Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

I haven’t seen that movie, but I have seen Anthony Ingruber’s homemade video that went viral, where he does indeed do a spot on impression of Harrison Ford.
    However, I’m not so sure I’d want him as Indy. Reason being, sure he can do an impression of someone, line for line, but can he act?

Look at Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. To prepare for the role he did look at footage of Alec Guinness for inspiration, but he wasn’t doing an ‘Alec Guinness impersonation’ he was playing Obi-Wan!! He made the role his own and he’s actually one of the few good things about the prequels.

If we’re talking about someone to carry a whole movie, then I’d much rather have a good established actor, rather than someone whose only claim to fame is a YouTube video of him copying Han Solo’s lines verbatim, lol
    Not having seen Age of Adaline, can anyone confirm if the dude can act? Or is he just a dude who happens to resemble young Harrison Ford?
    I dont think disney should contine with ford. Recast and do a soft reboot type. Pratt might be a good idea. I would be open to having a scene or two with ford as an older indy
    @Master_Dahak I agree a lookalike who can imitate does not guarantee acting chops to go with it. He did well in Age of Adaline but had little to do so I can't say if he can carry a movie.

I disagree about Ewan McGregor. The only thing he had of Obi Wan Kenobi was his face. He was a terrible Obi Wan.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I propose Chris Pratt as the new Indy directed by JJ Abrams.
    I propose Chris Pratt as the new Indy directed by JJ Abrams.

Sounds good! Maybe even ford in a few scenes
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Make it Karl Urban and the deal is sealed.
    Murdock wrote: »

Sorry, he is on a five year mission on the Enterprise.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Sorry, he is on a five year mission on the Enterprise.
    And Pratt is hunting dinosaurs or taking care of them in JW2. :P

I think Karl Urban would make a better Indy. He can balance serious, light comedic and charming with ease. Pratt is always to jokey for my tastes.
    The thing with Indiana Jones is that he is both an adventurer and an intellectual, an academic even. It looks like nothing, but that makes him a far more complex and challenging character than one may see at first. Something Harrison Ford pulled convincingly, but not sure many actors can now. It's not only about cracking the whip, it's about using a chalk board convincingly and with ease.
    Pratt and Urban are both great choices! Think i would go with Pratt out the two of them.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139
    I don't know how I feel about that...2019? Ford back in the role? Hmmm
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, beat me to it. Still a long ways out and I fear Ford may be too old for the role. Still, I'll see it, simply because I love the character and there's absolutely no way the movie can be any worse than 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.' There's just no way, right? Right????
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,113
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Damn, beat me to it. Still a long ways out and I fear Ford may be too old for the role. Still, I'll see it, simply because I love the character and there's absolutely no way the movie can be any worse than 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.' There's just no way, right? Right????

Maybe It's a 'pass the torch' movie. Indie is kidnapped, and another young adventurer has to save him. That could be good.
    Shrugs I am hoping it is a good film.

I wonder what the quest will be in terms of lost mythical items where do you go from Aliens and crystal skulls.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    shhh. everyone keep quiet; maybe this can get done without George Lucas knowing.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I wonder what the quest will be in terms of lost mythical items where do you go from Aliens and crystal skulls.
    Perhaps the Fountain of Youth and at the end a CGI young Ford will emerge, like Arnold in Terminator Genisys! Then 'young Indy' can have all new adventures throughout the 60's & 70's! ;) Only kidding of course!

But in all seriousness I am glad they're planning this before 2022 when Ford will be fucking eighty! Why not have Connery back as Bond while we're at it! ;)
    I will hope this new adventure will be more grounded, and more character driven instead of over the top action. The days of hand-to-hand against multiple opponents are over, if they want to be taken seriously! But by all means Indy can certainly shoot some people!!! Something sorely absent from Crystal Skull!

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm struggling to summon up much enthusiasm for this.

Ford looked what he is in TFA - an old man. People complain about unconvincing action in AVTAK but if this is a standard Indy film I really don't see how Harrison can do it.

Hopefully Spielberg will prove us wrong as I'm sure he doesn't want the series to end with the lamentable KOTCS but the jury is not so much out more they have left the building on this one.

Am I right in thinking that Disney have done the same deal as with Star Wars so that George has no input? At least that's one thing going in its favour.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,113
    fucking

I always thought Indie worked as a older guy, investigating tombs and such. Hardily the passions of a young man.
    Indeed, Indy 5 without Lucas doesn't sound so bad!
    To a point, Indiana Jones doesn't necessarily have to be as old as Ford is. Indy was born July 1st 1899, which means even though Ford was 65 when Crystal Skull came out, 'Indy' was only 56-57.
    I'm not saying he should be running around like a 20 year old in the next movie, but there is still a bit of wiggle room.

This movie has potential to be a better final film than Crystal Skull at any rate
  • RC7RC7
    Does this film need to happen? They should've left it as the excellent (seminal in the case of Raiders) trilogy that is was. Indy isn't Bond, it doesn't have the scope, it's intrinsically tied to Ford and is it's era specific. With every film they'll diminish the legend.
    So who's doing it? JJ Abrams?? :))
    Crystal skull was appalling. Very little enthusiasm for this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Terrific news!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Indianna Jones finishes for me when Indy, Henry, Brody & Sallah all ride off into the sunset.

I can't believe some say they prefer Crystal Skull to Temple of Doom or Last Crusade.

Although some deluded types were saying that the prequels were better than TFA so who knows what some of you have been smoking.

Raiders is a masterpiece, Temple & Crusade are entertaining films, Crystal is an abomination.

The idea of more films with Spielberg or not whether Lucas isn't involved is not very encouraging. Ford is far too old, passing the torch or not.

If they are going to do this they need to reboot not hang onto it's star, the Terminator franchise seems to make the same mistake, if they want to move on they need to drop Arnie and now it seems the Predator series can't live without him as well.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,983
    I have mixed feelings about this; in the end, as with any movie, it boils down to, "if they have a great script....."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They will probably kill him off.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Hmmm, I've got mixed feeling for this. KOTCS was a movie I'd rather forget. I'd rather they'd stuck to the Indy trilogy and leave it at that. But any man who grew up with Indy would've been happy to hear there was going to be an Indy 4, and so was I.
    Maybe (and this is a long shot) they can redeem the mess that KOTCS was. Or they'll ruin it all, leaving three out of five films watchable.
    With Harrison Ford in his seventies now (he'll be 77 come 2019) you'd have to think he'll take the backseat role to a younger supporting character. (Not Shia LeBeouf) Or we're going to have a lot of CGI Indy.
    Not excited, but I'll be sure to go see it.
    The fact Disney now owns the rights can only mean one thing... [-(
    While I'm happy there will be a 5th movie Harrison is going be pushing 80 by then