"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Cracking game between Spain and Germany!
    And we have to have an international break for this?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,294
    jobo wrote: »
    Cracking game between Spain and Germany!

If I had the channel, I'd sure go for that game! England has just gone ahead with a goal by Lingard. Something happened in this match, finally.

_______
    Salah has just scored for Egypt against Portugal.

That was not a very good start for Koeman and the game was really poor.

While the Dutch are rightfully not a the tournament in Russia I am not so sure that England will do any good there either.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Decent win away by England against admittedly a Dutch side in transition
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 7,500
    At least Argentina convincingly beat Italy, even resting a slightly unfit Messi. Maybe that is a good sign... although this is a weak Italian team. They are basically in the same situation as Holland.
    jobo wrote: »
    At least Argentina convincingly beat Italy, even resting a slightly unfit Messi. Maybe that is a good sign... although this is a weak Italian team. They are basically in the same situation as Holland.

Who was the Italian goalkeeper tonight?

______
    Looks like Ronaldo scored twice in added time, making it 2-1 for Portugal over Egypt.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,378
    You can't count out Ronny he bounces back from any critism, he is having a great second half to the season
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Norway-Australia, 0-1 after 19 mins…
    Boring match so far. A bit back and forth, without many chances.
    _____
    That's better! Kamara makes it 1-1 after brilliant work from Elyounoussi leading up to the goal.
    _____
    Brilliant header from Reginiussen makes it 2-1!
    _____
    That's a good effort by Henriksen, putting Kamara through on goal, and it's 3-1. Nice!
    _____
    Kamara makes it 4-1 in added time! When was the last time Norway scored four goals in one game? Much needed result for Lagerbäck & Co, this.

Last time I think was against San Marino ;)

Still though, fine result for the vikings tonight.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Norway-Australia, 0-1 after 19 mins…
    Boring match so far. A bit back and forth, without many chances.
    _____
    That's better! Kamara makes it 1-1 after brilliant work from Elyounoussi leading up to the goal.
    _____
    Brilliant header from Reginiussen makes it 2-1!
    _____
    That's a good effort by Henriksen, putting Kamara through on goal, and it's 3-1. Nice!
    _____
    Kamara makes it 4-1 in added time! When was the last time Norway scored four goals in one game? Much needed result for Lagerbäck & Co, this.

Last time I think was against San Marino ;)

Still though, fine result for the vikings tonight.

You're right about that! Forgot about the two matches against San Marino. Wonder if good results in this international break can see Lagerbäck's men climb the FIFA rankings. Currently at 57th, behind Burkina Faso…
    Gareth Southgate condemns fan trouble as arrest total passes 100 following Netherlands friendly
    Gareth Southgate condemns pre-match trouble involving England supporters and describes booing of Dutch national anthem as "unacceptable"

Lucky it was just a friendly :)

England fans were seen pouring beer over boat passengers
    skysports-amsterdam-netherlands_4263121.jpg?20180323144825

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11301883/dutch-police-arrest-90-england-fans-ahead-of-netherlands-friendly
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    001 wrote: »
    Gareth Southgate condemns fan trouble as arrest total passes 100 following Netherlands friendly
    Gareth Southgate condemns pre-match trouble involving England supporters and describes booing of Dutch national anthem as "unacceptable"

Lucky it was just a friendly :)
    km. B
    England fans were seen pouring beer over boat passengers
    G skysports-amsterdam-netherlands_4263121.jpg?20180323144825

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11301883/dutch-police-arrest-90-england-fans-ahead-of-netherlands-friendly
    I'm toying with buying tickets for the first game against Tunisia but all these arseholes coupled with the Russian police no doubt being given instructions (like they need any encouragement anyway) to batter anyone English means the whole thing probably isn't worth the candle.

Went to the Euro 2016 England v Russia game in Marseille and that was fine as obviously I wasn't stupid enough to venture near the vieux port where all the cretins were bound to congregate. But this time I don't trust the Russian authorities, given the current climate, not to just bang anyone English up if there's trouble (which there will be) even if you are minding your own business away from the 10 German bombers singing rabble.
    Just watched the Liverpool legends vs Bayern Munich legends match on TV. Always fun to watch these kind of games. Former Rosenborg/Liverpool player Bjørn Tore Kvarme secured a draw for Liverpool with a brilliant late goal, making it 5-5.
    Just watched the Liverpool legends vs Bgayern Munich legends match on TV. Always fun to watch these kind of games. Former Rosenborg/Liverpool player Bjørn Tore Kvarme secured a draw for Liverpool with a brilliant late goal, making it 5-5.

