star Wars, so Indy.
    I would pick HS, as I would rather have Ford back as Indiana Jones. He has proven he can still do it with TFA.
    TFA hasn't opened here yet, but I find it hard to believe that a 73 year old Ford can do that much more than a 57 year old Moore did.
    Spielberg has hinted that as long as he directs, Ford will be Indy. Who knows what will happen. Looks like they both will return, or they will both be replaced.

Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed there will be more IJ films, regardless.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Rumor was that Indy was part of the deal for Ford to come back as Han Solo.
    Disney bought IJ, so that's a done deal and now Iger can rest easier knowing Ford still has draw.
    Producer Marshall said no one else will be Indy, but that they have to think carefully about it... Which means they will attempt to introduce a new character that is as good and can carry on the torch... that's a lot to ask of writers and actors right there.
    I hope Spielberg just produces, I don't want him directing another "action comedy"with family ties. Get someone younger and more interested in making a great suspense action film with no family stories.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,965
    Im sorry but Indiana Jones is not James Bond where you can get a new Actor when the current actor gets too old to play the part. Harrison Ford is IJ. Once Harrison is done with IJ then the IJ series should end.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Im sorry about Indiana Jones is not James Bond where you can get a new Actor when the current actor gets too old to play the part. Harrison Ford is IJ. Once Harrison is done with IJ then the IJ series should end.

Post of the century. ^:)^
    He did an Empire interview related to SW, where the question came up. It doesn t say that he will himself be back, but I wouldn t mind.

Regardless, great news indeed. One of the most iconic characters of our lifetime.

Harrison was on the Jonathan Ross Show over Christmas and was asked about Indy 5. His response was that they had 2 ideas they'd been working together on with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, and that they were coming together nicely, so it seemed likely there would be a new Indy movie announced pretty soon.
    Im sorry about Indiana Jones is not James Bond where you can get a new Actor when the current actor gets too old to play the part. Harrison Ford is IJ. Once Harrison is done with IJ then the IJ series should end.

I am sure those sentiments were around when Sean Connery decided to call it a day on a 5 movie series. Aren't you glad those folks were wrong?

SaintMark wrote: »

I am sure those sentiments were around when Sean Connery decided to call it a day on a 5 movie series. Aren't you glad those folks were wrong?

Completely different situation. Connery had been Bond for less than 7 years when he was replaced, and anyway, Bond was born without a specific face, being a book character.
    Harrison Ford, on the other hand, has been Indiana Jones for 30+ years and since the first movie came out, everyone identifies Indy with Ford.
    If the script is currently written, then they definitely know already if the role is recast with a younger Indy back in the 20s, 30s, 40s-or if we shall have an older Indy, film probably set in the 60s or 70s.

Walecs wrote: »

Completely different situation. Connery had been Bond for less than 7 years when he was replaced, and anyway, Bond was born without a specific face, being a book character.
    Harrison Ford, on the other hand, has been Indiana Jones for 30+ years and since the first movie came out, everyone identifies Indy with Ford.

I guess you never watched the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles in which Indy was already played by various actors. I quite enjoyed them.
    I agree it would have to be a reboot. Cast new actor as Jones and set it in the 1930's. But what kind of plot? Can't keep fighting Nazis. go to some Asian or African country, Spielberg tried that with "Temple of Doom" and just got a bunch of critics crying racism.

What would you do?
    Walecs wrote: »

I guess you never watched the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles in which Indy was already played by various actors. I quite enjoyed them.

I tried, but I couldn't watch it without Ford, sorry.

Difference is the James Bond film series wasn't even 10 years old when they got a new actor to play Bond. Indiana Jones is a 35 year old film series with the same guy in the role for 35 years

Difference is the James Bond film series wasn't even 10 years old when they got a new actor to play Bond. Indiana Jones is a 35 year old film series with the same guy in the role for 35 years

There is always a difference, but does it really matter. In the movie industry so many stories have been done more than once and parts have been played by various actors in more or less succes.
    Lucas has sold Indy Jones to Disney so you can bet that there will be a new Indiana Jones sooner than later. And if they come with an entertaining movie like TFA with a new indy then I am game because Indiana Jones is nothing more than pure entertainment for the masses.

