The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited January 2018 Posts: 6,682
    Roger Moore is irresistible as ffolkes.
    Irresistible indeed; one of his most "different" performances and he's terrific in it. Let me add that before watching I expected the film to be a full-on action extravaganza, but it is in fact a relatively serious thriller that is rather low-key for much of its running time and is strongly focused on procedure, much like The Day of the Jackal, one of my favorite films. I also like how the character of ffolkes is revealed and illuminated through the reactions of those around him to his peculiar beliefs, habits and tastes.

And the ending with the cats is just lovely.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Roger Moore playing a full blown Mysoginist?!
    How did i miss this movie all my life!
    Gonna look for it right away, thanks for the tip guys.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just the tip. ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Has anyone seen Sunday Lovers, a 1980 anthology film? Roger stars in one segment with Priscilla Barnes.

Wondered what it was like.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 613
    NicNac wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Sunday Lovers, a 1980 anthology film? Roger stars in one segment with Priscilla Barnes.

Someone uploaded the Moore segment onto YouTube last year, but I checked again and the video has been pulled down.

It's okay, not great. Moore plays a womanizing cad and uses what sounds like a Cockney accent. Denholm Elliott and Lynn Redgrave also appear.

I've never seen the other segments; the Gene Wilder one is supposed to be embarrassingly bad.

That the film has never been released on VHS or DVD is baffling.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I believe I did. But like @Escalus5, I seem to remember it being quite underwhelming.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    So I ran into this tribute video and thought I'd share:

Very well made.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    So I ran into this tribute video and thought I'd share:

Very well made.
    I wish I could edit like Tom Waldek. Thanks for sharing!
    Interesting early interview with Sir Rog. After 15 seconds he gets a friendly dig in at Sean Connery.
    And right at the end there's a sort of blooper moment where the interviewer (with a punchable face) asks Roger how all of his actress co-stars rate as women. Quite funny watching Roger crack up and say 'You can't say that'

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Haha, I enjoy watching that interview every now and then.
    Same here!

I love how the interviewer (what's his name?) has to hold his laughter when he asks that question about women. "Plenty of actresses in your time." :))

And as usual, you can't help but enjoy Roger's good humor, wit and racounteur skills.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2018 Posts: 45,489
    What is that on the top left? A demon ? It starts around 2.40.
    Fractal growth.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Fractal growth.

I had that. Dangerous stuff.
    So I finally have my complete hard back collection of Sir Roger's books.
    Just so bloody sad that he wont be writing any more of them.

But at least we have these and should be grateful for that,considering no other Bond actor has bothered.
    I remember Roger was one of the famous people who made it clear they did not want to be the subject of This Is Your Life. He was terrified they may bring his ex wives on.
    I remember Roger was one of the famous people who made it clear they did not want to be the subject of This Is Your Life. He was terrified they may bring his ex wives on.

It would have to be an extended episode.

The Roger Moore tribute thread will be re-opened on the anniversary of the great man’s passing. Any other Roger discussion can go here.
    The Roger Moore tribute thread will be re-opened on the anniversary of the great man’s passing. Any other Roger discussion can go here.

Good thinking mods...
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I asked this in the wrong thread, sorry for that.

Anybody knows why Roger Moore did not mention that he was in Goldeneye in the excellent The 007 Diaries?
    Was he in GoldenEye? Never heard it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Never heard this either, but his daughter was in Goldeneye the 1989 TV film.
    He means the house not the film.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    He means the house not the film.

Ooooooh, haha. Ok got it....I think
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Sorry, yes, I was talking about LALD filming and his great Diary almost day by day. He was in Fleming's villa, but in the book there's no mention about it...

G7KF6Ys.jpg
    Great photo - never seen it before.
  • Zorin91Zorin91 Stavanger, Norway
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10
    Long time lurker on this forum and I figured my first post should be about something that's close to my heart.

To me, Roger Moore may not be the best Bond, but he's by far my favourite Bond. His charm is legendary and I find myself chuckling with every small remark and wink in his movies.

First and foremost though, I love the movies he was in. Roger Moore owned his movies, and even though the humorous, adventurous style was much the same for each movie, every single one of them have their own "feel". Exotic locations, great soundtracks, crazy characters, and often extremely impressive action and stunts (LALD boat chase, TSWLM car chase and my personal favourite FYEO ski chase.) all makes his movies feel unique. I hold 5 of his movies in particular high regard, but I also find a lot of great stuff in TMWTG and MR.

In my opinion Roger Moore contributed strongly to what was my personal "golden age" in terms of Bond, the 70s and especially the 80s. If I want to watch a Bond movie a Moore is at least 1/3 of the time my choice. His movies are so damn entertaining, and I love every second of them.

His passing some time ago left me feeling empty, and every time I hear the piano version of "Nobody does it better", I become genuinely sad. Luckily Roger Moore lived a long life where he contributed greatly to among others UNICEF, but most importantly to my favourite movie series, James Bond :)
    Great 1st post there @Zorin91 ..welcome aboard !
    Thanks @Zorin61 . I hope you enjoy your time here
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great post and welcome @Zorin91