Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Going to see it today. Sounds as if there is too much action in the last part which might very well have me bored.

I don't know why some reviewers criticise films for not having enough humour. Why does everything always have to be funny? The same goes for the length. Who cares if a film is three hours! Not that MOS is this long anyway.
    I'm actually ecstatic to hear that there is very little humor in the movie. It really ruins many action movies nowadays. Most superhero movies are guilty of this, but it happens in other action movies too. Look at Raiders of the Lost Ark vs Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; KOTCS looks like a kiddie movie by comparison!
    I can't wait to see Man of Steel!

Yeah, I think so too. It can ruin the intensity and drama. I like humour to be in more natural, realistic places.

Well, I enjoyed Man of Steel but I felt that it was too action heavy which is the case with many Hollywood blockbusters unfortunately. If it was more dialogue driven coupled with a bit more character movement, I'd be happier.

I'm going to see it again on the weekend but at this stage I'm not sure how pleased I am with the order in which the flashbacks of Kent's childhood were presented. They were well played, although too brief, but I wonder if I would have preferred it if the film had have been shot in a more chronological format.

I loved the film's darker tone and the fact that it lacked humour.

These modern action blockbusters are so fast paced. It's a pity. I miss the good ol' days of the 80's and back.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Dark tone? Lack of humour? Mixed reception (60%) on rottentomatoes right now, literally only one percent above a "rotten" rating.

Correct me if I'm wrong then, but does that mean this WAS the pointless dark gritty reboot I thought it'd be ;) Not really interested in seeing it anymore but I'd be interested to read some of the opinions on here.

@Bounine Given that it's Zack Snyder, I'm guessing most of the action was CGI too?
    Plan to see it regardless of reviews hopefully one day early next week! Looking forward to it!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dark tone? Lack of humour? Mixed reception (60%) on rottentomatoes right now, literally only one percent above a "rotten" rating.

Correct me if I'm wrong then, but does that mean this WAS the pointless dark gritty reboot I thought it'd be ;) Not really interested in seeing it anymore but I'd be interested to read some of the opinions on here.

Seriously? Some of you really need to think for yourselves sometimes.
    I was only gonna see this to secure Justice League but since Man of Steel 2 is next I may never go and see it as once again I HATE SUPERMAN....
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837

Seriously? Some of you really need to think for yourselves sometimes.

I was never really interested anyway. I said right from the start that I was sick of the dark gritty reboot trend, that I didn't like the character and that I didn't like Sucker Punch.

After I read posts in this thread talking about how brilliant it would be, and the trailers looking quite cool, I said I might see it. But the reviews seem to be confirming my worst fears so I'm not going to spend my time and money on something I probably won't enjoy.

Saying that though, I might give it a watch when it's on Sky Movies in a years time if I have some time to kill.
    Wow. I still can't wait to see this tonight but it seems the positive reviews are REALLY positive while the negitive are saying that the film was flawed but they still found things enjoyable. I've never seen reactions so mixed like this...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just like with those that thrashed Watchmen, this is a film made by fans for fans. While I am not that big on Superman, it could very well make me more of a fan by how serious they are finally taking the character, and hopefully do him justice.

@Bounine Given that it's Zack Snyder, I'm guessing most of the action was CGI too?

Much of the action is CGI, yes. "Weta Studios - New Zealand", the people who did Lord Of The Rings. It's not bad CGI though. I expect this when it comes to Superhero films which I'm not big on anyway. I've always enjoyed the original Superman films though and the Nolan Batman flicks.

The acting is decent. I thought that the dame who played Louis Lane was good along with Russell Crowe and one of the army chaps whose name I don't know. I've seen him in other roles. He had a longer part than the other soldiers. Superman himself is alright. Certainly not bad but not fantastic either. Costner and the woman who played Clark's earth mother also gave good performances. Sadly maybe, I found myself caring about Costner's character more than Superman but then the latter is almost unbreakable anyway.

It's certainly not pointless but I thought that we could have seen a bit more of Clark's childhood and I feel that it could have been edited differently, that is chronologically. All the flashbacks got on my nerves a bit. I feel that this was a major issue. This was the disappointing part for me. Guess that they were worried about the mainstream audience with the supposed attention span of 5 year olds, getting bored again.

The dialogue sounded like Nolan and I was pleased with this and the serious, more realistic tone of the film. Loved that it had a lack of humour. I don't know why every Hollywood blockbuster has to be a comedy.

