Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

I really don't believe this film will stand the test of time

I don't think any film that relies this heavily on CGI will stand the test of time.

BAIN123 wrote:
    Personally I doubt it will go down as a classic and suspect it will be regarded in a slightly similar way to Returns.

Returns at least had Kevin Spacey having fun as Lex Luthor.
    Agree 100%. I also think this film may perform at the BO the same way QoS did - front loaded, big opening first weekend due to high expectation and hype, and then a big drop-off because of word-of-mouth and poor reviews.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote:
    Then the big one. Jor-El harps on about how Kal-El shouldn't interfere with human history and how it's imperative blah blah blah and what happens?? Superman goes against what he's been told by flying super fast, reversing the earth's spin to, altering time and history
    Saving one person's life alters history? She JUST DIED, no history coming from her death had been created yet...
    doubleoego wrote:
    Not only was there no consequence for superman to break the rule but there should have been 2 supermen flying about considering the time and location as to how far back I'm time superman took things.
    Dude, he didn't travel to the past, he forced a 10 minute reversal of time ON EARTH. He was outside of the temporal event.

Sorry, I'm afraid you fail Fictional Temporal Mechanics 101.
    b-(
  • I really don't believe this film will stand the test of time

I don't think any film that relies this heavily on CGI will stand the test of time.

So Skyfall will be buggered then.

My fanboy mates were gutted watching MoS. they all realised they miss CReeve.

Personally, I think they should get girlfriends and have relations. I told them to grow up and said it was only a movie.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837

Skyfall has some naff CGI but it doesn't rely on it. Most of the action was done with practical effects.

Skyfall has some naff CGI but it doesn't rely on it. Most of the action was done with practical effects.
    Exactly! Since when did SF suddenly become renowned for being an OTT CGI action fest? If anything it is the opposite.

• @Dalton12 I know it's minor, but I'm thinking that should probably be spoiler tagged, just in case. Just my thoughts.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,107
    So Just How Much Would All That Destruction In MAN OF STEEL To Metropolis Cost?
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LEVITIKUZsLOUNGE/news/?a=81769#HvrmVyALQHtRSeQc.99

enhanced-buzz-21459-1371498261-20.jpg
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Some counter thoughts to the MAN OF STEEL backlash from a Bond fan, cum Superman man fan...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=576

Just saw it for the second time- only this time I brought my dad and friend from college. They both loved it!

I have to show you something funny- my brother, who lives in NY hated it it (normally we love the same movies; he's a longtime Bond fan like myself) and made this sarcastic post on facebook. I'm never too shy to tell him how I feel :))

facebook_zps76b2ff2f.jpg

*For the record, he's the one who liked my post at the bottom- we always talk to each other like that, lol
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    5 stars out of 5

I thoroughly enjoyed this epic big-budget presentation in glorious 3d, but I am kicking myself for not booking the utraAVX 3d screening, as it would have been even better.
    Double plus awesome. Perfectly cast, top to bottom. The final battle between Supes and Zod made maximum use of the movie tech. Very realistic. Superman looked great, so did Lois, so did Zod's female sidekick, whoever she was.
    I could of sat forever watching this spectacular movie. As it was, it was a nice stretched out length of almost 2 and a half hours.
    Amazing how Reeve, Routh and Cavill all play movie-Superman exactly the same way. They all play him as gee-shucks, nice guy.
    Get working on the next one, DC!
    In the meantime, I eagerly await the Wolverine, but this time I'm making sure to catch the full ultraAVX 3d presentation.
    No point in skimping on these big-budget comic book showings. The money is all up on the screen.

Oh yes, and the last hour or so, was much like the last hour of the last Transformers film, but without that ridiculous super-scrawny underwear model running about.
    Poor Metropolis, I think it lost half its skyline. Sure hope the security personnel got all the people evacuated. That's why its important to have regular fire-drills. You never know when Superman is going to do super-battle in your burb.
    It's definitely there. Geekgasm has isolated the scene. This is consistent with Snyder's attempts to broadly homage Superman lore.
    That's part of what I like about the film. Although it's an origins film, it doesn't labour the origins. Everything gets thrown into the mix in fairly short order, including the Daily Planet, Perry and Lois etc and the Man of Steel is showcased in all his glory.
    I guess we are to assume that Rebecca Buller as Jennie Olsen is the new Jimmy Olsen.

59aab9d57cd4e90

http://www.blastr.com/2013-1-23/who-jenny-olsen-and-why-she-man-steel

timmer wrote:
    It's definitely there. Geekgasm has isolated the scene. This is consistent with Snyder's attempts to broadly homage Superman lore.
    That's part of what I like about the film. Although it's an origins film, it doesn't labour the origins. Everything gets thrown into the mix in fairly short order, including the Daily Planet, Perry and Lois etc and the Man of Steel is showcased in all his glory.
    I guess we are to assume that Rebecca Buller as Jennie Olsen is the new Jimmy Olsen.

