The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Just back from Cardiff where I've spent an evening with Sir Roger on his latest round of the book tour for Last Man Standing have to say that he's on great form at the moment looking verry well and is as witty and funny as ever I do urge you to go along and see him if you get the chance you will be well entertained as I have been tonight.

Glad you enjoyed it, I knew you would! Did he do a book signing?

Whilst he did not sign any books at the event they were of course on sale and each one had a card enclosed with his autograph on it along with his coat of arms crest .
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 512
    Roger Moore on BBC Radio 2 with Graham Norton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gvh8f

Starts around 1:30:00 with Live And Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings.
    JWPepper wrote: »
    Roger Moore on BBC Radio 2 with Graham Norton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gvh8f

Starts around 1:30:00 with Live And Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings.

Hoping to listen to this within the next day or two!
    Finally got round to listening to this today! A very enjoyable listen. The book from what i can gather is a very light hearted and humourous affair! My kind of read i reckon! :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sir Roger has an article in this week's Radio Times taken from his new memoirs if anyone is interested.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sir Roger has an article in this week's Radio Times taken from his new memoirs if anyone is interested.

Cheers for the heads up, will try and get a copy.
    :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Cheers for the heads up, will try and get a copy.
    :D

My pleasure. I flick through it at work and that was how I noticed it so I bought myself a copy of it. :)
    Sir Roger also had the best eyebrow raise in disdain of the Bonds. Kind of like the pro wrestler Rock. Connery was second.
  • Today Roger got featured on Joblo.com's 'The Good, The Bad, and The Badass' a monthly feature where they take a look at a stars career. You better believe Bond gets mentioned a lot!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/the-good-the-bad-the-badass-roger-moore-253

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just watched all of that (25 years of James Bond)- it was great! Thanks, @SaintMark. I had not seen it before.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 13,882
    That shows what an ambassador Rog has been to the series. How many of the other Bonds what have done that, a mere two years after their last film?

Rog also hosted the celebration for 40 years of Bond:

I just watched all of that (25 years of James Bond)- it was great! Thanks, @SaintMark. I had not seen it before.

You are welcome, we tend to forget the greatness behind us in favor of nagging about the next 007 movie.
    Lets celebrate the great series we have firstly.

• edited January 2015 Posts: 344
    *looks nervously around, before heaving a huge sigh of relief, and settling into the nearest Chesterfield, with a glass of something intoxicating*

I suppose this is the one part of the forum mercifully free (on pain of death, one hopes) from repetitive Moore-bashing at the moment. It's comfy in here.

Sir Rog has been addressing his adoring public again. He answers questions monthly on his website and often provides evidence that the old twinkle remains, and that his victory in the Game of Life has been a gloriously emphatic one.

On playing a Batman-style superhero:
    "I like the idea of playing a hooded hero, as then I could slip my stunt double into the part and just phone the voice in from home."

On his most difficult decision (leaving Bond):
    "I knew I was well past my sell-by date, (but) leaving the Bond films was very difficult because they were the most enjoyable years of my life, working with such wonderful people. I realised I couldn’t go on any longer, not without scenes with Bond drawing his pension at the post office, but when you have so much fun, it’s always hard to walk away."

On David Niven (and his own 'manners and grace'):
    "David Niven was always a hero of mine, and fortunately became a good friend. But as for my own style, manners and grace (along with my modesty) well, I was born that way. In fact I was an only child, as my parents realised they had achieved perfection the first time."

The full question and answers - as ever - can be found on roger-moore.com

The reference to 'Niv' has given me a bit of a taste for 'The Sea Wolves' - sadly, Niven's poor health at the time marred the experience slightly for Sir Rog. A Moore and Niven at the peak of their powers would have been a heady combination, on and off set!
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks for this, @Jones_The_Bond. I appreciate the man, the actor, the tireless UNICEF champion, and that this is an appreciation thread for the longest serving Bond, the inimitable Sir Roger.

I have always loved David Niven, too. I may re-read one of his autobiographies again soon. I read The Moon's a Balloon when it came out (his early years); so well written and poignant, as well as amusing. And Bring On the Empty Horses, which goes over his acting career more, with many anecdotes.

Both Roger and David are people I wish I had the opportunity to know personally.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 344
    Oh yes, The Moon's a Balloon is recognised as being something of a classic in its field. It's been ages since I've read that, and I haven't yet read Bring On the Empty Horses.

You've inspired me. Think I'll have a Niv Week of reading, and slap on 'The Sea Wolves' for good measure.

I just wish I didn't fear that with Niven long gone, that Sir Roger is one of the last of a vanishing breed.
    Sir Roger is pretty much the last of a vanishing breed. Because that subtlety, modesty about one's self and work, along with an understated elegance and a natural charm, is unfashionable now, to put it one way.

