Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    I find it particularly interesting that, here on a James Bond website, we have so many people staunchly opposed to the series without its original actor. Six actors have played James Bond so far, and I for one am VERY glad they didn't stop after Connery.
    Abundantly agreed! Like Bond, Indy must go on!

Agreed

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    George lazenby needs the work
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

If they recast Indy, maybe Lazenby can be the new Jones Snr. Add Dalton as the baddie, and they can take all my money right now!

Dalton and lazenby should have done a buddy movie in the 90s. The Shakespearean actor and the poon hound. No idea of the plot. Oh, back to Indy. 1940s, Japan would be good
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    With "The last Crusade" they've already done an film that feature two actors playing Indie; I wouldn't mind seeing a film where we see a story that bridges two time periods, the early 30's and early 60's. It would feature Ford and Pratt in the role. This would set up solo (no pun intended) films, set in the more romantic time period of the 30's, with Pratt. having Spielberg direct would be the icing on the cake; IF, and it's a big if, he can return the series to it's serial roots and make it true to the original three.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If they want inspiration, go back to Carl Barks. The boulder scene at the start of ROTLA was taken from a story featuring Uncle Scrooge in the seven cities of Cibola.
    Heard Chris Platts name a lot but never seen him in anything but I googled him and tbf tbh he doesn't look manly enough to play BOND Or Indy. What about Idris Elba ehe ;)

It wouldn't work as they need a real actor!
    Well maybe he can stand in for a piece of cardboard. They used it for roger Moore once and no one knew any different until they talked about it on the dvd
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2015 Posts: 7,314
    talos7 wrote: »
    With "The last Crusade" they've already done an film that feature two actors playing Indie; I wouldn't mind seeing a film where we see a story that bridges two time periods, the early 30's and early 60's. It would feature Ford and Pratt in the role. This would set up solo (no pun intended) films, set in the more romantic time period of the 30's, with Pratt. having Spielberg direct would be the icing on the cake; IF, and it's a big if, he can return the series to it's serial roots and make it true to the original three.
    With all due respect to Mr. Ford, I don't think we need to see him don the fedora ever again. Seriously, what would the proposed 60's timeline look like? Everyone gather around and listen to Grandpa Indy tell stories of his glory days. Cut to Pratt back in the 30's with an overdose of nostalgic references. It's possible that this dual timeline could work with a very clever script. Weaving back and forth between two different tales until they intertwine. It just doesn't seem likely.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah I don't see the point in doing a film with an old and new Indy. It just restricts them (if Ford played old Indy in the same film then the new actor would clearly be the same character from previous films rather than a new take on the character and the actor would have to more or less copy Harrison Ford which I don't think would work, what we need is a Roger Moore type, someone to create their own interpretation of the role, rather than somebody copying Harrison Ford).

I also don't see where they could go with another film with Ford being the only actor in the role. I mean the originals had the whole adventure serial aspect then Crystal Skull played on the whole 50s sci fi B movie vibe. What could they do for a 60s set film?

And as much as people like to hate on Crystal Skull, I thought that they gave Harrison Ford's Indy pretty much a perfect send off (well not as perfect as the one in The Last Crusade but as perfect as they could with a fourth film). Dean of the college he'd been teaching in for years, happily married with a kid to the girl from the first movie. Don't see the point in bringing him back after that.

Has it been confirmed that Chris Pratt is playing the role? Because after googling him and watching trailers of stuff he's done, I don't think he really fits it. I don't think he seems rugged or badass enough. Indiana Jones is an everyman sorta hero sure but Pratt to me just seems more like a plucky roguish comedic sorta action hero, don't think he'd really convey the sense that Indy is an archeologist with years of experience.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Watch Guardians-of-the-Galaxy his role is pretty much Han Solo. Pratt is great on screen he can be multi layered angry, serious and funny he is the ideal man for Indy and the man Spielberg wants. I can't think of a better candidate. Problem with Urban is he's already Judge Dredd and Dr McCoy in the Star Trek Reboot. As for bad guys I would like to see Sharlto Copley as basically a like for like action Dr of arciology in a race with Indy for whatever item he is tracking down Copley is fantastic in another thought he has the Chizle chin if he could improve in his accent may even make a good Indy

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sharlto+copley&biw=360&bih=615&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yVRPVb_cN9SN7Aa-5YGAAQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=Fn6Sjd13oA_4iM%3A;BaJJA_8E9rtEHM;http%3A%2F%2Fspinoff.comicbookresources.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Fsharlto-copley.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fspinoff.comicbookresources.com%2F2013%2F05%2F01%2Fsharlto-copley-and-neill-blomkamp-reteam-in-sci-fi-comedy-chappie%2F;399;594
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I prefer a British Bond and an American Indy.
    Watch Guardians-of-the-Galaxy his role is pretty much Han Solo. Pratt is great on screen he can be multi layered angry, serious and funny he is the ideal man for Indy and the man Spielberg wants. I can't think of a better candidate. Problem with Urban is he's already Judge Dredd and Dr McCoy in the Star Trek Reboot. As for bad guys I would like to see Sharlto Copley as basically a like for like action Dr of arciology in a race with Indy for whatever item he is tracking down Copley is fantastic in another thought he has the Chizle chin if he could improve in his accent may even make a good Indy

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sharlto+copley&biw=360&bih=615&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yVRPVb_cN9SN7Aa-5YGAAQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=Fn6Sjd13oA_4iM%3A;BaJJA_8E9rtEHM;http%3A%2F%2Fspinoff.comicbookresources.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Fsharlto-copley.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fspinoff.comicbookresources.com%2F2013%2F05%2F01%2Fsharlto-copley-and-neill-blomkamp-reteam-in-sci-fi-comedy-chappie%2F;399;594
    Karl Urban always looks so different in his roles, nobody would realise it's the guy who played McCoy. Dredd he anyhow played just once, and it's not very probable there will be a sequel, not to mention he wore a helmet all the time.

