The Girls' Room

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote: »
    GG, certainly you can join. :)
    The Girls Room has been pretty quiet for some time now.

Too quiet I'd say, but I guess everyone is busy doing other things.

@SuzanneStone oh, he looks great! The best he's looked since CR I think.
    Léa looks stunning, I really like her look. This summer I got a shirt dress much in the style that she uses in Morocco and I'd really like to know what lipstick she is wearing on the train, it's so beautiful!

@Gustav_Graves I don't think there is such a list, sorry.
    Seeing so many males go on about how Craig is totally ugly and unattractive, it is nice to see his looks being appreciated by those who should know what they are talking about! I think many of them will still insist you are wrong though... :))
    jobo wrote: »
    Seeing so many males go on about how Craig is totally ugly and unattractive, it is nice to see his looks being appreciated by those who should know what they are talking about! I think many of them will still insist you are wrong though... :))

You're so right :-)) ! No offence to the heterosexual male fans around, but the female Bond fans (and gay Bond fans for that matter) are much better at gauging the attractability of each Bond actor that any of you.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 6,601
    I certainly sometimes doubt the male ability to judge male attraction considering WHo you sometimes think could be a good Bond and who is attractive. Some of them are plein bland to me or totally average and uninteresting looking. ;) So, good for us, Babs is a female :D
    I certainly sometimes doubt the male ability to judge male attraction considering WHo you sometimes think could be a good Bond and who is attractive. Some of them are plein bland to me or totally average and uninteresting looking. ;) So, good for us, Babs is a female :D

[-O<
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Sandy wrote: »

[-O<

I always considered myself as fairly capable of gauging the competition, but the thing is, so many women, so many tastes (same goes for the gay men of course). I can understand why people are attracted to, say, Brad pitt or George Cloony (my ex didn't like either, nor does my girlfriend) but I didn't quite grasp why my then 25y/o (now ex) girlfriend would swoon over Gary Oldman. Another one my current girlfriend doesn't find attractive at all..
    For my money it isn't about looks too much, more about charisma. And Craig may not be the best looking man on earth, but he does have a lot of charisma.

Same goes for all those guys working out in the gym. I've heard so many girls complain about it, preferring men with a little tommy over all those muscles.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    For my money it isn't about looks too much, more about charisma. And Craig may not be the best looking man on earth, but he does have a lot of charisma.

As a heterosexual male, & at the risk of invading a private girl's affair, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Craig is able to transcend his looks (and he is not unhandsome, although he is not a face model either).
    Yes, you are right. Its much more about the certain something then looks. Same with girls/women. I believe, even the prettiest gal will become boring, if there is nothing else going on. IF you look for a partner, that is, and not just a bed compagnion,
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I will represent my wife's view here if that's ok.
    She finds Craig incredibly attractive, especially in CR. She is always blown away by how handsome Brosnan is, but finds him less attractive than Craig.

Do you girls think that Craig did himself no favours with the short haircut in SF, or do you think he was just as attractive as in CR and QoS , just in a different way?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 6,601
    No, he didn't do himself a favour. In a way, it seemed to me, that he overdid it with the stunt work and going to the gym after a 14 hour day etc. etc. If I look at him in the "arriving in Scotland with Judi" sequence for example, he looks gaunt and incredibly exhausted. Had nothing to do with the role.

Maybe it was good, that his leg forbid some of that and that way, he had lost no or little weight and looked a lot healthier throughout (well, from what I saw) and hence more attractive.

But even in his worst moments, when he smiles, there is nothing prettier to me. ;)

He is one, who needs to be discovered. His beauty is not "right into your face".

I always considered myself as fairly capable of gauging the competition, but the thing is, so many women, so many tastes (same goes for the gay men of course). I can understand why people are attracted to, say, Brad pitt or George Cloony (my ex didn't like either, nor does my girlfriend) but I didn't quite grasp why my then 25y/o (now ex) girlfriend would swoon over Gary Oldman. Another one my current girlfriend doesn't find attractive at all..

