SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited December 2014 Posts: 7,978

*I'm not suggesting that peole called Charles, own an Audi and happen to be golf cub members are power hungry megalomaniacs.

Your most undesirable comment will be put foreward to the nr.1 Charles. His action shall be swift.

Edit: as none have posted later, and remembering @SirHenry is part of this thread, i came across an old threat and his reactions sure made me chuckle:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/8008/male-privilege-in-the-bond-era#latest

#1-SPECTRE

When SF was announced as the title, speculation ran rampant as to what Skyfall was or meant. With this well-chosen title, every Bond fan knows what it means.

#2-THE RETURN OF SPECTRE

The Craig films reflect the gritty realism of DN & FRWL. Those films were darker, more violent, and less humorous than the films that followed. However, the Craig films seem to owe more to the Bourne films than the Bond films themselves. The re-introduction of SPECTRE is a chance to connect to the Bond film history. If a true re-boot, then Bond will meet SPECTRE for the first time. The opportunity exists to create consistency and continuity instead of turning the organization into a parody headed by the cartoon Blofelds we saw in YOLT, DAF, and FYEO only.

#3-THE RETURN OF BLOFELD

Since this is a rebooted series, then Blofeld can be introduced for the first time. I am fine with that. I prefer he not be someone from Bond's past. I really dislike the "We were friends or acquaintances once, but now I am Blofeld." That cryptic message could be a lost letter from Vesper pointing toward Blofeld. As in the novels, Blofeld can be Bond's nemesis for a while, before Bond finally dispatches him. It doesn't matter to me if he's killed at the end of the first film or in a later film. Just don't clown it up as was done in FYEO.

The opportunity exists to get this series right. Craig can lighten up a bit and the series can become a little more fanciful without going into space and becoming silly to the point of embarrassment. What the producers should never lose sight of, if we want Jason Bourne and Austin Powers, those franchises already exist. We want Bond because he reminds us of the history of Bond films, not some copy of another series, parodies of other films, or parodies of the Bond films themselves.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well said @CrabKey! I'm right there with ya!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As a non-fan (my first cinema Bond was Tomorrow Never Dies)...

If that was the first I saw of Bond I might have been a non-fan as well.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Fortunately, my first films were GF, DN, YOLT and TB in the '60s.
    You punk! I had to wait until 1971 to see my first Bond!!
    :-O
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 13,894
    As a non-fan (my first cinema Bond was Tomorrow Never Dies)...

If that was the first I saw of Bond I might have been a non-fan as well.

Slip of the fingers, meant non-original fan. #-o
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I saw DAF at the drive-in in 1971. My mother started taking me in '65 (double feature of GF and DN), I was just under three years old.
    Wow. And I had to bitch and moan to see DAF at all...
    :-?? Luckily by the time I was 13 I could see whatever movie I wanted (thanks to the all-important bike-lock!)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Getting up this morning now; it's nice to see posts. Sad to see leaks happening still, but on this thread we are safe. B-)
    And in pretty darn good shape, I must say. Thanks to everybody for your contributions.

First of all, I must say: @Birdleson, you saw Brosnan in DAD in 1971? Wow! You really are an interesting timetraveller who can take things with you back in time! Awesome. :D Did you like it any better back then? No, I didn't think so.

Thanks ever so much to @CrabKey giving answers to our set questions and for @MajorDSmythe also participating (nonOriginal is fine; nonfan had me a tad confused for a moment).

And I'll throw in my two cents on TND - it is one of my fav Bond films, yeah, and if it was my first I would still be a huge Bond fan today. Definitely.

Moving along now ... @CommanderRoss, that quote about a cat was great. Thanks for sharing - that made me smile, how very well known "a white cat with long hair being stroked" is Blofeld so firmly in many people's minds. ;) In fact, I feel inspired, so I just have to post this:

In a short while, I will sum up our Originals' answers to the questions.
    Back in a just a short while. Carry on!
    I think you need to reread my post. It says DAF, not DAD
    Umm, actually it says DAD; when I quoted you I changed it to DAF knowing what you'd meant to type...
    :\">
    Birdleson, I am just having some fun with you, no worries. :)>-
    I make typos nearly every single time I try to post; probably more than most folks as I type fast and just don't proof things often enough.

