The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

...and Brosnan at the end of GE:

"darling...what can possibly go wrong"

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Also in TMWTGG, Moore says to MP, "Oh, just one moment, darling... Why wasn't Scaramanga confirmed as the killer?"
    IIRC he also says darling in TSWLM to Anya,on Atlantis with Naomi..something like : "Really darling ?...its incredible the amount of information you store away"....or something similar to that.
    ...and George in OHMSS

Moneypenny: "James...where have you been?"

"Much too far from you darling"
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Actually, Connery said it as well in DAF. "Speak up darling, I can't hear you." Although he wasn't being very romantic at the time so I'm not sure that it counts!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    OK, I concur. Stop beating me up now ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    DCisared wrote:

Mary poppins, what's that!?

If you scroll back to the interview I posted with Sir Roger, you will see it is from the same TV show. All these former celebrities had appeared on the show, and this was how they wrapped up the season.
    Currently reading Moonraker, great book so far but the thing that really sticks in the mind regarind Bond the character is the class and love of the finer things in life and the way he fits in perfectly at high society gatherings without being a rich man himself, Rog is perfect fit to this aspect of Bond and I feel it is something that is overlooked when people talk about Flemings Bond as it probably is the biggest aspect of the character.

Dalton and Craig don't really go anywhere near this part of the character despite being mentioned as the closest to Fleming.
    Birdleson wrote:
    Currently reading Moonraker, great book so far but the thing that really sticks in the mind regarind Bond the character is the class and love of the finer things in life and the way he fits in perfectly at high society gatherings without being a rich man himself, Rog is perfect fit to this aspect of Bond and I feel it is something that is overlooked when people talk about Flemings Bond as it probably is the biggest aspect of the character.

Dalton and Craig don't really go anywhere near this part of the character despite being mentioned as the closest to Fleming.

Definitely. By the way, MOONRAKER is, in my opinion, the best of the books. I would love to see a straight adaption. Highly unlikely.

Half way through the book and if it stays as good all the way through then I would say it will definitley be the best I've read so far, I think the plot could be used for a film with a few alterations, it wouldn't even need to be called Moonraker if the rocket was given a different name!
    Birdleson wrote:

Definitely. By the way, MOONRAKER is, in my opinion, the best of the books. I would love to see a straight adaption. Highly unlikely.

Half way through the book and if it stays as good all the way through then I would say it will definitley be the best I've read so far, I think the plot could be used for a film with a few alterations, it wouldn't even need to be called Moonraker if the rocket was given a different name!

You seem to forget that DAD also has a strong "Moonraker the book" theme, with the villain being closer to Drax from the book than the Drax from MR. And the missile is updated to our times with a lasergun from space that will take its revenge on the allies (from Korea that is).
    Moonraker the book has been done twice and I am not sure how they can do it again, which probably will not stop them anyhow. ;)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thrice if you count GE. But never correctly.
    I'm watching (and taking a significant level of pleasure) a Roger Moore Bond film right this minute, and for all the castigating that has come his way (even from myself) he is capable often enough, of providing a fine portrayal of the Fleming character

Even in one or two of his latter appearances when Moore was evidently the wrong side of age to play Bond, he still can provide a very good representation of the creation. Think I said it before, but every now and again - Fleming would of approved
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I just found a little info on a movie, from France, called The Incompatibles.
    https://www.facebook.com/incompatibleslefilm?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

Apparently it is about a young man obsessed with James Bond and Sir Roger makes an appearance, playing himself. Does anybody know anything about this one? Sounds like it could be fun. :) Roger makes a very brief appearance, I think. It's a romantic comedy, about 3 young people. Here is a link to the film site, with trailer: http://www.incompatibles-lefilm.com/

AND here is a page about Roger in this film: (from the film's site)

http://www.incompatibles-lefilm.com/rogermoore.html

Anything worth translating? Thank you!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I just found a little info on a movie, from France, called The Incompatibles.
    https://www.facebook.com/incompatibleslefilm?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

Apparently it is about a young man obsessed with James Bond and Sir Roger makes an appearance, playing himself. Does anybody know anything about this one? Sounds like it could be fun. :) Roger makes a very brief appearance, I think. It's a romantic comedy, about 3 young people. Here is a link to the film site, with trailer: http://www.incompatibles-lefilm.com/

AND here is a page about Roger in this film: (from the film's site)

http://www.incompatibles-lefilm.com/rogermoore.html

Anything worth translating? Thank you!

