"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Wigan looking good against Southampton so far. Interesting start to the match.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don’t know, but the EPL has the ‘Je ne sais quoi’ enjoyed by clubs like United in 70s/80s
    What je ne sais quoi did Utd enjoy in the 70s and 80s because je ne sais quoi que ils ont gagné? Is being relegated something to be enjoyed?
    001 wrote: »
    You were laughing when i said Salah was World Class :)

Now his worth over $150 Million. :)
    Let's see how he does next season. Harry Kane has been scoring at this rate for 3 seasons and is only now being talked of as world class.
    His record is brilliant, but lest we forget Ashley Young had him in his pocket the other week. You build a reputation as a ‘World Class’ over several seasons and several competitions. You turn up when the chips are down, not just to bang in a few more once you’re already cruising.

That’s not to take anything away from his achievements this season, but he has more to prove.
    Yep. The biggest laughing stock in football management (apart from Wenger obviously) didn't have much trouble in completely nullifying him at Old Trafford last week. The QFs against City will be a far better gauge of his world classness rather than some flat track bullying of a supine Watford who are already on the beach.

jobo wrote: »
    @RC7
    Of course quality is meassured by results!
    Is it? I thought we had this out a while back and your position was that football was about aesthetics and entertainment and a scrappy park the bus 1-0 smash and grab was anathema to your tiki taka sensibilities?
    However when one league is completely dominating European competitions over an extended period of 5-10 years.
    It's actually the past 4 years. Between 2007 and 2013 there were only two Spanish CL finalists whereas over the same period there were 6 English finalists and 4 German finalists. But don't let the facts get in the way of your pro La Liga propaganda.

• edited March 2018 Posts: 17,280
    Southampton makes it 0-1. Better from the away team in the second half.
    Penalty to Southampton, but keeper saves it!
    Edit: and then it's 0-2! Going into added time, this game is done. Southampton to the next round, although Wigan did a good effort. Had some decent chances, but couldn't score.
    Man Utd face Tottenham and Chelsea play Southampton in the FA Cup semi-finals.
    Thank goodness for a win at last at Carrow Road on Saturday!!!! Much needed win and three points for sure going into another pointless international break!
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,280
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Thank goodness for a win at last at Carrow Road on Saturday!!!! Much needed win and three points for sure going into another pointless international break!

Hate international breaks. Might try and catch a few games, but it's not the same as league matches.

Any news about the Tettey injury? Must be good to get a win without "the Tettey effect" to rely on!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 1,575

Hate international breaks. Might try and catch a few games, but it's not the same as league matches.

Any news about the Tettey injury? Must be good to get a win without "the Tettey effect" to rely on!

I hate international breaks too. :( So boring zzzzzzz :)
    Hm

Finally we agree on something! ;)

Yeah it is, Unfortunately we got Fulham and their wonder kid next!

Yeah it is, Unfortunately we got Fulham and their wonder kid next!

That's a tough fixture - a home match, at least!
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Mohamed Salah leads Lionel Messi in European Golden Shoe race.

Mohamed Salah's four-goal haul for Liverpool on Saturday saw him take the lead in the race for the European Golden Shoe.

Salah helped Jurgen Klopp's side thrash Watford 5-0 at Anfield on Saturday and took his goal tally for the season to an incredible 28 in just 30 matches.

That puts the Egyptian on 56 points, six clear of second-placed Lionel Messi, who grabbed Barcelona's second in their 2-0 win at home to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 7,500
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Mohamed Salah's four-goal haul for Liverpool on Saturday saw him take the lead in the race for the European Golden Shoe.

Salah helped Jurgen Klopp's side thrash Watford 5-0 at Anfield on Saturday and took his goal tally for the season to an incredible 28 in just 30 matches.

That puts the Egyptian on 56 points, six clear of second-placed Lionel Messi, who grabbed Barcelona's second in their 2-0 win at home to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

He might. And he might not. But who the fuck cares about the Golden Shoe? I am much more interested in who wins La Liga...

Messi has won three Golden Shoes in his career. In the 11/12 be finished with 50 (!!) League goals! Yes, League goals, not total. But this latest interview revealed how much he really values goals after all:

- "Whether I play well or not isn't even about the goals. it's about being participative on the pitch, getting the ball frequently, make good decisions, not lose balls, it's never about making goals. Scoring goals doesn't mean I played well."

- "There have been times I've scored goals and played poorly. But goals cover everything up. Playing well is not about scoring goals. "

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/975540712161849346
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

He might. And he might not. But who the fuck cares about the Golden Shoe? I am much more interested in who wins La Liga...

