SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Bond does mention to M about her words 'Take the bloody shot' so he is clearly hacked off that he was so dispensable.

I think that @Getafix tends to move around the forums slagging the film off, and I for one said in a previous post that I understood his points, but are they sufficient enough to convince those who love SF that it is in fact a bad film?

As for the last point that @Sandy answered, well I agree that is what Mr Dalton would have done. (He even managed to overact with a bit of eye widening when he had a gas mask on in TLD). Mr Craig Is more in line with film acting.
    ;-)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 512
    Okay, so he is unconscious when he hits the water. When we see his figure go under the water (though I can't really remember) that is just prep for the song then, the credits?Generally if you go under the water unconscious you drown. To be fair, I'm not implying the giant hand that plucks at his arse actually exists!

'Someone obviously helped him'. Yeah obviously. Why not cut away from Bond on the table with laser beam to the next scene. Doesn't matter how he escaped, he just did.

To be fair, this probably isn't a plothole. It just shows no one gives a damn about filling you in. I mean, it's not like not showing him go to the loo or getting a taxi to the airport. Some things in a narrative you can overlook, others you can't.

You haven't addressed how he gets a sniper's bullet and no mention of it doing any serious damage, even the old 'flesh wound' cliche, no mention of how he survived, I mean that really is the key omission for me. Where did he get hit? Oh, it doesn't matter. I mean, he seems to take it in the upper torso, the force blows him off the top of a train! (Edit: didn't really see if it was in the shoulder, I missed that but even then it's a while before we see it if so, a bit of a non-explanation for too long).

So, it's the new sensitive Bond! Quite happy to find other agents dispensable! Leaves one guy to die, just obeying orders. But when his boss makes a mistake under pressure, makes the wrong call, he is all offended! This is understandable; nothing admirable about it however. A sulker. I mean, she wasn't even saying 'Shoot Bond!' That would be understandable then, if she didn't worry about killing him if it meant getting her man.

As for the eyes widening, or some kind or reaction, well you can get that stuff in something other than soap operas (with all due respect). It does reinforce that he is hearing what M is saying, though of course in that case why doesn't he duck down? It doesn't have to be a Dalton 'see me acting from row P in the stalls' type thing.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    SF truly is one of the worst films I've ever seen: no plot, nothing is explained, M is the true Bond girl and the villain is a carbon copy of Joker in TDK. Don't get me started about the graves, I thought that James Bond was just a codename. Michael Bay's CGI is miles ahead of SF, especially the helicopters on Silva's island. Those 5 seconds ruin the whole scene for me.

And why mess with the timeline? the DB5 with gadgets is from 1964 & 1965 only.

How wrong was I.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just find it funny that it looked like Bond had a massive erection as he was sinking into the water. Even in "death" he still has his mojo.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I just find it funny that it looked like Bond had a massive erection as he was sinking into the water. Even in "death" he still has his mojo.

How on earth do you people notice these things?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'll pm you the name of my oculist ;-)
  • RC7RC7
    JamesCraig wrote:
    SF truly is one of the worst films I've ever seen: no plot, nothing is explained, M is the true Bond girl and the villain is a carbon copy of Joker in TDK. Don't get me started about the graves, I thought that James Bond was just a codename. Michael Bay's CGI is miles ahead of SF, especially the helicopters on Silva's island. Those 5 seconds ruin the whole scene for me.

How wrong was I.

Did you honestly think people wouldn't find fault with this film?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JamesCraig wrote:

How wrong was I.

1) IMO there's a plot. It revolves around Silva's revenge towards M.
    2) Which part isn't explained?
    3) M isn't the true Bond girl since Bond doesn't romance her. The Bond girls are there, there are two of them, they simply aren't dragged through all acts for the sake of boringly meeting people's expectations. I for one am pleased that this one cuts low on the Bond girls and focuses more on other things.
    4) Joker was all about anarchy and proving a point. Silva is all about revenge. No match IMO. :-)
    5) The codename thing doesn't stand. The graves are part of the Fleming legacy and the authorised John Pearson Bond biography. They didn't make up those names.
    6) The CGI isn't the best we can get but seriously, I don't mid at all. At least I don't it against the entire film...

