"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    jobo wrote: »
    So much for 5 English clubs in the QFs.

Real, Bayern, Liverpool, Barca, Juve, Roma, Sevilla and City.

4 members of European royalty, a minor royal, two members of the aristocracy and a crass oil billionaire driving round in his gold Bugatti.

Will be an exciting draw! Hoping for Sevilla or Roma.

Aren't we all.

Afraid I don't subscribe to this 'well you have to play the best at some point so it doesn't matter when you face them' bollocks.

Ideal draw:

Real v Barca
    Juve v City
    Bayern v Roma
    Sevilla v Liverpool

Semis

Real v Juve
    Roma v Liverpool

Final
    Real v Liverpool

(Can't dodge all the big names and I think Real are the most beatable).
    So much for 5 English clubs in the QFs.

Real, Bayern, Liverpool, Barca, Juve, Roma, Sevilla and City.

4 members of European royalty, a minor royal, two members of the aristocracy and a crass oil billionaire driving round in his gold Bugatti.

Will be an exciting draw! Hoping for Sevilla or Roma.

Aren't we all.

Afraid I don't subscribe to this 'well you have to play the best at some point so it doesn't matter when you face them' bollocks.

Ideal draw:

Real v Barca
    Juve v City
    Bayern v Roma
    Sevilla v Liverpool

Semis

Real v Juve
    Roma v Liverpool

Final
    Real v Liverpool

(Can't dodge all the big names and I think Real are the most beatable).

Agree! We talked about Portugals and Germanys road to finals earlier. Two years ago Real Madrid faced Roma, Wolfsburg and a lackluster City on their way to the final. Lucky draws play a part no doubt. Playing huge games with maximum pressure drains energy. Facing easier teams on the road means you can mobilize more for those few matches that really matter. Playing more games with a low margin for error also increases the risk of bad luck or a bad day being fatal. The draw might influence who the eventual winner might be, just as much as which team is the best om paper.
  • RC7RC7
    As a neutral I’d quite like to see Liverpool v Bayern (Don’t think it’s happened competitively for nearly 40 years) and City v Barca.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 1,575
    Pepe is a cheat....... :)

Exclusive: Fifa expands investigation into Manchester City over possible breach of rules over foreign trainees

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/14/fifa-expand-investigation-manchester-city-possible-breach-rules/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Game over. Chelsea weren't horrible. Hit the bar twice, while Barca made the most out of their chances. Messi the key, no doubt.
    Over the moon we scored three away from home at hull Saturday! Shame we conceded four in the process! Lol! OTBC!!!!!

That must have been frustrating! At least Norwich got some attacking returns.

Your not kidding!!!

Just looked up some stats: A bit surprised to see that Nélson Oliveira isn't the top scorer in the team - but James Maddison is! Is Maddison playing in a very attacking role, even if he's a midfielder?

I would describe him as a creative, attacking midfielder which is why sadly why we will no doubt lose him come the end of the season! Especially with Premier League clubs sniffing around him.

Creative attacking midfielders are highly sought after, so there will surely be offers - especially with him making 12 goals so far. Maybe Farke has a few Borussia Dortmund II players he can bring to Norwich?

Wonder where Ryan Sessegnon ends up. He will have offers as well, and can actually end up getting promoted with Fulham!

Hopefully so?!!! Yeah, their is no way surely that Sessegnon will be at Fulham which ever division they are in?

Sp*rs have been linked, I think - as well as United. Would think that if he values playing time, staying at Fulham is key. But, as we all know there's always money involved, and Fulham will probably sell if the price demand is met.

Sadly the same goes for Norwich and Maddison!
    Game over. Chelsea weren't horrible. Hit the bar twice, while Barca made the most out of their chances. Messi the key, no doubt.
    Over the moon we scored three away from home at hull Saturday! Shame we conceded four in the process! Lol! OTBC!!!!!

That must have been frustrating! At least Norwich got some attacking returns.

Your not kidding!!!

Just looked up some stats: A bit surprised to see that Nélson Oliveira isn't the top scorer in the team - but James Maddison is! Is Maddison playing in a very attacking role, even if he's a midfielder?

I would describe him as a creative, attacking midfielder which is why sadly why we will no doubt lose him come the end of the season! Especially with Premier League clubs sniffing around him.

Creative attacking midfielders are highly sought after, so there will surely be offers - especially with him making 12 goals so far. Maybe Farke has a few Borussia Dortmund II players he can bring to Norwich?

Wonder where Ryan Sessegnon ends up. He will have offers as well, and can actually end up getting promoted with Fulham!

Hopefully so?!!! Yeah, their is no way surely that Sessegnon will be at Fulham which ever division they are in?