Bring On the Empty Horses I need to read again, too. For that book, I understand that he may have written some anecdotes that actually happened to others, not just him, but wrote it as happening to him. But I don't mind if that is partially true; it is still rather like sitting at a glittering cocktail party chatting with him, with plenty of amusing stories from the acting world.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He almost really IS a Saint.
  • A Saint who had a devil of a time!
  • I've always liked the fact that Moore was so popular with the Bond crew - from the 'highest' to the 'lowest'. That's a good test of an individual. He realised how lucky he was (although there was a fair amount of talent involved, too!) and never seemed to get big-headed about fame.

Niven shared this trait. When he died in 1983, the largest wreath at his funeral - according to his biographer - a real 'godfather' type affair, came from the porters at Heathrow Airport, with a card which read:

'To the finest gentleman who ever walked through these halls. He made a porter feel like a king.'

What a marvellous testament to a good man. I think Rog is made of the same stuff.
    *looks nervously around, before heaving a huge sigh of relief, and settling into the nearest Chesterfield, with a glass of something intoxicating*

I suppose this is the one part of the forum mercifully free (on pain of death, one hopes) from repetitive Moore-bashing at the moment. It's comfy in here.

Sir Rog has been addressing his adoring public again. He answers questions monthly on his website and often provides evidence that the old twinkle remains, and that his victory in the Game of Life has been a gloriously emphatic one.

On playing a Batman-style superhero:
    "I like the idea of playing a hooded hero, as then I could slip my stunt double into the part and just phone the voice in from home."

On his most difficult decision (leaving Bond):
    "I knew I was well past my sell-by date, (but) leaving the Bond films was very difficult because they were the most enjoyable years of my life, working with such wonderful people. I realised I couldn’t go on any longer, not without scenes with Bond drawing his pension at the post office, but when you have so much fun, it’s always hard to walk away."

On David Niven (and his own 'manners and grace'):
    "David Niven was always a hero of mine, and fortunately became a good friend. But as for my own style, manners and grace (along with my modesty) well, I was born that way. In fact I was an only child, as my parents realised they had achieved perfection the first time."

The full question and answers - as ever - can be found on roger-moore.com

The reference to 'Niv' has given me a bit of a taste for 'The Sea Wolves' - sadly, Niven's poor health at the time marred the experience slightly for Sir Rog. A Moore and Niven at the peak of their powers would have been a heady combination, on and off set!

I can't stand all this lame Moore bashing. The time to bash Moore was in the 70s. I understand why Connery fans would have had problems with Moore back then. But so much time has passed now. We have historical perspective from which to look back and appreciate what Rog did. People who carp on about the comedy totally miss the point.

And of course there is the unavoidable fact that he is clearly a rather wonderful and brilliantly humouress chap. Basically (unless you're one of his jilted wives) there isn't much to dislike. An outstanding human being and one of he truly great Bonds.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sir Roger Moore is on BBC Radio 2, at 10pm, on Paper Cuts

Roger Moore was James Bond 007, like Connery, Brosnan & Craig he did own the part. For me the attraction of the franchise is the rejuvenation and change each new 007 brings, Roger Moore has through all changes always been an ambassador extraordinaire for the franchise and the part.

If you do not like his interpretation of 007 that is your loss as his is one of the more important ones in the franchise. His version of the adventures have been great fun and put 007 on the map as a franchise that can continue after a change of actor. That and his movies are full of sensational stunts that nowadays get done in CGI instead of by professionals.

Roger Moore is Ivanhoe, The Saint, James Bond & Ffolkes for me. and he is undoubtedly one of the major important persons for the 007 franchise in hindsight.

I do hope we will have him around for quite some time.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, Long live Sir Rog. ^:)^ " He da Man" !, a true gentleman.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Roger Moore was James Bond 007, like Connery, Brosnan & Craig he did own the part. For me the attraction of the franchise is the rejuvenation and change each new 007 brings, Roger Moore has through all changes always been an ambassador extraordinaire for the franchise and the part.

If you do not like his interpretation of 007 that is your loss as his is one of the more important ones in the franchise. His version of the adventures have been great fun and put 007 on the map as a franchise that can continue after a change of actor. That and his movies are full of sensational stunts that nowadays get done in CGI instead of by professionals.

Roger Moore is Ivanhoe, The Saint, James Bond & Ffolkes for me. and he is undoubtedly one of the major important persons for the 007 franchise in hindsight.

Agreed, and great post.

He's a nice man that made for a debonair yet vapid interpretation of the character. I would not categorize his films as adventures, but rather comedies and he embraced all of that. I wonder what Fleming would have thought of all the corny gags.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Bloody hell, words fail me.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2015 Posts: 9,117

He's a nice man that made for a debonair yet vapid interpretation of the character. I would not categorize his films as adventures, but rather comedies and he embraced all of that. I wonder what Fleming would have thought of all the corny gags.

Even a thread entitled Rog appreciation is not safe from his tedium. Are you a virus uploaded by North Korea doubelohdad?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I did think this thread was for Appreciation of Roger ? :)