SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• "Screw" is a one-syllable word. "Gratuitous" is a four syllable word. It's hard to get prissy when one is tossing around four-syllable words!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Birdleson wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'm just hoping to see some gratuitous sex & violence...

Yet you got all prissy when I said that Bond should always screw the Bond Girl!

Did he? :-O My, we all want gratuitous sex and violence, including me. ;;) And I want Bond to end up with this particular main Bond girl alive and having a helluva good time at the finish of this film (maybe with evil lurking yes... but still!)

Anyway, good morning chaps! Lots of nice discussion going on, I'm quite pleased to see. I was busy taking out some dirt on another thread (production thread), but have washed my hands of that now and am eager to read more here on my fav thread.

My take on bringing back other Fleming villains, a la Dr. No, Goldfinger, Stromberg, Kanaga/ Mr. Big - in a word: NO. I do not think it necessary at all, and it is jarring.

I feel that Blofeld and SPECTRE (now I find myself saying it just like Connery in that funny video clip!) are in a different category. SPECTRE is ripe for modernization, bring them back in a smart, creative, and thoroughly evil way. Blofeld has been built up over the years to be Bond's main nemesis, and this could be delicious if smartly done.

I think White will be a link, along with the china bulldog, but mainly this thing will unravel through Oberhauser. Just guessing; my instinct is pointing in that direction, that's all. I do suspect that Oberhauser is the main link in this particular film, and the connection with Bond's parents will be significant, including perhaps that they were murdered and the ski accident was not an accident ... that does not mean that Oberhauser himself (who is indeed played by Walz in this film) is Blofeld. Could be, could be somone else introduced later. And that does not mean an overwrought angst ridden Bond either (I hear many crying "not personal again!") but to find SPECTRE having its tentacles stretch back in time that far would be intriguing, and segues us to the present situation in an interesting way. Again, this SPECTRE cannot be like the one from the sixties (volano lair, etc.) It needs to be smartly updated and include Quantum in some way that makes sense.

I hope SPECTRE is in at least 2 films, and I could easily see 3. Blofeld cannot continue forever, but SPECTRE can continue to die out and re-emerge in later years for this series and if it is very well done that could be quite a good thing .
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Rebooting the series presents unique challenges. If nothing in any Bond film prior to CR can serve as prologue, then the cryptic message from Bond's past cannot be from Blofeld or SPECTRE, since neither have been introduced into the rebooted series thus far. If a previous film does serve as prologue, then there cannot be a Blofeld, since he was smoked, so to speak.

Blofeld could be revealed as someone Bond had encountered in his past or previously in the film series and now goes by a new name and identity. SPECTRE is most likely QUANTAM on steroids.

With the slate wiped entirely clean, past Bond villains and characters could be resurrected, since, like Blofeld, they have yet to encounter Bond.

You are right that the reboot can be tricky, but I prefer to take the easiest interpretation possible. I hope they do not try to resurrect other past villains really.
    I love that you called SPECTRE "QUANTAM on steroids" .... yes, I think so!
    And I especially want to say thanks for joining us again, @CrabKey. I think you are an Original; is that correct? :)
    I think you are an Original; is that correct?

Indeed! In junior high I stumbled into a movie theatre the year Dr. No was first released and was completely blown away. I've been with Bond throughout the entire series, highs and lows. I am often quite critical of the series and the films, but then that's easy when you're on the outside looking at the whole, rather than being a producer on the inside making one picture at a time without necessarily seeing the whole.

As one who appreciates continuity, I remain bothered by the lack of chronology and continuity in the series, which a reboot only adds to the confusion. To clarify, I don't want to see past villains return, but any past that includes a Bond encounter with Blofeld could open that door. In some respects it might be easier and cleaner not to have Blofeld in the film, but he's such a part of the Bond history, why not?

This original fan loves the DC series, almost as much the SC series (not including DAF.)

I look forward to SPECTRE because it brings back the feelings I had anticipating the next SC film, a feeling that--for me--all but disappeared during the RM and PB years.

