007 Legends Announced

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,696
    OHMSS version CoD... Cubby must be spinning in his grave. And I agree, that trailer music is getting very annoying. Can't they come up with a new piece of music after 6 years ? Barry must be spinning in his grave as well.....
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The second i saw a rocket launcher at Piz Gloria, i realized even more that this is a COD-esque game..
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I love that. A preview of a trailer. Now we get trailers for the motherf*cking trailers.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    They've successfully destroyed a classic outing in 18 seconds flat. well done. 8-| the simple thought that people will buy this game makes me retch. this 'preview' to the trailer looks absolutly nothing like OHMSS apart from the snow.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    People will buy COD. Nothing can stop them. When I buy games, it's because they look fun to me, not because they're "this" or "that" (aside from Metal Gear, and maybe Resident Evil, but I've become a bit let down by that series in recent years). It doesn't matter to me if it's COD or Battlefield or Halo or whatever - If I find it fun, it deserves my money.
    it may be fun, but it is nothing like the films depicted in the game. I don't buy Bond games that vomits all over the films it adapts. This game is an insult because it is not destined to Bond fans, nor is it an homage to the 50 years of the franchise.... this game is a brainwash for young generation to make them think Craig has played Bond in every outing, and that every outing are CoD-esque. Bond fans should be up in arms and not buy the game.
    I look at things independently of what they're based. Otherwise, I'd be exactly the same. It's only after I've experienced both that I draw comparisons, look for differences and decide which is better.
    A rocket launcher at Piz Gloria ? that alone should tell you this game doesn't care about Bond or Bond fans, and just want to cash-in on people wanting COD type games. They should change the title as this game is most certainly not an homage to the franchise's 50th anniversary. how can they make such heresy for such an important milestone ? My only hopes now are that the film Skyfall will be good and a proper film for the 50 anniversary. this game is a blatant and shameless way to cash-in on the Bond name and the COD style. yes the game might be fun... but a game that calls itself a Bond game while shytting all over the Bond legacy, I don't buy it.
  • RC7RC7
    If Goldeneye 64 were The Dark Knight of video games it feels like we're entering the 'Batman and Robin' period. I hope it doesn't last long but I don't hold out much hope.

If they make a video game of A New Hope does the Death Star look like the Death Star? Yes! Do you pilot X-Wings? Yes. So why the fuck are there snowmobiles and a Piz Gloria that seems to have nothing but a passing resemblance? Screw you Activision, you have no respect for history and the iconography of a cinematic legend. Shame on you.
    What a massive disappointment it will be when people will realize that the 6 movies depicted in the game will look nothing like the original films. I demand that Activision change the title of the game, as this is not an homage to Bond, as it looks nothing like the movies it adapts. I'm beyond the fact that Craig is Bond in OHMSS or MR, it's no longer the worst insult. The main issue now is that this game looks absolutly nothing like the original movies it is adaptating.
    just want to cash-in on people wanting COD type games

I knew this from the moment the game was announced.
    They should change the title as this game is most certainly not an homage to the franchise's 50th anniversary.

EON has to approve this game, too, which means that they do feel it an homage to the 50th. We don't, but they don't need us to have Bond fans or COD fans. And insofar as changing the title - then they have no brand recognition. It can't be another COD release, because Black Ops II is the big COD this year, and Activision just isn't willing to let two CODs release in a single year anymore.
    how can they make such heresy for such an important milestone ? My only hopes now are that the film Skyfall will be good and a proper film for the 50 anniversary.

They can make such heresy because EON gave them the license. Imagine EON giving the license to, say, the weirdos who made the Katamari Damacy games, who then turn around and make a Katamari Damacy-type Bond game. Still sh*tting on the franchise, still, to EON, a Bond game. Skyfall will be a good film, which I hope doesn't take its 50th anniversary duties the way DAD did the 40th.
    RC7 wrote:
    If they make a video game of A New Hope does the Death Star look like the Death Star? Yes! Do you pilot X-Wings? Yes.

Game designers for some reason take Star Wars more seriously. I still don't get why.
    yes the game might be fun... but a game that calls itself a Bond game while shytting all over the Bond legacy, I don't buy it.

And you see, this is the reason I don't look at as simply "a Bond game". I look at it from multiple angles.

Is it a good shooter?
    Are there good characters?
    Does the story pull me in?
    Will I care after I beat the game?
    F*ck the multiplayer
    and last: Does it deserve the franchise?

I'll take GoldenEye 2010 as an example. Was it a good shooter? Yes. Were the characters good? Overall. Natalya was crap and Xenia was crap, but the rest were not only decent characters but they were well-played. Did the story pull me in? Not so much, but enough to beat the game. Did I care after beating the game? No. Even though I still sometimes play this game, I still don't care. F*ck the multiplayer, yes. Did it deserve the franchise? No it did not. It was a COD game with minor stealth mechanics added on, but I still enjoyed it, and it still met three and a half of my six requirements.
    EON has to approve this game, too, which means that they do feel it an homage to the 50th.

