007 Legends Announced

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,696
    I'm sure BritishChap007 would feel lucky if EON announced a DAD #2 , because we'd be getting a new Bond film ? Or perhaps he'd be whining becayse they are make another outing similar to the one he hates the most ? So why can't some of us complain that they are making such a travesty like 007 legends ?
  • This is moronic.

How typical from the Craig fanboys to insult those who don't share their views..... :)) Takes a moron to know what's moronic, eh ? :))
    I'm extremely excited that OHMSS, a movie I never thought had a hope of being adapted into a game in a billion years, is getting a game. We should consider ourselves lucky but, in typical Internet fashion, we are whining.

How can we be 'lucky' to have an adaptation that takes a huge dump on OHMSS ? How can you be excited for an adaptation of OHMSS that looks nothing like OHMSS ? If there's anything moronic, it's this insulting game.

How typical of Craig haters to endlessly rant about the same issue for eternity (not to mention I have no idea what this has to do with my feelings about Craig's Bond, as the only thing that could make me more excited for this game would be the likeness' of the other Bonds. As for me being a moron myself, you're probably right).

It's more fun to be excited. I am mentally stable enough that if the game does not end up being Game of the Year, I won't lament my excitement. In the meantime I'm getting the game I've always asked for: a collection of Bond's greatest hits. Awesome.

Some franchises don't get adapted. Others get no effort at all to appeal to the fandom. Adapting OHMSS and MR does not point to a cash-in. Joe public isnt going to say "This has OHMSS in it? Im in." This is for us.

Meanwhile, using modern styles of gameplay makes sense (and of it's the same as GE: Reloaded, you can use stealth on any mission). You're saying because Eurocom doesn't happen to know a few Bond fans on a message board just so happen to have a blind hate for aim-down-the-sights that they don't care about you and want to take advantage of Bond fans??

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    This is NOT a game for us, but a game for casual gamers who want CoD style FPS. Which means it it will flop because Activision doesn't understand that casual gamers will flock to buy Black Ops 2.

You have to understand that Bond games and Bond movies are not made for us hardcore fans who are members of mi6community. They are made for the general public. And the general public of video games want COD style FPS. Activision doesn't give a rat's ass about Bond fans or the Bond legacy, they just want to cash-in on COD by cashing-in on the Bond name. This game is double blatant and shameless cash-in.

Step down from your fantasy world - this game is for the general public, not the hardcore fans of this website. Were never made for us, never will.
  • This is NOT a game for us, but a game for casual gamers who want CoD style FPS. Which means it it will flop because Activision doesn't understand that casual gamers will flock to buy Black Ops 2.

You have to understand that Bond games and Bond movies are not made for us hardcore fans who are members of mi6community. They are made for the general public. And the general public of video games want COD style FPS. Activision doesn't give a rat's ass about Bond fans or the Bond legacy, they just want to cash-in on COD by cashing-in on the Bond name. This game is double cash-in.

I understand your perspective and am sorry you feel that way. Excellent point about DAD # 2. I'm sorry you are not excited for the game. At least I know I'm going to enjoy it!

• RC7RC7
    You're saying because Eurocom doesn't happen to know a few Bond fans on a message board just so happen to have a blind hate for aim-down-the-sights that they don't care about you and want to take advantage of Bond fans??

You miss the point. My problem is there seems to be absolutely no originality in the execution of this game. If you can't do something original then don't bother. It seems very much like this will basically be GE:Reloaded in a different skin. That would be passable if the 'skin' was aesthetically in tune with the tone of the movies but it isn't.

To not replicate and advance Ken Adam's set designs from Moonraker is a travesty. They are timeless, they don't need updating. I remember walking into the Moonraker set on Goldeneye 007 and being so excited that the control room was in a video game. Yes they need to take some artistic licence and make it more expansive but why throw away the aesthetics laid down over the series of films?