All the flashbacks scattered around the movie hindered my enjoyment to a point though.
    If anyone's interested Graham Norton is joined by Oscar-winning Hollywood star Russell Crowe, Oscar-nominated actress Amy Adams and Superman himself, Henry Cavill on tonight's The Graham Norton Show.
    Thanks. Would someone mind recording it and putting it on You Tube. :) This would be greatly appreciated.
    If you can't wait for it to appear on YouTube, @Bounine, it'll be on VideoBull the day after. All you need to do is check this site and you'll see it in it's entirety...

http://videobull.com/?s=graham+norton+show&x=16&y=12
    Its at 59% Rotten now. Lets see, how it will effect the BO.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,661
    This is a huge film for Warner Bros (they own DC Comics). If MOS is a huge hit it's almost guaranteed there will be a Justice League and/or Batman and Superman team-up film. So not much pressure on Zach Snyder to deliver! :P
  • So wonder woman and aqwaman are green lit if this goes well. I'm sure it'll cross the billon dollar threashhold domestically and internationally.

Just a question and I have to know because I've wondered about it for many years...is it mentioned in the canon if SM needs to go to the loo? He does eat and drink, but where does the waste go...
    Who knows about the BO abd crossing the billion. If word of mouth is not good, it might underperform in the end.
    David Goyer Talks JUSTICE LEAGUE; Confirms That It Will Feature A NEW Batman
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=81564#ucbECfibTAdgrRCi.99
    bondsum wrote:
    If you can't wait for it to appear on YouTube, @Bounine, it'll be on VideoBull the day after. All you need to do is check this site and you'll see it in it's entirety...

http://videobull.com/?s=graham+norton+show&x=16&y=12

Great! Many thanks.
    You're welcome, @Bounine.

The only thing I'll say is that bad word of mouth and poor critical reviews did nothing to dampen The Transformers box office takings. After all, Transformers: Dark of the Moon got 36% Rotten and still managed to pull in over $1 Billion worldwide, and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (20% Rotten) which resulted in U.S. Domestic Total Gross: $402,111,870. I honestly don't think that many people put much stock in what critics say anymore.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I can't see $1 billion on the cards but who knows what will happen. Skyfall anyone?

Maybe $800 million at the most, it all depends on the word of mouth.

Looking forward to seeing this tomorrow.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just seen this film and it is EPIC. I'm sorry but MoS completely dumps all over every comic book movie out there IMO. The opening sequences on Krypton are great. Was pleasantly surprised that Jor-El can kick ass and Fiora, Zod's henchwoman was a delight. She was brutal and kicked ass and reminded me why we need a strong new Femme Fatale in the next Bond film.

Cavill as Supes makes the role his own and completely embodies the role, much in the way Reeves made the role his own. Make no mistake, Cavill is superman and the fights and action set pieces are perfectly apt. Anyone complaining about too much action in a superman movies needs to be punched and then ignored. Forget ironman, forget avengers, just forget the rest, the original daddy of superheroes is back on the throne.

Go see this film immediately!

8.5/10
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Just seen this film and it is EPIC. I'm sorry but MoS completely dumps all over every comic book movie out there IMO. The opening sequences on Krypton are great. Was pleasantly surprised that Jor-El can kick ass and Fiora, Zod's henchwoman was a delight. She was brutal and kicked ass and reminded me why we need a strong new Femme Fatale in the next Bond film.

Cavill as Supes makes the role his own and completely embodies the role, much in the way Reeves made the role his own. Make no mistake, Cavill is superman and the fights and action set pieces are perfectly apt. Anyone complaining about too much action in a superman movies needs to be punched and then ignored. Forget ironman, forget avengers, just forget the rest, the original daddy of superheroes is back on the throne.

Go see this film immediately!

8.5/10

So its ok then?
    Superman? Aw...I dont't know. I probably won't see this reboot.
    I just keep having this feeling of "been there, done that" with The Man of Steel.
    I loved the Christopher Reeve movies, well the first two anyway, but all I can say now is we are treated to another CGI extravanza that Hollywood keeps turning out.

Like the cliche goes, "if you keep serving slop, people will aquire a taste for it.."
    The amount of CGI destruction in the third act has led one reviewer to say it makes 9/11 looks like a loft conversion @OHMSS69.

That's my dread when I see this film, I thought Iron Man 3 was bad enough.
    58% on Rotten that sucks even Superman Returns much better rating 75%
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    57% now but as long as it's good, who cares. As long as it connects, it should work, the problem is so many say it doesn't. At least this means there is a lot to build on for next time.