The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @barryt007 Bowie moved to Switzerland, where he knew nobody. So Roger Moore came up to his house and entertained him over dinner. Since Bowie knew nobody else, it was Roger every night and he eventually decided to pretend he wasn't in the house anymore to escape the same stories being told over and over. :)
    @barryt007 Bowie moved to Switzerland, where he knew nobody. So Roger Moore came up to his house and entertained him over dinner. Since Bowie knew nobody else, it was Roger every night and he eventually decided to pretend he wasn't in the house anymore to escape the same stories being told over and over. :)

Aaah i see...a fake story then i presume.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Must be a fake story. It suggests Roger Moore had dementia or something. Safe for them to print this rubbish when both the individuals are gone and can't speak out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Being good friends with Moore in real life, I feel James Garner would have been a great recurring Felix Leiter during his era.
    maverick.jpg
    Maybe. Garner was actually quite a big star in the 60s and 70s. Whether he was ready to play second fiddle I don't know. But a good call nonetheless.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can definitely see it. They were in Maverick together too:
    XtBMWZl.jpg
    I am curious as to why Park Circus will not reveal how much money was raised for UNICEF with the charity Film showings of TSWLM and FYEO? Seems a little underhanded to me?
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited October 2017 Posts: 308
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I am curious as to why Park Circus will not reveal how much money was raised for UNICEF with the charity Film showings of TSWLM and FYEO? Seems a little underhanded to me?

Indeed a bit strange. Have asked UNICEF UK months ago on Twitter but did not get a response. I also asked Pathé (Dutch cinema chain). They said they wouldn't publish the
    proceeds because it was part of a standing co-operation with UNICEF and they didn't know if UNICEF were planning on releasing those details.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    And the films didn't even come to my country :(
    mattjoes wrote: »
    And the films didn't even come to my country :(
    They didn't show near me either. I was so disappointed with that because I would have loved to finally see these epics on the big screen.
    Jeffrey wrote: »

Indeed a bit strange. Have asked UNICEF UK months ago on Twitter but did not get a response. I also asked Pathé (Dutch cinema chain). They said they wouldn't publish the
    proceeds because it was part of a standing co-operation with UNICEF and they didn't know if UNICEF were planning on releasing those details.

I really do not understand why this would be such a major issue? A worthwhile gesture that would have thrilled Sir Roger, has now turned into something quite bizarre for no apparent reason? Hopefully common sense will prevail sooner or later?

I really do not understand why this would be such a major issue? A worthwhile gesture that would have thrilled Sir Roger, has now turned into something quite bizarre for no apparent reason? Hopefully common sense will prevail sooner or later?

I hope so too. But to be honest, I don't think will ever find out.

I hope so too. But to be honest, I don't think will ever find out.

It will be a sad state of affairs if that does turn out to be the case?
    Roger Moore never played the big 'I am'.

In so many of his films he took second billing to other stars who were not as 'big' as he was at the time.

Thinking Gregory Peck in Sea Wolves, Richard Burton in Wild Geese, Lee Marvin in Shout At The Devil. All three had been big stars in the 50s and 60s, but by the mid 70s Roger Moore was, in truth, a bigger star. But he no doubt, humbly, took second billing to them all.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    World feels a darker place without Sir Roger. I hope they make a docu film of his life.
    World feels a darker place without Sir Roger. I hope they make a docu film of his life.

Maybe they will nearer the time of the next Bond film? It would certainly be a nice touch which I believe a lot of people would like to see?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

Maybe they will nearer the time of the next Bond film? It would certainly be a nice touch which I believe a lot of people would like to see?

Yeah, must be a lot of home video and people wishing to say some words about him etc. the family know how loved he was by the Bond world, they will know this is something he and we would want to see. It's maybe too soon to open wounds.. but one for the future.

Yeah, must be a lot of home video and people wishing to say some words about him etc. the family know how loved he was by the Bond world, they will know this is something he and we would want to see. It's maybe too soon to open wounds.. but one for the future.

Exactly, We are still just under 2 years away, and programs are generally filmed alongside a production when rolling to gather current thoughts from the Eon family. Hopefully when the official press conference takes place? A member of the gathered press may ask the question?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    NicNac wrote: »

In so many of his films he took second billing to other stars who were not as 'big' as he was at the time.

Thinking Gregory Peck in Sea Wolves, Richard Burton in Wild Geese, Lee Marvin in Shout At The Devil. All three had been big stars in the 50s and 60s, but by the mid 70s Roger Moore was, in truth, a bigger star. But he no doubt, humbly, took second billing to them all.

He even cut short the number of lines he had to say in The Wild Geese, because he felt he couldn't compete with Burton and Harris' acting abilities. I wish he hadn't!

He even cut short the number of lines he had to say in The Wild Geese, because he felt he couldn't compete with Burton and Harris' acting abilities. I wish he hadn't!

I didn’t know that. He shouldn’t have undersold himself. Burton was a ham at times, and he and Harris probably wrecked their careers thanks to the demon drink. Moore was far more professional and certainly a better actor than he gave himself credit for.

I heard that recently on The ONE Show when they paid tribute to him the day after he died.
    I always thought he was a standout in The Wild Geese and wish there were more scenes with him. He sort of disappears midway through until the ending in London.
  • Roger Moore was a great bond in his own way, only Connery purists would disagree! his bond movies were all grandly successful hits even though he was in his 50's mostly!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Roger Moore is my favourite Bond. :D
    Roger Moore is my favourite Bond. :D
    We agree again. ;-)
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I have a little more money I can spend on movies.

I would like to get one movie of each Bond actor outside their Bond catalogue.

Nothing that is dramatically different to Bond unless it's really considered one of the best.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions for Roger Moore as I have almost no knowledge about the man outside of Bond. I know I have to get The Saint and The Persuaders at one point and I will.
    I have a little more money I can spend on movies.

I would like to get one movie of each Bond actor outside their Bond catalogue.

Nothing that is dramatically different to Bond unless it's really considered one of the best.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions for Roger Moore as I have almost no knowledge about the man outside of Bond. I know I have to get The Saint and The Persuaders at one point and I will.

A really cool Roger pre Bond:

MAVERICK -western television series. Roger replaces James Garner in season 4.
    THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF (1970)

There's also:
    SHOUT AT THE DEVIL (1976)
    THE WILD GEESE (1978)
    ESCAPE TO ATHENA (1979)
    THE SEA WOLVES (1980)
    THE NAKED FACE (1984)
    Big fan of The Man Who Haunted Himself as well. Moore at his best.

I just recommended Woman of Straw on the Connery thread, and these are both directed by Basil Dearden
    Woman of Straw is great. Been ages since I saw it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The Man Who Haunted Himself was Sir Rogers own personal favourite of his work. And justifiably too.
    I also enjoy, North Sea Hijack and The Naked Face outside of his Bond work.
    The Persuaders is a must for any Moore fan.