59aab9d57cd4e90

http://www.blastr.com/2013-1-23/who-jenny-olsen-and-why-she-man-steel

your wrong shes not playing Jenny Olsen here's the proof : http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/06/02/man-of-steel-jenny-olsen-is-not-jenny-olsen/
    Thanks! So she's red herring Jimmy Olsen. This zoomed-in screen shot, does reveal her as having another name.

jenny-jurwich.png

From The Mary Sue dot com
    "It appears that actor Rebecca Buller may not be playing Jenny Olsen, as we thought, but an assistant by the name of Jenny Jurwich, based on evidence from a higher quality image of a Man of Steel shot. Zooming in on Buller’s ID badge in this Man of Steel shot reveals that the character of Jenny, previously suspected to be a gender bent version of Daily Planet employee Jimmy Olsen, is not an Olsen. "

http://www.themarysue.com/jimmy-olsen-jenny-jurwich/

Imdb btw just refers to her character as Jenny.
    Smallville also toyed with fans regarding the Jimmy Olsen character, until they killed off their red herring.
    Just watched Man of steel and have to say its awesome. There were many times during the film i shook my head and asked myself is that really happening. Not sure i have ever seen so much carnage in one movie.

Cool if definitely confirmed! Get me a seat and ticket! :-bd
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I hope this works and it doesn't prove a straight follow-up would have been better. Wishing it all the best.

The plan is for Flash in 2016 and Justice League in 2017. Let's see if that holds.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/superman-batman-film-set-comic-589521
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very interesting. I just wonder who they will get to play 'Batman'. Will they go along with (spoilers for TDKR):
    Joseph Gordon Levitt? I know it's been confirmed that Christian Bale won't return as the Dark Knight.
    Hoping they do a take on Dark Knight Returns :-) Though would make sense to make that potential movie further down the line.

Think they may recast Batman/Wayne would be good opportunity to reboot the character. Unless they can persuade Bale to return to the role, though think that's unlikely as previously stated.
    Press Release:

NEXT DC SUPER HERO MOVIE IN PRE-PRODUCTION

Director Zack Snyder Unites Superman and Batman in One Explosive New Film

BURBANK, CA, July 20, 2013 – On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyderis bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution,Warner Bros. Pictures.

The current hit, “Man of Steel,” has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcoming film brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast.

Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date in Summer 2015.

Silverman stated, “Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he’s a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way.” Kroll added, “We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ‘Man of Steel’ is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us.”

Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, noted,“Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe.”

Zack Snyder, who made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con today, breaking the news to audiences there, later said, “I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.”

The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan.

Thomas offered, “Whilst our ‘Dark Knight’ trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack’s fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can’t wait to see what Zack does with these characters.”

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.

batman-superman-combined-logo__130720213504-275x154.gif
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 9,770
    awesome :)

huge batman fan here
    ...Let’s face it, it’s
    beyond mythological to have
    Superman and our new Batman
    facing off, since they are the
    greatest Super Heroes in the
    world.”

That's stands out for me, the idea of them facing off could be a major clue to there intentions. I would think the new Batman just means the new actor, not to have Bruce Waynes Batman would make little sense to me and lesson the impact of the movie, plus Wayne enterprises logo as i am sure everyone is aware of now shows up in Man of Steel.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Watched MOS last week and thought it was very poor.

A dull Avatar prelude that went on forever and an even duller last 40 mins of CGI tedium, an uninspiring main villain and just as uninspiring Lois, and a finale that was more like Independence Day with Metropolis suffering worse damage than Hiroshima was beyond over the top.
    To be fair Cavill did what he could with pretty poor material but to waste Russell Crowe as his old man when you could have had him hamming it up as Zod is criminal.
    There were a few nuggets of interesting ideas such as Clark learning to master his x-ray vision as a kid and the concept of how the world would react to an alien among them but overall these were lost amongst the slurry.

Does anyone know how much input Nolan actually had as the contrast between this and Batman Begins is startling in every aspect? Was it a case of Nolan just jotting a few comments on a post it note so they could use his name on the poster?

And where was the music? Is there a rights issue there? If you have a classic piece of John Williams music then use it FFS. By all means hold it back a la CR but if at the climax we had thought Supes was beaten only for the music to start crescendoing up and then he rises to kick ass then I probably would have forgiven a lot.
    I would say its utterly inconceivable that the new Star Wars films will come up with a new score and so it should be here.

It seems like overall they bottled it. They thought about going for a character driven piece showing us how Clark learned how to use his powers and deal with the loneliness and responsibility of his position but didn't have the courage to see it through and decided to just throw a load of CGI at it and sadly they seem to have got away with it as its making a shitload of money vindicating the decision.

Personally I would have had the opening as was (although would have trimmed it by a good 10 mins) with Zod cast out into space and then just had a Superman Begins story putting into place all the stuff like Lois and the Daily Planet but focussing more on Clark deciding how to use his powers. Lex Luthor would be the villain with some nefarious scheme so we could have a spectacular (but about 25 mins shorter) finale and then right at the end we would see Zod heading for earth as a prelude to MOS2.

As it was it seemed like they tried to pack in too much and when deciding what needed cutting they opted for all the interesting stuff rather than leave a single second of CGI buildings being smashed up on the cutting room floor.

The trailer made it look so much more. How much of the CGI Avatar opening or buildings being smashed up climax made it into the trailer? Not a lot - they made it out to be Superman Begins.

Very disappointing.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,808
    Good to see you back, @TheWizardOfIce, from your partner, Draggers.
    And where was the music? Is there a rights issue there? If you have a classic piece of John Williams music then use it FFS. By all means hold it back a la CR but if at the climax we had thought Supes was beaten only for the music to start crescendoing up and then he rises to kick ass then I probably would have forgiven a lot.
    I would say its utterly inconceivable that the new Star Wars films will come up with a new score and so it should be here.

This is a new series so the music was never going to be there. Just like the Batman trilogy didn't have the theme for the other four films.

I agree though, a very average film and I have no idea how bad not doing a straight follow-up could be. The DC Universe has began, God help us all.