Love Ford as Indy, but Pratt i do believe would make a great replacement should Disney decide to recast?
  • Here's an out-of-left-field idea:

Disney obviously needs SOME way to get the Fantastic Four film rights out of the hands of Fox, who has NO idea what to do with the property. What if Disney believes that Indy is a series with a strong name recognition factor but limited potential as Harrison Ford gets older & older ... and purchased the Indiana Jones rights solely as a bargaining chip to use to wrench back the cinematic rights to Marvel's First Family?
  • Here's some perspective. Not saying Ford should return or not- I'm still on the fence myself. And I know he's still tough as nails, but consider this:

Actor George Hall was 76 when he played Old Indiana Jones on TV back in 1992. Harrison Ford is 73 and plans to play Indiana Jones in Indy 5.

12540866_1082016141831674_7764239765631994951_n.jpg?oh=de183176ab7526c8da50b232753328ed&oe=573BF29F

Does this change anyone's mind?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Master_Dahark if Harrison is as joyful as he was in TFA, wouldn't you want him to do a final Indy film?
    You didnt ask me, but no. He couldn't do more than lightly jog in TFA. I want an Indy who can do the truck scene from Raiders again.
    Sark wrote: »
    You didnt ask me, but no. He couldn't do more than lightly jog in TFA. I want an Indy who can do the truck scene from Raiders again.

Indy gets stuck beneath his own walker,
    "Stairs. Why did it have to be stairs?"
    Ha ha! I really want this film to happen now.
    I have said it before I will say it again have Dr Jones Search for the Garden of Eden and in all honesty have the film set in two time periods

Here is my idea

the film opens in the 1930's in China Dr Jones (Chris Pratt) is on the quest looking for the white pyramid of China we are at the end of his quest as he find it but Chinese gangsters have a rival Archeologist Dr Sam Von Hammerstien ( played by Benedict Cumberbauch because why not) anyways they both find the pyridmad at the same time but a fight breaks out both indy and Dr Von Hammerstien escape. Cut to 1962 and Dr Jones (Harrison ford) Waking up as if out of a nightmare he meets with his collegue Dr Michael Smith (played brilliantly by Timothy Dalton also I am horrible with coming up with names so sue me) and his assitent/daughter Sara (Played by the go to hot girl that older men can date the girl played Xenia Onatopp Famke Jessen I think is the spelling I am also at work and IMDB is blocked so..) Micheal complains the glory days of Archeology are behind them and now it's all arm chair theories and book reading (a sentiment I actually share now) and that everyone in academia believes the great lie "there is nothing more to find." Indy Worries they may be right. we cut to a Soviet prison where we see a man hooded being dragged to an integration room the hood is removed to reveal Dr Von Hammerstien who hasn't aged since the 1930's. We meet a soviet captain who basically demands why Dr Von Hammerstien hasn't found it yet. he begs for more time and then points out that no matter what they can't kill him anyways. Dr. V says the best option is to get Dr. Jones he will find it. Flashback to 1930 Dr. Jones is meeting with Dr. Michael Smith ( played by Jason Issac as he looks like a younger timothy Dalton) and US Captains they want him to find Noah's ark as apparently Noah had a navigational tool given to him by God the Nazis want it. Dr Jones jokes the ark's location is the worst kept secret in archeology and that finding it should be a breeze

that is what I have so far basically the two stories connect with Old Indy finding the Garden of Eden and basically never leaving.
    I'm of two minds about a new Indie movie and a recast however IF they go for a recast how about Anthony Ingruber as Indie? He played the young Harrison Ford character in The Age of Adaline (not a great movie btw) and his resemblance with Ford is uncanny.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm of two minds about a new Indie movie and a recast however IF they go for a recast how about Anthony Ingruber as Indie? He played the young Harrison Ford character in The Age of Adaline (not a great movie btw) and his resemblance with Ford is uncanny.

I'm hoping he gets cast in the Young Han Solo movie coming out soon. For Indy, I'd really love to see Karl Urban in the role as Indy in his Prime.
    He is still a bit young for Indie. Unless it's set when Indie was earning his PhD.