Messi has won three Golden Shoes in his career. In the 11/12 be finished with 50 (!!) League goals! Yes, League goals, not total. But this latest interview revealed how much he really values goals after all:

- "Whether I play well or not isn't even about the goals. it's about being participative on the pitch, getting the ball frequently, make good decisions, not lose balls, it's never about making goals. Scoring goals doesn't mean I played well."

- "There have been times I've scored goals and played poorly. But goals cover everything up. Playing well is not about scoring goals. "

Bullshit. If messi doesn't score goals barca are more likely to lose.
    He gets bonuses for scoring goals too $$$$$$

He probably gets bonuses for winning the European Golden Shoe or Ballon dor from his sponsers and maybe club as well.

Barca don't care as much about la liga as they do about winning the CL. True ?

Messi is now known as the Argentinian Salah Now. ;)

When i said Salah was World class you were sarcastically saying he might win the Ballon dor.

Well it looks is if he is in the running for it after all, at the moment. :) :) :)

Stick to la liga and Messilona :)

I don’t know, but the EPL has the ‘Je ne sais quoi’ enjoyed by clubs like United in 70s/80s
    What je ne sais quoi did Utd enjoy in the 70s and 80s because je ne sais quoi que ils ont gagné? Is being relegated something to be enjoyed?
    You were laughing when i said Salah was World Class :)

Now his worth over $150 Million. :)
    Let's see how he does next season. Harry Kane has been scoring at this rate for 3 seasons and is only now being talked of as world class.

Ian Wright thinks Liverpool star Mohamed Salah could be courted by Real Madrid

"Losing Salah would be a much bigger loss than losing Coutinho."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11298439/ian-wright-thinks-liverpool-star-mohamed-salah-could-be-courted-by-real-madrid

How much are you going to win when Salah wins the Premier League Golden Boot ?
    Are you still going to give me half like you said ? :)

He's hot favorite to win the PFA Players' Player of the Year too......
    You should have had money on that as well..........

Mohamed Salah worth £150m if Liverpool decide to sell him, says Tony Cottee.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11296852/mohamed-salah-worth-150m-if-liverpool-decide-to-sell-him-says-tony-cottee

World class players cost £150m don't they ? :)
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

He probably gets bonuses for winning the European Golden Shoe or Ballon dor from his sponsers and maybe club as well.

When i said Salah was World class you were sarcastically saying he might win the Ballon dor.

Well it looks is if he is in the running for it after all, at the moment. :) :) :)

Jesus... Where to start...

The Golden Shoe is won on league goals only, not CL goals, hence my comment, "La Liga is more important". Some few Barcelona fans would probably even value La Liga higher than CL in general, but that is a subjective thing...

Barcelona are likely to lose if Messi doesn't play well, that is true. But it is more about the performance than the ammount of goals. Barcelona have won important games this season thanks to Messis goals, yes, but they have also won games thanks to his assists or overall performances. Goals win matches, but it doesn't really matter who puts them into the net.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that Messi has provided enough both in terms of goals and outstanding performances this season, so I am not really sure what your point is? There is, as usual, not much sense in your babling. By pointing out how vital Messi is to Barcelona's achievements, you are kind of destroying your own point that Salah is in the running for Balon d'Or, aren't you? For it is Barcelona, more or less completely thanks to Messi, who have the league title basically wrapped up, not Liverpool, and you will find very few people who don't consider Barcelona winning the CL trophy as more likely than Liverpool winning it. So based on player outlet, there shouldn't be much of a contest between the two, or what? You don't win the Balon d'Or based on performances against Watford... ;)

You don't make much sense, and I don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve... But by all means, keep me entertained! ;)
    This discussion!
    giphy.gif
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

The Golden Shoe is won on league goals only, not CL goals, hence my comment, "La Liga is more important". Some few Barcelona fans would probably even value La Liga higher than CL in general, but that is a subjective thing...

Barcelona are likely to lose if Messi doesn't play well, that is true. But it is more about the performance than the ammount of goals. Barcelona have won important games this season thanks to Messis goals, yes, but they have also won games thanks to his assists or overall performances. Goals win matches, but it doesn't really matter who puts them into the net.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that Messi has provided enough both in terms of goals and outstanding performances this season, so I am not really sure what your point is? There is, as usual, not much sense in your babling. By pointing out how vital Messi is to Barcelona's achievements, you are kind of destroying your own point that Salah is in the running for Balon d'Or, aren't you? For it is Barcelona, more or less completely thanks to Messi, who have the league title basically wrapped up, not Liverpool, and you will find very few people who don't consider Barcelona winning the CL trophy as more likely than Liverpool winning it. So based on player outlet, there shouldn't be much of a contest between the two, or what? You don't win the Balon d'Or based on performances against Watford... ;)

You don't make much sense, and I don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve... But by all means, keep me entertained! ;)

It's all good fun. :)
    But you don't answer my simple to understand questions.