That's great, @CrabKey! Thanks for sharing your intro to Bond with us. You are just slightly older than me. In a way I wish I was born just a little earlier so I could have seen Dr. No and FRWL in the theater - and then I also would not have been too young for Woodstock. ;) Anyway, I am so glad you have joined us here.

We will be having various discussions about SPECTRE for a couple of weeks, I think. In about one more day, I will sum up the answers to the first set of questions as given by our Originals. Agian, nonoriginals are very welcome to participate; only the Originals' answers will be polled. Then we will jump into further chat about characters in SPECTRE, cast and character discussions. :-bd >

Changing now to a different topic, but a timely one. I want to mention something that is currently happening here on this forum (and around the world): The Sony leak. Apparently, emails have been leaked and there are bits and pieces of the script for SPECTRE supposedly leaked. Early draft discussion, speculation among Sony staff .... but I think this is all from information from emails, not a stolen actual script. We are entering new territory here, folks, and I wanted to talk about this briefly today on this thread.

Let me start with a post by Suivez_ce_parachute on a spoiler news thread. I think this is quite succinct and well said; that is why I want to start off with this. I am also posting here my reply to him - because I want us on this thread to think about this current situation carefully and please discuss this here a bit today. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this. Do you really think there is no harm in reading and spreading this leaked information? Much of which apparently is back and forth speculation, not firm news ... but probably with some bits of real information, too. :-w

How different is this compared to "spoilers" in the past? Can we treat this the same way? Onset photos or location shooting photos taken by a fan ... compared to this current situation of leaked emails. For me, it is a huge difference. And an unhappy development.

Here are these two posts:

Suivez_ce_parachute
    4:14AM Posts: 1,029Flag
    As you might guess, i got messages asking for what spoilers were in the leaked files.

But the truth is that these are not just spoilers, they are spoilers that mean you have to basically read private mailboxes, something that is 100% illegal ('fortunately" the mail leaks so far are only professional mails it seems, nothing strictly "personal"). So IMO we are not dealing with the usual spoiler territory because someone somewhere posted a set photo which shows something that should have remained secret. We are dealing with piracy here. Intended to cause harm.

A few years ago, we discussed about photos taken by an amateur photographer who stumbled on the Skyfall house set. Now imagine that instead of the lucky photos, we had videos taken with a drone from paparazzis wanting to make money from these videos.

Or, even worse : as we all know, Craig himself has been the subject of phone hacking by tabloids. Imagine you could listen to Craig/Mendes discussion over the phone about Spectre's plot, between a phone call to his dentist and a phone call to his nephew. Would it be just "spoilers" really ?

4EverBonded4EverBonded Penny Lane
    4:25AM edited 4:26AM Posts: 7,167Flag
    @Suivez_ce_parachute very good points! This is new territory for "spoilers." I agree with Germanlady and yourself that this is not the usual spoiler situation - they are disrespectful and illegal; I hate having these things leaked.

It is piracy and intended to cause harm. For myself, I do not want the film ruined. For all the people involved with making this film (which is a huge task and takes many months out of their lives to complete), I do not want the actual story leaked everywhere. And I for sure do not want to read other people's emails! So I feel very bad about this happening; dark days, not happy spoiler times, not harmless.

I'll do my best not to read things. But this is really nothing to celebrate, is it?

So dear Originals and nonOriginals here - what are your thoughts? Peoples' emails, personal information including salary and addresses, phone numbers, etc. have all been put out on the internet. For all I know, their medical background and other very personal things have also been leaked. I do not know why Sony was a target. Anyone have any idea why this group of hackers considered them evil? I don't know why. But this is the future it seems. And it is very unfortunate, not a good thing, from where I stand. Of course, it is also illegal. So sad, things cannot be "put back in the box."

How harmless or harmful do you think this is? What are your feelings about getting information on SPECTRE this way? Even if most of it is junk, just speculation, there could be some real info here and there in these leaked conversations. Is there any way to stop this from spreading like wildfire, to other films as well? (Only taking the entertainment industry into account for this discussion, but you realize of course that no area is safe anymore from hackers.)

