jobo wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    Hm
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Thank goodness for a win at last at Carrow Road on Saturday!!!! Much needed win and three points for sure going into another pointless international break!

Hate international breaks. Might try and catch a few games, but it's not the same as league matches.

Any news about the Tettey injury? Must be good to get a win without "the Tettey effect" to rely on!

I hate international breaks too. :( So boring zzzzzzz :)

Finally we agree on something! ;)

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Mohamed Salah leads Lionel Messi in European Golden Shoe race.

Mohamed Salah's four-goal haul for Liverpool on Saturday saw him take the lead in the race for the European Golden Shoe.

Salah helped Jurgen Klopp's side thrash Watford 5-0 at Anfield on Saturday and took his goal tally for the season to an incredible 28 in just 30 matches.

That puts the Egyptian on 56 points, six clear of second-placed Lionel Messi, who grabbed Barcelona's second in their 2-0 win at home to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

He might. And he might not. But who the fuck cares about the Golden Shoe? I am much more interested in who wins La Liga...

Messi has won three Golden Shoes in his career. In the 11/12 be finished with 50 (!!) League goals! Yes, League goals, not total. But this latest interview revealed how much he really values goals after all:

- "Whether I play well or not isn't even about the goals. it's about being participative on the pitch, getting the ball frequently, make good decisions, not lose balls, it's never about making goals. Scoring goals doesn't mean I played well."

- "There have been times I've scored goals and played poorly. But goals cover everything up. Playing well is not about scoring goals. "

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/975540712161849346

Bullshit. If messi doesn't score goals barca are more likely to lose.
    He gets bonuses for scoring goals too $$$$$$

He probably gets bonuses for winning the European Golden Shoe or Ballon dor from his sponsers and maybe club as well.

Barca don't care as much about la liga as they do about winning the CL. True ?

Messi is now known as the Argentinian Salah Now. ;)

When i said Salah was World class you were sarcastically saying he might win the Ballon dor.

Well it looks is if he is in the running for it after all, at the moment. :) :) :)

Stick to la liga and Messilona :)

Jesus... Where to start...

The Golden Shoe is won on league goals only, not CL goals, hence my comment, "La Liga is more important". Some few Barcelona fans would probably even value La Liga higher than CL in general, but that is a subjective thing...

Barcelona are likely to lose if Messi doesn't play well, that is true. But it is more about the performance than the ammount of goals. Barcelona have won important games this season thanks to Messis goals, yes, but they have also won games thanks to his assists or overall performances. Goals win matches, but it doesn't really matter who puts them into the net.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that Messi has provided enough both in terms of goals and outstanding performances this season, so I am not really sure what your point is? There is, as usual, not much sense in your babling. By pointing out how vital Messi is to Barcelona's achievements, you are kind of destroying your own point that Salah is in the running for Balon d'Or, aren't you? For it is Barcelona, more or less completely thanks to Messi, who have the league title basically wrapped up, not Liverpool, and you will find very few people who don't consider Barcelona winning the CL trophy as more likely than Liverpool winning it. So based on player outlet, there shouldn't be much of a contest between the two, or what? You don't win the Balon d'Or based on performances against Watford... ;)

You don't make much sense, and I don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve... But by all means, keep me entertained! ;)
    Not much to add here really apart from what the f**k is the golden shoe? It's always been golden boot in my lifetime.

@jobo we must give @001 some leeway as he's clearly basking in some kind of imagined victory that the object of his infatuation has carried on his good form from the start of the season.

Salah is smashing it (well against minnows - where were his world class, match winning attributes at Old Trafford when Ashley Young had the cigars out?) at the moment but even if he scored a hundred goals against Watford would it matter if Liverpool were still only just clinging onto the top 4 like they are currently?

I'm happy with what appears to be a great bit of business (about time we hit it lucky after decades of buying utter shite) in getting Salah and we certainly appear to be finally moving in the right direction under Klopp after the frustrating stumbles of the first 4 months of the season. I would expect us to be serious challengers for the title next season (although very unlikely that we will win it).

In a year from now if Salah is still scoring at the current rate then he will certainly be world class but Messi has been doing this for a decade not 8 months so any comparison is risible at the present time.