Anyway, I am trying now to tally up our Originals answers and will try to get that finished before I head off to work. Back in just a while with that ...
    We all knew you meant DAF; no problem.
    Meanwhile, I would rather be cautious than not ... and in my effort to ward off spam and spoilers, especially illegally obtained crap whether speculation or firm, I have decided I will post this notice somewhere on every page of this thread for a while (while we are under siege from hacked leaks being rampant at least ). Those of you who have already read this, you can just glance at it and do carry on. Thanks!

smiley-soldier-saluting.gif

ONGOING NOTICE: And anybody reading this take note of all I am saying today. There will be no posting ON THIS ORIGINALS THREAD of hacked email leaks, Sony leaks, sources quoting back to the Sony leaks, any speculation sourced to any tabloid either. I read that CNN is reading all this junk. So they will publish some things. I don't want anything of that here. Nada.

Just keep in mind: Here is for us to give our opinions, wishes, speculation, and share many things about SPECTRE and Bond - based on our own experiences and with official EON information given to us (such as from the recent photocall and interviews). Think twice before discussing any rumor or sharing any link for further info on SPECTRE on this Originals thread. Hope I am clear enough. Thanks!
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I saw DAD at the drive-in in 1971. My mother started taking me in '65 (double feature of GF and DN), I was just under three years old.

I think that's another slip of the fingers. If you saw DAD in 1971, you beat the rest of us by 3 decades! (Obviously, you meant DAF!)
    All right, here is where this stands. I have had interruptions (normal life stuff) and will post the Originals summary this afternoon, in about 6 hours from now (middle of the night or morning for you, dear readers, perhaps). I promise to do that, but I would like for you all to move on to our next round.

Therefore, here are 3 questions for our next category of discussion concerning the film now being made, SPECTRE:

01.jpg

The CAST AND CHARACTERS of SPECTRE

Question #1:  Were there any surprises for you regarding the announced actors and actresses? If so, what do you think of those that surprised you. PLUS your overall feelings about the entire cast, please.

Question #2: With two Bond girls of different ages and types, what do you want their characters to be like? In just general terms. Villainess, romantic involvement, sexual fling, friend, adversary, fellow agent, business leader, thorn in Bond's side but harmless, a lamb to be rescued, etc. Just broadly speaking. (Oh there is an unintended pun!)

Question #3: Do you think Blofeld is part of this current cast, as we know it today? If so, please give your thoughts on which actor/actress may be Blofeld. You can run with this a bit. Our own speculation here is welcome.

There you have it - your next mission, fellow (and sister) agents. Thanks for continuing on. I really look forward to coming back here in a bit and reading your thoughts about the cast of SPECTRE, as well as posting the poll/summary for our first 3 questions. Again, everybody may participate here - nonOriginals, too - but only the Originals' answers will be part of the poll.

Cheers!

Question #1:  Were there any surprises for you regarding the announced actors and actresses? My yes! I was SO surprised to see Monica! OMG I've wanted her to be a Bond girl Lady for the LONGEST time! I thought they'd never get her! The rest of the cast is solid! No complaints, all top shelf. Edit to add: Jesper is a freakin' surprise and a half! To wrap up Quantum in any shape or form is more than I ever expected!

Question #2: With two Bond girls of different ages and types, what do you want their characters to be like? In just general terms. I want Monica to be the love interest, so naturally she won't be. But I'm okay with that, as long as she's IN the movie.

Question #3: Do you think Blofeld is part of this current cast, as we know it today? I suspect he's Waltz, but he could be Scott. But I wouldn't put it past them to pull a gender flip & make Monica the Big B. So, yes.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Question #1: Were there any surprises for you regarding the announced actors and actresses? Monica was a surprise to me. They kept her under wraps well until the very end. I am pleasantly surprised they casted someone of her age. At least it shows that Mendes is not going to copy SF, but will take a totally different approach with SPECTRE (so it won't be MR following TSWLM) which is a good thing.. Andrew Scott was also a big surprise. He has to be a baddy.

Question #2: With two Bond girls of different ages and types, what do you want their characters to be like? In just general terms. Lea has an agent look about her - but a friendly agent look. So I think she will be assisting Bond throughout the movie or vice versa - and she's the first blond since TLD! Monica looks a little more like she could be the bad one in this film. A SPECTRE associate or #2.

Question #3: Do you think Blofeld is part of this current cast, as we know it today? I believe (or hope) that he has either not been casted, or that he has in fact been casted and that he has not been revealed in the cast list yet (and will be a surprise no-credit in the theatre). I would prefer that it is not Waltz. as I want Waltz's Oberhauser to have his own tragic arc in this movie.

I know it won't be him, but I'd like Jeremy Irons for Blofeld. Right level of smarts and gravitas.
  • Question #1: Were there any surprises for you regarding the announced actors and actresses? Monica Belluci was definitely a surprise, and the return of Mr. White was a mild, though pleasant, one too.