He looks extremely well! Nice to see him on camera, even if it is only briefly!
  • Am I really the only one out there who think´s that MR is the best Bondfilm? I´ve always thought that Roger Moore was the best Bond, and from what I´ve heard I have SOME people who agree with me (whom I expect all are in this thread), but it´s kind of rare to have that fondness of MR as I have. Moore is bloody brilliant in every single one of them (exept AVTAK, he looked like he was dying in that one) but in MR he just IS James Bond! Am I really alone??
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love Moonraker but I don't think it's the best Bond film. I watched it recently and the whole time I had a smile on my face. It's highly entertaining.
  • Murdock wrote:
    I love Moonraker but I don't think it's the best Bond film. I watched it recently and the whole time I had a smile on my face. It's highly entertaining.

How would you rank it??

Murdock wrote:

How would you rank it??

For me, It's in the top 10.
  • That´s good enough for me ;) Well, it´s been nr. 1 for me for quite some time now...
    It´s one of those movies you can watch over and over and over again ^:)^
    That´s good enough for me ;) Well, it´s been nr. 1 for me for quite some time now...

That's how I am with GoldenEye. :)
  • Murdock wrote:
    That´s good enough for me ;) Well, it´s been nr. 1 for me for quite some time now...

I did´nt really see the big fuzz about Goldeneye until my last viewing of it actually... I have thought of it as a "pretty good one" but not more than that. I still hate the score though... :-?
    Murdock wrote:

I did´nt really see the big fuzz about Goldeneye until my last viewing of it actually... I have thought of it as a "pretty good one" but not more than that. I still hate the score though... :-?

I hold it in such high acclaim because it was the first Bond film I ever saw. I was a young impressionable six year old boy when I saw it. Great experience.
  • The first Bond I ever saw was DAD... And yet I wanted to see more... ;)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Is anyone going to see sir Rog in Cardiff on the 16 th of September ?.
  • Mrcoggins wrote:
    Is anyone going to see sir Rog in Cardiff on the 16 th of September ?.
    "I sure am boy!"

Hmmm Rog in Cardiff, just a short trip for me here in Bristol, Very Handy!

Moonraker is better every time I watch it, just the few well known too silly bits that let it down.

For me it's probably the worst of the Rog films, I do prefer the 3 either side of it.

Pinning down the best Rog film is hard for me though, Sometimes FYEO or OP but then I do love a bit of earlier Rog to, LALD is always so watchable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,476
    @identigraph, I'm with you there, Moore really impressed me throughout his time as Bond, so I'm not sure what my favorite film of his is. It's either OP, FYEO, or TSWLM, and controversially enough, MR isn't my least favorite of his, it would be TMWTGG. MR is damn good fun, and if you sit down and watch it for what its worth, there's a lot of fun to be had.

I'm probably one of the only few that loves AVTAK, and LALD is great, though I didn't enjoy it as much as I recall loving it the last time I watched it.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Moonraker is better every time I watch it, just the few well known too silly bits that let it down.

For me it's probably the worst of the Rog films, I do prefer the 3 either side of it.

Pinning down the best Rog film is hard for me though, Sometimes FYEO or OP but then I do love a bit of earlier Rog to, LALD is always so watchable.

I don't think I knew that you were in Bristol let me know if you are going to attend in Cardiff i am going to use the train to get there can't belive how cheep it is £12:80 Return from Temple Meads I can't start the car up for that !.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @identigraph, I'm with you there, Moore really impressed me throughout his time as Bond, so I'm not sure what my favorite film of his is. It's either OP, FYEO, or TSWLM, and controversially enough, MR isn't my least favorite of his, it would be TMWTGG. MR is damn good fun, and if you sit down and watch it for what its worth, there's a lot of fun to be had.

I'm probably one of the only few that loves AVTAK, and LALD is great, though I didn't enjoy it as much as I recall loving it the last time I watched it.

Everytime I watch MR I always tell myself it's rubbish before I watch it even though I know it's not, I think it's just etched into my brain that I don't like it.
    TMWTGG on the other hand, depsite all the flaws that I know are there, I just love it, I didn't realise it had such a poor reputation until the days of internet/forums.
    Mrcoggins wrote:

I don't think I knew that you were in Bristol let me know if you are going to attend in Cardiff i am going to use the train to get there can't belive how cheep it is £12:80 Return from Temple Meads I can't start the car up for that !.

I didn't realise Rog was in Cardiff so I will definitley have a look at this, @Mrcoggins are you a Bristolian then?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 654
    TMWTGG used to be my favorite when I was a kid. I suppose it´s a bit to childish... Apart from when Scaramanga get´s killed and we get to see Andrea with a bullet in her heart. And Roger just feels like a Sean Connery rip-off...