Since the series 'rebooted' what do you think happened to THAT Bond after Die Another Day (or EON)?

Comments

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    edited January 2013 Posts: 523
    I couldn't agree more with the latest 2 posts ! Excellent ! Thank you @lordofthejimmy and @Yojimbo for great explanations.

Except for Moore's ending film : better with Octopussy.
    Honestly, I wish Brosnan had gotten one more Bond film to redeem himself if you will. It's a shame he had to end on DIE ANOTHER DAY, because now everyone judges his Bond on that performance alone (as if one was to judge Connery on DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER or Moore on A VIEW TO KILL). Because GOLDENEYE was spectacular, TOMORROW NEVER DIES was great, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH was good (not as good as the first two) and DIE ANOTHER DAY was just a mediocre film (surely not the worst). 3/4 ain't bad.

So if Brosnan had gotten his 5th Bond film, I though it would have been good if they ended it with a FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE story of something like FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (should have been Moore's last Bond film) or maybe a Craig-like Bond adventure.

I would have loved to see Bond get together again with Wai Lin (always considered her to be the best Bond girl and very disappointed they didn't reprise her character in DIE ANOTHER DAY).

Because Brosnan was older at this point, I think it would have been good if they captured an older Bond near the end of his career. Perhaps he's just given a well-deserved vacation after the events from the last movie, contemplating how much longer he can keep this up, until an attempt is made on his life. He almost gets killed before Wai Lin intervenes and tells him there's a bounty on his head. It becomes a more Flemming like story with Bond trying to find out who's behind it. Perhaps John Cleese's Q can turn up as Desmond Llewelyn did in LICENSE TO KILL offering him some gadgetry, more to the effect of GOLDENEYE than the over-the-top DIE ANOTHER DAY, and of course provide humor for the film (I dunno, I really would have liked to see more of Cleese as Q).

Bond and Wai Lin track down the mastermind who wants his head. Bond has a worthy showdown with him (A la Trevelyan in GOLDENEYE or Grant in RUSSIA WITH LOVE). He escapes and shacks up with Wai Lin for a while, developing a more intimate connection.

For those of you who want a bookend for Brosnan's Bond, he retires and stays with Wai Lin.

Damn, I want to see this movie now!

Give this man an award...man i really want to see a Brosnan film like this...a Never Say Never Agianish adventure
  • Well hopefully it would be better than Never Shay Never Again...
  • Even if Brosnan had given us a better release than Die Another Day (no hard task), with one more appearance, I always insist the actor was too old for the part by the start of this century, and The World Is Not Enough would of been a great time to quit and leave with the head held high

Connery stayed too long after Thunderball, and Moore after For Your Eyes Only in the same aspect of things. Brosnan for me, was out of shape and dare I say it, simply not as believable by the time of 2002. It merely contributed to an overall poor release that year. So that said, maybe a re-boot was necessary, even if I never was one for the idea
    Even if Brosnan had given us a better release than Die Another Day (no hard task), with one more appearance, I always insist the actor was too old for the part by the start of this century, and The World Is Not Enough would of been a great time to quit and leave with the head held high

Connery stayed too long after Thunderball, and Moore after For Your Eyes Only in the same aspect of things. Brosnan for me, was out of shape and dare I say it, simply not as believable by the time of 2002. It merely contributed to an overall poor release that year. So that said, maybe a re-boot was necessary, even if I never was one for the idea

Do you think a reboot was necessary? or just a change in actors? To me there wasn't anything to warrant a reboot, but maybe a change in actors, and definitely a change in tone (although I thought the first half of DAD was fine).
  • I just don't like the idea of a re-boot above all else. It's almost as if James Bond began in 2006 with the Craig tenure, and all other releases are void and redundant before that, sometimes

