Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

Not bad for a movie that suffered from budget cuts.
  • htall90 wrote:
    The lowest form of wit :))
    Yet seemingly the hardest to pick up on.

That's disgusting.

Are you just here to troll or do you actually want to join in an intelligent discussion?

You, intelligent, discussion lol

Keep bruising and bullying people you disagree with, it's your full time job isn't it? There's no discussion with you, if you don't like it you ram your ego inflated nonsense down people's throats with your arrogant meddlings. Grow up and stop trolling me and you know what I'm talking about.

Just keep to your bullied clique and leave me alone you kotha ma chodth.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    htall90 wrote:
    The lowest form of wit :))
    Yet seemingly the hardest to pick up on.

That's disgusting.

Are you just here to troll or do you actually want to join in an intelligent discussion?

You, intelligent, discussion lol

Keep bruising and bullying people you disagree with, it's your full time job isn't it? There's no discussion with you, if you don't like it you ram your ego inflated nonsense down people's throats with your arrogant meddlings. Grow up and stop trolling me and you know what I'm talking about.

Just keep to your bullied clique and leave me alone you kotha ma chodth.

Ah...mate? I don't think I have ever talked to you on these boards more than a few times in passing. You have my personality completely wrong, and any member that actually pays attention here will tell you that. I don't know where the random hatred is coming from, but that'd be great if this thread could be put back on topic and your ambiguous ranting can go out the door. After dealing with trolls all month leading up to and past Skyfall, @DRESSED_TO_KILL's streak of agony inducing threads and comments that led to his disrepute amongst us all, even more trolls after that, and now this. I don't know if all this degradation just comes with the time of year, but I can tell you that last year this time was quite fine. Some need to learn Christmas spirit I feel. @forgotmyusername. More like @forgotmymanners.
    :-t
    In France, 394 892 more tickets sold (including mine), for a total of 6 134 045 movie viewers.
  • Do you guys think the Box Office success of Skyfall will affect the budget of Bond 24? Also one thing I've noticed is how Bond (with the exception of Skyfall to a degree) hasn't been that much of a pull in the states since the 60s (I read somewhere that, inflation adjusted, Thunderball clocked $500million in the us back in 65), my Dad had a theory that the Americans don't like to see anyone save the world that isn't American, but then by that logic the Harry Potter series should have flopped right? As well as LOTR and other franchises... what d'you guys think?
    Tobester95 wrote:
    Do you guys think the Box Office success of Skyfall will affect the budget of Bond 24? Also one thing I've noticed is how Bond (with the exception of Skyfall to a degree) hasn't been that much of a pull in the states since the 60s (I read somewhere that, inflation adjusted, Thunderball clocked $500million in the us back in 65), my Dad had a theory that the Americans don't like to see anyone save the world that isn't American, but then by that logic the Harry Potter series should have flopped right? As well as LOTR and other franchises... what d'you guys think?

I think you can gather from those three very British franchises that the creative force from outside of the US are generally well favored by people that have a wee bit of good taste. ;)

That said, I do not think the Mission Impossible series will work without Tom Cruise or the Jason Bourne series without Matt Damon. Generaly the US franchises do not last as long.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @forgotmyusername, you couldn't possibly be any more incorrect about your outlook of Brady's personality.

On topic, I'm seeing SF on BoxOfficeMojo stands at $798,397,800 now.

I'll be seeing it for a fourth time by the end of this upcoming weekend. Hoping to hit the Alamo Drafthouse near my home for this viewing so I can have a Heineken alongside Mr. Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    Tobester95 wrote:
    my Dad had a theory that the Americans don't like to see anyone save the world that isn't American

Me too. How else do you explain M:I doing better than Bond there?
  • Tobester95 wrote:
    Do you guys think the Box Office success of Skyfall will affect the budget of Bond 24? Also one thing I've noticed is how Bond (with the exception of Skyfall to a degree) hasn't been that much of a pull in the states since the 60s (I read somewhere that, inflation adjusted, Thunderball clocked $500million in the us back in 65), my Dad had a theory that the Americans don't like to see anyone save the world that isn't American, but then by that logic the Harry Potter series should have flopped right? As well as LOTR and other franchises... what d'you guys think?
    RC7 wrote:
    Sorry, why are we comparing Skyfall to Inception?

