"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Nightmare few minutes for gunners
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 17,295
    Man, the work that needs to be done before next season is just so... Something needs to be done.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    What a dive! No contact!

Given you're so keen to see penalty rules fairly enforced anytime you want to similarly highlight how Sanchez clearly handballed it we're on tenterhooks...?
    Did not see that situation. Was probably eyeballing the liquor cabinet or something...
    Spurs are a good side
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,117
    I'm not trying take the piss or anything here but I genuinely only just noticed Ozil was playing.

Thought he must have come on as a sub and I missed it but no he's been on the field from the start.
    Thought the same his push on Ali was probably the most effort he has put in all game, this Arsenal team peaked a few seasons ago and are going backward.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 17,295
    I'm not trying take the piss or anything here but I genuinely only just noticed Ozil was playing.

Thought he must have come on as a sub and I missed it but no he's been on the field from the start.

Özil's been missing all season, not counting the game against Ludogorets. But so has the whole team at times.
    Spurs got to be disappointed they didn't score more. But there again perhaps they were just being kind as hammering Arsenal these days is like kicking a kitten to death - not very difficult but you look bad doing it on telly.
  • RC7RC7
    Spurs got to be disappointed they didn't score more. But there again perhaps they were just being kind as hammering Arsenal these days is like kicking a kitten to death - not very difficult but you look bad doing it on telly.

Could've easily scored 4/5.
    What a joke Utd, Liverpool and City are.

Largely thanks to their rank ineptitude Wenger has a real chance of saving his bacon by sneaking 4th with his usual run of championship winning form at the end of the season when it's too late.

I've thought those 3 are pretty poor for a while, but Arsenal are no better. It's a real snail's race to get 3rd and 4th now.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,295
    With that horrible game yesterday, I'm hoping Rosenborg can deliver a good performance tonight. A few bad games up to now, so an improvement is needed to get all three points.

UPDATE: That got intense. Comfortable lead by Lord Bendnter after 8 minutes. Then not much happened until second half. After a bit of pressure from Sarpsborg 08, the game opened up with 1-1, before Rosenborg came back with 1-2. Then a unnecessary (and a bit unfairly given?) red card for Jevtović opened the game up again, but Rosenborg made it to a decent victory. Now on to Watford - Liverpool . Can Watford make the top 4 a bit exciting?
    What a goal by Can
    Saw a replay right now. Oh my, that was sure something! Doesn't look like Watford have a goal in them tonight, either. Decent away game by Liverpool it seems.

For Arsenal fans - not to bad a goal by Bendtner tonight:
    Alas I was hoping Looserpool were going to slip up tonight.
    Alas I was hoping Looserpool were going to slip up tonight.

Came really close to a draw with that Prödl shot!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,151
    Another decent away win for my beloved Liverpool, without playing to their best. Closer thing at the end, but the goal from Can worthy of winning any game of football.

On another note, the team where I was born, Linfield, also won the Northern Irish league and the team where I live now, non league Lancaster City won their league title and all in tribute to former captain Neil Marshall who lost his battle with cancer during the season.
    Fair play to Liverpool for making the most of other results going their way tonight away from home.
    Top four probably safe for 'pool now. City with three home games left(?) will probably end up fourth now, won't they?
    Top four probably safe for 'pool now. City with three home games left(?) will probably end up fourth now, won't they?

Their is probably a twist or two yet?
    Think United will miss out on top four now, Jose has to prioritise Europa which I expect him to do now.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Their is probably a twist or two yet?
    Think United will miss out on top four now, Jose has to prioritise Europa which I expect him to do now.

This is why I believe Liverpool and City will take third and fourth. An United with a lot of injuries, eying and opportunity winning the Europa League - and three away games left in the PL on top of that.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Injuries have derailed Uniteds run in, looking at May schedule some players just would not get time to recoup.

4 May - UEFA Europa League Semi-final, Game 1
    20:05

Celta Vigo

Man United

7 May - Premier League
    16:00

Arsenal

Man United

11 May - UEFA Europa League Semi-final, Game 2
    20:05

Man United

Celta Vigo

14 May - Premier League
    16:30

Tottenham

Man United

17 May - Premier League
    19:45

Southampton

Man United

21 May - Premier League
    15:00

Man United

Crystal Palace

...and Hopefully Europa final, Jose has to show what a great manager he is with this depleted squad. Currently Uniteds squad depth is not good enough.
    I think it's the FA Cup or nothing now....we are cocking it up in the league AGAIN.
    Tonight's match in the Europa league semi-finals had a first match as the 4th of May is remembrance day in the Netherlands, and the UEFA permitted the game a day earlier.
    Ajax Amsterdam vs Lyon was an amazing game with a economic Ajax first half scoring twice from 3 chances. The second half was madness but the boys from Amsterdam walked of the pitch with a 4-1 win. But the second half was why people enjoy football sheer fun and enough to watch for any supporter.
    And Juve did Monaco no favors with a 2-0 win.

I expect a final between Juve and Real Madrid it is going to be hoot and a half.
  • RC7RC7
    Nice work Ajax. Hoping they make the final and that my team can join them. An Ajax - Utd final would be one of great European pedigree.
    Get in Rashford United 1 up away to Celta... Great goal
    Celta haven't have been in bad skape lately. Should have put up a better fight.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    Celta haven't have been in bad skape lately. Should have put up a better fight.

Was expecting more. They were poor.