It's a joke, Dimi. I've collected it from the criticisms I find not true at all.

Sandy wrote:
    Although I think this thread will be closed soon because there is already a thread for questions about Skyfall let me say what I think. Bond didn't think Silva was going to kill her. But it is only after Silva shoots that he can create a situation in which he can save himself.
    I still wish she had more screen time, I think she was doing a great work.

I disagree this is the second time in two movies that Bond is rather callous with his "allies", first there was the matter of tipping Mathis in the garbage bin and now the flippant remark of 007 after Severine's demise, "it is a waste of good whisky".

This is no longer the 007 people are used too or want to be. This one is a more psychopathic one and less of a human being. Most of the reactions of 007 in this movie are those of an robot. ANd in the end he even fails to do his job and Silva wins. While SF had some grate moments it was really a grim and dark tale.

I am not sure I like DC's version of 007.
    This James Bond is the must human of them all. He gives quips, it's "flippant". He's serious "he's a psychopath". I used to think that Bondfans were the sanest of all franchise-fans, but I'm beginning to doubt that more & more.

How he fails to do his job is beyond me, I seem to remember that Bond kills him with a knife.

By that logic, Bond in OHMSS failed everything too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JamesCraig wrote:
    It's a joke, Dimi. I've collected it from the criticisms I find not true at all.

Dude, seriously? :D You've gotten me confused there. ;-) I thought we were both in the fan region of SF. :P

• edited November 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Just to follow up on Severine's death from the previously closed thread (and not a response aimed at @SaintMark's observations)...

I must admit I don't understand this complaint. Bond had a gun pointed directly at his head so he could hardly do anything about saving Severine until it was removed. It was only after she was dead that Bond feigned indifference with his pithy remark which had the desired effect because the villains believed him and dropped their guard. It was only at this stage that Bond kicked into action and eliminated Silva's henchmen. I thought the scene worked well. First we have the shock factor of Severine's early death, then we have Bond's psychical response in the form of quick justice. I do think Bond should have kicked Silva in the cojones before the helicopters landed though for good measure.
  • Agree he could do nothing about it. It's a nasty scene though, made nastier by the fact that a) he just strolls onto the island, into the situation, like he wouldn't get captured. D'oh! b) has almost promised he would save the gal, just dumb like his promise to Vesper that he can win the game against Le Chiffre. 'Look into my eyes!' Yeah, alright then!
    Not very convincing that his quip could disarm his opponents just like that. Not convinced that Craig really isn't unmoved by what has happened. Horrible the way you get a triumphant bit of Bond theme when helicopters arrive, though the gal is dead. 'Well done James!'
    JamesCraig wrote:
    By that logic, Bond in OHMSS failed everything too.
    Not at all. Bond identifies the 12 Angels of Death brainwashed by Blofeld under the guise of allergy or phobia treatment before passing on this information to HQ so that they can be apprehended which they are. Also, he destroys the laboratory atop Piz Gloria in the Swiss Alps where the Virus Omega is being produced. Job done. It was just a shame that his wife got killed afterwards.

I take your point about the triumphant fanfare after Severine's death, @NapoleonPlural. I did feel that the helicopters arriving and then cutting straight to London was a bit jarring, especially after what had just happened.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,169
    JamesCraig wrote:
    This James Bond is the must human of them all.
    SaintMark wrote:
    This is no longer the 007 people are used too or want to be. This one is a more psychopathic one
    Interesting opinions.

Why and who Bond is, is because of how he was earlier and how we grew up watching him, IMO. For the kids in this generation I imagine that this Bond is no more different than any other action film character: Flawed, who eventually hits rock bottom and then ressurects to save the day. No wait, Bond didn't even do that in SF. He failed.

