"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 7,500
    @TheWizardOfIce

@Mendes4Lyfe basically answered this for me. You are honestly not making much sense. The fact of the matter is that united were playing at home, eight points behind, and you admit that City completely dominated the game. The fact that United with some luck could have gotten away with a point, does not alter the fact that this was a total knockout. City might have the best squad on paper, but it's still borderline embarrasing for the self proclaimed "best manager in the world" to be so completely off the pace with a squad that is also, not forget, worth billions. The league is basically lost in desember, and United were reduced to waving a white flag at home hoping to nick a point with some luck just like an underdog. Now that's humiliation right there! It is what you'd expect from Crystal Palace or Bournemoth.

You steadily claim that I am worshipping Pep. I am not. I'm watching events from a far, stating facts. If Jose was a genius, he would at least have made a competition out of this.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,279
    Arsenal to meet Östersunds FK in Europa League! On paper one of the easiest draws possible, but Östersund have been performing like no one could anticipate in the group stages. EL highlight there!

Östersund are managed by former Stoke City, Southampton and West Bromwich Albion full back Graham Potter.

jobo wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce

@Mendes4Lyfe basically answered this for me. You are honestly not making much sense. The fact of the matter is that united were playing at home, eight points behind, and you admit that City completely dominated the game. The fact that United with some luck could have gotten away with a point, does not alter the fact that this was a total knockout. City might have the best squad on paper, but it's still borderline embarrasing for the self proclaimed "best manager in the world" to be so completely off the pace with a squad that is also, not forget, worth billions. The league is basically lost in desember, and United were reduced to waving a white flag at home hoping to nick a point with some luck just like an underdog. Now that's humiliation right there! It is what you'd expect from Crystal Palace or Bournemoth.

You steadily claim that I am worshipping Pep. I am not. I'm watching events from a far, stating facts. If Jose was a genius, he would at least have made a competition out of this.

The only thing that can stop City by this point is the injuries in their defense. Stones is still out, and Kompany can't play too many matches before there's something that needs attention. Actually would have thought that United attacked more in this game.
    @TheWizardOfIce

TheWizardOfIce is living in a Dreamland.

He doesn't know. and doesn't want to know much about anything else except the EPL when it comes to football.

Wizzer you've been a disappointment so far this season.
    Pick up your game Son or you'll be on the bench. :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    @TheWizardOfIce

Of course in hindsight he might as well have gone for it and it wouldn't have mattered if they had lost 6-0.

With his best player suspended though I can see the logic behind his approach. Just keep in touch for now by taking a point and then start to ramp up the mind games after Christmas and see if they fold.

And at least he gives some thought about how best to stymie the opposition if they are better than his team rather than just playing the same way week in week out and having no tactical plan B (that's aimed at Jurgen and Wenger rather than Pep by the way). I'd sack Jurgen and take Jose in a heartbeat.

Pep may well be a great manager to be fair but it's difficult to tell since he always falls on his feet by having the best squad in the league. It would certainly be interesting to see him go somewhere where money wasn't in infinite supply.

Even if Pep strolls to the title his achievements are still nowhere near Cloughie with Derby and Forest, Fergie winning a European trophy with Aberdeen and Jose himself taking Porto to the European cup.

At this stage I'd have Sean Dyche as manager of the season by a country mile. It would be fascinating to have him and Pep swap clubs and see what happened. Probably he'd end up doing a Moyes at Utd but who knows!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    @TheWizardOfIce

Of course in hindsight he might as well have gone for it and it wouldn't have mattered if they had lost 6-0.

With his best player suspended though I can see the logic behind his approach. Just keep in touch for now by taking a point and then start to ramp up the mind games after Christmas and see if they fold.

And at least he gives some thought about how best to stymie the opposition if they are better than his team rather than just playing the same way week in week out and having no tactical plan B (that's aimed at Jurgen and Wenger rather than Pep by the way). I'd sack Jurgen and take Jose in a heartbeat.

Pep may well be a great manager to be fair but it's difficult to tell since he always falls on his feet by having the best squad in the league. It would certainly be interesting to see him go somewhere where money wasn't in infinite supply.

Even if Pep strolls to the title his achievements are still nowhere near Cloughie with Derby and Forest, Fergie winning a European trophy with Aberdeen and Jose himself taking Porto to the European cup.

At this stage I'd have Sean Dyche as manager of the season by a country mile. It would be fascinating to have him and Pep swap clubs and see what happened. Probably he'd end up doing a Moyes at Utd but who knows!

Jesus Christ, surely that comment about Pep having the best squads applies to your boyfriend Mourinho aswell?
    We all know what crap you would be spouting on here if klopp set Liverpool up in the big games the way the 'special one' does.
    At this stage im convinced you're actually Portuguese Pulis himself. It's nauseating.
    Im suspecting the little Englander in you hates anything German and because you're a miserable bastard in day to day life, you can't stand Klopp smiling and being positive most of the time.
    DCisared wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce

Jesus Christ, surely that comment about Pep having the best squads applies to your boyfriend Mourinho aswell?