Please let me hear from you today about this situation. Thank you!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well, I stupidly clicked the link & read a small bit of one page before dumping it. I expected, like, location stuff or something but saw story discussion- apparently interdepartmental stuff, but also not stuff meant for ANYONE OTHER THAN THE RECIPIENT. I'm not into reading extreme spoilers, and I don't think reading 'stolen' material is generally a good thing. I realize it's very tempting to look at for some, but IMO we should treat such info as not existing for us, as we should never have had any kind of access to it in the first place. I don't mean to come off as a boyscout, just my opinion here.
    Thanks, @chrisisall. I really agree we should not have it here. If we can treat this crap like not existing - no discussion of it, don't give links or quotes - I would greatly prefer that. The people who want to post all of this kind of thing need to do it on other threads and very carefully WITH spoiler tags. However, I think some "eager beavers" will not. I am very against it. This kind of crap take the joy out of the build up to SPECTRE, not to even mention ruining lives. Essentially it means reading other peoples' private emails.
    And our front page of our MI6 website, James Bond News talks about the Sony leaks. I suggest reading it. Here is just part of what was written in that article today (bolding and underlining are mine):

Today the focus is on what appear to be serious leaks of early SPECTRE (Bond 24) script drafts.

Bond fans are advised that although these are unconfirmed, given the breadth and depth of the sensitive information Sony has seen exposed lately, the spoiler information could be genuine. Early commentary suggests that some of the script notes by Sony in emails are based on an early draft by John Logan, before Neal Purvis and Robert Wade were brought in to re-write, and many of the sub-plots have since changed.

There have been no reports of entire scripts being leaked, yet.

Given Sam Mendes and EON's hard work at keeping a lot of the SPECTRE reveal secret up until the last minute, disappointment must be high that their distribution partner could have let the proverbial white cat out of the bag.

I honestly do not know how much to blame Sony for this. I do not know what security they had in place. It is just sad.
    You do want the cat? ;) You are amusing me today, @Birdleson.

I do care that stuff is leaked. I will do my best to avoid it.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I like the cat.
    The one in YOLT was the best. He projected that sense of urgency.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited December 2014 Posts: 5,080
    If I may add my thoughts-

Firstly, I'd love to see the cat. Preferably with fur. Don't want to give into popular trends and go sans-fur.

Joking aside, the current Sony leaks are massive spoilers. I do believe that they are genuine (it isn't just Spectre that is being targeted). But I do think,to protect the integrity of this forum, to be responsible, I think any illegal links to the aforementioned leaks should be removed from posts. There's a difference between the kind of leaks we had before the press announcement, partcularly regarding casting decisions and what have you, and the illegal leaks that we are currently witnessing.
    I love cats. I think the only reason why someone would not want a cat with Blofeld because it is now the stereotype of Blofeld.

I am older than almost everyone here, and if I say I don't care about leaks and stuff I do mean it the same way I think you do, @Birdleson. Rat's ass and all. :D
    I just think it is a shame for the people whose personal info has been put on the internet, and it is a shame for Mendes and EON (all involved) to have their story leaked (if indeed parts, even tiny bits, are true).

I don't want any spoiler info from those hacked emails on this forum. I will do my best not to read any of that. When I say I do care, what I mean is that it is wrong that people's personal info is spread around like free candy and spoilers sent out in public regarding the film. I really do not care to have much further info on SPECTRE at all, including I don't follow box office returns. I'm glad Skyfall was such a huge hit because it benefits, indeed gives security, to the franchise. But I don't track or get excited about box office, no.
    I would be happy with a nice, furry, white cat - but kept at a minimum.
    I would be happy without a cat, but with a reference to one.

This is not a make or break for me. :)

Look, whenever Blofeld shows up, as long as he does not carry the same look as Donald's Blofeld or Austin Powers' spoof, if they can make him genuinely menacing and more unique, then I am more than happy for him to also have a white cat.
    Thanks for being here, @Birdleson; I mean that. And I'm not clicking on any spoiler threads any more. I can guarantee you I will do my best to keep all spoiler stuff off of this thread (I do sleep at times, at work at times, so am not here 100% of the time ... though it feels like it some days). I want us to be free to speculate on our own, with the info that is released by EON and on set photos, things like that. I will be diligent with this thread, believe me.

