"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Classic UEFA stitch up to get rid of the English teams as quick as possible.

The English teams should be happy they face each other! Otherwise no English teams in the semies would be likely! ;)

I reckon City would have Barca. On their day, Liverpool could too.

The English have always been great at making predictions... Just like when you were all banking on at least four and possibly five teams in the quarter finals...

I heard no one complain when Liverpool, City and United were handed walkover draws in the last 16s. Yet now, there is suddenly a conspiracy against Brittish teams, despite the fact that Atlético and Real Madrid have met twice in the knockout stages (excluding both finals) during the last four seasons and Barca - Atlético have featured in two quarter finals since 2014.

But of course, don't let facts or history get in the way of the agenda! Just like with the claim that the PL is the best league...

Where did I mention a conspiracy, darling?
    A conspiracy was mentioned in the previous comment by our beloved, (not so ice cold) hot tempered magician. Rather than writing two seperate posts I allowed myself the luxury of adressing both issues in one, especially since they are related...
    Classic UEFA stitch up to get rid of the English teams as quick as possible.

The English teams should be happy they face each other! Otherwise no English teams in the semies would be likely! ;)

I reckon City would have Barca. On their day, Liverpool could too.

The English have always been great at making predictions... Just like when you were all banking on at least four and possibly five teams in the quarter finals...

I heard no one complain when Liverpool, City and United were handed walkover draws in the last 16s. Yet now, there is suddenly a conspiracy against Brittish teams, despite the fact that Atlético and Real Madrid have met twice in the knockout stages (excluding both finals) during the last four seasons and Barca - Atlético have featured in two quarter finals since 2014.

But of course, don't let facts or history get in the way of the agenda! Just like with the claim that the PL is the best league...

Well,it is.

barryt007 wrote: »
    Ooooh CSKA ? great draw !!

Is it, though? Haven't seen CSKA play in the EL so far, so I have no idea what Arsenal should expect. They are currently second in the Russian league, behind Lokomotiv Moscow.

Ahmed Musa is on loan there, from Leicester, and Pontus Wernbloom plays there, as well.

Compared to the other teams yes.
    @barryt007

Basically all results and statistics during the last 5-10 years suggest it is not... It is about time you go from simply making passionate claims to actually provide some results on the pitch...
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    @barryt007

Basically all results and statistics during the last 5-10 years suggest it is not... It is about time you go from simply making passionate claims to actually provide some results on the pitch...

Who ? me ? Arsenal ? or the EPL ?

15d02a1f-8705-4731-a189-86322a129390.png

I just realised Monreal played...that's good news !
    @barryt007

Who ? me ? Arsenal ? or the EPL ?

15d02a1f-8705-4731-a189-86322a129390.png

The EPL obviously. Arsenal included.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,791
    Lazio v Salzburg. Not a bad draw.

Juve v Real, classic duel, definitely the most interesting CL QF.

Is it, though? Haven't seen CSKA play in the EL so far, so I have no idea what Arsenal should expect. They are currently second in the Russian league, behind Lokomotiv Moscow.

Ahmed Musa is on loan there, from Leicester, and Pontus Wernbloom plays there, as well.

I'll take your word for it, then! Would have thought Red Bull Salzburg to be the best pick, but I don't know how they compare to the Russian side.

I'll take your word for it, then! Would have thought Red Bull Salzburg to be the best pick, but I don't know how they compare to the Russian side.

Salzburg are top of the Austrian league so they have an unpredictable spring in their step at the moment.

• RC7RC7
    The English PL is the most valued league by fans worldwide. Whether the ‘best’ football is on display is a moot point. It’s the most popular. That’s just fact.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,302

Salzburg are top of the Austrian league so they have an unpredictable spring in their step at the moment.

True, but I also watched the two fixtures against Borussia Dortmund, and Salzburg were just a bit better. Salzburg deservedly went on to the next round, but nothing in their performance suggested that Arsenal should not be able to beat them. But, we know the Arsenal defense way to well. The Russians may surprise, too.