Sp*rs have been linked, I think - as well as United. Would think that if he values playing time, staying at Fulham is key. But, as we all know there's always money involved, and Fulham will probably sell if the price demand is met.

Sadly the same goes for Norwich and Maddison!

If they don't sell him to Sp*rs, I'd be very happy, that's for sure! :D
    Joe Hart in the England squad?

Why not Gazza as well if being good once is seemingly the only criteria to get you in?

His horrible fumble for the third Burnley goal should've been the final nail in his already closed coffin.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,302

Why not Gazza as well if being good once is seemingly the only criteria to get you in?

His horrible fumble for the third Burnley goal should've been the final nail in his already closed coffin.

Pope and Tarkowski in the squad is promising. Why not "Burnleyfy" the defense, adding Mee?

The upcoming matches for the Norwegian national team yet again didn't include APOEL's Ghayas Zahid. 4 goals and 7 assist, and a total playing time (so far) of 884 minutes in 2018. In comparison Mats Møller Dæhli, playing in the 2. Bundesliga for FC St. Pauli is included, having played a total of 17(!) minutes in 2018 - not having started a match since December 1st last year! What are they thinking?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

Pope and Tarkowski in the squad is promising. Why not "Burnleyfy" the defense, adding Mee?

Im guessing you're not quite international level mate. Badum tisss.
    DCisared wrote: »

Im guessing you're not quite international level mate. Badum tisss.

:))

Is Mawson better than Mee, though?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Lazio gone ahead at Dynamo with Ciro misging two big opportunities later on.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Lazio looking like making it through to the next round, then?
    Watching two games tonight: RB Salzburg-Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal-AC Milan.

AC Milan close to making it 0-1 (2-1 in total) in the first minute…
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Solid 0-2 victory. Up to the final eight!

Solid 0-2 victory. Up to the final eight!

That's a good away result! Always fun to watch Italian tams.

_________
    0-1 AC Milan, Calhanoglu…
    1-1, Welbeck! (Penalty)
    2-1, Xhaka! Straight at Donnarumma from distance, but the ball skidded away from his hands, and into the net.
    3-1, Welbeck!

All done at the Emirates. Arsenal makes it 5-1 over two fixtures, which can only be described as a good result. AC Milan had their chances throughout the match, but couldn't score more than the first goal. Arsenal did well with their chances.

RB Salzburg also knocks out Borussia Dortmund with the 0-0 result. Not the most eventful match, although Salzburg had a really good chance at the end of the match, but the shot hit the crossbar. Salzburg the better team over the two fixtures.
    WTF is Joe Hart doing in the England squad ????!!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    WTF is Joe Hart doing in the England squad ????!!

England are heading to the finals with Hart being the only gk with any international experience. Should have swapped him out ages ago.
  • RC7RC7
    Oof!
    Liverpool - City will be a cracking contest! Expecting a lot of goals.

Will be interesting to see what Juventus can show vs Real Madrid. They haven't impressed me much this season, but Real Madrid are definitely beatable if they can find their best form for these games.

Barcelona and Bayern are basically in the semi finals already. Very happy with that!
    Classic UEFA stitch up to get rid of the English teams as quick as possible.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    What a shit draw for the English teams.
    Liverpool v City

And some others.

The English teams should be happy they face each other! Otherwise no English teams in the semies would be likely! ;)
  • RC7RC7

The English teams should be happy they face each other! Otherwise no English teams in the semies would be likely! ;)

I reckon City would have Barca. On their day, Liverpool could too.
    Liverpool-City will be a must watch. Ruins my thinking about Fantasy the coming gameweeks, though…

I really, really want to see a Juventus masterclass against Real Madrid. In fact, I want Juventus to win the whole thing. Buffon deserves it.
    Arsenal to face CSKA Moscow!
    Atlético Madrid to face Sporting CP!
    Ooooh CSKA ? great draw !!
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 7,500
    RC7 wrote: »

I reckon City would have Barca. On their day, Liverpool could too.

The English have always been great at making predictions... Just like when you were all banking on at least four and possibly five teams in the quarter finals...

I heard no one complain when Liverpool, City and United were handed walkover draws in the last 16s. Yet now, there is suddenly a conspiracy against Brittish teams, despite the fact that Atlético and Real Madrid have met twice in the knockout stages (excluding both finals) during the last four seasons and Barca - Atlético have featured in two quarter finals since 2014.

But of course, don't let facts or history get in the way of the agenda! Just like with the claim that the PL is the best league...
    What is the best league?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ooooh CSKA ? great draw !!

Is it, though? Haven't seen CSKA play in the EL so far, so I have no idea what Arsenal should expect. They are currently second in the Russian league, behind Lokomotiv Moscow.

Ahmed Musa is on loan there, from Leicester, and Pontus Wernbloom plays there, as well.