In this case EON are run by a bunch of morons, idiots and incompetents, because there's no way that anyone can seriously believe this is anywhere close to being a faithful homage to Bond's 50 anniversary. MR looks nothing like MR, OHMSS looks nothing like OHMSS. We are past the problem some have with Craig replacing past Bond actors. We are the point the adaptations look nothing like the original films.

EON has to approve this game, too, which means that they do feel it an homage to the 50th.

In this case EON are run by a bunch of morons, idiots and incompetents,

Well, since EON are run by people who want money at all costs - yeah.
    All my whining about Craig replacing Brosnan, Moore and Lazenby is completly irrelevant now. The huge issue now is that MR looks nothing like MR, and OHMSS looks nothing like OHMSS. The issues are bigger and bigger. The game might still be fun, but it's a complete failure in the homage department, which seemed like the main point of marketting for the game. The title is '007 legends'. All I see is Daniel Craig, and 2) the films depicted look nothing like the original films.
  • RC7RC7

And you see, this is the reason I don't look at as simply "a Bond game". I look at it from multiple angles.

Problem is, it is a Bond game. It's called 007 Legends.

What it boils down to is that Activision purchased a licence which they no longer really care about. EON don't have the first clue about video games and rely on Activision to do a professional job. It's the same as selling the rights to your novel to a studio. The end product may not be what you imagined but you hope all parties are pulling in the same direction. Most of the time they're not. If Activision deliver a convincing enough pitch then who are EON to argue, they make films not games.

If they were going down the route they seem to have taken I don't understand why they didn't just think 'hey sod having a narrative, lets do 10 stand alone games that last between 30-40 minutes each'. You get a big sodding world map and you click on a location you want to play, oh it's Jamaica. I have to infiltrate Crab Key and kill Dr.No. Awesome. Next I'm going to the Meditteranean, oh I have to destroy the Liparus before tracking Stromberg to Atlantis. Maybe even Afghanistan, I have to ride out with the Mujahideen and attack the Russian airbase. Every month you release some DLC - as it seems everyone has to do these days! But this time, it's worth it. Gradually you add all the most iconic action moments from the series and you get to play as each Bond. #

No one but Bond fans will buy 007 Legends so why not cater to them and deliver a different type of game. At least you might pick up some gamers along the way. A poor man's COD is not a way to shift units.

Yes it's obvious 007 Legends will be another big flop, as everyone will buy Black Ops II, the real COD game which is out 2.5 weeks after Bond... which leaves only Bond fans to buy 007 legends.... so why insult them with adaptations that look nothing like the original films ?
    All my whining about Craig replacing Brosnan, Moore and Lazenby is completly irrelevant now.

It was irrelevant to begin with. Not like you could have changed it, or anything.
    The huge issue now is that MR looks nothing like MR, and OHMSS looks nothing like OHMSS. The issues are bigger and bigger. The game might still be fun, but it's a complete failure in the homage department, which seemed like the main point of marketting for the game.

I don't know if this is much of an issue. I never expected MR or OHMSS to look anything like their films to begin with. Once I knew the Reloaded engine was at work, I knew this would be exactly the same: take the plot, take the characters, put them in similar surroundings (purpose-wise), press play. And this would not be the first time marketing for a Bond game failed.
    The title is '007 legends'. All I see is Daniel Craig, and 2) the films depicted look nothing like the original films.

Well, I was never surprised that only Craig would be Bond. Connery loves being retired too much to return, Lazenby's probably scared of returning, Moore's off doing something for Unicef, Dalton would have probably said no, and the same with Brosnan. Plus, considering a point of the game is to tie these six films together, how exactly are you gonna do that with six different people playing the same role?
    @Agent007391, this game is being advertized as an homage to Bond's 50th anniversary, and more specificly to 5 classic outings.... so it is a major issue with your so called 'homages' look nothing like the original films.

And my complaint about having Craig replacing past Bond is a worthy complaint - it brainwashes young generation and makes them think that only Craig has played Bond. And now they brainwash them further by making them believe all Bond movies are COD-esque, that there were snowmobiles and rocket launchers at Piz Gloria.........
  • RC7RC7
    considering a point of the game is to tie these six films together, how exactly are you gonna do that with six different people playing the same role?

Do what I said and have standalone games within a larger world. Why does it have to be linear? Oh I know, Because when it comes to franchises developers couldn't really care less about creativity and invention go out the window.

@Agent007391, this game is being advertized as an homage to Bond's 50th anniversary, and more specificly to 5 classic outings.... so it is a major issue with your so called 'homages' look nothing like the original films.

