The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Ive said it before and I ll say it again. When Craig does finish I want Dalton back for a Logan style old man Bond. Just a one off but would be special I reckon.

I've been wanting this for years. I remember in the 90s rumours that mclory wanted him for warhead 2000. not that Dalts would have ever done it.

Well that's $20 at the box office already.

That's what you pay for a movie ticket?

No I pay pounds but Le Chiffre and Getafix both want to see a geriatric Dalton as Bond so I took a guess at $10 each? ;)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Ive said it before and I ll say it again. When Craig does finish I want Dalton back for a Logan style old man Bond. Just a one off but would be special I reckon.

I've been wanting this for years. I remember in the 90s rumours that mclory wanted him for warhead 2000. not that Dalts would have ever done it.

No I pay pounds but Le Chiffre and Getafix both want to see a geriatric Dalton as Bond so I took a guess at $10 each? ;)

Oh, okay! Because for a minute I was about to go full DAF PTS Connery. ;)
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I've grown to like Dalton more over the years and feel a bit sorry for the bloke in a way.

While he's not my favourite Bond his contribution to the series shouldn't be overlooked. At least he left the series in a relitively dignified manner (both onscreen and off) unlike other actors who have played the role ;)

Here's to Timmy :D

Here here.
    I'd pay 50 pounds or dollars to see Dalton as Bond one more time.
    I'd pay 50 pounds or dollars to see Dalton as Bond one more time.

I'd pay more!

So you're guessing (wrongly) we both live stateside?
    THE LION IN WINTER has perhaps my favourite John Barry score.
    Outside of Bond, I’d have to agree with you on TLIW. I’m also quite partial to Barry’s King Kong score, which I think is bloody fantastic.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondsum wrote: »
    THE LION IN WINTER has perhaps my favourite John Barry score.
    Outside of Bond, I’d have to agree with you on TLIW. I’m also quite partial to Barry’s King Kong score, which I think is bloody fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendation! It s been ages since I saw that movie. I think I disliked it too much to notice the score.

So you're guessing (wrongly) we both live stateside?

No not at all. It’s just that box office is often described in terms of dollars. Look it was only a joke. I’m sure a 70 year old Dalton as Bond would break the box office.
  • NicNac wrote: »
    I’m sure a 70 year old Dalton as Bond would break the box office.

At the very least it would make more money than KINGS and LOGAN LUCKY.

Escalus5 wrote: »

Didnt Logan Lucky do well at the box office then ? I havent seen it yet,its due on SKY in a few weeks.
    The jury is out.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    Didnt Logan Lucky do well at the box office then ?

Nope.

barryt007 wrote: »
    Didnt Logan Lucky do well at the box office then ?

Nope.

Interesting...Craig is not a bankable star by any means outside of Bond it seems.

Yes I’m sure it would. Hopefully it would make more than LTK and TLD as well
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,291
    One of the roles outside Bond I remember Dalton best from, is this one:
    Whilst I don't think he was the best Bond, he was probably the best actor to play Bond. If that makes sense
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Whilst I don't think he was the best Bond, he was probably the best actor to play Bond. If that makes sense

He's definitely been brilliant in everything I've seen him in, that's for sure. The same goes for Brosnan and Moore. I do think he's just as good an actor, if not better than Craig.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Had he stayed on as Bond, maybe we could have gotten a performance more in this vein eventually.

Had he stayed on as Bond, maybe we could have gotten a performance more in this vein eventually.

He looks like Christopher Plummer in this picture

Crazy Bond? :-D

Was there ever talk about Christopher Plummer as Bond?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Ah, Hot Fuzz, one of the most brilliant modern comedies ever. Dalton is brilliant in it, love that film.
  • Not being familiar with the particular DC characters involved, is Dalton's upcoming role as "The Chief" in Doom Patrol somewhat "M-like"?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,291
    Ah, Hot Fuzz, one of the most brilliant modern comedies ever. Dalton is brilliant in it, love that film.

It's definitely one of my favourite comedies. Some great action scenes, as well - like this car chase (spoiler warning):

If Edgar Wright never does a Bond film, he should definitely make a spy film with Timothy D!

It's definitely one of my favourite comedies. Some great action scenes, as well - like this car chase (spoiler warning):

If Edgar Wright never does a Bond film, he should definitely make a spy film with Timothy D!

Not bad indeed for a comedy director ;) In all seriousness I do believe Wright has the capacity to direct a Bond film. The man is very gifted.

Not bad indeed for a comedy director ;) In all seriousness I do believe Wright has the capacity to direct a Bond film. The man is very gifted.

I share that opinion! If the next Bond actor takes on a more lighthearted approach, then Wright should definitely be a name to consider.

I share that opinion! If the next Bond actor takes on a more lighthearted approach, then Wright should definitely be a name to consider.

But chaps,will 'light' work with Craig ?

Hence "the next actor"! Don't think Wright and Craig would be a good combo.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318

I'm not sure, I reckon Wright is a bit of a chameleon. I think he can adapt and not completely lose his 'signature'. It's an interesting idea, at least.

Yes. I believe Chris Plummer was one of the early candidates before Connery got the role.

Yes. I believe Chris Plummer was one of the early candidates before Connery got the role.

Interesting. Wonder how a Plummer Bond would be like.