Same goes for all those guys working out in the gym. I've heard so many girls complain about it, preferring men with a little tommy over all those muscles.
    ¨

Absolutely it's more about charisma. But opinions still differ about anyone. Where some see charisma, some don't. Which I'm sure, on the whole is a good thing and as it should be, of course. ;) But basically charisma, or that "something" comes first, looks come second. Someone with charisma will look better because of it, and someone with good looks, but no charisma is simply not attractive. (Not to me, anyway.) Many men often don't believe that women think so, which has always made me wonder if they really mainly find women attractive based on looks more than anything else. The looks side of it is easier to understand, hence why it's maybe easier to understand attraction to Pitt or Clooney than Oldman. I like them all, but no swooning...

Talking of actors, the level of attractiveness is not something that just stays the same. The characters they portray can be very different - being different people and all - so how attractive the actor is in any role naturally depends on the character as well. Maybe an obvious observation, but that often gets ignored. And again, I'm not talking about how the character looks. Nor am I saying that an unpleasant character couldn't be attractive.
    It's also something that people disagree on quite a bit, but that's my view anyway. One can really disagree even with people who find the same actors attractive. :P

I also think some muscles can be nice, but not necessary at all... to me nobody is attractive because of them, but they are nice - but not necessary - on an otherwise attractive person. Too much is too much, though, and the effect goes just "eww" pretty quickly. Opinions differ, again, some women do find lots of big muscles very attractive - not that I personally know any who do. For me, apart from the looks side of it (=nice, unless overdone), there's also vanity to muscles. Getting and keeping them takes lots of time and effort, and it quickly goes beyond just keeping in shape and taking care of oneself. Professional athletes are a different case, they get muscle definition and all that from doing their jobs several hours a day, so it's not extra effort to "look good" just for the sake of it. The same goes for actors who are required to work out for certain roles, so it's part of the job. Otherwise... it becomes a question of why do people bother. It's the same with other stuff - clothes, hair, anything. (The same for women.) I think that if a person needs to put a lot of time and effort into what they think makes them look good, then that implies vanity and lack of confidence, and I don't find that positive or attractive.

bondjames wrote: »

As a heterosexual male, & at the risk of invading a private girl's affair, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

You're both correct.

Oh and it's not that "private" here, you're not intruding. ;)

NicNac wrote: »
    I will represent my wife's view here if that's ok.
    She finds Craig incredibly attractive, especially in CR. She is always blown away by how handsome Brosnan is, but finds him less attractive than Craig.

Do you girls think that Craig did himself no favours with the short haircut in SF, or do you think he was just as attractive as in CR and QoS , just in a different way?

Of course it's ok. And I agree with your wife.

For me the Skyfall look wasn't good. Still an attractive guy, of course, but somewhat less so. Oh and btw, I really, really like his voice - very attractive.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,976
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Of course it's ok. And I agree with your wife.

For me the Skyfall look wasn't good. Still an attractive guy, of course, but somewhat less so. Oh and btw, I really, really like his voice - very attractive.

and that reminds me of another story. A long time ago I was backpacking in Australia when I met this very attractive girl, who was dating an increadably ugly Scot. Now, normally I'm not really the type to judge people on their looks, but boy was there a league difference there. So one night ( I was 18 and felt that if I'd know his secret I would in the end perhaps stand a chance with at least a normal girl) I asked her what she found so attractive in him, as, for me, it seemed they were of a different class. She looked at me thoughtfully and said: 'yes, that's true. He isn't really handsome or anything. It's just his accent I love so much!'. As you can understand, that made my glimmer of hope pass away, as a Dutch accent is never, ever, ever a sexy accent...

Aww... And being 18 is tough enough anyway, surely.

In any case, I'm sure voice quality and accent opinions vary as much as looks or charisma opinions. :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I look at attractiveness in different ways.

From a solely sexual point of view I really would choose Daniel Craig. I want him to do things to me, and I to him :D He has this raw sexual power oozing that I find quite astonishing*
    As for handsomeness it's definitely Pierce Brosnan, he is classically handsome and he is the type I could fall in love with, he seems to be perfect marrying material and after all that what counts in life.
    I never had the hots for Connery, Moore or Dalton. They are just not my type. Except for Moore who I would see as marrying material too, but the sexual component would be missing too much there for me I guess.

Don't get confused, I'm not gay, I belong to that group that gets mostly forgotten somehow, I'm bisexual. At one point in my life, after a lot of different experiences I have fallen in love with a woman who is my soulmate and I have married her. So happily married with young kid now.