And the notion that you could be a contender for the balon d'or without actually winning anything is also rather laughable. If Mo improbably fires us to the CL then he'll have earned it but that's an extremely long shot.

But it seems like @001 is handing the balon d'or simply for scoring 4 goals against a turgid Watford team. Aguero scored 4 the other week against Leicester (a far better team than Watford) and he's going to win the title so I'm curious why @001 isn't clamouring so vociferously for him to be given the balon d'or?

I thought we'd done with all this to be fair but apparently not. The Energiser Bunny of hyperbolic Salah sycophancy is back with a vengeance.

Wiz, am i still getting half of the winnings from your bet on salah top scoring in the EPL like you said ?

I've always liked your word skills and you're posts are my favourites. ;)
    You mean you didn't put a bet on yourself? Given your ceaseless eulogising of the bloke one might have thought you'd have lumped on everything you own.

Don't see why my shrewdness should be punished because you didn't have the bottle to put your money where you mouth is.

However I am happy to split the winnings with you. Just need you to send me an admin fee of £5k which will then be returned to you with your share of the money. If you could also send your credit card details, the 3 digits on the back and mother's maiden name that would be a help too.
    Save your popcorn for the weekend, @Torgeirtrap ;)

Actually think this discussion is more interesting than international break matches - but there's probably only so many times one can argue for who should be up for the Ballon d'Or or not. That being said, Michael Owen has won it, and players like Dennis Bergkamp hasn't, so one can argue the relevance of the award in a separate discussion…

Michael Owen won it?? Which year was that?
    I daresay your mind just blanked out the sheer horror of someone from La Liga not winning it.

Nah. I just thought Owen was a strange choice. As far as I can remember the only major trophy he has win is La Liga with Real Madrid as a bench player in 2007 or 8 something. He certainly did not win anything important in 2001? Correct me if Im wrong?

He scored both goals in a very very lucky 2-1 FA Cup final win over Arsenal in 2001,but I think that's it.

And the league cup, and the UEFA cup.

True.

I think I had my angry Arsenal head on earlier ;)

Come on! Those are not major trophies!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

When you beat the *mighty* Birmingham city and Alavés in the finals I can assure you they are my friend.

They are when Mourinho wins them!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

Haha

That is true ;) He sure has some 'eritage'
  • RC7RC7

I’m fully aware of what a dickhead Mourinho can be, but let’s not forget he simply commented that United had won “three trophies”. By comparison, Liverpool had an open top bus tour with a ‘Treble Winners’ banner. I still cringe now. Embarrassing.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,302

Mourinho should do as other footballers, and launch a line fragrances: «Is 'eritage - by José Mourinho!»

Mourinho should do as other footballers, and launch a line fragrances: «Is 'eritage - by José Mourinho!»

:))
    Maradona didn't even finish in the first 3 in the Ballon dor in 1986 after dominating the WC.
    Maybe the voters punished him for the Hand of god goal ?

1st Soviet Union Igor Belanov Soviet Union Dynamo Kyiv 84
    2nd England Gary Lineker Spain Barcelona 62
    3rd Spain Emilio Butragueño Spain Real Madrid 59
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Hm
    Thank goodness for a win at last at Carrow Road on Saturday!!!! Much needed win and three points for sure going into another pointless international break!

Hate international breaks. Might try and catch a few games, but it's not the same as league matches.

Any news about the Tettey injury? Must be good to get a win without "the Tettey effect" to rely on!

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Mohamed Salah's four-goal haul for Liverpool on Saturday saw him take the lead in the race for the European Golden Shoe.

Salah helped Jurgen Klopp's side thrash Watford 5-0 at Anfield on Saturday and took his goal tally for the season to an incredible 28 in just 30 matches.

That puts the Egyptian on 56 points, six clear of second-placed Lionel Messi, who grabbed Barcelona's second in their 2-0 win at home to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

He might. And he might not. But who the fuck cares about the Golden Shoe? I am much more interested in who wins La Liga...

Messi has won three Golden Shoes in his career. In the 11/12 be finished with 50 (!!) League goals! Yes, League goals, not total. But this latest interview revealed how much he really values goals after all:

- "Whether I play well or not isn't even about the goals. it's about being participative on the pitch, getting the ball frequently, make good decisions, not lose balls, it's never about making goals. Scoring goals doesn't mean I played well."

