Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig (poll added)

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Univex wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan was a bloated William Shatner by the end of it.
    He was great in GE.
    Villains were weak.
    He had an invisible car at some point.
    Who cares about video games? (although G64 was very nice)
    Halle Berry?! Teri Hatcher?! Denise Richards?! Wow, how lame can you get?

Daniel Craig all the way man.

But...cheers.

To be fair though, alot of those problems weren't Brosnans fault. I'd bet my life savings that he never turned up and said "y'know what, I want to shag Halle Berry and drive an invisible car, put it in the script"

Craig might be a better actor, but so far, I have enjoyed Brosnans Bond more. I'm looking forward to Skyfall though, I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I really feel like this will be a real classic Bond film, with some seriousness. Like a Dalton film maybe.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Brosnan. Pierce Brosnan.

hmmm, I haven't actually seen a Brozzer film in a while but I am trying to not let my judgement be clouded by the abuse he gets. I haven't really seen anything from DC so far that really impresses me, hopefully that will change with SF but currently I would have to say I favour Brosnan.
    Univex wrote:
    He was great in GE.
    Villains were weak.

But...cheers.

To be fair though, alot of those problems weren't Brosnans fault. I'd bet my life savings that he never turned up and said "y'know what, I want to shag Halle Berry and drive an invisible car, put it in the script"

Craig might be a better actor, but so far, I have enjoyed Brosnans Bond more. I'm looking forward to Skyfall though, I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I really feel like this will be a real classic Bond film, with some seriousness. Like a Dalton film maybe.

That´s all very true. I used to worship the man when I was 15 or something, but he never delivered the Bond film I imagined, labeith not his fault of course. The closest he got was in The Thomas Crown Affair. I guess the silent type suited him better as Bond, not the "I thought Christmas only came once a year" type. Pierce was the Bond that could have been great, and wasn´t. That´s why I put him there with Lazenby (who wins the fight just because he had the perfect Bond film). Off topic, I love Roger Moore, he´s the man, but I don´t like him as Bond as much as I like the others. Still, wonderfull person all the way (and I do enjoy TMWTGG very much).

So, for me, it´s still:

1. SC
    2. TD
    3. DC
    4. GL
    5. Roger Moore (although Roger Moore rules and is the better man of the lot)
    6. Pierce Brosnan (although he would be in 4th or 5th if it hadn´t been for DUD)

Mind you, when I was 15 and hadn´t read the novels, I´d put Brosnan in 2nd just after SC, but hey, life goes on, and people make mistakes...like DAD. That being said, long live DC...free of DADs....please.

Personal views, of course. Cheers.
    royale65 wrote:
    Brosnan. Pierce Brosnan.

Yes indeed!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Brosnan is my second favourite and Craig is very close behind him in third at the moment. From what I've seen, Skyfall should tip the scale in Craig's favour and he will nab second spot from Pierce.

Just a side-note on Brosnan. I never understood the hate. People say he just took a mix of elements from Moore & Connery, and in my opinion he took the best elements of both. The more brutal, physical yet charming side of Sean, and the cheeky humour of Roger. So, he's the best of both worlds. What is the damn problem? I love all the actors who have played Bond, even Lazenby, who was good despite some wooden aspects of his acting. Pierce is no different, the guy did a damn fine job with the stuff he was given. Most scenes from GE and the scene where he kills Elektra are proof of his abilities. I wish they gave him more like those.

Craig? Well I don't need to say anything really. He might not be perfect looking for the role, but he sucks you in and makes you believe his performance. The guy's great.

We've been very lucky with the six actors we've had playing this iconic character. VERY lucky.
    Craig? Well I don't need to say anything really. He might not be perfect looking for the role, but he sucks you in and makes you believe his performance. The guy's great.
    That´s actually very well put. Cheers.
    While both are a far, far cry from what James Bond is (according to the books) I would have to say Brosnan on looks alone. He also has a twinkle in his eye at times and likes his drink and wine. Craig lacks all these tells or traits.

Craig does not look like Bond and before anybody says anything looks do matter. Try picturing Craig in a Superman costume. No.
  • Definitely Craig. Absolutely no contest. I never believed Brosnan as Bond. I could never buy into the adventure or anything because he was just totally miscast. They cast him purely on his looks and that was a major error. Craig has a great rugged yet charming look going on and the man can act his butt off! So Daniel Craig all the way! :)
    Well, Brosnan is closer to how I envisioned Bond. I had this idea of Bond as being sauve and debonoir and Brosnan fit perfectly. That's why I was shocked when Craig became Bond---he didn't seem to fit the part. To be honest, I still dojn't think he fits the part, however, I've expanded my thinking on how Bond should be. For me, Craig's Bond is just a different interpretation of the character. He's not worse or better, just different.
    No doubt about it Daniel Craig.. I am in agreement that Brosnan looked the part.. and should not be punished because the scripting was too many one liners. I think Daniel Craig is more believable because of the action sequences... but that they need to make sure they don't lose the charm and sophistication of Bond in reinventing him.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 172
    Grant wrote:
    While both are a far, far cry from what James Bond is (according to the books) I would have to say Brosnan on looks alone. He also has a twinkle in his eye at times and likes his drink and wine. Craig lacks all these tells or traits.

Craig does not look like Bond and before anybody says anything looks do matter. Try picturing Craig in a Superman costume. No.

