The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Big fan of The Man Who Haunted Himself as well. Moore at his best.

I just recommended Woman of Straw on the Connery thread, and these are both directed by Basil Dearden

I recorded The Man Who Haunted Himself before Christmas I need to watch it, I watched the first ten minutes I got where it was heading I felt it was telegraphed maybe too much.
    I love The Man Who Haunted Himself! I also really like The Naked Face.

How reckless of me to forget North Sea Hijack, another great Roger movie!!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,369
    Cannonball Run love that film
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I just recommended Woman of Straw on the Connery thread, and these are both directed by Basil Dearden

I recorded The Man Who Haunted Himself before Christmas I need to watch it, I watched the first ten minutes I got where it was heading I felt it was telegraphed maybe too much.
    Oh I definitely agree. It has flaws, but it's worth it just to see Moore showing his range. It has a quaint feel very much of the early 70's which I like too.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 14,879
    Cannon Ball Run love that film

Great ensemble cast, and Moore really sends himself up well. Pity he didn't do more light comedy roles as it's something he was very good at, and was a well known prankster in real life too.
    Seems odd he didn't seek or was offered more roles like this. The less said about some of the 90's and early 2000's films the better.
    The Wild Geese is also another worthy addition to any Moore fans library.
    He was a much better actor than he often gave himself credit for. Wild Geese and Naked Face show him in a much different light than that of Bond, and Moore does well in both.

Oh I definitely agree. It has flaws, but it's worth it just to see Moore showing his range. It has a quaint feel very much of the early 70's which I like too.

I'll definitely watch it Sir Roger was quite intense in the car sequence, it's an older film than I thought pre Bond.
    Benny wrote: »
    Cannon Ball Run love that film

Great ensemble cast, and Moore really sends himself up well. Pity he didn't do more light comedy roles as it's something he was very good at, and was a well known prankster in real life too.
    Seems odd he didn't seek or was offered more roles like this. The less said about some of the 90's and early 2000's films the better.
    The Wild Geese is also another worthy edition to any Moore fans library.
    He was a much better actor than he often gave himself credit for. Wild Geese and Naked Face show him in a much different light than that of Bond, and Moore does well in both.

Sir Rogers scenes are a highlight, I love the scene Seymour has with his mother. I grew up watching Hal Needham films, Cannonball Run is my favourite great fun.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I also like The Sea Wolves when it comes to Moore. It foreshadowed Moore's take on Bond in FYEO as he played his part in the film in similar fashioned to his super-spy in his fifth outing.

@Andi1996Ruegg, you might like this particularly because it's a World War II spy film with an ensemble cast.
    Moore is very Bond like in The Sea Wolves but unfortunately he's not in it all that much because it's an ensemble piece. That's the thing about Sir Rog: many of his films were ensemble pieces. Still, a great performance by him in the film.
    Definitely! Oh, and that one bit where he engages in a firefight and surviving that death-trap set up for him by the skin of his teeth... Definitely my favourite scene!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Definitely! Oh, and that one bit where he engages in a firefight and surviving that death-trap set up for him by the skin of his teeth... Definitely my favourite scene!
    Love that bit too, and the scene that follows where the tables are turned, as it were. Very Bondian.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Love that bit too, and the scene that follows where the tables are turned, as it were. Very Bondian.
    Right you are, my friend! And I love how he threatens the host afterwards.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Bullseye! is my favorite non-Bond Roger Moore film... but don't watch that :))
    mattjoes wrote: »

Michael Winner directed I watched that on release lol
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    The Man Who Haunted Himself is not available in iTunes.
    The Sea Wolves is. So is The Naked Face.
    Very reasonable price, so I will buy both :D
    Enjoy! :D
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »

Michael Winner directed I watched that on release lol

At the cinema?! Was anybody else there?
    North Sea Hijack is very good also known as Ffolkes
    I like Ffolkes as well. Kind of anti-Moore, but enjoyable regardless. :D
    Just ask @DaltonCraig007. ;)

Regarding The Sea Wolves, I really love how Roy Budd adapted Richard Addinsell's "Warsaw Concerto" into the soundtrack and even had a song written based on the theme tune. As always, you've got to love Matt Munro's voice that performs the whole song during the closing credits. That song has a special place in my heart.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Gold (1974)
    NicNac wrote: »
    Gold (1974)
    I can't believe I forgot that one. Fully agree. Excellent film and Moore is superb in it.
    Just a moment...I wiki'd Gold and holy EoN....