- "There have been times I've scored goals and played poorly. But goals cover everything up. Playing well is not about scoring goals. "

He probably gets bonuses for winning the European Golden Shoe or Ballon dor from his sponsers and maybe club as well.

When i said Salah was World class you were sarcastically saying he might win the Ballon dor.

Well it looks is if he is in the running for it after all, at the moment. :) :) :)

The Golden Shoe is won on league goals only, not CL goals, hence my comment, "La Liga is more important". Some few Barcelona fans would probably even value La Liga higher than CL in general, but that is a subjective thing...

Barcelona are likely to lose if Messi doesn't play well, that is true. But it is more about the performance than the ammount of goals. Barcelona have won important games this season thanks to Messis goals, yes, but they have also won games thanks to his assists or overall performances. Goals win matches, but it doesn't really matter who puts them into the net.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that Messi has provided enough both in terms of goals and outstanding performances this season, so I am not really sure what your point is? There is, as usual, not much sense in your babling. By pointing out how vital Messi is to Barcelona's achievements, you are kind of destroying your own point that Salah is in the running for Balon d'Or, aren't you? For it is Barcelona, more or less completely thanks to Messi, who have the league title basically wrapped up, not Liverpool, and you will find very few people who don't consider Barcelona winning the CL trophy as more likely than Liverpool winning it. So based on player outlet, there shouldn't be much of a contest between the two, or what? You don't win the Balon d'Or based on performances against Watford... ;)

You don't make much sense, and I don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve... But by all means, keep me entertained! ;)
    Not much to add here really apart from what the f**k is the golden shoe? It's always been golden boot in my lifetime.

@jobo we must give @001 some leeway as he's clearly basking in some kind of imagined victory that the object of his infatuation has carried on his good form from the start of the season.

Salah is smashing it (well against minnows - where were his world class, match winning attributes at Old Trafford when Ashley Young had the cigars out?) at the moment but even if he scored a hundred goals against Watford would it matter if Liverpool were still only just clinging onto the top 4 like they are currently?

I'm happy with what appears to be a great bit of business (about time we hit it lucky after decades of buying utter shite) in getting Salah and we certainly appear to be finally moving in the right direction under Klopp after the frustrating stumbles of the first 4 months of the season. I would expect us to be serious challengers for the title next season (although very unlikely that we will win it).

In a year from now if Salah is still scoring at the current rate then he will certainly be world class but Messi has been doing this for a decade not 8 months so any comparison is risible at the present time.

And the notion that you could be a contender for the balon d'or without actually winning anything is also rather laughable. If Mo improbably fires us to the CL then he'll have earned it but that's an extremely long shot.

But it seems like @001 is handing the balon d'or simply for scoring 4 goals against a turgid Watford team. Aguero scored 4 the other week against Leicester (a far better team than Watford) and he's going to win the title so I'm curious why @001 isn't clamouring so vociferously for him to be given the balon d'or?

I thought we'd done with all this to be fair but apparently not. The Energiser Bunny of hyperbolic Salah sycophancy is back with a vengeance.

Wiz, am i still getting half of the winnings from your bet on salah top scoring in the EPL like you said ?

You mean you didn't put a bet on yourself? Given your ceaseless eulogising of the bloke one might have thought you'd have lumped on everything you own.

Don't see why my shrewdness should be punished because you didn't have the bottle to put your money where you mouth is.

However I am happy to split the winnings with you. Just need you to send me an admin fee of £5k which will then be returned to you with your share of the money. If you could also send your credit card details, the 3 digits on the back and mother's maiden name that would be a help too.

Actually think this discussion is more interesting than international break matches - but there's probably only so many times one can argue for who should be up for the Ballon d'Or or not. That being said, Michael Owen has won it, and players like Dennis Bergkamp hasn't, so one can argue the relevance of the award in a separate discussion…

I daresay your mind just blanked out the sheer horror of someone from La Liga not winning it.