In other words Bond 2012 is a guy who reports to his mother on the radio, taking instructions about how to deal with a bad guy. And who, when things get sour, hides, stops shaving, starts drinking heavily and shoots like a 70 year old!

My kind of Bond - the "real" Bond - doesn't fail. He is a classical archetype alpha male always on top of his game and a chauvinistic, arrogant womanizer with a dangerous job. This worked for 40 years, so after six years of rebooting can we have that guy back, please?

The guy who can pass the physical as well as the psychical test before send on a mission using cool and inventive gadgets? Yeah, yeah... I know - "exploding pens... we don't do that any more"? WTF? That doesn't sound good for Bond 24.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    There is one sort of plot hole I don't get: what happened to the shot fired by Eve? Bond is shot by patrice and he removes the bullet fragments so MI6 can analyse it but I can't remember any sign of him having any injury from Eve's shot.

I haven't seen the film for a week or two and my memory isn't great so sorry if I missed any mention of it.
    NicNac wrote:
    As for the last point that @Sandy answered, well I agree that is what Mr Dalton would have done. (He even managed to overact with a bit of eye widening when he had a gas mask on in TLD). Mr Craig Is more in line with film acting.
    ;-)

Must.... resist....urge.... to..... argue.....
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There is one sort of plot hole I don't get: what happened to the shot fired by Eve? Bond is shot by patrice and he removes the bullet fragments so MI6 can analyse it but I can't remember any sign of him having any injury from Eve's shot.

I haven't seen the film for a week or two and my memory isn't great so sorry if I missed any mention of it.
    NicNac wrote:
    ;-)

Must.... resist....urge.... to..... argue.....

Oh come on, you know you want to \:D/
    ;-)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,601
    JamesCraig wrote:

How wrong was I.

I knew, you were kidding :D but yeah, that pretty much sums it up, what some few are saying.

I think, there is something, some here seem to have gotten wrong. They review this film as a serious documentation almost. You as Bondfans should know, that Bond films are not meant to be taken THIS seriously, not even Craig Bond. Far from it. Strip away the impossible and you will moan, how it did get way too resalistic. Now - for some - its not realistic enough. Gosh...
    TheLivingRoyale, you have been reasonable. So you can argue with my full blessing :D
  • Well, Moonraker isn't meant to be taken this seriously. IMO Skyfall is - and fails because of this. I mean, how seriously should it be taken? As seriously as Die Hard? Cos I don't find myself arguing over that. As seriously as Dr No? Ditto. Or Mission Impossible IV? The French Connection?

Various films you can not take wholly seriously, but it doesn't mean that things don't have to add up or make sense within their universe.
    Well, Moonraker isn't meant to be taken this seriously. IMO Skyfall is - and fails because of this. I mean, how seriously should it be taken? As seriously as Die Hard? Cos I don't find myself arguing over that. As seriously as Dr No? Ditto. Or Mission Impossible IV? The French Connection?

Various films you can not take wholly seriously, but it doesn't mean that things don't have to add up or make sense within their universe.

Maybe we can just agree, that this is your opinion and be good? Repeating it forever doesn*t change anything, for neither party.

• Germanlady wrote:
    JamesCraig wrote:

How wrong was I.

I knew, you were kidding :D but yeah, that pretty much sums it up, what some few are saying.

I think, there is something, some here seem to have gotten wrong. They review this film as a serious documentation almost. You as Bondfans should know, that Bond films are not meant to be taken THIS seriously, not even Craig Bond. Far from it. Strip away the impossible and you will moan, how it did get way too resalistic. Now - for some - its not realistic enough. Gosh...

Many a true word said in jest
  • tqbtqb
    the debates will go on forever
    tqb wrote:

I think, debates in itsself, never mind the context are fine, but the repeats - on BOTH sides - are tiring and bring nothing new to the table after a while.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    tqb wrote:

I think, debates in itsself, never mind the context are fine, but the repeats - on BOTH sides - are tiring and bring nothing new to the table after a while.