I don't think it was necessary, No. Ok, Bond finished on a lame note in 2002 with an out of sorts Brosnan and an overall lousy release, and it needed a shot in the arm, and new actor, but a re-boot ? No - I don't think that was required. But that's my perspective. Once more, I just don't like what they did with things. New Bond, New Ideas, fine. But nothing more, was really necessary I feel
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2013 Posts: 5,976
    A reboot was necessary if they wanted to do CR as Bond's first mission. And CR would not work as well if it weren't his first mission--Bond's gullibility is part of the story.
  • The series didn't *need* the reboot nor did it not need the reboot. Look, Brosnan's Bond didn't fight Dr. No in 1962 so we'd already rebooted in a way. The thing that I like about the reboot is that a fresh start gives us an actual journey to go on, which to me makes the films and the character of Bond more satisfying.
    the only reason why Babs and MGW wanted a reboot was to stay in "Fashion" because
    of Christopher Nolan's Batman Series (which are immensley overrated- though Begins was okay)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,894
    echo wrote:
    A reboot was necessary if they wanted to do CR as Bond's first mission. And CR would not work as well if it weren't his first mission--Bond's gullibility is part of the story.

CR didn't have to be Bond first mission (it wasn't in the book). Adapted into a film, CR still could have been made for an experienced Bond.
  • There is definitely an argument that Bond in SF is a continuation of th DAD Bond and that CR and QOS were standalone films. Personally I don't know if that's right. I think Craigs first films were there to establish a gritty new Bond without the frills of the Brosnan era. Now having set that up with those 2 movies they had licence to have a little more fun for Dan's third outing, but what are forums for if not twisted debates.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    002 wrote:
    After Everything or Nothing this probarly happened:

002 wrote:
    Damn-- I saw that video posted a few days ago but only now got around to actually watching it!
    That
    was
    AWESOME!!!

Pierce should have had one more round, no doubt. You know what I thought the whole time watching that trailer? If they ever decided to bring back a former Bond in an unofficial NSNA type of movie, THAT'S how you do it!

I really need to watch some of Brosnan's post-Bond movies-- he still very much looks the part

if you think that is awesome you should see the property of a lady trailer for Timothy Daltons:

Oh man, I love these faux trailer fanvideo. Yeah for Dalton, if there wasn't issue in the early 90's, he could've had opporunity to play Bond.

• After DAD, the Bond wakes up from a dream...because it was all so fake.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    After DAD, the Bond wakes up from a dream...because it was all so fake.
    Haha, yeah:

*Bond tosses and turns, mumbling*

"...ehhh...Madonna makes ears bleed...Jinx, damn copycat...gene therapy...ahhh.....quit spouting mottos, Graves...ehhh...Mr. Kil, a name to die for haha not funny...can't discern the weight of a loaded and unloaded gun...amateur...why can't Miranda be Bond girl...please let Jinx die...please, I...beg you...please...surfing glaciers...ugghhh...Moneypenny using glasses...I'm good especially when bad...makes no damn sense...yay...credits...

*ALARM CLOCK BEEPS*

Bond: "WHAA?! *wipes brow of sweat* Whew, thank the stars it was all just a bloody dream..."
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,924
    I like to imagine Pierce's Bond in DAD continues as Connery's Bond in NSNA. Here's how I see it:

In DAD, when Bond is released from the Korean prison, MI6's full body scan reveals his liver is 'not too good'. Despite M telling him he's no good to anyone, deep down, M knows he can make a comeback. He is, after all, the best MI6 has. If he hadn't escaped the ship (and followed the trail to Zao), he would've immediately been sent to the health clinic we see at the start of NSNA- then the training exercise to review his performance. Anyway, after the events of DAD, Bond is debriefed on that mission. Enter NSNA. Bond takes part in a training exercise. Upon seeing the young woman tied up on the bed, his mind momentarily wanders, thinking of Jinx restrained in the laser room days before. This lack of concentration causes him to fail the exercise- he's too wrapped up with trying to free the woman to think she might be a threat. This, together with M's continuing concern with his health (especially the toxins he consumed in his previous capture in Korea), leaves M no choice but to send him to the health clinic to clear his system of all toxins and 'free radicals', and simply to have a break from work. However, it's not all relaxation at the clinic, as we find out. After NSNA, Bond retires.
    Die Another Day vs Never Say Never Agian

both have their good moments but both have awful moments

so its a tie
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    @ QBranch : Another possibility. I like it.
    I just don't like the idea of a re-boot above all else. It's almost as if James Bond began in 2006 with the Craig tenure, and all other releases are void and redundant before that, sometimes