So every actors must suitable in a Superman costume if they want to be Bond?
    i thought the casting process is about acting...
  • chuck007 wrote:
    Grant wrote:

Well said Chuck. By that standard, Roger Moore didn't look like Bond either with the light brown hair.
    chuck007 wrote:
    Grant wrote:

Well said Chuck. By that standard, Roger Moore didn't look like Bond either with the light brown hair.

also by that Superman standard, I think Connery didn't look like Bond either because Connery using toupee??? i think its ridiculous if the criteria only "looks". To me acting skills and commitment to the characters are more importants
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2012 Posts: 1,347
    Easy choice, <font color=green>Craig</font>. I put up a poll too (I guess it's kinda late for that, but I wanted to try ;) )
    Brosnan is in the lead! Yes! He totally earns it.
  • If everyone who responded comes back to vote, Craig will win easily.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Daniel Craig.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Brosnan will always be my favorite one, but so is Craig.. To me, its both. But those days of fantasy with Bond is over ever since they rebooted with CR, this is a whole new 007 era and both Daniel Craig and Brosnan are in the world of their own.
    In the poll, it should actually be 7-6, not 8-5, because I wanted to vote for Brosnan but clicked Craig by accident. Just letting you know.
    Craig for me. The fact that he could still be an awesome Bond in a poor(ish) Bond film (QOS) proves to me that he's become one of my favorites.
    In the poll, it should actually be 7-6, not 8-5, because I wanted to vote for Brosnan but clicked Craig by accident. Just letting you know.

That's your underconscience :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Sure, by "accident". You now know the truth @thelivingroyale. ;)
    Univex wrote:
    He was great in GE.
    Villains were weak.

But...cheers.

Bloated? he looked older but he wasnt fat- lets not forget he got into his late 40's at that point- but look at the bits in North Korea he looks good for his age

Goldeneye was good

Brosnan's Villians were weak? have u seen Craig's villians- Lee Chiffe was decent but Dominc Greene is the worst villain of the entire 50 year franchise- a girlscout is more threatening than a weak pansy frenchmen who wants a few extra dollars on people's waterbills

the video games are part of the franchise- though some are non-canon atleast brosnans games had originality not like Daniel Craig's Call of Duty rip offs.

people hate the invisible car sure its naff but it isnt like one of Roger Moore's Moonraker gadgets- The Bondala?

what is lame about them? they were hot...alright Teri Hatcher was a bit of a stretch but come on who wouldnt want to bed them back at that peroid of time.
  • OOOIIIII....the bondala was class!!!!!!

anyway, im going to be controversial and say...

...Daniel Craig.

He destroys PB in every way. Although i thought he was cool as when i was younger, DAD was one film too far and GE always makes me think it was written more specifically for Tim Dalton. If PB had continued in that vain, i think he'd certainly be considered higher than he is now by Bond afficiandos
    Daniel Craig

PB looks the part but just didn't do it for me. Maybe he tried to hard. "IMO"
  • chuck007 wrote:
    chuck007 wrote:
    Grant wrote:

also by that Superman standard, I think Connery didn't look like Bond either because Connery using toupee??? i think its ridiculous if the criteria only "looks". To me acting skills and commitment to the characters are more important.

I'm not exactly sure when Sir Sean started wearing a toop, but I don't believe it was the entire time he was Bond. For sure in DAF and maybe YOLT, I can't remember exactly when. Someone help me out here?

Toop or not, he established the look and that is difficult to dispute. DC and Sir Roger are still not the norm in that department, yet both have been successful in the role. It seems that exact hair color is less important to the general public than acting skills and story content.

I'm not exactly sure when Sir Sean started wearing a toop, but I don't believe it was the entire time he was Bond. For sure in DAF and maybe YOLT, I can't remember exactly when. Someone help me out here?

Toop or not, he established the look and that is difficult to dispute.DC and Sir Roger are still not the norm in that department, yet both have been successful in the role. It seems that exact hair color is less important to the general public than acting skills and story content.

Yes, wearing Toupee or not Connery are the "Blueprint" of Bond, he set the standard. For me Craig follow the blueprint although not exactly refined like Connery, Craig definitely follow the standard (move, fighting skills and sense of humor) IMO of course
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,677
    002 wrote:
    Univex wrote:
    He was great in GE.
    Villains were weak.

But...cheers.

Bloated? he looked older but he wasnt fat- lets not forget he got into his late 40's at that point- but look at the bits in North Korea he looks good for his age

Goldeneye was good

Brosnan's Villians were weak? have u seen Craig's villians- Lee Chiffe was decent but Dominc Greene is the worst villain of the entire 50 year franchise- a girlscout is more threatening than a weak pansy frenchmen who wants a few extra dollars on people's waterbills

the video games are part of the franchise- though some are non-canon atleast brosnans games had originality not like Daniel Craig's Call of Duty rip offs.

people hate the invisible car sure its naff but it isnt like one of Roger Moore's Moonraker gadgets- The Bondala?

what is lame about them? they were hot...alright Teri Hatcher was a bit of a stretch but come on who wouldnt want to bed them back at that peroid of time.

1)Again, GE was good

2) I´m not comparing Brosnan´s villains with Craig´s villains, if I were I´d say Greene is about as interesting as Carver (0%). And no Brosnan villain beats Le Chiffre, except maybe Alec

3) No, they´re not. Film franchise is film franchise, or else we´d be talking about the novels, the comics, the... You simply can´t compare an actor´s job in a film with a actor´s job in a ´motion-capture suit, except if you´re talking about Andy Serkis

4)Yes, the Bondala is as ridiculous as the invisible Aston. I hate them both

5)Natalya was hot but underhotted in the film ;), Electra was sensual in a devious way, Xenia was very...very fine, but the others were embarrasing. Besides, not one of them compares to the Vesper and Solange combo. Ok, Camile was as sensual as any other Brosnan Bond girl I´ll give you that. That being said, I hope that rumour about Severine being in a scene filmed with only a string on is true ;)

I'm not sure, but I think I read / heard somewhere that Connery was using a little of "fake hair" in all of his movies. Even in Dr. No.