True, but I also watched the two fixtures against Borussia Dortmund, and Salzburg were just a bit better. Salzburg deservedly went on to the next round, but nothing in their performance suggested that Arsenal should not be able to beat them. But, we know the Arsenal defense way to well. The Russians may surprise, too.

We will soon find out !

We will soon find out !

I'm getting nervous already. They lost at home against Östersunds FK less than a month ago…
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    A conspiracy was mentioned in the previous comment by our beloved, (not so ice cold) hot tempered magician. Rather than writing two seperate posts I allowed myself the luxury of adressing both issues in one, especially since they are related...

Well if I can go full on Rafa mode for a minute:

1. An English or Italian team had a 1 in 7 chance of pulling an English/Italian team out of the hat. A Spanish team had a 1 in 3.5 chance. But it's the 1 in 7 odds that came in and the English ones at that not the Italian. FACT

2. In the last 20 years when Barca and Real have been the dominant sides they've only drawn each other twice, and both times in the semis when the odds are down to 1 in 3 of pulling each other out of the hat. You might think random chance would see them having played in perhaps one QF? FACT

3. FIFA and UEFA despise us FACT. Mostly due to journalists like Andrew Jennings constantly chipping away at their corruption. The fact that the World Cup is being held in places like Russia and Qatar when we've had 2 tournaments everand have the best football stadium infrastructure in the world (only Germany can even claim to come close) is a piss take frankly. France with 5 tournaments an utter disgrace in a country where they don't give a shit about football.

Now those are just some random facts. I'm not saying there was a conspiracy to pair the two English clubs together as it could well be a statistical blip and the sample sizes are too small. My mind is open. But given the off the scale corruption levels within pretty much all football governing bodiess it's quite conceivable.

As for the Premier League being the 'best in world' I don't think anyone ever said it was except Sky when they are trying to sell Burnley v West Brom on a not so super Sunday.

However it is the most exciting, closely followed by the Championship. What @jobo seems to be confusing is best League in the world with best teams. Barca and Real are probably better than anyone in our league (although if City get through they will put either of them to the sword) but that doesn't mean the Spanish league is better. What if Celtic were as good as Brazil 1970 and romped the CL every year? That would mean Celtic are a very good team but it wouldn't make the Scottish league any better when they are romping it 6-0 every week and have it won by Christmas.

I guess it's hard for jobo to hear any dissenting voices that Barca thrashing the likes of Getafe week in week out is anything but enthralling.
  • RC7RC7

1. An English or Italian team had a 1 in 7 chance of pulling an English/Italian team out of the hat. A Spanish team had a 1 in 3.5 chance. But it's the 1 in 7 odds that came in and the English ones at that not the Italian. FACT

2. In the last 20 years when Barca and Real have been the dominant sides they've only drawn each other twice, and both times in the semis when the odds are down to 1 in 3 of pulling each other out of the hat. You might think random chance would see them having played in perhaps one QF? FACT

3. FIFA and UEFA despise us FACT. Mostly due to journalists like Andrew Jennings constantly chipping away at their corruption. The fact that the World Cup is being held in places like Russia and Qatar when we've had 2 tournaments everand have the best football stadium infrastructure in the world (only Germany can even claim to come close) is a piss take frankly. France with 5 tournaments an utter disgrace in a country where they don't give a shit about football.

Now those are just some random facts. I'm not saying there was a conspiracy to pair the two English clubs together as it could well be a statistical blip and the sample sizes are too small. My mind is open. But given the off the scale corruption levels within pretty much all football governing bodiess it's quite conceivable.

As for the Premier League being the 'best in world' I don't think anyone ever said it was except Sky when they are trying to sell Burnley v West Brom on a not so super Sunday.

However it is the most exciting, closely followed by the Championship. What @jobo seems to be confusing is best League in the world with best teams. Barca and Real are probably better than anyone in our league (although if City get through they will put either of them to the sword) but that doesn't mean the Spanish league is better. What if Celtic were as good as Brazil 1970 and romped the CL every year? That would mean Celtic are a very good team but it wouldn't make the Scottish league any better when they are romping it 6-0 every week and have it won by Christmas.