I will inevitably play this game but I can't say I'm anywhere near excited. I want an immersive experience, I've shot enough helicopters out of the sky on other games to know that the gameplay in scenes we've seen will be as predictably boring as expected.
    Someone said that GE on the N64 added tanks and rocket launchers in sections where the film didn't have those... but that game stayed true to the atmosphere of the original film. This seems completly different from the original films... COD versions of MR and OHMSS bare little ressemblance to their original sources. I don't mind expansion and more action... but too much is too much. GE64 stayed true to the film, while a game like FRWL added endless chases and gun fights that in the end it looked nothing like the original 1963 film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NOT. THIS. AGAIN!!! X(
    NOT. THIS. AGAIN!!! X(

I'm sorry ?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    RC7 wrote:
    If you can't do something original then don't bother.

If we did this, we'd have 1 game released every 9 years. I don't just mean Bond games. 1 video game of any series, any genre, any anything, released every 9 years. Originality died when the word "franchise" was invented.
    RC7 wrote:
    It seems very much like this will basically be GE:Reloaded in a different skin. That would be passable if the 'skin' was aesthetically in tune with the tone of the movies but it isn't.

Why can't the games have a tone all their own? If they slavishly cater to the tone and atmosphere of the films, why aren't we just watching the godd*amn films?!
    RC7 wrote:
    To not replicate and advance Ken Adam's set designs from Moonraker is a travesty. They are timeless, they don't need updating. I remember walking into the Moonraker set on Goldeneye 007 and being so excited that the control room was in a video game. Yes they need to take some artistic licence and make it more expansive but why throw away the aesthetics laid down over the series of films?

Hm... earlier, you were talking about how they're not doing anything original, yet, here you are, complaining about how they're doing something original - not slavishly following the set design. It's quite possible that the film's set design wouldn't have made an interesting game? Did you think of that? I'm willing to bet that's a big fat f*cking no.
    RC7 wrote:
    I will inevitably play this game but I can't say I'm anywhere near excited. I want an immersive experience, I've shot enough helicopters out of the sky on other games to know that the gameplay in scenes we've seen will be as predictably boring as expected.

Immersion is what you make of it. You choose to be immersed or not. You don't want to be immersed into this game, and so you won't be. It doesn't matter how many times I play Metal Gear Solid and shoot down the Hind D on top of the communications tower - I'm still immersed because I want to be. It never gets boring, it never gets old. If you don't feel you're going to like the game,

Simply.

Don't.

Play.

It.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    BLOFELDLOCKE.jpg

xxx
    John Locke sure looked like Blofeld when I watched Lost :))
  • RC7RC7
    Hm... earlier, you were talking about how they're not doing anything original, yet, here you are, complaining about how they're doing something original - not slavishly following the set design. It's quite possible that the film's set design wouldn't have made an interesting game? Did you think of that? I'm willing to bet that's a big fat f*cking no.

I never said they had to slavishly follow the set designs I said 'replicate' and 'advance'. You obviously didn't bother to read before getting angry. Replicate the basis of the set and the iconic visual elements and then advance them to a level where they're suitable to be used and adapted within the design of a level map. So that would be a big fat fucking yes. I did think about it, more so than you clearly.

Also your argument about immersion is utter tripe. By that theory If I pretend this game is awesome then it will be. You're not on The Activision payroll are you? You seem to be getting very angry at perfectly valid questions and arguments.
    It's quite possible that the film's set design wouldn't have made an interesting game? Did you think of that? I'm willing to bet that's a big fat f*cking no.

I reckon they would. Although I'm not complaining about the set design, I know they can't completely recreate the set design. My problems with this game are COD gameplay, lack of other Bonds (I know they can't have done it, but if they can't get other Bonds, I'd rather they came up with an original story with it's own epic moments), and the fact that it seems no different from GE reloaded.

Anyway, like I said before, will they include Bond getting married? Or are they just using the Piz Gloria battle? To be honest it doesn't really matter to be since I'm not buying it, but I was just wondering.
    RC7 wrote:
    We should consider ourselves lucky but, in typical Internet fashion, we are whining.

No we shouldn't. Fans keep franchises afloat and I've been one since 3 years of age. I feel like I have put enough time and energy into supporting Bond, along with countless others, to be able to stand back and say sorry guys you may have dropped the ball here.

I shall wait and see what comes of this game and judge it on the final product but I shall never consider myself lucky to have something that to all extents and purposes suggests a cash-in at my expense.

This.
    SharkBait wrote:
    And Craig has only been in one re-imaging so far. I don't care how much you twist the fact, but he's only been in Goldeneye re-imaging..