When i said Salah was World class about 4 months ago you were sarcastically saying he might win the Ballon dor etc. You brought it up.

Is Salah a chance for the ballon dor ?

Would you rather win la liga or the CL ?

Do you hate English football,EPL ?

Do you rate English football ,EPL ?

Do you watch English football ,EPL ?

Do you think Barcelona FC get money from the government of Barcelona to combat Real madrid ?????

I would have loved it if Liverpool played barca in the next round of the CL. :)

Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

It's all good fun. :)
    But you don't answer my simple to understand questions.

When i said Salah was World class about 4 months ago you were sarcastically saying he might win the Ballon dor etc. You brought it up.

Is Salah a chance for the ballon dor ?

Would you rather win la liga or the CL ?

Do you hate English football,EPL ?

Do you rate English football ,EPL ?

Do you watch English football ,EPL ?

Do you think Barcelona FC get money from the government of Barcelona to combat Real madrid ?????

I would have loved it if Liverpool played barca in the next round of the CL. :)

Lets finish this quickly:

I think you must have mistaken me for someone else... I certainly didn't make that sarcastic comment...

I'll answer your questions, how silly or irrelevant they might be:

No, doubt it. He might be nominated, but he won't win unless Liverpool miraculously win the CL. Scoring 30 league goals in itself is not really unique in this Messi/Ronaldo era.

I'd take the CL. But why choose if you can have both? ;)

No. Absolutely not! I dislike some of its fans though...

I certainly rate the Premier League! I just think it is overrated and find it a bit sad when Anglofiles have to make false accusations or exaggerations about other leagues in order to feel better about their own and somehow pretend it is superior to other leagues...

I do yes. Not every week, but I make sure to be updated on the teams I feel are worth watching.

No?? Don't know where that came from...?

I would too! Would be the easiest semifinal we could possibly get! (Unless Sevilla somehow beat Bayern...) I strongly doubt it to happen though...

Save your popcorn for the weekend, @Torgeirtrap ;)

Actually think this discussion is more interesting than international break matches - but there's probably only so many times one can argue for who should be up for the Ballon d'Or or not. That being said, Michael Owen has won it, and players like Dennis Bergkamp hasn't, so one can argue the relevance of the award in a separate discussion…
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Not much to add here really apart from what the f**k is the golden shoe? It's always been golden boot in my lifetime.

@jobo we must give @001 some leeway as he's clearly basking in some kind of imagined victory that the object of his infatuation has carried on his good form from the start of the season.

Salah is smashing it (well against minnows - where were his world class, match winning attributes at Old Trafford when Ashley Young had the cigars out?) at the moment but even if he scored a hundred goals against Watford would it matter if Liverpool were still only just clinging onto the top 4 like they are currently?

I'm happy with what appears to be a great bit of business (about time we hit it lucky after decades of buying utter shite) in getting Salah and we certainly appear to be finally moving in the right direction under Klopp after the frustrating stumbles of the first 4 months of the season. I would expect us to be serious challengers for the title next season (although very unlikely that we will win it).

In a year from now if Salah is still scoring at the current rate then he will certainly be world class but Messi has been doing this for a decade not 8 months so any comparison is risible at the present time.

And the notion that you could be a contender for the balon d'or without actually winning anything is also rather laughable. If Mo improbably fires us to the CL then he'll have earned it but that's an extremely long shot.

But it seems like @001 is handing the balon d'or simply for scoring 4 goals against a turgid Watford team. Aguero scored 4 the other week against Leicester (a far better team than Watford) and he's going to win the title so I'm curious why @001 isn't clamouring so vociferously for him to be given the balon d'or?

I thought we'd done with all this to be fair but apparently not. The Energiser Bunny of hyperbolic Salah sycophancy is back with a vengeance.
    Isn't it Agüero who's never made the Team of the Year - despite all the fantastic seasons he's had in the PL?
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Not much to add here really apart from what the f**k is the golden shoe? It's always been golden boot in my lifetime.

@jobo we must give @001 some leeway as he's clearly basking in some kind of imagined victory that the object of his infatuation has carried on his good form from the start of the season.

Salah is smashing it (well against minnows - where were his world class, match winning attributes at Old Trafford when Ashley Young had the cigars out?) at the moment but even if he scored a hundred goals against Watford would it matter if Liverpool were still only just clinging onto the top 4 like they are currently?

I'm happy with what appears to be a great bit of business (about time we hit it lucky after decades of buying utter shite) in getting Salah and we certainly appear to be finally moving in the right direction under Klopp after the frustrating stumbles of the first 4 months of the season. I would expect us to be serious challengers for the title next season (although very unlikely that we will win it).

In a year from now if Salah is still scoring at the current rate then he will certainly be world class but Messi has been doing this for a decade not 8 months so any comparison is risible at the present time.

