Since the series 'rebooted' what do you think happened to THAT Bond after Die Another Day (or EON)?

Comments

How do I upload pictures? I've got an even better one of Brosnan.

I think I can guess which one that is ;)
    He and Wade have a renting business in the Bahamas and he left Jinx for Salma Hayek.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    SharkBait wrote:
    He and Wade have a renting business in the Bahamas and he left Jinx for Salma Hayek.

A trade up. Even though Jinx is hot neck and below (face is pretty good too), Salma Hayek is even more mmm. :P
  • I agree, I like Salma better than Halle. And even better, Salma smokes cigars like me. The things I would do to Salma can't be repeated here =P~
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It would've been great if when she rose out from the sea Jinx feel forwards, hit her head on a rock, and drowned. Or, better yet, Ursula breaks the fourth wall, swims over to Jinx, and shoves her under until the bubbles stop. :)
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 115
    I think what happened to the Dr. No - DAD Bond was that he quit the service after DAD due to MI6's mistreatment of him for thinking he was leaking information whilst held captive out in North Korea. However...He was soon asked back for one last mission in order to rescue a professor called Dr. Katya Nadanova... :D
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think we shouldn't overthink and overanalyze this. :D Continuity in the Bond franchise is crap. I think we can only count on the fact that he always is the same guy (same personality, favourite drink, snob, etc.). The rest just doesn't work. I think it's better to see the movies as more separate unities (but not too separate).
    I'm sort of thinking along these lines. There simply is no re-boot. Bond's time line is a wonky old thing with funny paralells all over the place. Craig follows Brosnan because M is the same except older. It doesn't make sense of course because nothing does in Bond's world. The only people who over think it all (of course) is us lot.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The DN-DAD Bond retired, changed his name to Julian Noble, spent the next four years as an amazing assassin, until he finally had an emotional breakdown and his new boss put a contract out on him. He eventually killed said new boss, and lived out the rest of his life in Greece.
    After Everything or Nothing this probarly happened:

or if people who believe that James Bond is a timelord he regnerated and got amnesia into Daniel Craigs Bond
  • 002 wrote:
    After Everything or Nothing this probarly happened:

Brilliant trailer you found there. No doubt had the film been real then the potential shown there, as with half of Brosnan's films, would have been used badly.
    Damn-- I saw that video posted a few days ago but only now got around to actually watching it!
    That
    was
    AWESOME!!!

Pierce should have had one more round, no doubt. You know what I thought the whole time watching that trailer? If they ever decided to bring back a former Bond in an unofficial NSNA type of movie, THAT'S how you do it!

I really need to watch some of Brosnan's post-Bond movies-- he still very much looks the part
    Firing Brosnan was a terrible mistake. I have somewhat of a hard time dealing with it sometimes. But if I were a Dalton or Lazenby fan I would have mental problems, stemming from my favorite Bond only doing one or two movies.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I don't think Skyfall's Bond will be a continuation of Brosnan's and thankfully so. Once they rebooted they started everything from scratch. That's like saying Christian Bale's Batman will now be a continuation of Keaton's. Brosnan's Bond is done.

As far as what happened after DAD I could imagine him retiring to a life of pure leisure as he was looking old and the North Korea stint probably wore down on him.

Honestly even though I know the Bond series only follows 2 sets continuity (Connery through Brosnan and than Craig) I kind of always saw it as 3 personally. Connery, Lazenby, and Moore are all the same man which makes sense as Connery and Moore are more or less the same age and we see the character age from 1962 to 1985. I can see that Bond retiring from the service after AVTAK.

TLD in many ways struck me as a reboot, although the word didn't exist at the time so it seemed more like a continuation. Dalton and Brosnan's Bond would be the same character which is easy to believe as they look very similar and it's established in GE that Brosnan's Bond was 007 during 1986. That Bond would've been around from the early 80s to 2002. As for the change in attiude who knows.

And then finally we have Daniel Craig's Bond. Yes, I know they're are technically only 2 characters to be James Bond but it's an interesting way of looking at it.