*One of my dreams would be to have a threesome with Craig and Bellucci. She is one of my favourites since Matrix and I've seen every single movie of her since.
    I'm so excited she's now a Bond woman.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    OK, well...erm..thanks for that...Jason..maybe we should now vacate this thread and leave it to the girls. :-&
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,081
    @BondJasonBond006, I must say your opinions vary so much from thread to thread and day to day that I'm utterly confused and not sure what you actually think about anything. Maybe that effect is intentional, I don't know. I don't, for in stance, understand how the same person (or are you a multiple personality case? ;) ) can find Craig both really ugly and awful and all and then attractive as well...

I've never looked at Bond as "marrying material" anyway, so can't really comment on that. (Nor the actors playing him, for that matter.)
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    @BondJasonBond006, I must say your opinions vary so much from thread to thread and day to day that I'm utterly confused and not sure what you actually think about anything. Maybe that effect is intentional, I don't know. I don't, for in stance, understand how the same person (or are you a multiple personality case? ;) ) can find Craig both really ugly and awful and all and then attractive as well...

I've never looked at Bond as "marrying material" anyway, so can't really comment on that. (Nor the actors playing him, for that matter.)

I never said, Craig was really ugly or awful.
    What I said, is that Craig is neither charming nor handsome, especially when compared to the other Bond actors.
    And I did state elsewhere that I would find Craig sexually attractive. That's not the same as finding somebody handsome or charming.
    My opinions don't "vary". I differentiate, especially in the context a thread is made.

I seem to remember differently. I bet some others do as well. :)

However I agree that handsome and sexually attractive are very different things. As are charming and sexually attractive. Being charming is pretty important to being attractive, though - for me, that is.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I seem to remember differently. I bet some others do as well. :)

However I agree that handsome and sexually attractive are very different things. As are charming and sexually attractive. Being charming is pretty important to being attractive, though - for me, that is.

Nope, sorry I have to reject that.
    This is the "worst" I ever said of Craig in terms of his looks.

"Daniel Craig is a chav, at least that's what my female friends, colleagues and family members say. Some women like that of course.

Honestly If I ask my gay side it would probably want Craig >:) "

"Well, very working class vibe, I'm sorry but he is a typical chav type in my opinion, in youth and today, just hiding it cleverly under the tailor-made suits and designer clothes in the movies.

The only thing that's missing to complete the picture are some gold chains around his neck.

And, no, I don't hate Craig, just saying. "

More I have not to say about this matter.
    Back to topic. It's a ladies room.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It would be a great joy if somewhere out there Dan was reading some of this; I'd just get a kick out of it, I guess.

While on this topic, I must confess that this past summer has been a bit of an awkward one around my mother, because she has in just a few months developed a full-blown crush on Dan, always going on about how he's the handsomest man in Hollywood and that she likes his rough demeanor and looks.

From my perspective, I'm sure the reasons why many people find Dan attractive is for the same reasons I respect him as a man in general. He is outspoken and unafraid to say what needs to be said, he is a private man with a protective way about him, he does his job for the joy of it and doesn't care for the awards or glory (art for art's sake, as Wilde would say), and for how busy he is he always uses a vast amount of his time to traveling around the world aiding causes that are important to him and the world at large. All the best things about Dan and why I respect him so much go so far beyond his physical looks, good, bad or indifferent. Only rating him on his outward appearance makes cheap the beauty inside of him.

What I'm trying to say here is: you ladies have the right idea! If only filthy tabloid rags could be more like you all.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Jason, not the comments I was thinking of, but I don't wish to continue on that any more than you do.
    It would be a great joy if somewhere out there Dan was reading some of this; I'd just get a kick out of it, I guess.

While on this topic, I must confess that this past summer has been a bit of an awkward one around my mother, because she has in just a few months developed a full-blown crush on Dan, always going on about how he's the handsomest man in Hollywood and that she likes his rough demeanor and looks.

From my perspective, I'm sure the reasons why many people find Dan attractive is for the same reasons I respect him as a man in general. He is outspoken and unafraid to say what needs to be said, he is a private man with a protective way about him, he does his job for the joy of it and doesn't care for the awards or glory (art for art's sake, as Wilde would say), and for how busy he is he always uses a vast amount of his time to traveling around the world aiding causes that are important to him and the world at large. All the best things about Dan and why I respect him so much go so far beyond his physical looks, good, bad or indifferent. Only rating him on his outward appearance makes cheap the beauty inside of him.