I guess it's hard for jobo to hear any dissenting voices that Barca thrashing the likes of Getafe week in week out is anything but enthralling.

Bang on.

I know,and it was all about himself and his record again...yawn.

He's gone completely mental!!

I want 'That's 'eritage' to become a sitcom one day.

Will be gone in the summer.
  • RC7RC7

Yeah, I reckon he’s on the way to PSG.
    As long as it's not Arsenal !!

Getting constantly mugged off just because Pep is pissing it while Pocc and Jurgen keep getting their arses licked by the media for being below him in the league and with a sum total of zero trophies between them.

Why would he bother staying?

He'll improve our defense, though. That's something!

I think a Sunday League pub team manager could improve our defence,Torg !

• edited March 2018 Posts: 17,302

Getting constantly mugged off just because Pep is pissing it while Pocc and Jurgen keep getting their arses licked by the media for being below him in the league and with a sum total of zero trophies between them.

Why would he bother staying?

It's really quite shocking how Poch and Jürgen can get away when not doing well. A podcast I listen to noted in an episode that Klopp is a master in avoiding the difficult questions, because his personality (and laughs) allows him to get away with it. In contrast, Mourinho will always get these questions because of his controversial personality. I don't mean that they should take it easy on Mourinho or anything, but it's clear that the media won't be as critical towards certain managers. With Poch, he is always celebrated in the media, isn't he. The media even condone Sp*rs players for diving (on a regular basis), while the headlines today focuses on calling Danny Welbeck shameful for diving, embarrassing English football.

Someone compared Mirrors headline about Arsenal to the one from the Sp*rs-Rotchdale match:

DYatJgaWsAA4x0U.jpg
    DYatJgZXcAEfmdr.jpg

I think a Sunday League pub team manager could improve our defence,Torg !

Surely, but a manager with international trophies (as he himself is always happy to point out) would look better, wouldn't it? :D
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 7,500

So you and @RC7 are altering the parameter now? It's no longer about which league has the best quality, it's about which league is most popular "exciting" (one team running away with the league before desember sure is nail biting btw... In Spain there is at least still a theoretical chance that Atlético might catch Barca). ;) If you are willing to stick to the actual topic, I can explain why the points you are making don't hold up:

It is just not true as you claim that it is only Real Madrid and Barca that are producing results for Spain in Europe. Such a statement either shows total ignorance or a willingness to alter facts. Of course it fits the English agenda to paint it as if the level behind RM and Barca is mediocre, however results in European competitions suggests something completely different. To start with, the third best team in Spain have achieved far more in Europe the last five years than any English team. Except for this year, Real Madrid is the only team that has been able to eliminate Atlético in Europe since 2014.

But it is not only the Champions League that has been dominated completely by Spanish teams. The competition for the second best teams, the Europa League has also had a Spanish monopoly for several years! The fact of the matter is that La Liga has completely dominated in both European competitions for almost a decade now. Those are the FACTS.

Besides, I suggest you start digging up statistics about the results whenever Spanish and English teams face each other in Europe. The stats are extremely embarrassing for the EPL. And no, I am not only talking about Barca and Real Madrid thrashing City, United and the likes. The hegemony is constant through out all levels, with Sevilla, Villareal, Valencia and even little Athletic Bilbao emerging supreme. There were warning signs that the trend might have shifted this season, with Tottenham and Chelsea beating the off form versions of Real Madrid and Atlético respectively. But now, with the deciding matches coming up, we are back to the same story, with English teams being repeatedly eliminated by Spanish sides.

If you actually watched La Liga regularly, you would know that the Spanish top teams are far from winning games on walkover every week. RM, Barca and Atlético are regularly tested in the league, often more so I might add than when they are facing the so called "cream of England". That RM and Barca are mostly winning the trophy is not really condenscending on behalf of domestic competition, since they also completely dominate in Europe! The only teams capable of eliminating either of them in Europe since 2013 is Atlético and Juventus...