Lazenby, Connery, Moore, and Dalton are all playing the same character. The Tracy references seal it.
    Me for one, actually LOVED how Die Another Day started. I loved the camouflaged Aston Martin, but some things killed all the excitement midway. The unreal laser thing etc.
    Otherwise it was a good movie.
    Damn-- I saw that video posted a few days ago but only now got around to actually watching it!
    That
    was
    AWESOME!!!

Pierce should have had one more round, no doubt. You know what I thought the whole time watching that trailer? If they ever decided to bring back a former Bond in an unofficial NSNA type of movie, THAT'S how you do it!

I really need to watch some of Brosnan's post-Bond movies-- he still very much looks the part

if you think that is awesome you should see the property of a lady trailer for Timothy Daltons:

• edited April 2012 Posts: 4,813
    just incredible!! I'd kill a man to see Dalton come back in a movie like that !!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This actually made me want to see Dalton do one or two more films.
  • When Michael, Barbara, & Martin Campbell casted Daniel Craig as James Bond, the character became more tougher, intest, & agressive. Daniel Craig added a great unique styles as 007.
  • To respond to a couple of previous posts, I think that we're now in the third era of film Bond. Although Connery and Moore had different styles I see there as being one James Bond between DN and AVTAK. Then we didn't get a true reboot, but a slight shift when Dalton was cast (for example, Bond and Tracy's marriage was retconned to 1979 instead of 1969 in the press notes for LTK). This continued through with Brosnan so it's the second era from TLD to DAD - different actors but same Bond. Then of course we have the third era which started off with a true reboot - CR through to...well, we'll have to wait and see :-)

Interesting though at the Designing 007 exhibit to look at Bond's passports and how his year of birth changes between the actors. Even Dalton and Brosnan's Bonds had their birth dates about 10 years apart IIRC.
  • DAD would have served it's purpose as the last movie of that continuity way better if Brozza really did end up with Moneypenny IMO
  • AliAli
    Last I heard, Bond married Meryl Streep, and is living on a secluded Greek island where his horrible affliction...randomly singing ABBA off key and out of time, can bother the least number of people.
  • A lot been said about Brosnan in DAD, I think Lee Tamahori and some super-dodgy Physics-defying special FX were the issue. I would have liked to have seen a Bond directed by Stephen Frears, who I believe was attached to direct at one point.

The story wasn't particularly bad, it was just told very badly. In fairness, the franchise was in trouble after The World Is Not Enough and a reboot then would have been appropriate. In any case, the whole franchise is headed in a better direction now. Thankfully
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    edited January 2013 Posts: 523
    I personally think it's just a fashion effect from the US (or similar from anywhere) action movies that "fired" the original character happening between "Dr. No" and DAD...

The video "007 : cruising for retribution" could explain it in a scenario.

I hate that reboot term because it isn't : DAD was at the time of 2002, the highest benefit for EoN Productions and a beloved 007 film. We all know it contained mistakes, but celebrating the 40th anniversary of the franchise and telling it's dying... I find it out of subject. Quite a shame.

It was all in the profit way, nothing more. They didn't know what to do after DAD's success and decided to change the recipe. Probably due to fearing the global (not for us true fans) boredom it could have been after 21, 22 or 23 similar type of films.

A half good idea, for me. Because making CR a modern film with a 1953 book (yes, think about the opening in africa, the airport scene and mobiles spy codes, for instance) was a mistake ; I'd rather watch a true "original atmosphere", Quentin Tarantino wanted with Brosnan. And truly respecting the book, nothing more, nothing less. Then, we would have had the first and genuine 007 story.

On the other hand, I don't think Tarantino was the right choice neither, and Brosnan's tenure an illogical cast showing the very first and younger James Bond.