I agree
    Sorry Germanlady
    :\">
    JamesCraig wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

How on earth do you people notice these things?

=)) Love this!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,407

First thoughts as walking out. It was different like CR but I didn't automatically get the "Bond vibe" but in my opinion, that is a good thing. It means the Bond series has now matured to the point of it being above the rest again.

The Good:

Bond: Daniel Craig gives the Bond performance of a lifetime in this film. He's funny, witty, dead serious when he needs to be, and for the first time in a long time, sentimental. Craig has cemented himself as the ultimate Bond for this generation, perhaps ever

Silva: I remember the excitement I felt when I first heard that Bardem was being seriously considered for the villain in Bond 23. And boy does he not disappoint! Every second he's on screen he just has the viewers attention for every line and every movement he says. It's great to see some camp back in the villain. But also (especially near the end) he can be deathly frightening when he wants to be. Easily the best on screen villain since Ledger's Joker.

M: Some people hate that Dench has had more of a role in Bond's life the last few films. I for one, think that it has been a great thing! And here, she really gets a chance to shine. A worthy sendoff to a beloved character. And yes, a tear was shed.

Q/Eve/Mallory: Let's start with Q. I thought Ben's performance was brilliant. He and Craig have great chemistry with witty banter but by the end I think we felt a good mutual respect they had for each other. I look forward to seeing this relationship continue. On to Eve. I've heard she has great chemistry with Craig and that she has no chemistry with Craig. Some of it seems a little forced, but overall I was impressed. Loved their constant banter of how he feels safe if she's not in the field. The "Miss Moneypenny" line made me smile. Mallory had a good character arc in this film and I feel that Bond and the rest of MI6 gained legitimate respect for the character over the course of the film which makes his transition to his new job much easier.

The Action/Roger Deakans: What more can be said of the great Roger Deakans. This film looks beautiful. The Skyfall finale was dark and moody, China was bright and neon. The action did not disappoint me either. Yes there are less action scenes but these scenes were longer and more entertaining than anything in Quantum of Solace. One thing that surprised me is I hardly find anyone talking about the London tube chase. I found this to be my favorite action scene in the film. Very well constructed and entertaining. The brief fight in the skyscraper was beautiful.

The Mixed:

The Music: It's not that Thomas Newman did a bad job. Far from it. It's just it wasn't very memorable. Now I really like what David Arnold did for the last two films and Newman didn't quite come up with the same level of things. But it still worked and is far from an Eric Serra disaster. The Bond theme was used in all the right places and most importantly, it was not overused

Skyfall: I may be in the minority here, but I would of loved to see Bond's story explained more. That scene with M outside the car begged for more exposition (even if us Bond fans already know most things). And for some reason I wish the lodge was called Skyfall more. Petty thing I know

The bad:

The Gunbarrel: I don't care that it was at the end, in fact that worked. It's just that the design and Craig's pose didn't work for me at all. It wasn't terrible but it's the only negative I can say.

Overall:

After looking forward to this for 4 long years, I can say my expectations were met and then some. This is a movie that MUST be seen more than once. I know I didn't get everything out of it. This was a very personal story and a great "transition" Bond film. The "Bond vibe" has been reinvented my friends. And I'm looking forward to 50 more years!

9.5/10
    bondbat007 wrote:
    So after seeing the IMAX premiere last night, I can finally share my opinions.

First thoughts as walking out. It was different like CR but I didn't automatically get the "Bond vibe" but in my opinion, that is a good thing. It means the Bond series has now matured
    Matured?

I don't think that the audience need to be educated in the direction of a more temporary 21st. century Bond by the filmmakers who do not want become suspects of doing the same thing all over again. Shouldn't people get the "Bond vibe" after having watched a Bond-movie? How can it be a "good thing" if they don't?