What I'm trying to say here is: you ladies have the right idea! If only filthy tabloid rags could be more like you all.

I'm not so sure he'd get a kick out of this, though. :))

I can imagine the situation might be a bit awkward with one's mother... :D

Rating anyone on their outward appearance makes cheap the beauty inside. Looks are always, always secondary to anyone in the end. And I don't mean that just in general terms, but also when it comes to the matter discussed, attractiveness. What they are like as people is what matters, if we are talking about actual people. The difficulty when talking about actors is sometimes trying to separate when people are talking about an actor in a role or that actor as themselves. You clearly meant the actual person, and I agree those qualities are admirable. Having qualities one can admire and respect is always good in itself, but doesn't make a person attractive in that there are many people with those qualities I still wouldn't find attractive... simply decent people.

Why anyone finds someone attractive is a bit of a mystery, I think. It can be intellectually explained afterwards with qualities such as the ones you mention and others, and I'd say that while those kinds of things increase respect and admiration and therefore attraction, they don't cause the initial attraction, which tends to occur before one knows much about the person. Certainly for the attraction to stay and increase good qualities are needed, but one doesn't really look at someone thinking "outspoken, a good person, etc. etc. therefore attractive". Nope, it rather goes the other way around. One is attracted first on some level to pay attention to the person and find out more, and then it can be, "oh and a good person, too, that's fantastic!" I can't imagine being able to find anyone attractive for long if I didn't find them to be people I can admire and respect. But that comes with time. Not necessarily a lot of time, but still. One doesn't immediately know much anything about anybody.

Talking of actors, I find some attractive even though I know very little about them. The one I know most about I also find most attractive, which is hardly a co-incidence... the more I learn, the more I care in every way. The knowledge comes through research, though, and one doesn't just randomly start research on someone, so there has to be initial attraction to take time and effort.

Craig comes somewhere in between. I have seen pretty much everything he has done, and have spent some time on interviews and stuff, so I'm not entirely ignorant, but would still say I know relatively little. But far more than about most other actors for sure. I do respect the qualities you mentioned, but I'd barely know about them if I hadn't liked him to begin with.

Hopefully this makes some sense... I know what I mean, but I'm not sure if I manage to verbalize it.

And yes, of course we have the right idea. ;) Tabloids wouldn't be tabloids if they were anything like us. :P
    Aww... And being 18 is tough enough anyway, surely.

In any case, I'm sure voice quality and accent opinions vary as much as looks or charisma opinions. :)

Well, my accent has improved since ;-)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Sorry to barge in on the ladies room, but I was wondering what the female opinions on Seydoux are?

I seem to be in a (male) minority in that I don't really see 'it'... this isn't about her measurements or anything, just a certain 'je ne sais quoi' that I feel she lacks.
    Maybe I will be convinced once she appears on screen, certainly hope so...
    Dunno, she isn't the most beautiful ever. I don't dislike the gap, but her much too long teeth. Other then that, I guess, she has to make up with IT, that I think, she might have.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Sorry to barge in on the ladies room, but I was wondering what the female opinions on Seydoux are?

I seem to be in a (male) minority in that I don't really see 'it'... this isn't about her measurements or anything, just a certain 'je ne sais quoi' that I feel she lacks.
    Maybe I will be convinced once she appears on screen, certainly hope so...

I've barely seen her act in anything (the little I've seen has been forgettable - but I've only seen little, so...), and haven't seen interviews, etc. either, so I don't really have an opinion of her beyond her being pretty.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    Dunno, she isn't the most beautiful ever. I don't dislike the gap, but her much too long teeth. Other then that, I guess, she has to make up with IT, that I think, she might have.

I'm glad casting has changed a lot since "GoldenEye". Back in the Brosnan days, and even the late Moore-era, Bond girls were casted solely for their looks. It seems the Craig-era is still doing that, but come on girls? Lea Séydoux is the first ever Golden Palm winner becoming a Bond girl. Sam Mendes even admitted it himself: "I wanted to have more experienced actresses for these roles".
    I agree. Plus I said, I believe, she has what it takes to make a memorable Bond girl.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Women should keep silent on the forum, but you may post here.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Good grief it's dusty in here better open a window and let some fresh air in .
    How sexist - a thread only for women ? ;)