And look how that turned out.
  • Between all the bickering and complaining, did anybody notice at the end of the trailer it said '4 more missions to be revealed', with SkyFall already revealed, does that mean 4 more classic missions?
    hmmm plus 7 films would be cooler as it is 007. we'll see perhaps skyfall isn't Carig's bond film in this but an additional part of the game.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow, that trailer looks...hmm. Well.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    OHMSS Looks awesome! It's not a perfect adaptation, but at least OHMSS has one now. I can't wait to throw down with Blofeld on the cable-car. :D
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited July 2012 Posts: 7,854
    RC7 wrote:

I never said they had to slavishly follow the set designs I said 'replicate' and 'advance'. You obviously didn't bother to read before getting angry. Replicate the basis of the set and the iconic visual elements and then advance them to a level where they're suitable to be used and adapted within the design of a level map. So that would be a big fat fucking yes. I did think about it, more so than you clearly.

Also your argument about immersion is utter tripe. By that theory If I pretend this game is awesome then it will be. You're not on The Activision payroll are you? You seem to be getting very angry at perfectly valid questions and arguments.

However, you still claim that they're not doing anything original, yet they are. And how is my argument about immersion "tripe"? In your mindset, the game won't be good, therefore your feelings about the game are already that you won't get into, therefore you won't. Immersion is something you either want or don't, and whether you're immersed into the situation is your choice.

And, if I was on the Activision payroll, I would gladly let you know. The truth is I don't work right now (I'm a writer, pure and simple, and the writing's been slow), can't find a job, and wouldn't take a job at Activision unless they cancelled Call of Duty tomorrow (and I mean the series, I don't just mean Black Ops II).

I'm getting angry at people who b*tch about things without looking at things in perspective, which you refuse to do. It is a game, things will be changed, you can't change that, unless you decide to enter the business yourself. The film and the game are not meant to be one and the same, not meant to be interchangeable, and should not be used as such. Games are to be enjoyed for what they are, not what you demand them to be.
    Between all the bickering and complaining, did anybody notice at the end of the trailer it said '4 more missions to be revealed', with SkyFall already revealed, does that mean 4 more classic missions?

"Revealed" probably means "showing gameplay". We haven't seen gameplay from the Skyfall portion yet, so they'll probably have a trailer for that either the day the game hits shelves, on the game disc, or a week after the game is released.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2012 Posts: 10,512
    I'm getting angry at people who b*tch about things without looking at things in perspective, which you refuse to do. It is a game, things will be changed, you can't change that, unless you decide to enter the business yourself.

Why do you not regard my comments as being in perspective? I fully understand the nature of adapting, I work in the TV/Film industry and have experience of adapting prose to script. It's difficult. I also understand that the same can be said of TV/Film to game. But, this is a story issue and at the moment, who knows whether that will be good or bad? In amongst the shooting and explosions I imagine loose but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

One thing however that can be adapted is the visual language. Film and game are both visual mediums and as such lifting from one to the other is not as tricky as transplanting a storyline. Yes, the storyline they have constructed may necessitate a re-think in the way they have designed the game but in this case I put forward my old argument of - why do it at all then? Do an original game built from the ground up.

My biggest bugbear is the acceptance that what they've done can't be changed so why complain. Illogical argument in my opinion. If that were the case why say anything about anything ever? If it's been done, just accept it. Ridiculous.

Is it too much to ask to see footage that may whet the appeitite? Bond skulking through the corridors of Piz Gloria rather than blowing the crap out of everything in sight. He's James Bond not John McClane.

To conclude, what I say changes nothing, but if I can't vent my frustration on a James Bond forum then point me in the direction of somewhere more appropriate?
    As much as it irks me that the game is a lot different than the film, that's what I realize: it's a game adaptation of a film that, if transferred exactly, would be full of cutscenes and only a few action sequences, and in the end, would be nearly equivalent to watching the movie. All of the Bond games, and film-to-game adaptations, have to undergo a heavy action increase or else gamers will grow tired of what they're playing. After all, this is marketed for the CoD fans, it seems.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    As much as it irks me that the game is a lot different than the film, that's what I realize: it's a game adaptation of a film that, if transferred exactly, would be full of cutscenes and only a few action sequences, and in the end, would be nearly equivalent to watching the movie.