Spain is dominating everywhere, both the best teams and second best teams. The EPL fanatics have nothing left in their favor than subjective and emotional theories which have no basis or justification in actual results.
  • RC7RC7

So you and @RC7 are altering the parameter now? It's no longer about which league has the best quality, it's about which league is most popular "exciting" (one team running away with the league before desember sure is nail biting btw... In Spain there is at least still a theoretical chance that Atlético might watch Barca). ;) If you are willing to stick to the actual topic, I can explain why the points you are making don't hold up:

It is just not true as you claim that it is only Real Madrid and Barca that are producing results for Spain in Europe. Such a statement either shows total ignorance or a willingness to alter facts. Of course it fits the English agenda to paint it as if the level behind RM and Barca is mediocre, however results in European competitions suggests something completely different. To start with, the third best team in Spain have achieved far more in Europe the last five years than any English team. Except for this year, Real Madrid is the only team that has been able to eliminate Atlético in Europe since 2014.

But it is not only the Champions League that has been dominated completely by Spanish teams. The competition for the second best teams, the Europa League has also had a Spanish monopoly for several years! The fact of the matter is that La Liga has completely dominated in both European competitions for almost a decade now. Those are the FACTS.

Besides, I suggest you start digging up statistics about the results whenever Spanish and English teams face each other in Europe. The stats are extremely embarrassing for the EPL. And no, I am not only talking about Barca and Real Madrid thrashing City, United and the likes. The hegemony is constant through out all levels, with Sevilla, Villareal, Valencia and even little Athletic Bilbao emerging supreme. There were warning signs that the trend might have shifted this season, with Tottenham and Chelsea beating the off form versions of Real Madrid and Atlético respectively. But now, with the deciding matches coming up, we are back to the same story, with English teams being repeatedly eliminated by Spanish sides.

If you actually watched La Liga regularly, you would know that the Spanish top teams are far from winning games on walkover every week. RM, Barca and Atlético are regularly tested in the league, often more so I might add than when they are facing the so called "cream of England". That RM and Barca are mostly winning the trophy is not really condenscending on behalf of domestic competition, since they also completely dominate in Europe! The only teams capable of eliminating either of them in Europe since 2013 is Atlético and Juventus...

Spain is dominating everywhere, both the best teams and second best teams. The EPL fanatics have nothing left in their favor than subjective and emotional theories which have no basis or justification in actual results.

Spain is dominating everywhere? Is that why the gates in the English Championship are higher than La Liga?Perhaos someone should tell the Spaniards that they’re missing out.

The parameters have never been shifted, English football culture is revered the world over. Quality is subjective, support and viewing figures aren’t.

You can try and sell La Liga until the cows come home, son, but everyone knows it’s a glorified Scottish Premiership, with Atletico doing their best to pull off an Aberdeen.

Your desperation is hilarious.

manchester vs Liverpool ensures one British team in the next round, which might otherwise not have happened. ;)

Hope not. His work has just begun.
    How stupid is this ?

New survey claims nearly half of England fans want World Cup boycott

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11292458/new-survey-claims-nearly-half-of-england-fans-want-world-cup-boycott
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 7,500

So you and @RC7 are altering the parameter now? It's no longer about which league has the best quality, it's about which league is most popular "exciting" (one team running away with the league before desember sure is nail biting btw... In Spain there is at least still a theoretical chance that Atlético might watch Barca). ;) If you are willing to stick to the actual topic, I can explain why the points you are making don't hold up:

Spain is dominating everywhere? Is that why the gates in the English Championship are higher than La Liga?Perhaos someone should tell the Spaniards that they’re missing out.

The parameters have never been shifted, English football culture is revered the world over. Quality is subjective, support and viewing figures aren’t.

You can try and sell La Liga until the cows come home, son, but everyone knows it’s a glorified Scottish Premiership, with Atletico doing their best to pull off an Aberdeen.

Your desperation is hilarious.

'Quality is subjective'??

Is that an attempt at self irony? ;)) Pretty much the only thing in football that is not subjective and can never be argued with, is results! Popularity however, is subjective by definition. Are you kidding me? The EPL might have won the marketing game, but that the best teams play in Spain has been very well documentet!

I am not sure who is being desperate here... ;))