The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondsum wrote: »
    THE LION IN WINTER has perhaps my favourite John Barry score.
    Outside of Bond, I’d have to agree with you on TLIW. I’m also quite partial to Barry’s King Kong score, which I think is bloody fantastic.
    IIRC, as stated in the book John Barry: The Man with the Midas Touch, the score of King Kong got very close to receiving an Academy Award nomination.

Ah, Hot Fuzz, one of the most brilliant modern comedies ever. Dalton is brilliant in it, love that film.
    -Arrest me, I must be stopped.
    -What?
    -Arrest me. I'm a slasher... of prices! Haha, Simon Skinner, I run the local supermarché.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Outside of Bond, I’d have to agree with you on TLIW. I’m also quite partial to Barry’s King Kong score, which I think is bloody fantastic.
    IIRC, as stated in the book John Barry: The Man with the Midas Touch, the score of King Kong got very close to receiving an Academy Award nomination.

Ah, Hot Fuzz, one of the most brilliant modern comedies ever. Dalton is brilliant in it, love that film.
    -What?
    -Arrest me. I'm a slasher... of prices! Haha, Simon Skinner, I run the local supermarché.

Comedy gold right there, that film is so incredibly rewatchable. I love the little details scattered throughout.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    One of the roles outside Bond I remember Dalton best from, is this one:

Had he stayed on as Bond, maybe we could have gotten a performance more in this vein eventually.

Crazy Bond? :-D
    Roadphill wrote: »

Had he stayed on as Bond, maybe we could have gotten a performance more in this vein eventually.

He looks like Christopher Plummer in this picture

Was there ever talk about Christopher Plummer as Bond?

Yes. I believe Chris Plummer was one of the early candidates before Connery got the role.

Interesting. Wonder how a Plummer Bond would be like.

Yes. I believe Chris Plummer was one of the early candidates before Connery got the role.

There are a couple of good examples of this. One is a 1966 or 67 WWII movie called Triple Cross in which he plays the Nazis and British against each other and gets in a lot of action and suave moments. Saw it several years ago and liked it.

He also got to do some action and pull off a suave character in Sir Charles Litton in Return of the Pink Panther, taking over David Niven's role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    BT3366 wrote: »

There are a couple of good examples of this. One is a 1966 or 67 WWII movie called Triple Cross in which he plays the Nazis and British against each other and gets in a lot of action and suave moments. Saw it several years ago and liked it.

He also got to do some action and pull off a suave character in Sir Charles Litton in Return of the Pink Panther, taking over David Niven's role.
    I'll second Triple Cross for a good read on Plummer. Coincidentally it's directed by Terence Young and stars Gert Forbe among other greats.

I've always been a fan of his. There's something a bit Burton'esque about him onscreen, but with a touch more refinement. He has polish and gravitas, but also a certain dark edge. Great actor.

bondjames wrote: »

I'll second Triple Cross for a good read on Plummer. Coincidentally it's directed by Terence Young and stars Gert Forbe among other greats.

I've always been a fan of his. There's something a bit Burton'esque about him onscreen, but with a touch more refinement. He has polish and gravitas, but also a certain dark edge. Great actor.

Definitely need to check out Tripple Cross and Return of the Pink Panther now! I've yet to watch either of those films.
    mattjoes wrote: »

-What?

Comedy gold right there, that film is so incredibly rewatchable. I love the little details scattered throughout.

Dalton is Oscar-worthy in that film. Seriously.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I love Hot Fuzz but unfortunately I find Shaun of the Dead and The World’s End a lot less satisfying.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I love Hot Fuzz but unfortunately I find Shaun of the Dead and The World’s End a lot less satisfying.

I have yet to watch Hot Fuzz because I didn't enjoy Shaun of the Dead at all, so that's oddly reassuring and encourages me to give it a go...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Agent_99 wrote: »

I have yet to watch Hot Fuzz because I didn't enjoy Shaun of the Dead at all, so that's oddly reassuring and encourages me to give it a go...

What I liked about it, except Tim’s great performance, is it’s more mysterious atmosphere and the fact it makes fun of a genre that I’m not all that fond of, the buddy cop film.

Normally I like parodies of genres that I like but in the case of the Wright/Pegg films, it’s the other way around. Strangely.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,272
    I think Hot Fuzz is (as far as I remember it – it's been a while) a bit like a buddy cop film meets Midsomer Murders and the mystery film genre.
    Normally I like parodies of genres that I like but in the case of the Wright/Pegg films, it’s the other way around. Strangely.

I like police comedies but not zombie movies, so it should work out the right way for me too!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I watched Framed with Dalton on YouTube. Really enjoyed it. It was three years after, but Dalton looked much better than he did in LTK. Must've been the haircut. He looked great and gave an awesome performance. Now I'm in even more pain about the fact that he didn't make two more films.
    Look at that Fan-Trailer for LTK (M:I Fallout Style), simply perfect in my opinion

Ahh... so much first rate action in that film. How did they market it so badly?
    God, what an awesome trailer.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That tanker trunk finale was one of the best.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Look at that Fan-Trailer for LTK (M:I Fallout Style), simply perfect in my opinion

Awesome
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Joe
    2b596d481a2296297d8098e09bfd44e5.jpg

William
    prs_519_william%20dalton-580f84fbb7429.jpg

Jack
    prs_518_jack%20dalton-581080af61627.jpg

Averell
    vignette_averell.jpg

Tim
    MV5BNDE5NDA1OTA4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE3NDk0NA@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
    Easy money, faithless women, redeye whisky for the pain.
    The latest episode of The James Bond Complex has a discussion about the first draft of GOLDENEYE and an unproduced story treatment, both written for Dalton when he was still the incumbent Bond:

https://anchor.fm/the-james-bond-complex
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    The latest episode of The James Bond Complex has a discussion about the first draft of GOLDENEYE and an unproduced story treatment, both written for Dalton when he was still the incumbent Bond:

Fascinating information here. I think I like this REUNION WITH DEATH concept more than TND or TWINE.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Fascinating information here. I think I like this REUNION WITH DEATH concept more than TND or TWINE.

I agree. There are things that I don't like (e.g., the same awkward tonal shifts that plagued the Brosnan era), but it could have developed into something really strong at the script level with some changes.

I definitely want to see the treatment's castle parapet battle (with samurai armor) in BOND 25.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In advertising, Pierce has played off of his image as Bond several times . Has Dalton ever done a spot where he does the same?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    In advertising, Pierce has played off of his image as Bond several times . Has Dalton ever done a spot where he does the same?
    Yes, there was a cigarette ad he had done that was very Bondian. It’s posted somewhere on this site.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 7,962
    Cool, thanks!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,423
    There's a pulpy cigarette video commercial of Dalton also promoting the same brand Brosnan did back in the eighties and early nineties. Lark, I believe. Moore also did a commercial for them in '85. Dalton was fantastic in that ad even though the piece itself was a bit cheesy due to the villain.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "Need a light?" Good one.

Dalton shows here that he could have been a more traditional cinematic Bond so to speak, had he chosen to. He nails that aspect as well.
    Yes, he does.
    I would think he felt more comfortable embracing that aspect of Bond for an advert than in an actual film; it wasn’t the portrayal he was going for during his tenure.
    It does show that he could have pulled it off. In what year was this done?
    1990, I think.