Can I just clear something up here. You may have pointed out the sticking point in a lot of the arguments here, I'm not sure. For me this is absolutely not my argument, I can't speak for others although if people are expecting it to be exactly the same as the film they're borderline retarded. I think the main problem, and again I can't speak for others, is that while we're expecting a different storyline, the one unifying element that ties this back to the film (and let's not forget we're supposed to be enjoying Bond's most memorable missions) is its look and feel. For me what we've seen doesn't capture that. But I'll wait and see.
    No one is expecting the game to be 100% like the films.... but the minimum would be to atleast capture the feel and look of the films.
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    As much as it irks me that the game is a lot different than the film, that's what I realize: it's a game adaptation of a film that, if transferred exactly, would be full of cutscenes and only a few action sequences, and in the end, would be nearly equivalent to watching the movie.

Can I just clear something up here. You may have pointed out the sticking point in a lot of the arguments here, I'm not sure. For me this is absolutely not my argument, I can't speak for others although if people are expecting it to be exactly the same as the film they're borderline retarded. I think the main problem, and again I can't speak for others, is that while we're expecting a different storyline, the one unifying element that ties this back to the film (and let's not forget we're supposed to be enjoying Bond's most memorable missions) is its look and feel. For me what we've seen doesn't capture that. But I'll wait and see.

Bold I've been saying this the whole time, and you've been calling me stupid? The whole time.

Underline Each of these six films has a different look and feel to them. I never feel the same watching OHMSS as I do MR. To put together six different looks and feels would be to create something broken and disjointed. They need one overall look and feel to the whole game, hence the differences.
    @DC007, and by doing that, they wouldn't be able to please the general audience...somehow. Thus, they are just tackling the characters and location, and altering it as they please.
    If the game does not feature Barry's original scores, I will personally go destroy all the editions of the game I'll find in stores in my area. I do NOT want to hear Barry's 'Escape from Piz Gloria' and 'Flight Into Space' epic masterpieces replaced with Hollywoodian techno mayhem. No-one but John Barry can score OHMSS and MR. If his music is not in it, then the game is a huge pile of Mod edit: avoid strong language please. Bypass manoeuvres are insufficient!.
    If the game does not feature Barry's original scores, I will personally go destroy all the editions of the game I'll find in stores in my area.

I look forward to seeing you in the news. I'll be right alongside you if the new Xbox is named the 720.
    Don't get your hopes up then, there's no way they'll use the original scores.
    If the game does not feature Barry's original scores, I will personally go destroy all the editions of the game I'll find in stores in my area.

I look forward to seeing you in the news. I'll be right alongside you if the new Xbox is named the 720.

;) I am serious though - it would be a great insult to John Barry's work if 2 of his best achievement are replaced with typical techno crap.
    Don't get your hopes up then, there's no way they'll use the original scores.

In that case Mod edit: a line is crossed here. Careful, @DaltonCraig007. This isn't the first time such comments were censored over the past two days!. There's no way in hell that I'll accept tampering with 2 of the greatest soundtracks in the franchise.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2012 Posts: 16,335
    If the game does not feature Barry's original scores, I will personally go destroy all the editions of the game I'll find in stores in my area. I do NOT want to hear Barry's 'Escape from Piz Gloria' and 'Flight Into Space' epic masterpieces replaced with Hollywoodian techno mayhem. No-one but John Barry can score OHMSS and MR. If his music is not in it, then the game is a huge pile of.

It's always nice to keep the scores handy on an MP3 player if that happens. ^_^

;) I am serious though - it would be a great insult to John Barry's work if 2 of his best achievement are replaced with typical techno crap.

I am, too. [..] And, though for some reason music in both OHMSS and MR totally escapes me if I'm not watching the films (as it does with all Bond films, I'm afraid), I would rather hear that music than something just made up for no reason. Hopefully, even if they don't use the original music, they get a composer who makes homages to the original tracks, or uses them in his own score (like how certain themes from GoldenEye 007 on the N64 were remixed into parts of tracks on GoldenEye 007 Wii).