Winning the European cup with Porto? Yeah mate they were packed with the cream of Europe at the time.
    We all know what crap you would be spouting on here if klopp set Liverpool up in the big games the way the 'special one' does.

Would that I ever get the chance. But yeah you're right I much prefer him setting up to attack constantly and have a defence as wide open as that bloke in Barrymore's pool's arsecheeks.

So far in the 'big games' this season we've smashed Arsenal (does that even count as a big game anymore?), drawn with the scum and Chelsea (both at home) and been viciously Fritzled by Spurs and City. Goals for: 6, Goals against: 10.

So yeah I take your point. The way he's setting up at the moment is really working spectacularly ain't it.
    At this stage im convinced you're actually Portuguese Pulis himself. It's nauseating.
    Im suspecting the little Englander in you hates anything German and because you're a miserable bastard in day to day life, you can't stand Klopp smiling and being positive most of the time.

Rather inane comment since you know nothing about me but given I'm currently writing this in Berlin over a nice weißbier you can think what you like.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/10/liverpool-lost-points-winning-positions-jurgen-klopp-side-europe-7147747/

That's why I criticise Klopp. The guy could be from Mars or from Bootle but it doesn't change the cold hard facts that he's not delivering. Sorry to be the one to highlight it but don't lash out at me because Liverpool's season is crumbling before your eyes and just because Klopp is an affable bloke doesn't change that.

And incidentally I haven't seen him smile for quite a few weeks now unless it's after we have raped some accommodating side like West Ham or Spartak. He wasn't smiling after the Spurs game, or the Sevilla game, or the Chelsea game, or Everton yesterday. And those are just in the last month or so.

I haven't been smiling since our shambles of a transfer window.

That said Porto an eminently winnable fixture. Forget the league as we'll be lucky to finish 4th as it is and even when we do, as has been proven in the last window, we won't invest heavily. But as Rafa proved the CL is winnable with an average squad.

Beat Porto and then get a decent draw and with the Anfield roar on a European night and a bit of luck who knows? If Djimi Traore can blag a CL winners medal maybe Moreno and Klavan can too?*

*But probably not.

RogueAgent wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Wow ,Klopp was one angry bunny !!!

Hahah (Klopp inpression), yes! The journo had one difficult interviewee, that for sure! Just saw the Mourinho interview as well. Exemplary in comparison!
    Can't believe we are losing at home yet again! What on earth is going on?!

How was the game?

Watching Newcastle-Leicester right now. 2-2 went to 2-3 from an own goal. Tense game, this.

That is way better boys! Finally a win at home 3-1. Really hoping for a rewarding festive points period now and hopefully put ourselves back in the play off picture?!!!!

3-1? Impressive!

Long overdue my friend, players finally recovering from injury and now able to play makes a huge difference!

No doubt about that. Must be a good result going into the game at Elland Road!

Definitely a good result. Leeds will be a tough match! Hoping for a positive result so I can wind up a couple of the lads at work! Lol!

Let's hope for a good result then! Nélson Oliveira is a name that has come up on some goal notifications lately. Good player?

Suffered bad groin injury which has taken an awful long time to recover from. Portuguese international who certainly has presence and is not shy in putting himself about which I like.

Hahah (Klopp inpression), yes! The journo had one difficult interviewee, that for sure! Just saw the Mourinho interview as well. Exemplary in comparison!

How was the game?

Watching Newcastle-Leicester right now. 2-2 went to 2-3 from an own goal. Tense game, this.

That is way better boys! Finally a win at home 3-1. Really hoping for a rewarding festive points period now and hopefully put ourselves back in the play off picture?!!!!

3-1? Impressive!

Long overdue my friend, players finally recovering from injury and now able to play makes a huge difference!

Definitely a good result. Leeds will be a tough match! Hoping for a positive result so I can wind up a couple of the lads at work! Lol!

Let's hope for a good result then! Nélson Oliveira is a name that has come up on some goal notifications lately. Good player?

Suffered bad groin injury which has taken an awful long time to recover from. Portuguese international who certainly has presence and is not shy in putting himself about which I like.

Seems like a player one would need to climb in the league!

How was the game?

3-1? Impressive!

He has a bit of arrogance about him like Diego Costa. Just hope now he is fit that he can put the ball in the net a lot more often.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,279

How was the game?

3-1? Impressive!

He has a bit of arrogance about him like Diego Costa. Just hope now he is fit that he can put the ball in the net a lot more often.

That seems like a good quality to have – in any team. Even though I'm no fan of Costa, I sure wouldn't mind that kind of player in Arsenal or Rosenborg. Playing a bit "on the edge" seems to bring results.