Lol. That's probably his greatest moment in a Liverpool shirt.
    Just watched the Liverpool legends vs Bgayern Munich legends match on TV. Always fun to watch these kind of games. Former Rosenborg/Liverpool player Bjørn Tore Kvarme secured a draw for Liverpool with a brilliant late goal, making it 5-5.

Lol. That's probably his greatest moment in a Liverpool shirt.

Highlights here :) :

This sounds spurious on two counts:

1.Who of sane mind would choose Arsenal over Bayern?

2. The idea that the Arsenal board have finally grown a pair is very far fetched indeed.
    This sounds spurious on two counts:

1.Who of sane mind would choose Arsenal over Bayern?

2. The idea that the Arsenal board have finally grown a pair is very far fetched indeed.

Exactly. Bayern looks a tight ship, which Arsenal are the complete opposite of. Only reason for Tuchel to turn down Bayern must be that he doesn't want to manage a German club, or that he's taking over a different club - in Germany or another country. Chelsea or PSG, perhaps? It's also well-known that Tuchel and Sven Mislintat, now chief of recruitment at Arsenal, had a falling out at Dortmund.
    Courtois won’t be ready for the Belgian game, Mignolet will take his place.
    Thought all the LFC fans on here would want to know that ;)
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    edited March 2018 Posts: 194
    This has been a tough year in Premier League. I hate seeing my West Brom struggle as badly as they have this year. It is going to be very difficult to avoid relegation from here.

Is Courtois injured? If so, I hope he'll be ready for the clash with Sp*rs!
    This has been a tough year in Premier League. I hate seeing my West Brom struggle as badly as they have this year. It is going to be very difficult to avoid relegation from here.

I don't get why they fired Pulis so quickly. Still think he would have avoided West Brom from being relegated. Now he's at Middlesbrough, and might actually take them to the PL.
    I don't get why they fired Pulis so quickly. Still think he would have avoided West Brom from being relegated. Now he's at Middlesbrough, and might actually take them to the PL.

Exactly. Fans bleating that they were bored stuff watching Pulis keep West Brom up season after season are presumably being thrilled by the excitement being bottom of the table is bring?
    Wasn't it the team’s style of play that saw Puel fired from Southampton, too? It's very pleasing to see him do so well at Leicester after what happened at The Saints.
    Wasn't it the team’s style of play that saw Puel fired from Southampton, too? It's very pleasing to see him do so well at Leicester after what happened at The Saints.

Yep it was....be careful what you wish for.
    That West Ham v Southampton game is a massive one,coming up.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, but he has inherited a team that has a natural inclination to play attacking football.
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    @Torgeirtrap and @TheWizardOfIce,
    I was adamantly opposed to the decision when it was made in November and events have borne out since that it was not the right thing to do, unfortunately. West Brom were certainly not playing the way that they needed to play in order to be successful when Pulis was fired, but to fire a manager with such an exemplary track record in situations similar to the one in which West Brom was confronting and to do so in late November, was extremely aggressive and quite foolish.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,790

He won't be ready for the game against Saudi Arabia but I don't think it's anything serious.

IIRC Chelsea's match against the Scum in on Sunday.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yep it was....be careful what you wish for.
    That West Ham v Southampton game is a massive one,coming up.

Key match for both teams, this. A must watch, if you ask me!
    NicNac wrote: »
    Yes, but he has inherited a team that has a natural inclination to play attacking football.

Still has to be a good manager to keep them going in the right direction, though. Younger players like Demarai Gray has also benefited from having Puel in charge.

He won't be ready for the game against Saudi Arabia but I don't think it's anything serious.

Let's hope that. A Chelsea win against Sp*rs would be fantastic. That being said, Caballero have been really good when he's played.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    IIRC Chelsea's match against the Scum in on Sunday.

Looks like it's the 3 pm kick-off.
    @Torgeirtrap and @TheWizardOfIce,
    I was adamantly opposed to the decision when it was made in November and events have borne out since that it was not the right thing to do, unfortunately. West Brom were certainly not playing the way that they needed to play in order to be successful when Pulis was fired, but to fire a manager with such an exemplary track record in situations similar to the one in which West Brom was confronting and to do so in late November, was extremely aggressive and quite foolish.

Foolish indeed. Think Alan Pardew and West Brom were a bad match to begin with, and a bit strange appointment from the club. In comparison, Palace and Pardew were a better match.