What? I don't think you get what I'm saying. While it is marketed as an homage, it clearly is not. I knew that it wouldn't be, and therefore I've come to terms with that. Really, anybody who saw the name "Eurocom" anywhere near the game should have known it wouldn't be. I suspect Treyarch would have made a better homage game.
    And my complaint about having Craig replacing past Bond is a worthy complaint - it brainwashes young generation and makes them think that only Craig has played Bond. And now they brainwash them further by making them believe all Bond movies are COD-esque, that there were snowmobiles and rocket launchers at Piz Gloria.........

What do you mean it "brainwashes young generation and makes them think that only Craig has played Bond"? I've met plenty of kids who started with Craig but know that he wasn't the first Bond. I think your issue is less with Craig himself and more with the current reboot status of Bond. And as far as brainwashing kids into thinking all Bond movies are COD-like games, the problem there lies with how popular COD has become. If COD hadn't become popular, then Bond wouldn't copy COD. People (not even just kids) want COD out of every FPS nowadays, not just Bond. And Bond is only primarily FPS because of GoldenEye on the N64. That game's monumental success has thus destroyed it, thanks to the influx of COD clones out there.
    RC7 wrote:
    when it comes to franchises developers couldn't really care less about creativity and invention go out the window.

Exactly. You already have the backbone of the franchise to stand up with, all you need to do is keep it going with something that'll sell. This is the pit that game developers have dug themselves into. They feel they need to compete with what's popular, and right now (and probably for the forseeable future), that's COD.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 9,790
    Having just replayed it, the greatest spy game in the past 10 years was Alpha Protocol... so Obsedian (i think is the company behind it) needs to get bond away from activison and create a bond game seriously Just imagine how cool it would be!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, really? I heard it was completely buggy and full of faults and glitches. That's why I never gave it a chance - if a developer doesn't take the time to clean a game up before release, they won't be seeing my money. Then again, about 99% of games that release these days have major, game-breaking glitches attached.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 9,790
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Risico007, really? I heard it was completely buggy and full of faults and glitches. That's why I never gave it a chance - if a developer doesn't take the time to clean a game up before release, they won't be seeing my money. Then again, about 99% of games that release these days have major, game-breaking glitches attached.

I have played it 5 times and had only one glitch period

the game was enthralling brilliant and fun.. I'll go one step further Batman Begins for Ps2 (not a spy game) has better locations and more interesting atmosphere then even the EA bond games (though it was made by the same game) and is way better then Activision. Will I buy 007 legends of course I'm a Craig fan... am I happy with the way i'm getting these games nope.

The preview of the trailer showcasing OHMSS.

xxx

Was that it?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @Risico007 I liked Alpha Protocol. I hope they make a sequel with better shooting, less glitches, that let's you choose from a variety of voice actors and that has better AI. Maybe they could even make it open world. Still, Alpha Protocol was a fun spy game that definetly blows the latest Bond games out of the water.
    The preview of the trailer showcasing OHMSS.

xxx

I'm starting to lose my optimism and starting to think it'll be crap again.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm very disappointed that was all we got. Oh, well. More soon?
    A trailer for a trailer. What a joke. I'll be steering clear from this game.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm very disappointed that was all we got. Oh, well. More soon?

I hope not, apart from the announcement of the cancellation of this game. These 16 seconds were enough to show that the game will be nothing like the films it depicts.... snowmobiles and rocket launchers in Piz Gloria ? :)) Only EON could greenlight a homage game for their 50 anniversary that takes a huge dump on the Bond legacy. This game will be another major flop, as most video gamers will buy the real COD game - Black Ops II that is released 2.5 weeks after 007 Legends.
    @DaltonCraig007, I couldn't agree more.
    These 16 seconds were enough to show that the game will be nothing like the films it depicts.... snowmobiles and rocket launchers in Piz Gloria ? :)) Only EON could greenlight a homage game for their 50 anniversary that takes a huge dump on the Bond legacy. This game will be another major flop, as most video gamers will buy the real COD game - Black Ops II that is released 2.5 weeks after 007 Legends.

1) Did you really think the game would be faithful to the films? Video games have a very good track record of taking the story of the film, adding in enough action to keep casual gamers interested, and then changing whatever's necessary to make that action justified. Let's face it: no game developer is making a game targeted toward the film's audience. When a game is based on a movie, they want the game to cater to a large audience.
    2) Please, find something other than snowmobiles and rocket launchers to complain about. There's plenty else in the screenshots we've already seen.
    3) You've still got the films to fall back on, they haven't taken those away from you.
    4) Black Ops II would sell more if the entire game was sheep herding with the words "Call of Duty" on it. Whether or not this game is good has nothing to do with people buying a COD game.