I don't think it was necessary, No. Ok, Bond finished on a lame note in 2002 with an out of sorts Brosnan and an overall lousy release, and it needed a shot in the arm, and new actor, but a re-boot ? No - I don't think that was required. But that's my perspective. Once more, I just don't like what they did with things. New Bond, New Ideas, fine. But nothing more, was really necessary I feel

I think a reboot was necessary at the time, for a few reasons: 1)DAD had really sent the franchise to the bottom, it was a spoof of itself really and Bond had lost his credibility. 2)as we were getting away from the Cold War, it was more difficult to picture Bond as a Cold War veteran, especially with Craig (or any potential successor of Brosnan at that time) for Bond 3)CR works better as an "origin" story, so to speak.

And let's not forget that it was, is now a partial reboot, as SF reintroduced elements from the original series. We can now imagine Craig's Bond going after Dr. No, fighting Goldfinger, etc. in a modern setting.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    Ludovico wrote:
    I just don't like the idea of a re-boot above all else. It's almost as if James Bond began in 2006 with the Craig tenure, and all other releases are void and redundant before that, sometimes

I think a reboot was necessary at the time, for a few reasons: 1)DAD had really sent the franchise to the bottom, it was a spoof of itself really and Bond had lost his credibility. 2)as we were getting away from the Cold War, it was more difficult to picture Bond as a Cold War veteran, especially with Craig (or any potential successor of Brosnan at that time) for Bond 3)CR works better as an "origin" story, so to speak.

And let's not forget that it was, is now a partial reboot, as SF reintroduced elements from the original series. We can now imagine Craig's Bond going after Dr. No, fighting Goldfinger, etc. in a modern setting.

I guess 007 Legends filled that in for us (Sorry I have to mention 007 Legends).

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2013 Posts: 5,976
    echo wrote:

CR didn't have to be Bond first mission (it wasn't in the book). Adapted into a film, CR still could have been made for an experienced Bond.

It wouldn't have been as believable for a more experienced Bond to be duped by Vesper after falling for her so hard. That's the point of "The bitch is dead."

Although undoubtedly inspired by the success of Batman Begins, wiping the slate clean with CR allowed Bond to be more vulnerable to Vesper. The previous incarnation of Bond had had numerous experiences with duplicitous women (TB, YOLT, LALD, TWINE, etc.) and would have looked more pathetic in the CR scenario.
    echo wrote:
    echo wrote:

It wouldn't have been as believable for a more experienced Bond to be duped by Vesper after falling for her so hard. That's the point of "The bitch is dead."

Although undoubtedly inspired by the success of Batman Begins, wiping the slate clean with CR allowed Bond to be more vulnerable to Vesper. The previous incarnation of Bond had had numerous experiences with duplicitous women (TB, YOLT, LALD, TWINE, etc.) and would have looked more pathetic in the CR scenario.
    And let's not forget the reboot allowed for new grounds to be explored: reintroducing characters and giving them a background, having story arcs and recuring adversaries again, etc.
    Ludovico wrote:
    echo wrote:
    echo wrote:

And let's not forget the reboot allowed for new grounds to be explored: reintroducing characters and giving them a background, having story arcs and recuring adversaries again, etc.

I especially like your remark on recurring adversaries... Theres only one Bond adversary that is iconic enough to be reintroduced IMHO. ;)
    Quantum07 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    echo wrote:
    echo wrote:

I especially like your remark on recurring adversaries... Theres only one Bond adversary that is iconic enough to be reintroduced IMHO. ;)

I wonder who...;-)
  • That Bond retired and became M...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,924
    @ccnn But I have a skiing jacket. How?... It's tailored!
    He's still trying to find where he parked his invisible Aston Martin, as John Cleese thinks he left his comedy touch inside the vehicle
    He became a minotaur
    minatour.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He hooked up with Wai Lin & they now live in Jamaica.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He changed his name to Peter something and became well known in the CIA as The September Man or something like that. :P
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    He lives in the Bahamas with Salma Hayek