Question #2: With two Bond girls of different ages and types, what do you want their characters to be like? In just general terms. I imagine Lea will be the Bond girl and Monica will be a good guy, probably connected to her in some way. There's a good chance one of them will die. Hopefully Bond will be with Lea in the end.

Question #3: Do you think Blofeld is part of this current cast, as we know it today?
    Not sure, really. I definitely believe he'll be in the film but am not so sure that he's currently announced.

On a completely separate note, did @Kerim ever review the Brosnan and Craig Bond movies?
    Almost my lunch time here at work. Will work on getting the poll results done in a bit.
    Meanwhile, thanks for getting us rolling on our new set of questions, @chrisisall, @soundofhesinners, and @bondjames.

And @Birdleson, your comments are still important, so thanks for discussing this a bit with us, even if you don't feel like giving more detailed specific answers.

More to come ... :>
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Question #1: Were there any surprises for you regarding the announced actors and actresses? Monica Belluci was definitely a surprise, and the return of Mr. White was a mild, though pleasant, one too.

Question #2: With two Bond girls of different ages and types, what do you want their characters to be like? In just general terms. I imagine Lea will be the Bond girl and Monica will be a good guy, probably connected to her in some way. There's a good chance one of them will die. Hopefully Bond will be with Lea in the end.

Question #3: Do you think Blofeld is part of this current cast, as we know it today?
    Not sure, really. I definitely believe he'll be in the film but am not so sure that he's currently announced.

On a completely separate note, did @Kerim ever review the Brosnan and Craig Bond movies?

I only got as far as GoldenEye. Just haven't had the time to finish the rest of the films.
    Ahem! Here are the results from our poll of Original Fans. :-B

A hearty round of applause to the 9 Originals participating in this first round of SPECTRE questions. They are: Kerim, OHMSS69, Birdleson, chrisisall, NicNac, CrabKey, Lancaster007, BeatlesSansEarmuffs, and myself of course (4EverBonded). That is a higher number than usual, I am pleased to say. Very happy for all who contributed, including nonOriginals, who gave fine contributions - there were some really excellent, thoughtful posts in this opening round (and our regular dose of humor, too). =D>

Question #1: Are you happy that the title is SPECTRE? Why or why not.
    It was a mixture of strong, very happy reactions to more tempered ones that still like it in a satisfactory enough way, just not crazy about it at first.
    5 Originals were immediately satisfied and happy indeed with this title right off the bat. Sample comments included "wow!" "perfect" "well chosen title" "Happy, yes" "happy enough."
    4 Originals were satisfied but more moderate and said things like "warmed up to it" (that's me), "of two minds ... a qualified yes" "mixed feelings ... I'm okay with it" and "a little disappointed ... won't lose sleep over it"
    No Original said they truly hated the title, were really very unhappy with it, rejected it, or stalked off to create SPECTREisnotagoodBondtitle.com.

Question #2: How do you feel about SPECTRE returning in this film?
    4 Originals were very excited about SPECTRE being in this Bond film. Descriptions used were such as: "absolutely thrilled" "enthusiastic" "perfectly fine with it" "it feels like the right time to have SPECTRE in this Bond's world" (me)

4 Originals were not as strongly excited right off the bat, but happy enough with SPECTRE being in this film if done well; so a slightly qualified green light. They said things like "Hopefully this SPECTRE will closer resemble the SPECTRE of the books" " If they do the Blofeld character justice, I'll be happy" "hope though that they tie Spectre in with Quantum and thus link all four of Craig's films together in one big story arc" "The re-introduction of SPECTRE is a chance to connect to the Bond film history"

And 1 Original was the least enthusiastic, and did not elaborate much, simply saying "If we must bring in SPECTRE lets deal with it after Quantum is finally closed. "

Question #3: Do you want Blofeld in this film, or perhaps only hinted at towards the end of this one, in full glory in Bond 25? Or never again? This was unanimous! Though some were more specific or adamant than others, all 9 Originals' answers came under the heading of "partial or at the end of the film". So not full out as Blofeld throughout the film, and not removed from it entirely. A hint perhaps with the reveal closer to the end, to carry on (we surely assume) with Bond 25. I get the sense that it would need to be done in the second half at least, not earlier, to satisfy this group of Originals. Comments ranged as: "prefer to have Blofeld unveiled at the end of this one" "Hint/partially show now, kill later" "would like to see Christoph Waltz phase into Blofeld" "would like his reveal toward the end, just as Craig became Bond in CR" " we’ll see Blofeld as a shadowy presence for most of this film, who will be revealed in all his glory in the next" " the 'Waltz is not Blofeld' and 'Blofeld will only feature in a cameo at the end' theories are pretty sound" "it really makes sense for Blofeld to be more slowly revealed and perhaps not until halfway through or even at the end of this film" (me), "hint at him and have him burst forth in Bond 25" and "It doesn't matter to me if he's killed at the end of the first film or in a later film. Just don't clown it up as was done in FYEO"

