The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He wanted his third to be more fun. Makes you wonder if he would have gone more for that approach.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    With the flying robots and all, I don't think it would've been any good. But, I'm very vocal in saying in this: We were robbed. We could've had two more Bonds with him in '91 and '93.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,532
    With the flying robots and all, I don't think it would've been any good. But, I'm very vocal in saying in this: We were robbed. We could've had two more Bonds with him in '91 and '93.

The robotics angle gets blown way out of proportion by fans and probably wouldn't have made it into the film.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,682
    There's a pulpy cigarette video commercial of Dalton also promoting the same brand Brosnan did back in the eighties and early nineties. Lark, I believe. Moore also did a commercial for them in '85. Dalton was fantastic in that ad even though the piece itself was a bit cheesy due to the villain.

Indeed, Dalton is superb in that commercial as a more "traditional" Bond!

Regarding the Roger Moore Lark commercial, if you're talking about the one set in Venice, I think that's probably from the late eighties, close to 1990 even. He looks like he did in Bullseye!, which was released in 1990. A bit fuller in the face than in AVTAK.
    Edit: 1988, says the worldwide web.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 613
    Remington wrote: »

The robotics angle gets blown way out of proportion by fans and probably wouldn't have made it into the film.

To my understanding, it only appears in the story treatment by Alfonse Ruggiero & Michael Wilson. When the treatment was expanded into a screenplay by Will Osborne & Will Davies, the robots were tossed out.

Dalton really liked the Osborne/Davies script and wanted to do it.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

To my understanding, it only appears in the story treatment by Alfonse Ruggiero & Michael Wilson. When the treatment was expanded into a screenplay by Will Osborne & Will Davies, the robots were tossed out.

I think they appeared in the pre-title sequence but that's it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    uh... very happy and very overwhelmed by my last viewing of TLD... more to come in the Bondathon thread.

Was that the script that was auctioned sometime ago?
    Yes.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The look definitely suits him

The robots always worried me until i read how they were to be used. The concept didnt actually seem that bad
    Getafix wrote: »

The robots always worried me until i read how they were to be used. The concept didnt actually seem that bad

Yeah. It wasn't Terminator type shit for the most part. It was more "realistic".
    While the robots may seem a bit outlandish, I never felt that the end result would have seemed out of the ordinary for Bond. I think the robots would have been quite tame compared to, say, Bond going into space or anything from the Roger era.

I really like the concept of the un-filmed B17 and most certainly would have seen it in the cinema multiple times back in 91/92.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    doompatrol_s1_teaser_chief_1296x1920_f.jpg

Terrific!
    Tim looks so bad a$$ I think could be playing Bond now in his '70s.
    Damn he looks cool in that poster.
    Timothy Dalton for James Bond number 7. He's got my vote. Best candidate so far.
    I bet Dalton could have made a great M, based on that poster above! Put him behind that desk and I wouldn't be surprised to see a (modern) Bernard Lee like performance.
    I bet Dalton could have made a great M, based on that poster above! Put him behind that desk and I wouldn't be surprised to see a (modern) Bernard Lee like performance.

True. I've always thought that. But I'd rather see him as Bond until he dies of a very advanced age.
    Univex wrote: »

True. I've always thought that. But I'd rather see him as Bond until he dies of a very advanced age.

He could still play an older Bond for sure!

I'd love that. But failing that, I'd take him starring in his very own spy franchise. He'd be fantastic.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,241
    mattjoes wrote: »

I'd love that. But failing that, I'd take him starring in his very own spy franchise. He'd be fantastic.

No doubt! Would be interesting to see him play a veteran spy. Doesn't even need to be a blockbuster kind of thing, but maybe something of a mix between Bond and John le Carré?

No doubt! Would be interesting to see him play a veteran spy. Doesn't even need to be a blockbuster kind of thing, but maybe something of a mix between Bond and John le Carré?

I'd pay good money to see that happen!

Really glad Dalton joined a popular franchise. In this case, it's DC.

I'd pay good money to see that happen!

So would I!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Funny, I seem to have developed a sudden interest in superhero comics...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Congratulations on third place in the James Bond elimination game. Up one spot since 2016.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Congratulations on third place in the James Bond elimination game. Up one spot since 2016.
    He's up one spot in my personal rankings since then too, coincidentally.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    bondjames wrote: »

I can only applaud that dear @bondjames
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

I can only applaud that dear @bondjames
    Thanks @JeremyBondon. I just visited that thread now (I haven't been participating) and noticed that the eliminated parties mirror my own rankings exactly. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Sean/Rog duel.