Peter Hunt: director
    John Glen: editor, second unit director
    Maurice Binder: title design
    Syd Cain: set designer

ahem... !!!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Just a moment...I wiki'd Gold and holy EoN....

Peter Hunt: director
    John Glen: editor, second unit director
    Maurice Binder: title design
    Syd Cain: set designer

ahem... !!!
    Indeed @Andi1996Ruegg, and it also has a great brassy title song by Jimmy Helms which evokes Bond. In fact, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo also has a title sequence which is very Bond like imho, but in a perverse way.

Gold definitely inspired the mine sequence in AVTAK (as did Indy & The Temple of Doom).

You've mentioned in the past that you think Rog looked his best in TMWTGG and I agree. Well, he's got that same cool look in Gold.
    Gold is a definite winner, and is now available on Blu-Ray. Moore gives an excellent performance and Hunt's direction is characteristically sharp--the climactic sequence in the collapsing mine is nerve-wracking.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    I always like coming across other films that feature multiple Bond connections. Maybe I'm wrong but we don't really seem to get that as much now. The Wild Geese is another one. Roger Moore, John Glen, Syd Cain and Maurice Binder.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I always like coming across other films that feature multiple Bond connections. Maybe I'm wrong but we don't really seem to get that as much now. The Wild Geese is another one. Roger Moore, John Glen, Syd Cain and Maurice Binder.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078492/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
    Even more connections when you look at the credits list.

Glyn Baker - OO2 in TLD
    Martin Grace - Stunts
    Valerie Leon - Various
    George Leech - Stunts
    Bob Simmons - Stunts
    Rocky Taylor - Stunts
    Derek Cracknell - Assistant Director - Worked as AD on many Guy Hamilton Bond's
    John Grover - Editing
    Richard Graydon - Stunts
    Clive Curtis - Stunts
    Greg Powell - Stunts

And probably some I've missed.
    Wild Geese is a decent action thriller.
    Any film with Burton and Moore would be an easy watch for me.
    I got The Sea Wolves and The Naked Face on iTunes.

In addition I have ordered newly released Blu-rays of Gold and of Ffolkes-North Sea Hijack.

Thanks to reasonable prices I could buy more than I though.

I'll do a Moore-a-thon as soon as I got the Blu's.

Thanks for the many good tips!
    Let us know what you think. :)
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    ffolkes - North Sea Hijack

You got to love Sir Roger Moore. After seeing ffolkes, with a lower case f mind you! I adore him more than ever.

What a performance and what a character! This is such a great addition to his 7 Bond films.

Roger really has wonderful scenes. ffolkes' hatred for women makes for some hilarious but oh so witty dialogue and Sir Rog's talent for delivering the lines are marvelous.

ffolkes: I didn't know they had women on these things.
    Sarah: Yes, things are getting better in that way.
    ffolkes: A gigantic step backwards!

The supporting cast is quite something too. I have to admit I only know Anthony Perkins from Psycho but of course I know James Mason from several films.

The ensemble cast has a few weak elements but those are minor complaints and it doesn't hurt the film. The important roles are cast with brilliant actors.

To see David Hedison in a bigger role next to Moore is an extra gift!

I'm especially fond of Faith Brook who plays the Prime Minister. Such class.

ffolkes is also a very strict but good leader!

Harris: How are we doing, sir?
    ffolkes: Like plowmen at a bloody knitting convention.
    Harris: We're improving, then.

The story is pretty simple but the script is very good. The production quality also is surprisingly good.
    There seems to be no DoP at all involved though, the overall look of the film is rather unexciting but the other elements work so well, it's still a wonderful movie.

This is a guilty pleasure film I guess. Personally I am so very happy to have found ffolkes.
    The picture quality is very good as well. It seems the film has been released in HD only recently for the first time. Splendid!

Roger Moore is irresistible as ffolkes.
    Stellar review, @Andi1996Ruegg!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I completely agree, @Andi1996Ruegg ;)