Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RogueAgent wrote:
    It's a bit belated, but today would of been -

Tony Curtis - accomplished actor that featured in releases such as Spartacus, The Boston Strangler and Some Like It Hot - died today in 2010 (age 85 years)

Lois Maxwell - needs no introduction. Best damn Moneypenny ever and a mainstay of the franchise up until her retirement in 1985 - died today in 2007 (aged 80 years)

RIP to both

Seconded my friend! RIP

Let me add a third.

I remember reading Lois Maxwell's Obituary in The Times back in October 2007, something I believe that Bob Hope did too when he looked to see if his own obituary had been published while he was still alive!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2013 Posts: 4,444
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow. I'm ashamed to say I've never read Clancy's novels - I've heard they're a real treat - but after playing a lot of the video games tied to his name, I can only assume he was one hell of a writer. RIP, Tom, and thank you for the wonderful work you gave to the world.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Tom Clancy has died? He was only 66 too. Sad news to spy novel fans everywhere.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Tom Clancy dead? What a shock. I have never read any of his books, but he has left a big impact on the spy genre at large and has a massive fan-base as well.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The Hunt for Red October was the only book of Tom Clancy's that I've finished all the way, but I own and have read a great many of his books, and The Sum of All Fears is one of my absolute favorite movies. I was hoping I'd actually get to meet the man one day, when I take my trip to visit all my favorite authors.
    RIP Tom Clancy

I did read his early books and then our tastes parted ways. But he was a great technothriller writer.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    A big shock this. RIP Mr. Clancy, far too young to die.
    Very sad news about Tom Clancy! Thoughts and condolences to his family and friends. He left us all with some outstanding work! RIP
    RIP Tom Clancy. Very sad news..
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Famous sociologist and political scientist Juan J. Linz died.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Wasn't the biggest fan of some of his books but he was a talented writer and he gave us Jack Ryan, that alone is a good reason to remember him. RIP.
    0013 wrote:

Never mind that. No even my students knew who he was... to my disappointment.
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Never mind that. No even my students knew who he was... to my disappointment.

No worries, I looked into him. I'm a huge fan of psychology and sociology. At least he lived a good many years. I'm going to have to check out some of his work soon.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,817
    I'm glad you got interested @Creasy47. His work is very unique and original, rich in history analysis and sociological concepts. He established many categories used widely today: sultanistic regimes, democratic consolidation, and the distintion between totalitarism and authoritarism, among others.

• Now October 10 is upon us -

Christopher Reeve - died today in 2004, some years after the terrible horse-riding accident. The legend lives on - RIP

Orson Welles - The Third Man, Citizen Kane etc - needs no introduction - died today in 1985. An actor of great caliber - RIP

Yul; Brynner - One of the magnificent Seven, and a magnificent actor with it. Died today in 1985 - RIP

Jack Daniel - everyone's tried the liquor. One of Tennessee's finest names - died today in 1911. RIP
    @0013, I was looking into his work that spoke of the difference between totalitarianism and authoritarianism. He seemed to be a man of great knowledge who lived a long life, may he RIP.

@Baltimore_007, I had no idea both Orson and Yul died on the same day almost 30 years ago. What a horrible day that must have been.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2013 Posts: 16,331
    James Kelly Kerns (1960-2013)
    The greatest man I could ever know and my dad. He taught me everything I know and Inspired me to make and do great things. Sadly taken away in his prime from lung cancer, But at least he died a painless death in his sleep. He was a hard worker and devoted his life to his family and friends. He was a larger than life showman and story teller. Rest in peace Dad. You'll always be my best buddy in the whole wide world, I love you very much. @};-
    1395842_580307688673853_879305588_n.jpg
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,474
    @Murdock, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, nor can I come up with the words to express how terribly sorry I am to hear of his passing. If you need to talk, get anything off your shoulders, etc., I'm just a click away.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, nor can I come up with the words to express how terribly sorry I am to hear of his passing. If you need to talk, get anything off your shoulders, etc., I'm just a click away.

Thank you @Creasy47. It is very hard for me right now. But I'm thankful his passing was peaceful and knowing he's in a better place helps ease my pain. I normally try not to get too personal about things like this, but I wanted everyone to know about what a great man my father was.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Every time I see this thread pop up onto the first page, I get a lump in my throat, worried about what sad news will meet me when I click on the link. Needless to say, tonight was one of those times where it hurt the most. @Murdock, I'm more than a bit speechless right now, but my thoughts mirror @Creasy's. We are all here for you, no matter what, and if you ever need to talk, feel free to send a PM. You and your family are in my thoughts, and I hope your father rests in peace.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's how I feel: it's never a good thread to enter, and when it's the passing of someone who hits close to home to a good member of the forums, it's even worse. I, too, know your father is in a painless place right now, and it's good to know things were easy on him at the end. That's all anyone can ask when it comes to a passing.
    @Murdock I'm very shocked and I feel very sorry for you. My sincere condolences to you are your family.
    Thank you everyone. Your support is very helpful and warms my heart.
    Very sorry to hear that. Losing a parent is extremely difficult and painful. My prayers are for your family's comfort at this time.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    So so sorry to hear the news @Murdock. I can't for one moment even attempt to imagine what you and you're family are going through. You'll always have the continued support from all of us here in the community. My sincerest condolences.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Very sorry to hear this, @Murdock. You and your family have my deepest condolences. Like @0Brady said, if you ever need someone to talk to, you know you have many friends here.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Murdock, thank you for sharing your dad with us. Feel free to share more as time passes. It may be healing for you. I wish you peace in your heart.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'm very sorry to hear this @Murdock. That's the one thing about cancer: it doesn't disseminate. I know what you're going through, the same thing happened to my Mum. I'm sure you and you're family will feel better as each day passes. Stay strong. We're all here for you, if you need us. :)
  • Just know that we're all here for your @Murdock if you ever need our support. You, your father, and your whole family will be in my prayers.