:-t
    And anybody reading this take note of all I am saying today. :-B There will be no posting ON THIS ORIGINALS THREAD of hacked email leaks, Sony leaks, sources quoting back to the Sony leaks, any speculation sourced to any tabloid either. I read that CNN is reading all this junk. So they will publish some things. I don't want anything of that here. Nada.

Just keep in mind: Here is for us to give our opinions, wishes, speculation, and share many things about SPECTRE and Bond. Think twice before discussing any rumor or sharing any link for further info on SPECTRE on this Originals thread. Hope I am clear enough. Thanks!
    All I have to say is, no CAT, no BOX OFFICE! The cat is key.
    You what I'd love? I'd love to see the now famous GRUMPY CAT. :)
  • 3:-O :@) ~:> :bz

We have a variety of livestock available to us, but no cat -- grumpy or otherwise.
    Indeed lacking cats in the emoticons!
    Here is the little guy I'd like to see. His expression could say a million things about Blofeld, couldn't it?
    grumpy-cat-soundtrack-758x758.jpg
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Grumpy Cat could work. But, she would have to fly to England and I understand they have strict quarantine rules for bringing pet across the pond.
    Please no cat. I worry about the little thing. the way Sean kicked the crap out of that cat and caused it to be covered in blood (anyone remember that scene!)
    What became of the cat in YOLT when the volcano was destroyed? Poor little thing.
    And what about when Piz Gloria was blown sky high?
    Hate to think the furry little companion bought it. =((
    I do NOT remember Sean kicking any cat, and that makes me sick to think of that. Geez! What film? So I can avoid it. If it is a Bond film, I have already blocked it out.
    I always think animals escape in dire circumstances, just because I have to think that. Otherwise it bothers me forever.
    I do NOT remember Sean kicking any cat
    In DAF he sort of put his foot underneath the stunt cat & hoisted it into the air.
    OK, I truly don't remember it. I thought OHMSS69 was serious about the blood. :-w
    Allright then, I won't worry about it.

=)) You are funny, @Birdleson.

(or ARE you ... ?!) >:)
    All right then, any other Originals care to answer our 3 set questions? I hope so. :)
    And please do give us your thoughts regarding the Sony leaks.

I am re-posting the 3 questions here, and tomorrow I will do a summary of what our Originals think about the new Bond film - principal photography underway now! :-bd - SPECTRE:

Question #1: Are you happy that the title is SPECTRE? Why or why not.

Question #2: How do you feel about SPECTRE returning in this film?

Question #3: Do you want Blofeld in this film, or perhaps only hinted at towards the end of this one, in full glory in Bond 25? Or never again?

So after this summary and discussion, we will move on to a few new questions about the cast and characters in SPECTRE. But that is later tomorrow. Should be fun!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Question #1: Are you happy that the title is SPECTRE? Why or why not.

I'm happy enough. Ian Fleming had a way with titles that was quite unique. Even some of his rejected book titles like The Belles Of Hell were perfectly acceptable, and rarely did he create a duff title.

So, I can understand why the film makers plunder Fleming for new titles - The World Is Not Enough, GoldenEye and now Spectre.

When they go it alone they come up with titles like Tomorrow Never Dies, which sounds like Benson trying to come up with a Fleming title and failing badly (the original Tomorrow Never Lies was much better). And of course Die Another Day (again this would have been better had it been Live To Die Another Day)

So, yes I'm ok with Spectre, but much more excited that the thing is finally under way.

Question #2: How do you feel about SPECTRE returning in this film?

I was always far more interested in Bond himself. How he equips himself, how he develops and changes from film to film. Most of the other stuff is neither here nor there for me. Window dressing. I like to see a good film, but I have never looked back with misty eyed regret that Spectre or Blofeld disappeared. The only time I punched the air with glee at something being resurrected was when they finally made a proper screen version of Casino Royale.