To end up, firing Pierce Brosnan was one of the biggest failure in the franchise ; just on e more film as 007 and it was total jackpot. I didn't mentioned the fact he already was 49 in 2002...but still didn't look that age (like 42-45 years old) in DAD, IMOO.
    Lets not forget Brosnans last bond assignment was in Everything or Nothing in 2004
    video game or not it its still canon

the activison games (well except Blood Stone) are not canon
  • RC7RC7
    002 wrote:
    Lets not forget Brosnans last bond assignment was in Everything or Nothing in 2004
    video game or not it its still canon

the activison games (well except Blood Stone) are not canon

:-O
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Why aren't the Activision games canon (I mean Blood Stone)?
    The bond franchise is hurled into a inescapable black hole. An appropriate title for bond 21 if Brosnan continued his tenure in the same vain of DAD.
    I have a hard time accepting a reboot. I feel like it's blatant disregard of loyal fans of the series. I guess we can say that the three Craig films take place before DN and we just happen to have two different female Ms played by the same actress (which kind of undermines Dench's speech in GE).

But I prefer to think that CR takes place after DAD. I figure while Bond is hanging out in North Korea being tortured and playing with scorpions, MI6 sort of write him off, as they do in SF until they think he's been hemorrhaging information. During this time MI6 has probably stripped Bond of his 00 license. So, once he's tied up the loose ends with the DAD plot and has done away with Sparkles and Gustav, its time to get his 00 status back in the CR pre-credits. Why is Bond angsty? He's been tortured for a year (was it a year?) in North Korea and MI6 didn't really help him out, and then didn't trust him to not divulge information. Why is M not trusting of Bond? He's been tortured for a year (was it a year?) in North Korea and is probably shaken by the incident.

About being introduced to Felix Leiter Again; this ones a little bit of a stretch, but we can say that Felix Leiter is a cover name much like Tom Clancy's John Clark. The Felix Leiter from DN to LTK is all one character, but understandably, they would have to shuffle him to a desk job because he could no longer work as a field agent (due to the leg) or maybe make him a station chief like Henderson (YOLT). The Felix we meet in CR is simply his replacement using the same code name.

Continuity problem solved

Then in Skyfall we get,

New M: Also a code-name: no problem
    New Q: Also a code-name: no problem
    New Moneypenny: erm..............hmm.....
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 32
    Honestly, I wish Brosnan had gotten one more Bond film to redeem himself if you will. It's a shame he had to end on DIE ANOTHER DAY, because now everyone judges his Bond on that performance alone (as if one was to judge Connery on DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER or Moore on A VIEW TO KILL). Because GOLDENEYE was spectacular, TOMORROW NEVER DIES was great, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH was good (not as good as the first two) and DIE ANOTHER DAY was just a mediocre film (surely not the worst). 3/4 ain't bad.

So if Brosnan had gotten his 5th Bond film, I though it would have been good if they ended it with a FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE story of something like FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (should have been Moore's last Bond film) or maybe a Craig-like Bond adventure.

I would have loved to see Bond get together again with Wai Lin (always considered her to be the best Bond girl and very disappointed they didn't reprise her character in DIE ANOTHER DAY).

Because Brosnan was older at this point, I think it would have been good if they captured an older Bond near the end of his career. Perhaps he's just given a well-deserved vacation after the events from the last movie, contemplating how much longer he can keep this up, until an attempt is made on his life. He almost gets killed before Wai Lin intervenes and tells him there's a bounty on his head. It becomes a more Flemming like story with Bond trying to find out who's behind it. Perhaps John Cleese's Q can turn up as Desmond Llewelyn did in LICENSE TO KILL offering him some gadgetry, more to the effect of GOLDENEYE than the over-the-top DIE ANOTHER DAY, and of course provide humor for the film (I dunno, I really would have liked to see more of Cleese as Q).

Bond and Wai Lin track down the mastermind who wants his head. Bond has a worthy showdown with him (A la Trevelyan in GOLDENEYE or Grant in RUSSIA WITH LOVE). He escapes and shacks up with Wai Lin for a while, developing a more intimate connection.

For those of you who want a bookend for Brosnan's Bond, he retires and stays with Wai Lin.

Damn, I want to see this movie now!