Very well done, Originals. And again, all participants (nonOriginals, too) made valuable comments. Please continue to join us here. :-bd

Onward to our next set of questions. It is a rather splendid cast, isn't it? I am more excited than ever about this film we now know is called SPECTRE.
    Ah, @Kerim, I love all of your excellent and witty reviews and was so happy you returned and made it through Goldeneye (one of my favorites).
    If you do ever have time, you are so very welcome to still do the reviews for the rest of the films, and I would then add your scores into the Originals' official rankings ... yes, I would, in your case; because you were with us from the very beginning with Greg. But no pressure. If you cannot finish them, that is completely acceptable. Please do just continue on with us now on this Bond journey with Originals, whenever you can, and I hope that is often. :)>-
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Question #1:
    A few nice surprises, best of all Monica Bellucci, who should have been snapped up years ago. Gorgeous.
    Not sure about the wrestler chappie (never heard of him) and his character name, as has been pointed out here by many, is frankly awful.

Question #2: I hope that Monica Bellucci is the main Bond girl (closer to Dan in age - I think) and Lea the sacrificial lamb. But whichever way round the girls are I just want Bond to end up with her in the end. Please. Lea could even be a villain, she played that part well in MI:4.

Question #3: I'm hoping that Blofeld will be an unnamed and unseen (until the end of the film) actor a la FRWL and TB - that I would like. We could have a cross-cutting scene where he is revealed while Bond is enjoying his jollies with Monica!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Question #1:
    The cast didn't surprise me in the sense that it's a pretty heterogeneous bunch and that's precisely what they've been going for in recent times. None of these people are true A++ listers at the moment - even Monica isn't at the peak of her career now - but that's the way I prefer it. When they went with the likes of Denise, Halle or even Teri, I felt they wanted the extra "fame" bonus just to bring in a larger crowd. That said, Waltz was in two highly acclaimed Tarantino films, Seydoux played in a tremendously successful M:I film, Bautista could be seen in this Summer's biggest blockbuster and the MI6 folks were, obviously, in one of the most successful Bond films ever. So even if they're not going with in-your-face Hollywood biggies, there's enough face and name recognition to make people's light bulbs flash.
    This is the kind of casts I like for a Bond film: diverse, not performing in twelve other films this year but still somewhat familiar.

Question #2:
    I've been so wrong in the past, I hardly dare to enter my thoughts here. But if I must, I'd imagine Seydoux to be a good girl (even when she's baaaad), with Monica playing perhaps a more balanced role. She could easily start from an unlikely position, like one of SPECTRE's leading vixens, and turn into a reluctant ally. I may be working from traditional Bond formula here. I'm not good at this. ;-)

Question #3:
    The obvious choice would be Waltz of course but I don't know. I have suggested before that Blofeld might once again be 'reduced' to the man with no face whom we only hear and partially see as a vague shape in a chair. I don't think Blofeld would be revealed to us. It can't be Andrew though. If that's what they're going for - he's been under your nose the entire time - I call plagiarism. Some of you will know what I'm talking about. ;-)
    Cast is an interesting mix. Not too trendy. Could work well. Hope they are more conscientious about the plot holes than last time. It would be nice to have a true Bond girl through out the film a well as an innocent lamb. I'm in the camp that thinks Blofeld should be handled the same way he was in FRWL and TB. (Not bald, with or with out cat) a mysterious presence who's minions, like Red Grant are worthy villain's on there own. I find it very interesting that the director has set his films at the end of Bonds career whereas theCR and QOS are at the beginning. Opens up a bit nostalgia for us just like the DB-5 in SF. Not happy about Newman but what the heck. (Never been fond of substituting melody with drum beats and echoes of the Nolan Batman scores in a Bond film....just to trendy for my old ears.)
    Very good comments by @Lancaster007, @DarthDimi, and @delfloria. Thanks!

And a want to say a special welcome to you, delfloria, as I know you are an Original fan, too. Glad you are here. If you would care to put your response into the form of some basic (brief is fine) answers to the three current questions, then I can include your thoughts in this poll. I'd really like to do that (just not 100% clear I can extract the answers you would like from your above comment).

