The November Man (2014) - Pierce Brosnan's return to the spy genre

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    So going off of the forum, they surrendered the rating, leaving it 'unrated,' so it may end up going from a hard R rating to a PG-13...which I really, really, REALLY hope doesn't end up being the case.

You know, I'm one of those who doesn't really mind movie ratings, I just want them to make the movie they need to make, if it happens to be PG-13 or R, I don't care. I just don't want them to leave stuff out to get a PG-13 rating just cause though.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I won't be mad if it's switch from R to PG-13. it would be a tad disappointing but PG-13 has always been the money maker.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So going off of the forum, they surrendered the rating, leaving it 'unrated,' so it may end up going from a hard R rating to a PG-13...which I really, really, REALLY hope doesn't end up being the case.

You know, I'm one of those who doesn't really mind movie ratings, I just want them to make the movie they need to make, if it happens to be PG-13 or R, I don't care. I just don't want them to leave stuff out to get a PG-13 rating just cause though.

I have a problem with it, because it was shot as a hard R, so if it is released as PG-13, that means they cut out a lot of the story, which inevitably leads to the possibility of plot holes, things that won't make sense, terrible editing, etc.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    It apparently was shot as an R rating - but who knows how hardcore an R?
    I'm happy enough for it to be PG-13. That rating can take a good deal of violence these days. Maybe not some specific nude shots, though. I don't think it necessarily means the story will be affected negatively. As an adult, I'd enjoy an uncensored R rating for it, but PG-13 will get it more box office, and if the change to make it PG-13 is well done (does not ruin the story) and a potential vehicle for more with Pierce in this role - then yes, I'm all for it.
    I'm not interesting in the rating anyhow. I just want to watch a good movie. GoldenEye was PG-13 and still amazing. ;)
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,573
    Again, I don't mind a PG-13 rating in the slightest, because an R-rating doesn't always mean a good film, but if it's shot as a 'hard R' - graphic nudity, violence, sexual violence, language, blood and gore, from what I read from 'The November Man,' and then it receives a PG-13 rating - that means a lot of it will be removed, and it could possibly suffer from it, not just in story, but in editing, as well. All I'm saying is it's a bigger possibility than if it was shot as a PG-13 film from the get go. But, this is all speculation. It's still unrated, so it could end up staying with an R-rating.
    Just started reading the book that this will be based on. Seems very interesting. I can tell they aren't sticking with the plot of the book. Just seem to be keeping a few characters and facts from the book.

Look forward to this movie!
    Looks pretty bad.
    Really? I think it seems to be quite good and fun. Looking forward to this one a lot.

I read somewhere that no, it is not taken from any single book - they are combining elements from There Are No Spies and November Man, and perhaps another book in the series (by Bill Granger). That's fine with me, as long as it's a good story for the screen.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Saw the trailer this week. It was showing with the new ScarJo film, Lucy, a crime-fantasy thriller. Although the trailer is also clearly all over the web, in the usual places I imagine.
    I did not like the trailer. Brozzer seemed kinda wizened and old, which maybe he is at this point. Anyway the trailer didn't grab me. Of course I will still see the film, as I watch all cinema spyfare, and especially an offering featuring a retired Bond.
    Well it's at least nice to hear that the trailer has been attached to some bigger budget films. At least it's getting some form of marketing outside the Internet.
    @timmer sorta off-topic but what did you think of Lucy ?
    Brosnan is playing the older, seasoned agent in this. He actually is older, of course (let's count the years) but still looks great. :) The part undoubtedly will play on his being older as part of that character.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    The film might be good but the trailer looks cheesy (the slow-motion walk, the explosions, officials looking at an image of the hero on a big screen, the hero being viewed through a sniper's lens, glasses being raised and guns being clocked). Most of the action film cliche's are here.

I preferred the first teaser.
    I will wait until it comes onto SKY Movies.....
    I'll probably get it on LoveFilm.
    Could to see Brosnan back in the action genre again after all the rom com fluff he's been in recently. Hope he appears in Expendables 4 as rumoured if it gets greenlit.
    I don't want Brosnan in 'The Expendables 4' if it's going to be anything like the third installment.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't want Brosnan in 'The Expendables 4' if it's going to be anything like the third installment.

Same here. It would most likely destroy his action comeback. :-L
    @Murdock, and if it's some small role like Chuck Norris' in the second one, he'll show up in a tux and crack a few sexual innuendos or Bond puns, then disappear.
    As I've said on this thread before he should reprise his most famous film role in the 80s: Taffin.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,573
    Great clip!

Brosnan: "I want you to be half-monk, half-hitman."
    *turns to camera and flashes a toothy smile and a wink*
    BROSNAN IS BACK! I'm so excited now. :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    " In the 12 years since his last super-spy outing, 2002’s Dine Another Day,"

Dine Another Day?
    Walecs wrote: »
    " In the 12 years since his last super-spy outing, 2002’s Dine Another Day,"

Dine Another Day?

It's either a typo or the writer of the article was taking a shot at Brosnan's weight.
    Great clip! Thanks, marketto007! :-bd
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Looks awesome! Fun romp.
    Aww yiss I just found out this movie will come out in my country on 18 September-4 days before my b-day
    My God I hope the movie is better than Pierce's awful American accent!