BoxOfficeMojo is probably doing it because both films have a very British/European Oscar-heavy starcast. 'Inception': Tom Hardy (British), the late Pete Postlethwaite (British), Michael Caine (British), Cillian Murphy (Irish), Marion Cotillard (French). 'Skyfall': Daniel Craig (British), Ralph Fiennes (British), Judi Dench (British), Naomie Harris (British), Javier Bardem (Spanish), Berenice Marlohe (French). Not to mention two of the finest British directors: Christopher Nolan and Sam Mendes.

Also, considering the plot, the theme, the drama/emotions, the atmosphere and the intelligence of the story, 'Skyfall' and 'Inception' are IMO much more than just Bond-esque films (I know, 'Skyfall' IS a Bond film, but it is IMO much more than just a Bond film). 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' was truly fun, but where 'Inception' and 'Skyfall' go further exploring depths and themes, 'M: I - GP' simply stops. Also, 'Inception' 's production budget was around $170 million back in 2010, if I'm not mistaken, closer to 'Skyfall' 's production budget. 'M: I - GP' was around $145 million in 2011.

Moreover, and people tend to forget this, 'Skyfall' could be the first film from the Bond franchise since 'For Your Eyes Only' that will get several Oscar nominations. And not just an Oscar nomination for 'Best Song'. If I am right and the Oscar nominations come in, 'Skyfall' will stand very lonely in the top of 'Best Action/Espionage Thrillers', much more than just 'Best Bond films'. In comparison to 'Inception'? 'Inception' won four Oscars out of eight nominations. 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol'? Great entertainment, but no big nominations.

Summarizing: Considering the production size, the expensive Oscar-heavy star cast, the money it brings in, the award outlook, the production cast (directors, cinematographers), the storyline/screenplay/plot and the overall intelligence and atmosphere of the movies, I'd rather compare 'Skyfall' with 'Inception', just like BoxOfficeMojo is doing. In fact, it deserves to be compared with 'Inception'.
  • RC7 wrote:
    Tobester95 wrote:
    my Dad had a theory that the Americans don't like to see anyone save the world that isn't American

Not anymore...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=spy.htm
    ..and its save to say, it got Bourne, too.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Tobester95 wrote:

Not anymore...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=spy.htm

Good stuff. You need to get it to Batman levels for 24!
  • News! Another landmark.

$800,262,078, worldwide.

Source: Box Office Mojo, 11/30/12
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,601
    bondtheory wrote:
    News! Another landmark.

$800,262,078, worldwide.

Reason to celebrate - well, for most :)
  • bondtheory wrote:
    News! Another landmark.

$800,262,078, worldwide.

Many fists were pumped today.
    900 million is certainly a possibility and without the help of 3D too!
    Currently 4th highest grossing film of the year. Only $75 Million to be in 3rd.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Right! Tomorrow, I'm going to oxford street to buy a hat which I will take home and eat.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Well it's hit my prediction (800) and looks like it's going to soar past it. You win internet, I was wrong.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 96
    Guesses as to the remaining figures for America? China and Japan? Is 900 reachable?
    Curious whether opinions are changing for anyone.
    I say its gonna be around 18 mill in the US this weekend. I think, 900 is possible and most likely, IF indeed China does perform normally despite being the last.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote:
    Right! Tomorrow, I'm going to oxford street to buy a hat which I will take home and eat.

I would try a good bakery first @doubleoego ;) Chocolate tends to be a lot tastier than straw or wool.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 366
    Skyfall still has a few million to do in the UK and US and and the China release next year, I think now it could over take Goldfinger.

And if EON really want to out do Thunderball then maybe a IMAX release sometime in the future.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I say its gonna be around 18 mill in the US this weekend. I think, 900 is possible and most likely, IF indeed China does perform normally despite being the last.

At this point 900 mill is a lock and 1 billion is very likely.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sandy wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

I would try a good bakery first @doubleoego ;) Chocolate tends to be a lot tastier than straw or wool.

I'll stop off at Greggs bakery first

ok, so I predict 1 billion and if not then I'll... eat a shoe. :)
    :D th_chocolate_sculptures-shoe-4.jpg
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    ivehjm.png

In all seriousness though $800m is a fantastic result, far beyond anything we all anticipated.
    Germanlady wrote:
    :D th_chocolate_sculptures-shoe-4.jpg

LOL *gulps*