Nah. I just thought Owen was a strange choice. As far as I can remember the only major trophy he has win is La Liga with Real Madrid as a bench player in 2007 or 8 something. He certainly did not win anything important in 2001? Correct me if Im wrong?

He scored both goals in a very very lucky 2-1 FA Cup final win over Arsenal in 2001,but I think that's it.
    Unlike the winners in 2005 of course who won due to sheer skill and not the slightest amount of luck despite being played off the park for 120mins.
    You would have been ecstatic to win a UEFA back in those pre 1992 days when Barca were nonentities in Europe.

Lest we forget you are very much arrivistes at the European top table when compared with the of likes Real, Bayern and Milan. It was only in 2009 you managed to overtake Forest FFS!

Pretty much all of Barca's European royalty status has been built on Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et al. If Chelsea had had a better crop of youth talent then they could have easily been in your place.
    Maradona didn't even finish in the first 3 in the Ballon dor in 1986 after dominating the WC.

That's ridiculous. In 86 there was one player who was head and shoulders the best on the planet.

I doubt anyone gave the slightest toss about the Hand of God as a) to you're average greasy foreigner that was just 'clever play' and b) everyone despises England anyway.

Hope for Salah this season though as you clearly don't actually need to be the best player in the world to win the balon d'or.

@TheWizardOfIce

And that is relevant to the discussion because of... what exactly? Based on past comments I think you are the first to admit the Balon d'Or should not be given based on performances in the FA Cup or the UEFA Cup? That is what's being discussed here.

No wonder why you are so obsessed with the phenomenon 'European Royalty' (a term I have never heard been mentioned before in association with football) when past history (and Mo Salah...) is the only thing a Liverpool fan can be proud of these days. Liverpool's European trophy cabinet is basically built on one era of dominance. This is also mainly The case with Milan and even Bayern, although their succeses have been more consistent. The fact that such an era happened to occur more recently with Barcelona, doesn't really make a huge difference, does it? Even in terms of Real Madrid, half of their European record stem from a spekk in the 50s/60s when the competition was contested by roughly 8 teams or something?

A perhaps better way of looking at a teams consistent achievements is looking at domestic league titles (which are rated far higher than domestic cups). Here Barcelona has consistently won leagues all through the 20th century. In fact far more in total than Liverpool and even Milan.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,791
    @TheWizardOfIce

a. I wasn’t around in 86 (pity since it was Belgium’s best WC), but I think unsportsmanlike conduct, which an allowed handball goal definitely is, is scandalous no matter how fabulous the player otherwise is. Nevertheless, Maradona would have deserved the Ballon that year. Taking nothing away from Belanov of course, Dynamo Kiev was one of Europe strongest sides in those days and together with Blokhin he was an integraal part of that. The USSR squad was more a Ukrainian than a Russia side in those days.

b. I symphatize easily with any country from the Old Continent, including England. But not against Belgium, of course.
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Unlike the winners in 2005 of course who won due to sheer skill and not the slightest amount of luck despite being played off the park for 120mins.
    You would have been ecstatic to win a UEFA back in those pre 1992 days when Barca were nonentities in Europe.

Lest we forget you are very much arrivistes at the European top table when compared with the of likes Real, Bayern and Milan. It was only in 2009 you managed to overtake Forest FFS!

Pretty much all of Barca's European royalty status has been built on Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et al. If Chelsea had had a better crop of youth talent then they could have easily been in your place.

That's ridiculous. In 86 there was one player who was head and shoulders the best on the planet.

I doubt anyone gave the slightest toss about the Hand of God as a) to you're average greasy foreigner that was just 'clever play' and b) everyone despises England anyway.

Hope for Salah this season though as you clearly don't actually need to be the best player in the world to win the balon d'or.

Rubbish...that was skill,straight out of the Jose Mourinho school of defending and bus parking,so how dare you !!
  • RC7RC7
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

Rubbish...that was skill,straight out of the Jose Mourinho school of defending and bus parking,so how dare you !!