And the notion that you could be a contender for the balon d'or without actually winning anything is also rather laughable. If Mo improbably fires us to the CL then he'll have earned it but that's an extremely long shot.

But it seems like @001 is handing the balon d'or simply for scoring 4 goals against a turgid Watford team. Aguero scored 4 the other week against Leicester (a far better team than Watford) and he's going to win the title so I'm curious why @001 isn't clamouring so vociferously for him to be given the balon d'or?

I thought we'd done with all this to be fair but apparently not. The Energiser Bunny of hyperbolic Salah sycophancy is back with a vengeance.

Wiz, am i still getting half of the winnings from your bet on salah top scoring in the EPL like you said ?

I've always liked your word skills and you're posts are my favourites. ;)

Actually think this discussion is more interesting than international break matches - but there's probably only so many times one can argue for who should be up for the Ballon d'Or or not. That being said, Michael Owen has won it, and players like Dennis Bergkamp hasn't, so one can argue the relevance of the award in a separate discussion…

Michael Owen won it?? Which year was that?

There are many things you can enjoy with popcorn on the weekend you know ;) There are films, TV series, Gullrekka (on the subject of golden...)

The discussion in the Balon d'Or is a bit needless to be frank. There is no real discussion who the best player in the world is... However by the requirements of the prize he will most likely have to win the CL to get it, which will require that the rest of the team also delivers when they need to as well as some luck. Ronaldo have had some mediocre seasons in a row, but by scoring some sitters floating on an in form team, he still won the Balon d'Or back to back. That is where the focus is these days... Before they used to give the prize to players that created chances for their teams, now it is more strategic to hang about in the penalty box for 90 minutes.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Wiz, am i still getting half of the winnings from your bet on salah top scoring in the EPL like you said ?

You mean you didn't put a bet on yourself? Given your ceaseless eulogising of the bloke one might have thought you'd have lumped on everything you own.

Don't see why my shrewdness should be punished because you didn't have the bottle to put your money where you mouth is.

However I am happy to split the winnings with you. Just need you to send me an admin fee of £5k which will then be returned to you with your share of the money. If you could also send your credit card details, the 3 digits on the back and mother's maiden name that would be a help too.

I daresay your mind just blanked out the sheer horror of someone from La Liga not winning it.

There are many things you can enjoy with popcorn on the weekend you know ;) There are films, TV series, Gullrekka (on the subject of golden...)

The discussion in the Balon d'Or is a bit needless to be frank. There is no real discussion who the best player in the world is... However by the requirements of the prize he will most likely have to win the CL to get it, which will require that the rest of the team also delivers when they need to as well as some luck. Ronaldo have had some mediocre seasons in a row, but by scoring some sitters floating on an in form team, he still won the Balon d'Or back to back. That is where the focus is these days... Before they used to give the prize to players that created chances for their teams, now it is more strategic to hang about in the penalty box for 90 minutes.

2001, or around that time, wasn't it?

Tend to skip Gullrekka, but might catch some TV series! Might also catch the The Netherlands-England match tomorrow, only to see who plays in the England squad. Think I read somewhere that Pickford is the most likely goalkeeper? From what I've seen of the PL this season, it would be interesting to see Pope in goal.

Edit: Yep, Owen won it in 2001, with Raúl and Oliver Kahn behind him that year.
    Stanley Matthews won the first one.

6df98d41c1e2a0af7d1ec6af2fecb247.jpg
    The champs message to Liverpool fans who don't think Salah is a World Class player. :)
    tumblr_le3z01eAUi1qdodh0.gif
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

You mean you didn't put a bet on yourself? Given your ceaseless eulogising of the bloke one might have thought you'd have lumped on everything you own.

Don't see why my shrewdness should be punished because you didn't have the bottle to put your money where you mouth is.

However I am happy to split the winnings with you. Just need you to send me an admin fee of £5k which will then be returned to you with your share of the money. If you could also send your credit card details, the 3 digits on the back and mother's maiden name that would be a help too.

I daresay your mind just blanked out the sheer horror of someone from La Liga not winning it.

Nah. I just thought Owen was a strange choice. As far as I can remember the only major trophy he has win is La Liga with Real Madrid as a bench player in 2007 or 8 something. He certainly did not win anything important in 2001? Correct me if Im wrong?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Nah. I just thought Owen was a strange choice. As far as I can remember the only major trophy he has win is La Liga with Real Madrid as a bench player in 2007 or 8 something. He certainly did not win anything important in 2001? Correct me if Im wrong?

He scored both goals in a very very lucky 2-1 FA Cup final win over Arsenal in 2001,but I think that's it.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

He scored both goals in a very very lucky 2-1 FA Cup final win over Arsenal in 2001,but I think that's it.

And the league cup, and the UEFA cup.