________

Burnley up to fourth and Palace winning. Will be interesting to see the table tomorrow night!
    Such a dull set of results no one could even be bothered to comment.

City romp it.
    Utd scrape a win.
    Chelsea keep ticking over
    Liverpool and Arsenal lose more ground in labouring to a point against a shit team.

Rinse and respeat for another 21 games and then we can be done with this damp squib of a league campaign and concentrate on the World Cup.
    Damp squib of a World Cup
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well I'll just drop in a comment about Leicester finally waking up after a honeymoon period that lasted 18 months.

All too late of course if a back in form Mahrez scarpers in January (and let's face it, his suitcase is packed), but with young Grey, young Chilwell and young Maguire all established in Puel's team we maybe, just maybe, have a decent enough squad sans Mahrez to plough on for a top 7 finish.

Assuming Arsenal continue to slide, and Burnley lose their momentum of course.
    Claude Puel really have been good for Leicester. To think Southampton didn't want him to stay on is crazy.
    Claude Puel really have been good for Leicester. To think Southampton didn't want him to stay on is crazy.

He did very well at Southampton as well,top 10 finish and runners up in a very even cup final.
    He is a very quiet man and just gets on with his job.
    Impressive.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

He did very well at Southampton as well,top 10 finish and runners up in a very even cup final.
    Impressive.

Indeed. Accused of being negative at Saints, but maybe you work with what you have? Leicester are a naturally attacking unit, Puel recognises it, and has exploited it. He's getting more rounded games out of the likes of Okazaki, Vardy and Grey than any manager before. I'm quietly impressed.
    NicNac wrote: »

Impressive.

Indeed. Accused of being negative at Saints, but maybe you work with what you have? Leicester are a naturally attacking unit, Puel recognises it, and has exploited it. He's getting more rounded games out of the likes of Okazaki, Vardy and Grey than any manager before. I'm quietly impressed.

He works in a quiet way just as Ranieri did,maybe the players appreciate that more.

edited December 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Indeed that was the standout result of the night.

Dare say ungrateful Southampton fans probably thinking they never had it so good under unassuming old Claude. Thought him getting binned was a disgrace frankly but he seems to have bounced back and Leicester reaping the rewards while Southampton starting to get sucked into the relegation zone.
    I cant see Pellegrino lasting much longer at St Mary's .
    1 or 2 more matches max I would think.
    They wont want him spending their money in the January window if they are considering sacking him.
    I cant see Pellegrino lasting much longer at St Mary's .
    1 or 2 more matches max I would think.
    They wont want him spending their money in the January window if they are considering sacking him.

Difficult times, indeed. Their still 11th, though (where you'd expect them to be, maybe?), but face Chelsea, Sp*rs and United in the next four. They did have a good game against City, so a couple of wins in the next four will make a case for Pellegrino to stay.
    Zinedine Zidane has called Real Madrid transfer target Mo Salah a "great player" who is continuously improving. The Egyptian has starred since moving to Liverpool from Roma in the summer and that has led to reports Real are considering a big-money move for the 25-year-old. (Marca)

001 wrote: »
    Zinedine Zidane has called Real Madrid transfer target Mo Salah a "great player" who is continuously improving. The Egyptian has starred since moving to Liverpool from Roma in the summer and that has led to reports Real are considering a big-money move for the 25-year-old. (Marca)

Good deal! They get Salah, we get Coutinho. Barca fans rejoice!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,575
    001 wrote: »

Good deal! They get Salah, we get Coutinho. Barca fans rejoice!

NO Deal........................

Maybe barca should sign lukaku...............:)
    Tough away game at Leeds later today! Come on lads! You are capable of a result!! OTBC!!!
    Looks like Stoke will soon have to sign Pulis again to keep them up.

Expect this to become increasingly common as there is pretty much no club in the bottom half that Pulis and Big Sam haven't managed at least once.

Soon you'll be needing to sack your manager in pre season to have a chance of securing their services such will be the competition to get them. It's a like a school disco - if you wait too long you'll end up lumbered with the fat girl.

It's astonishing Swansea haven't moved for Pulis yet because soon someone like Stoke or Southampton will nip in.

In the game of securing one of the two anti relegation leviathans you snooze you lose. Everton realised this and moved quickly so now it's up to the quickest chairman to act and grab the Tony lifebelt first.
    Lost again! Gutted! Definitely another season in the Championship for my boys now.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Where's the red card for Otamendi?
    Spurs should down to 9. Harry and Dele very fortunate to still be on the pitch.
    City are just too good! Tottenham is no pub team!
    Could have been three read cards in the City-Sp*rs game. None given. At least it was a biased decision by the ref… Just can't believe how those challenges weren't regarded as any more than a yellow.