I’m not sure I remember a Utd game quite like it. It was almost comical by the second half of extra time. We battered you more consistently than we did when we put 8 past you.
    Zlatan looks to be ready for LA Galaxy:
    680.jpg
    Here we go again,
    Jack Wilshere ruled out of tonights friendly against the Dutch,due to a knee injury in training.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    @TheWizardOfIce

And that is relevant to the discussion because of... what exactly? Based on past comments I think you are the first to admit the Balon d'Or should not be given based on performances in the FA Cup or the UEFA Cup? That is what's being discussed here.
    I just found your dismissal of the UEFA cup as sounding rather entitled. You may be living through a golden age now but as you say these things go in phases and one day you might be very glad to win what is still a big trophy.
    Even in terms of Real Madrid, half of their European record stem from a spekk in the 50s/60s when the competition was contested by roughly 8 teams or something?
    Are you @001 in disguise? To dismiss the team of Di Stefano and Puskas so lightly is frankly embarrassing. We know you have a chronic Barca bias but Jesus a bit of respect please.
    A perhaps better way of looking at a teams consistent achievements is looking at domestic league titles (which are rated far higher than domestic cups). Here Barcelona has consistently won leagues all through the 20th century. In fact far more in total than Liverpool and even Milan.
    Except if you go down that route you end up with Celtic and Olympiakos as European royalty.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce

a. I wasn’t around in 86 (pity since it was Belgium’s best WC), but I think unsportsmanlike conduct, which an allowed handball goal definitely is, is scandalous no matter how fabulous the player otherwise is. Nevertheless, Maradona would have deserved the Ballon that year. Taking nothing away from Belanov of course, Dynamo Kiev was one of Europe strongest sides in those days and together with Blokhin he was an integraal part of that. The USSR squad was more a Ukrainian than a Russia side in those days.

b. I symphatize easily with any country from the Old Continent, including England. But not against Belgium, of course.

True that Dynamo Kiev side was a class act but to deny Maradona that year of all years seems, even for an Englishman, to be a travesty. To have Lineker ahead of him, much as I love Gary (when he's not spouting his lefty views on Twitter), is pretty laughable.

RC7 wrote: »
    Hm

Will Salah win this ? ;)

I’m not sure I remember a Utd game quite like it. It was almost comical by the second half of extra time. We battered you more consistently than we did when we put 8 past you.
    Much as I found it hilarious to see Utd denied (and by the most flagrant example of parking the bus ever - even Greece had the ambition to nick a goal from a corner) you have to say that result was scandalous. Even Elizabeth Fritzl working as a pundit for ORF1 stated 'Arsenal were raped off the park'.
    Norway-Australia, 0-1 after 19 mins…
    Boring match so far. A bit back and forth, without many chances.
    _____
    That's better! Kamara makes it 1-1 after brilliant work from Elyounoussi leading up to the goal.
    _____
    Brilliant header from Reginiussen makes it 2-1!
    _____
    That's a good effort by Henriksen, putting Kamara through on goal, and it's 3-1. Nice!
    _____
    Kamara makes it 4-1 in added time! When was the last time Norway scored four goals in one game? Much needed result for Lagerbäck & Co, this.
    Some hardcore techno as the Dutch and the English enter the pitch!
    The first match with a new coach Koeman. And no really big names at this time in Oranje.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The first match with a new coach Koeman. And no really big names at this time in Oranje.

Familiar names for those who follows the PL, at least - both on the pitch and on the bench. Will be interesting to see what Koeman can do for the Netherlands national team.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Snooze fest so far, generally speaking England's midfield worries me going into the world cup
    Snooze fest so far, generally speaking England's midfield worries me going into the world cup

What are the options in midfield for England, you think? Other than the players in this squad, that is.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Better by England though Sterling still frustrates, his use of the ball in the final third is still poor
    Commentator calling this a «Sh*t first half». Think I agree.

What are the options in midfield for England, you think? Other than the players in this squad, that is.

Limited we really don't have any great centre midfield players currently

I am glad I am reading a good book and did order the Hardcover Colonel Sun.

Limited we really don't have any great centre midfield players currently

That's true, I guess. Tried to think of some English CM players not in this squad, but could only name foreign players…
    SaintMark wrote: »

I am glad I am reading a good book and did order the Hardcover Colonel Sun.

Should have read a book instead, too. Oh well, 45 mins to go. Hope the second half will be more interesting.
    Penalty ref needs to watch the game