I do hope though that they tie Spectre in with Quantum and thus link all four of Craig's films together in one big story arc. Mr White's re-appearance suggests this will happen.

Question #3: Do you want Blofeld in this film, or perhaps only hinted at towards the end of this one, in full glory in Bond 25? Or never again?
    The jaw dropping way they changed Blofeld so dramatically from one film to another in the 60s and early 70s robbed him of any sense of true identity. It was like a different villain altogether when Savalas morphed into Charles Grey. As a result I don't see Blofeld as Bond's Moriarty which I believe should be the case.

So, none of the above :-)
    Thanks very much for joining us, @NicNac. And as an Original, your answers will count in our poll. It's really great to have you back with us. :)

But, Nic ... I haven't had my evening Sangria yet, so I don't know why I am getting some fuzzy thinking here, but I have to ask for clarification on your answer to Question #3. I think you are saying that Blofeld has been portrayed in so many different ways, you don't believe he can be at this point Bond's be Moriarty, even though you would like that. So ... doesn't your answer fit as "never again"? Don't bring Blofeld back. Just asking. Thanks for letting me know sometime in the next 10 hours, if you can.

I'm very pleased indeed with the number of Originals participating in this round. Thanks, gents! You are the ones who truly make this thread the special place it is; that is the truth. And I'm going to work hard to keep this thread spoiler free, relevant, and fun. Talk with you tomorrow. I'll soon be I-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    When it comes to Cats, I think Havelock Vetinari sums it up quite nicely when considering his aunt's cat in Terry Pretchett's Discworld novel Night Watch:
    “Havelock sighed, but inwardly, because he respected his aunt. He just wished she was a bit more sensible about cats. He felt instinctively that if you were going to fondle a cat while discussing matters of intrigue, then it should be a long-haired white one. It shouldn’t be an elderly street tom with irregular bouts of flatulence.”

On the information leak: professionally I'd say we'll see far more of the sort, as journalists have little scrupules when using illegal sources, and hackers can't be stopped. You can make it hard for them, but defence is always harder, as you're basically waiting for the attacker to make the first move just so you have an idea of what's coming next. As long as machines are physically linked (or through wireless networks) there will always be ways to tap into them illigally.

Let this be a reminder to all to protect yourself as much as is reasonably possible (risk assessment).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thanks very much for joining us, @NicNac. And as an Original, your answers will count in our poll. It's really great to have you back with us. :)

But, Nic ... I haven't had my evening Sangria yet, so I don't know why I am getting some fuzzy thinking here, but I have to ask for clarification on your answer to Question #3. I think you are saying that Blofeld has been portrayed in so many different ways, you don't believe he can be at this point Bond's be Moriarty, even though you would like that. So ... doesn't your answer fit as "never again"? Don't bring Blofeld back. Just asking. Thanks for letting me know sometime in the next 10 hours, if you can.

I'm very pleased indeed with the number of Originals participating in this round. Thanks, gents! You are the ones who truly make this thread the special place it is; that is the truth. And I'm going to work hard to keep this thread spoiler free, relevant, and fun. Talk with you tomorrow. I'll soon be I-)

Ah, ermm, yes. I didn't realise it was a poll, so apologies for my non committal.

I most definitely don't want him to be absent, never to return. I don't mind Blofeld, I just felt he was a missed opportunity (back in the day).

So my vote would be to hint at him and have him burst forth in Bond 25. :-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 13,894
    As a non-fan (my first cinema Bond was Tomorrow Never Dies)...

#1: No. It's fine for the name of the group/oranisation. But for the title of the film, it's very uninspired. The Propery Of A Lady, Risico and The Hilderbrand Rarity and much better titles than Spectre, imo.

#2 My feelings are the same for answer #3, that would depend on how the organisation has been reimagined.

#3: If EON are basing his llok on the literary counterpart, yes. If he's going to look like an investment banker (called Charles, drives an Audi and whom is a member of the golf club*) in a suit, then no.

*I'm not suggesting that peole called Charles, own an Audi and happen to be golf cub members are power hungry megalomaniacs.