Problem with Urban is he's already Judge Dredd and Dr McCoy in the Star Trek Reboot.

Well I think by that logic Chris Pratt is more of a problem than Urban. I loved, loved, loved Dredd and Urban was perfect in the role but the film (sadly) bombed, and you never even saw his face for the whole film, so it's not like audiences would just associate him with Dredd if he played Indy. And, correct me if I'm wrong (haven't seen them) but he's more of a supporting character in Star Trek, right? Thought Chris Pine and the other guy were the leads.

Chris Pratt meanwhile is already the lead in Guardians Of The Galaxy, a big Marvel franchise, and he's the main character in the new Jurassic Park film which is likely to spawn sequels. Think this is irrelevant anyway, Harrison Ford had already done Star Wars when he made Raiders so it's not like an actor being in two big franchises at a time is unheard of.

Like I said, Colin Farrell would be my choice. Karl Urban could be good. Pratt, I'm still unconvinced.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,690
    What about Nathan Filion (Castle) as Indy?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    What about Nathan Filion (Castle) as Indy?

castle_s02e19_nathan_fillion.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Fillion would have worked 10/15 years ago.
    Problem with Urban is he's already Judge Dredd and Dr McCoy in the Star Trek Reboot.

Well I think by that logic Chris Pratt is more of a problem than Urban. I loved, loved, loved Dredd and Urban was perfect in the role but the film (sadly) bombed, and you never even saw his face for the whole film, so it's not like audiences would just associate him with Dredd if he played Indy. And, correct me if I'm wrong (haven't seen them) but he's more of a supporting character in Star Trek, right? Thought Chris Pine and the other guy were the leads.

Chris Pratt meanwhile is already the lead in Guardians Of The Galaxy, a big Marvel franchise, and he's the main character in the new Jurassic Park film which is likely to spawn sequels. Think this is irrelevant anyway, Harrison Ford had already done Star Wars when he made Raiders so it's not like an actor being in two big franchises at a time is unheard of.

Like I said, Colin Farrell would be my choice. Karl Urban could be good. Pratt, I'm still unconvinced.

More from Urbans point of view, as an actor does he want to be tagged as Mr Reboot. Dredd, Bones and then Indy. I dont think taking on a 3rd charachter reboot is something he or Disney would consider. As for Pratt he is playing roles not done before thats the difference. Ford was 37 when he took on the role. Urban is 43 Pratt is 36.

If they are going to reboot, they are going to be looking at atleat a new Triology. With the rights now held by Disney, probably an Indy movie every 1 to 2 years. And Knowing Disney they will porbably want 5 films over 12 years if the reboot takes off.

Therefore I can see why Pratt is a more attractive prospect than Urban. Urban has also commented recently on how the Dredd 2 script is coming along and that Star Trek 3 going in to production in 2016. Say they cast Urban, Indy arrvies Next December 2016 you would have a scenario where He's Bones, Dredd and Indy in cinema releases one after the other. Cant see it. He would have been good. But if I was the casting director I would be making my approach to Pratt.
    Although I am not a huge fan, on screen as the charachter with the rom comedy aspect you got with Indy Bradley Cooper could make a good Indy. I quite liked him as Face in the A Team.

fjqdjo.jpg
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    After seeing Pratt in Jurassic World I really really want to see him donning the leather jacket and whip. Even more so than after \Guardians.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Filling the role of Indy is a harder job than a new actor taking over Bond. I love Pratt but he would by far make a better Nathan Drake from Unchartered.
    Paramount has sold Indiana Jones.
    Paramount has sold Iron Man.
    Paramount is not smart.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'd rather have Cooper than Pratt, but I'd rather have no one.
    Paramount should sell Star Trek. They've never known how to use it effectively
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't see Urban. Pratt is ok ..not the screen presense of Ford but did fine in JW. Kinda sad really ...he was one of the better actors in JW ...the dinosaurs where more real than most of the acting in World ..sad. still liked the film though.
    Paramount should sell Star Trek. They've never known how to use it effectively

Oooowh, I wholeheartedly AGREE with you on this one!

Pratt could be a good choice! I enjoyed him in GOTG! Going to see Jurassic World on Sunday so will assess again in a few days time?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    When I saw JW all I could think of is that Pratt is a shoo-in for Indy.....as much of a shoo-in as Brosnan was pre-GE for Bond. The glove fits imho.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Maybe too tall and bit gangly for the role but what about Timothy Olyphant?

His Raylen Givens in the terrific recently ended Justified showed a side that his previous output never did.

I don't know I could see him under that fedora, he's got that charm that Ford had. Although maybe he's a better choice if they ever rebooted Dirty Harry, he certainly gives off a Clint like swagger in Justified.