Lancaster, I'm supremely happy that Monica is in this one, too! :) We heard hours before the photocall that she and Andrew Scott may be in it, but I am still counting both as surprises for me. With Monica, a huge great wonderful surprise. With Andrew, hey it's nice and okay (just don't make him a hidden villain a la Sherlock series). I'll put more of my thoughts on that later on today.

Both delfloria and DarthDimi made good points about this cast not being too trendy. I do agree. And I think that is a good thing. I think going with the current "hot" actor or actress is too tempting, not necessarily smart at all, and look at the Brosnan years where that was done too often and not to the benefit of the series, in my opinion (Paris, Christmas Jones, Jinx in particular). They really got it right in GE with Isabella Scorupco (Famke, too, come to think of it). I have a very good feeling about Monica and Lea, about this entire cast actually. I am assuming Bautista will fill out his role satisfactorily, with Mendes helming this (and Mendes having a hand in the script).

I will post my answers later today. Meanwhile, please do enjoy your time here on this spoiler free thread and discuss the wonderful cast of SPECTRE any way you'd like! Answering the 3 questions is helpful, for our poll especially if you are an Original, but all discussion (by nonOriginals, too) about cast is timely and fun.

I'll chime in later. Carry on, folks! :>
  • @Kerim, like @4EverBonded said, it would be great to hear your reviews of the modern Bonds, whenever you get a chance. And maybe then @chrisisall could do the earlier Bonds, but that's up to 4EverBonded and him.
    maybe then @chrisisall could do the earlier Bonds, but that's up to 4EverBonded and him.
    If anyone wants. I just finished a marathon so most are fresh in my mind. I'll tell ya right now, DN & FRWL are higher up on my list than they've ever been!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    maybe then @chrisisall could do the earlier Bonds, but that's up to 4EverBonded and him.
    If anyone wants. I just finished a marathon so most are fresh in my mind. I'll tell ya right now, DN & FRWL are higher up on my list than they've ever been!

I'd sure like it, but then I'm not an original, much less the lovely lady in charge of this thread.
    @chrisisall, I forgot you did not do the earlier ones! If you have the time, we (more than just me) would sincerely love to have your reviews of those Bond films. Thanks for considering that. :) You could post them anytime. Like an extra Christmas present for us all (even if delivered throughout the New Year) :-bd
    Dr. No retro review

BOND- 30 year old Connery, so young and green, fresh from Darby O'Gill. It's amazing really, how he was up to the task of taking on a starring roll like this so masterfully. Young deserves a heck of a lot of credit for his guidance as well as basically helping to create the Bond we'd be seeing for years to come. 5/5

WOMEN- Eunice Gayson played Sylvia (she also appears in From Russia With Love but sadly her recurring role was dropped after that), the first person to elicit the famous "Bond. James Bond" from Connery. Like Roger Moore, she had that eyebrow mojo, but in the feminine way. Very 50's hot. Ursula Andress was the woman of the future, a solid 60's siren who set the standard for Bond girls almost too high. 5/5

VILLAINS- Dent is a good minor roadblock for OO7, but it is Dr. No that steals the show as Joseph Wiseman delivers a remarkably subtle and effective performance. What could have been cartoonish seems very real and sinister in the hands of this actor & the director. 5/5

HUMOR- Dr. No is sprinkled with dots of wit throughout. The famous one-liner was crafted here in the likes of "I think they were on their way to a funeral." after the hearse explodes. Ahhh, the days of delicious restraint! 4.5/5

ACTION- Car chases were generally sped up or rear projected due to time & budgetary restraints leaving one a bit *meh*, but the hand to hand confrontations are all very well staged and executed. The lair destruction is suitably explosive, given the era and available dollars. 3.5/5

SADISM- Shooting ladies in the chest, shooting Dent in the arse, burning Quarrel, beating Bond as an after-dinner treat, staking down the heroine to drown... there's a useful six letter word, and this film is full of it. 5/5

MUSIC- Monty Norman provides a standard 50's thriller score, but a young fellow named Barry composed a theme on a mere description of the film that would go on to make history. By comparison, Norman blew. 2/5

LOCATIONS- The absolute most is made of Jamaica, its beaches and lush vegetation. London looks fine. The palate is a bit limited but deeply explored. 4/5

GADGETS- What gadgets? We don't gotta show you no stinkin' gadgets!
    Well, maybe a Geiger counter.
    Dr. No's lair, on the other hand, is very impressive, especially for the time the film was made. It's like one huge gadget. 2/5

SUPPORTING CAST- Our intro to M was stellar, John Kitzmiller's Quarrel was outstanding, Lord's Felix was excellent. 5/5

OVERALL SCORE AND RECOLLECTIONS- Only a bit of scope and a full Barry score keep this from being a perfect movie. 41/50